HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 21, 2012, 05:10 PM
Joined Jul 2010
30 Posts
Hi,
Thanks all for the replies. Could we have a firmware update to resolve this? I think the general consensus amongst the many forums I frequent is that ideal storage state is around 3.85v per cell. Like said, it's not currently horribly out of line, but a little low I think.
Three6ty is offline Find More Posts by Three6ty
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2012, 06:08 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three6ty View Post
Hi,
Thanks all for the replies. Could we have a firmware update to resolve this? I think the general consensus amongst the many forums I frequent is that ideal storage state is around 3.85v per cell. Like said, it's not currently horribly out of line, but a little low I think.
Do you really think that being .05 to .07 volts low is a large enough difference to be concerned about? It is my understanding the anything between 3.70 to 4.00 volts is good for storage. My 10XP finishes in the 3.79 range. I know that 3.85 volts is considered perfect but I am not sure I need to worry about my batteries finishing a bit lower than that.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is online now Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Mar 22, 2012, 04:37 PM
Joined Jul 2010
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1 View Post
Do you really think that being .05 to .07 volts low is a large enough difference to be concerned about? It is my understanding the anything between 3.70 to 4.00 volts is good for storage. My 10XP finishes in the 3.79 range. I know that 3.85 volts is considered perfect but I am not sure I need to worry about my batteries finishing a bit lower than that.

Glen
I guess when you put it like that, maybe I'm worrying over nothing
Three6ty is offline Find More Posts by Three6ty
Old Mar 22, 2012, 11:37 PM
United States, CA, Placerville
Joined Feb 2006
624 Posts
Actually, I would prefer to be toward the top end of the storage voltage 'window'. I am typically charging 10S 5000mah packs which means I am pushing the capability of the charger. The lower storage voltage means my charging time for the next day flying is longer.

It is a little baffling to me how 3.7xV was chosen as the storage voltage rather than the traditional 3.85V/cell.

Don
DonA is online now Find More Posts by DonA
Old Mar 23, 2012, 06:28 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,636 Posts
For overnight storage I would use 4.0 per cell for Storage thus why not consider creating a custom preset or just stop the charge at the start of CV / 90% level using Longer Life Preset or even 4.1 is not really going to make a great deal of difference especially if you keep them in a cool location.

Years ago one of the regulars here charged all of his LiPolys to 4.1 ,stored them in a frig. removed from frig .drove to field topped them off ,flew and at home charged back to 4.1 and placed back in frig. That was back in the 10C discharge rate days and his lasted for years. He flew typical .60 to .90 glow size models, mostly war birds P-51 etc.

He is French, name like Jocke from memory and posted photos of his red metal tool box in his frig.

I use to use 4.0 for short term such as a week or so for my frequently flown LiPolys to shorten the charging times at 1 to 3C now that I charge at 3 to 5C and higher and have many 20 to 40A capable chargers it takes me only 12min. on avaerage to go from 3.7 -3.85 to 4.2 so no big deal.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Mar 23, 2012 at 06:56 AM.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 08:20 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,636 Posts
I just took one of my test LiPolys a 3S 2250 ,charged it to 3.9 per cell and did a Storage charge on my CP10XP ,cells are at 3.816 / 3.816 / 3.816

Firmware V 1.19

I have not updated this one since ,well a while .

I left LiPoly connected and started another Storage cycle and now it is Discharging so perhaps the End Voltage of Storage depends on the Starting voltage of the cells.

Second Storage ended with cells at 3.802.

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Mar 23, 2012 at 08:25 AM.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 08:31 AM
Pullin' G's Man
Ossining, NY
Joined Dec 2005
1,005 Posts
I checked for a firmware update just the other day when I had the CCS link hooked up to change custom pre-sets and there was none. Still V 1.19 unless it was updated very recently - as in the last couple of days.

Bob
cmoulder is offline Find More Posts by cmoulder
Old Mar 23, 2012, 09:50 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,636 Posts
You are aware of

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1556026

Not saying there is an update there either as I have never used that site myself.

