HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 07, 2012, 04:46 PM
United States, CA, Placerville
Joined Feb 2006
652 Posts
OK, guess it is time to be a squeaky wheel again. Some of us have been waiting for months for a small change to the latest release software to raise the storage charge voltage value from approx 3.79V per cell to something more like 3.85V per cell. Will we ever see this change or is V1.19 an end of life software release? We have been told the request is with the developers (for months), guess the question becomes is will it ever be addressed?

I understand it is not technically an error, the storage charge voltage is within acceptable ranges, however, for those of us charging large high capacity packs (10S), the charge time from storage to full charge for flying is unnecessarily extended using the 3.79V per cell default, even with the higher charge rates.

thanks
Don
DonA is online now Find More Posts by DonA
Last edited by DonA; Aug 20, 2012 at 10:25 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2012, 02:50 PM
Joined Dec 2010
3 Posts
I charged yesterday with one of my 10XP Cellpro charger 2 TP G6 25C 5S 5000 mah without any issue.
Today without changing anything, same conditions, same configuration, same pack, I'm getting a Chanel 1 Bad S Count message.
I changed all the cables working perfectly with another one 10XP charger, changed batteries, try to reinstall the firmware twice, switched on, off the power ....still the same message...
Any idea if there is something I can do before shipping it back for repair ?
Regards
L.
lidianis is offline Find More Posts by lidianis
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:54 PM
United States, CA, Berkeley
Joined Aug 2007
118 Posts
It may be just a poor balancer connector. When I started charging some packs again that I hadn't been using for a while, I was stunned by similar messages that I did not understand. Check your individual connector pins closely.
All Electric is offline Find More Posts by All Electric
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:17 AM
Pullin' G's Man
Ossining, NY
Joined Dec 2005
1,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by All Electric View Post
It may be just a poor balancer connector. When I started charging some packs again that I hadn't been using for a while, I was stunned by similar messages that I did not understand. Check your individual connector pins closely.
I agree that this is one of the few options left.

However, early on in this thread I had a similar problem with the XP and tried every combination of battery/balance board/charge wire in my collection - which was quite a bit - and it still wouldn't work. Got a replacement right away (great service from Progressive RC!) and subsequently bought another XP and have hundreds of charges on both units without a hiccup. I fly Pattern and nearly all my charging is 2 x 5000mAh in series at 10A charge rate which takes about 25 minutes with a 24v power supply.
cmoulder is offline Find More Posts by cmoulder
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:15 AM
AR-15 BRD!
Frederick, MD
Joined May 2002
1,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lidianis View Post
I charged yesterday with one of my 10XP Cellpro charger 2 TP G6 25C 5S 5000 mah without any issue.
Today without changing anything, same conditions, same configuration, same pack, I'm getting a Chanel 1 Bad S Count message.
I changed all the cables working perfectly with another one 10XP charger, changed batteries, try to reinstall the firmware twice, switched on, off the power ....still the same message...
Any idea if there is something I can do before shipping it back for repair ?
Regards
L.
Hi,

Please make sure you are only connecting the RJ1 pigtail to the charger. If you connect both pigtails to the charger on a 5S pack, it will error. If this is correct, please take a continuity reading between the two center banana jacks, this is the red (positive) of channel 1 to the black (negative) of channel 2. It should read a closed circuit, if this reads open then you blew the internal fuse between these posts and it must be replaced. Please let me know how you make out, thanks.
Howard Matos is offline Find More Posts by Howard Matos
Old Sep 13, 2012, 02:37 PM
Italy, Lazio, Rome
Joined Aug 2011
51 Posts
On connecting the MPA at which port do I have to connect the connector with the black wire?
alexvan is offline Find More Posts by alexvan
Old Sep 13, 2012, 02:49 PM
Italy, Lazio, Rome
Joined Aug 2011
51 Posts
I had a strange issue with a new 10xp connected to an MPA with revolectrix cable. I connected a single lipo to the boar discconected and a couple of indicators changed to red on different positions (one where i connected the lipo and one on a place where there wasn't any lipo connected). I unplugged all the cables, replugged and all worked fine. Any idea? Is it safe using this charger?

Thanks.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:01 AM
AR-15 BRD!
Frederick, MD
Joined May 2002
1,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexvan View Post
I had a strange issue with a new 10xp connected to an MPA with revolectrix cable. I connected a single lipo to the boar discconected and a couple of indicators changed to red on different positions (one where i connected the lipo and one on a place where there wasn't any lipo connected). I unplugged all the cables, replugged and all worked fine. Any idea? Is it safe using this charger?

