Originally Posted by racerboy65 View Post
Hooked up ohm meter and it reads 0.00
Found my problem bad charging lead I must have a bad solder joint
racerboy65 is offline Find More Posts by racerboy65
Old Feb 19, 2012, 03:54 PM
United States, MI, Durand
Joined Feb 2004
67 Posts
I have a question about the Power Management options. I understand the current limiting. But on the voltage part, if I'm using a power supply (in my case 27v) do I want to set this to equal the supply voltage or just leave it at the default setting? I'm guessing the charger will sense the input voltage, what this is meant to do is tell the charger what minimum voltage it senses is required to start a charge.
jones04 is offline Find More Posts by jones04
Old Feb 19, 2012, 04:58 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,640 Posts
The low voltage set point is to shut the charger down if the power supply voltage drops below the set point. Set it a little bit below the power supply voltage.

In the Charge Control Software (CCS) if you click your mouse on the text you will bring up an explanation. BTW this works on all of the screens.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Feb 19, 2012, 05:39 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1 View Post
The low voltage set point is to shut the charger down if the power supply voltage drops below the set point. Set it a little bit below the power supply voltage.

In the Charge Control Software (CCS) if you click your mouse on the text you will bring up an explanation. BTW this works on all of the screens.

Glen
Hi:

Depending on the power supply being used, in some cases, you may need to set the low voltage substantially lower than the PSU's rated output voltage. You can try something like 24VDC, but if you see Safety Codes generated from a low voltage input, try going a couple volts lower. Sometimes the PSU will sag during charging, and sometimes there could be a as much as 5v of noise on the power supply when drawing high current during high charge rate charging.

Don't worry, this is normal if you are drawing at or near the current rating of the power supply.

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Old Mar 03, 2012, 01:13 PM
let's brm together!
Czech Republic, Prague
Joined Nov 2011
390 Posts
I have a question about parallel charge - I'm trying to charge two 3S batteries, battery 1 is connected to the left side, battery 2 to the right side. Battery 1 is connected with the balance plug to CH1, battery 2 is connected to CH2.
I have two balance harnesses - one is an original FMA JST/XH balance board for 10xp, the other one I made myselft. It is connected correctly (FMA mode) - I made it just for 3S batteries since I don't use anything else. Both harnesses work fine when charging only one pack, but if I connect two batteries I always get "CH1 bad cell count". Any idea?
zviratko is offline Find More Posts by zviratko
Old Mar 03, 2012, 02:07 PM
let's brm together!
Czech Republic, Prague
Joined Nov 2011
390 Posts
I probably figured it out - fuse between the yellow banana plugs is blown. This is strange because I have NEVER connected anything there.
zviratko is offline Find More Posts by zviratko
Old Mar 03, 2012, 07:22 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zviratko View Post
I probably figured it out - fuse between the yellow banana plugs is blown. This is strange because I have NEVER connected anything there.
Hi:

Howard Matos posted this helpful document in a different thread here on the FMA RCG forum:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...39&postcount=7

If you are not comfortable doing the work, email Howard:

howard@fmadirect.com

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Old Mar 18, 2012, 03:13 PM
Joined Jul 2010
35 Posts
Hi,
Quick question about storage charge on this charger. It seems very low to me. Quite often I will bring my 450 pro in with around 25 to 30% left in the pack. Put packs on the charger to get to storage if I know I'm not going out for a while and it will start dis-charging the packs further. I thought the packs needed to be around the 50% mark for storage charge. I end up putting them on charge till they get up to the 3.86v ish mark per cell to get around the desired 50%.
Is there a bug in the latest software for the charger or is it correct putting them down in the low 3.7v range. If that's the case I could possibly leave them as they are after a flight, but that does not seem right to me.
Any info greatly appreciated.
Cheers, Rich
Three6ty is offline Find More Posts by Three6ty
Old Mar 18, 2012, 05:08 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three6ty View Post
Hi,
Quick question about storage charge on this charger. It seems very low to me. Quite often I will bring my 450 pro in with around 25 to 30% left in the pack. Put packs on the charger to get to storage if I know I'm not going out for a while and it will start dis-charging the packs further. I thought the packs needed to be around the 50% mark for storage charge. I end up putting them on charge till they get up to the 3.86v ish mark per cell to get around the desired 50%.
Is there a bug in the latest software for the charger or is it correct putting them down in the low 3.7v range. If that's the case I could possibly leave them as they are after a flight, but that does not seem right to me.
Cheers, Rich
What packs are you using?
What are the voltages you see when you say your packs are 25 to 30%?

Glen
Last edited by ggcrandall1; Mar 18, 2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 06:18 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,640 Posts
A Storage Charge

A Blue LiPo 3S 2200mah 30C to storage charge. The pack was at about 60%, 3.90V per cell at the start.

Glen
Old Mar 20, 2012, 05:48 PM
United States, CA, Placerville
Joined Feb 2006
645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three6ty View Post
Hi,
Cheers, Rich
Rich, this is an issue that has been reported to FMA. It is not necessarily a bug since the final storage voltages do fall in a safe voltage envelope however it makes the storage voltage function a little less than 'useful' since we often end up with battery voltages near or even over the 10XP storage voltage value after a flight. I would prefer for it to be closer to the defacto standard of 3.85V per cell. That would shorten my next charges after a storage charge. As it is now, even with the storage charge, I end up with almost a full charge from the lower storage values.

Everyone I know that has a 10XP is reporting the same low storage voltage values. Everything else works as expected.

Don
DonA is online now Find More Posts by DonA
Old Mar 20, 2012, 05:59 PM
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Feb 2008
1,976 Posts
I don't have a 10XP, but the PL8 and PL6 allow you to select the target voltage of the storage charge and I thing the same applies to the 10XP. It should be under the "Charge" and "Discharge" tabs of the storage preset (Charge/Discharge Voltage)
SteveM732 is offline Find More Posts by SteveM732
Old Mar 20, 2012, 06:57 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM732 View Post
I don't have a 10XP, but the PL8 and PL6 allow you to select the target voltage of the storage charge and I thing the same applies to the 10XP. It should be under the "Charge" and "Discharge" tabs of the storage preset (Charge/Discharge Voltage)
There is no option to set the STORE volts on the 10XP.

Glen
Old Mar 21, 2012, 04:10 AM
Pullin' G's Man
Ossining, NY
Joined Dec 2005
1,005 Posts
Hopefully this can be addressed with a firmware update. But in the meantime the storage voltage is not horribly out of line, at least not on my 2 units.

Bob
cmoulder is offline Find More Posts by cmoulder