Charles
Old Mar 23, 2012, 12:02 PM
Joined Feb 2006
624 Posts
Charles, I experienced the same thing, the 'storage' function is unpredictable. If you are charging from a low voltage, it may terminate well below 3.8V then if you restart it, it will bring the voltage up to around 3.8V, might take a couple tries. If you are discharging to 'storage', results are similar.

I really like the charger, especially the higher charge currents available, it is just this one 'thing' that I have reported, I am told it is being investigated by the software engineers.

I replaced my 10S chargers with the 10XP, my buddy using my old 10S's is still going strong. I only replaced to get the higher charge rates and the 10XP is still the same handy size.

I will try your suggestion of setting up a preset with a 3.9V or so ending voltage. Should work fine.

Don
Old Mar 23, 2012, 07:09 PM
Pullin' G's Man
Ossining, NY
Joined Dec 2005
1,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
You are aware of

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1556026

Not saying there is an update there either as I have never used that site myself.

Charles
Thanks.

No, I was not aware of that thread nor the business integration, but I went through Revolectrix for the update. It seems they have been working toward that one brand for some time and it is certainly less confusing for consumers to have it unified at last.

Bob
cmoulder is offline Find More Posts by cmoulder
Old Mar 24, 2012, 02:24 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonA View Post
I will try your suggestion of setting up a preset with a 3.9V or so ending voltage. Should work fine.Don
The 10XP does not have the option of setting the termination voltage to 3.9V.

Glen
Old Mar 24, 2012, 04:00 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,596 Posts
Here are two storage charges I ran this morning. One was from a battery discharged to 6% and the other from a battery fully charged.

As you can see both charges ended up about 3.8V per cell. 3.79 in one case and 3.82 in the other. These appear to be similar to other chargers I have used. They rarely stop and the same voltage coming down as coming up. Yes they do miss the ideal(???) of 3.85V by about .05V. However I don't think that is significant. These figures are representative of other tests I have run on this charger.

Glen

Well I goofed here. The second charge had not finished when I posted the data. I had another charger running and when it ended I thought it was the 10XP so I uploaded the graphs. The finish cell volts for the STORE charge from 100% was 3.79V for each cell not 3.82V.

Glen
Last edited by ggcrandall1; Mar 24, 2012 at 04:19 AM. Reason: Additional comment
Old Mar 24, 2012, 05:20 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonA View Post
I really like the charger, especially the higher charge currents available, it is just this one 'thing' that I have reported, I am told it is being investigated by the software engineers.
Don
Don, Do you recall where you heard that the Storage Charge problem was being investigated by the software engineers? I am trying to get as much information as possible together to maybe make a case to present to FMA. I realize I have previously posted that the difference is not that significant to me but if enough users are having concerns FMA may put some manpower on it. But I know they are busy and we would have to have significant data to present to make a case for an upgrade.

Thanks, Glen
Old Mar 24, 2012, 12:18 PM
Joined Feb 2006
624 Posts
Glen, my information is from FMA directly. I agree this is not a critical issue nor a bug per se, more of an inconvenience factor for me. There are probably more issues of higher priority for FMA however lower priority items should automatically begin to rise to the surface due to aging (standard prioritization process in software development).

The other thing to consider (and this is just my opinion) is the 10XP is probably an 'end of life' product and will not be significantly enhanced to increase it's product life. This is another standard product process (often called a mid-life kicker) to give existing platforms a longer life by increasing capability or performance without an investment in the physical platform (case, switches. fans. connectors, etc). My guess is we won't see a 10XP-2 since the current platform is probably at it's physical limits for heat control and max current capability.

Don
Last edited by DonA; Mar 24, 2012 at 12:19 PM. Reason: typo
Old Mar 24, 2012, 01:24 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,596 Posts
Don,

I expect you are close to right. But maybe someone else will chime in. If there is no more conversation on the subject then the issue is probably closed.

Glen