Thanks.
Hi,

It sounds like something was shorted on the wiring. The indicators alert you if there is a problem. Let me know if you continue to have a problem, thanks.
Howard Matos is offline Find More Posts by Howard Matos
Old Sep 26, 2012, 07:51 PM
United States, UT, Highland
Joined Jun 2006
1,207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonA View Post
OK, guess it is time to be a squeaky wheel again. Some of us have been waiting for months for a small change to the latest release software to raise the storage charge voltage value from approx 3.79V per cell to something more like 3.85V per cell. Will we ever see this change or is V1.19 an end of life software release? We have been told the request is with the developers (for months), guess the question becomes is will it ever be addressed?

I understand it is not technically an error, the storage charge voltage is within acceptable ranges, however, for those of us charging large high capacity packs (10S), the charge time from storage to full charge for flying is unnecessarily extended using the 3.79V per cell default, even with the higher charge rates.

thanks
Don
Well I'd vote for the higher storage charge voltage since that's what I'm used to seeing with my Muti 4S on the smaller LiPo's but I just got into bigger electric powered stuff and bought two 10XP chargers. Trying to set a new pair of TP five cell 5000mah packs wired in series to the storage voltage the charger got pretty warm before I shut it off besides the time required and never did get to the 3.79 volts. How warm is this thing supposed to get on a discharge and when do we get the higher storage charge voltage?
Zeeb is offline Find More Posts by Zeeb
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:03 PM
United States, CA, Placerville
Joined Feb 2006
652 Posts
Like Zeeb said, we are still waiting for any information on whether or not the firmware fix will come for the 3.79V storage value.

However, I have a new issue. About 2 weeks ago, I got a IR reading that was way over what I typically get with the XP for a known set of 10S (2 5S packs in series) that are fairly new. Basically, the norm for these packs is approx 2.5 mohm per cell and suddenly the XP was reporting 20+ for the IR. Basically 10 times the normal value. All other functions seemed to work as expected.

First thing I did was clean all the balance connectors which made no difference on the next charge. Then I reloaded the 1.19 firmware and that seemed to fix the issue for about 2 charges then the anomoly came back. The erroneous IR always seems to be 10X the norm like the decimal point shifted one position to the right.

I then took the balance and charge leads and used a friend's 10S and IR values were reported 'normally', back in the 2+ range.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Don
DonA is online now Find More Posts by DonA
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:36 PM
Italy, Lazio, Rome
Joined Aug 2011
51 Posts
How the charger behavior is impacted by selecting a single or dual channel preset? May I use a single preset for charging lipos on only a channel or both based on the number of wires connected?

Thanks!
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:13 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexvan View Post
How the charger behavior is impacted by selecting a single or dual channel preset? May I use a single preset for charging lipos on only a channel or both based on the number of wires connected?

Thanks!
Hi:

Only difference between Single and Dual Channel operation is how balancing is completed. In Single Channel, all the cells from both packs connected are balanced against each other. In Dual Channel operation, the cells from Ch A are balanced only against each other, and the cells in Ch B are balanced only against each other.

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Old Oct 15, 2012, 04:19 PM
Joined Oct 2012
3 Posts
I have been using a 10xp for nearly a year and it's been a great charger. I recently got involved in 1/12th scale pan car racing and would like to know if there's any way to charge a 1s lipo pack at anything greater than 2a... These are high capacity (6000+ mAh), quality cells and I'd like to be able to utilize my nice Revolectrix charger rather than my old accucell6 I keep around for cycling transmitter and receiver packs.

Any ideas?
needknees is offline Find More Posts by needknees
Old Oct 15, 2012, 04:31 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,698 Posts
You have to make up an adapter which has two connectors on it.
One connector will have two banana plugs (one for (+) and the other for (-).These will connect to the (+) and (-) of the battery.
The other connector will be a balance connector. Select one that matches your current CellPro 10XP adapter board. Connect the outboard wires to the (+) and (-) of your battery. Be sure to observe the correct polarity on the balance connector.

Connect both sets of connectors to the 10XP just as if it were a two or three cell pack. The 10XP will recognize the single cell and charge it at any current you select.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Last edited by ggcrandall1; Oct 15, 2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:36 PM
Joined Oct 2012
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1 View Post
You have to make up an adapter which has two connectors on it.
One connector will have two banana plugs (one for (+) and the other for (-).These will connect to the (+) and (-) of the battery.
The other connector will be a balance connector. Select one that matches your current CellPro 10XP adapter board. Connect the outboard wires to the (+) and (-) of your battery. Be sure to observe the correct polarity on the balance connector.

Connect both sets of connectors to the 10XP just as if it were a two or three cell pack. The 10XP will recognize the single cell and charge it at any current you select.

Glen
Made a connector similar to this and it works just fine . Thank you for the advice.
needknees is offline Find More Posts by needknees