HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 01, 2012, 03:25 PM
Registered User
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,159 Posts
Correct. When manually setting the charge rate, the fuel table is only used to display pack's estimated fuel level. It does not affect the charge rate.
Gregor99 is online now Find More Posts by Gregor99
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2012, 03:51 PM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2010
30 Posts
Thanks
Three6ty is offline Find More Posts by Three6ty
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 08:44 AM
Registered User
jhorton's Avatar
United States, TX, Carrollton
Joined Dec 2009
259 Posts
I just upgraded to the 10XP and the new MPA from my 10s. I have read the documentation and see that I have to change output for the MPA board. Am I just missing the documentation on the MPA board or is there not that much out there?

Any help on finding documentation for setting up and using the new MPA with the 10xp would be greatly appreciated.
jhorton is offline Find More Posts by jhorton
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 01:20 PM
AR-15 BRD!
Howard Matos's Avatar
Frederick, MD
Joined May 2002
1,040 Posts
MPA User Guide:

Name: mpa pic.jpg
Views: 72
Size: 107.0 KB
Description:
Name: mpa 2 pic.jpg
Views: 81
Size: 100.6 KB
Description:

http://revolectrix.com/support_docs/item_1400.pdf
Howard Matos is offline Find More Posts by Howard Matos
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 06:32 PM
Registered User
jhorton's Avatar
United States, TX, Carrollton
Joined Dec 2009
259 Posts
That is good information but what about other features like auto charge from 1c - 3c or do you manually select the charge rate? should I take the combined Mah / .001 X charge rate and if that is the case how do you compensate for different capacities?

One of the features I use most on my 10s is the auto charge, will this be an option with the MPA board?
jhorton is offline Find More Posts by jhorton
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 07:24 PM
Registered User
ggcrandall1's Avatar
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,607 Posts
Auto charge is a charger option. The adapter you use will not effect this.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 07:24 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Tim Marks's Avatar
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhorton View Post
That is good information but what about other features like auto charge from 1c - 3c or do you manually select the charge rate? should I take the combined Mah / .001 X charge rate and if that is the case how do you compensate for different capacities?

One of the features I use most on my 10s is the auto charge, will this be an option with the MPA board?
Hi:

The MPA is just a good way to connect multiple batteries to your 10XP in parallel. You can still use AUTO charge rates if that works well for you. The 10XP will calculate the AUTO rate based on the total capacity of the packs connected. For example, if you connect 2 x 3000 mAh batteries in parallel, the total capacity equals 6000 mAh. The 10XP should charge this at 6A if set to AUTO 1C. There's a safety limit on the Max Auto Amps, so you likely won't see a charge rate higher than 6A when using any AUTO charge mode.

AUTO is convenient, but it's not always entirely accurate. There are 3 different LiPo fuel tables available when using the CCS. You can assign these and see which ones match up best with your batteries.

But if you want the absolute fastest charging, set a manual rate. You can calculate it like this:

#P * capacity of individual packs = total capacity
nC charge rate = (n *total capacity) / 1000

Example:

You have 3 packs of 2000 mAh connected in parallel
You want to set a 2C charge rate:

3P * 2000 mAh = 6000 mAh total capacity
2C charge rate = (2 * 6000) / 1000 = 12A

Does this help?

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 09:32 PM
Registered User
jhorton's Avatar
United States, TX, Carrollton
Joined Dec 2009
259 Posts
That is what i needed Tim, thank you for the great information.
jhorton is offline Find More Posts by jhorton
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2012, 12:19 PM
no discrimination, I crash all
ncsky's Avatar
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Nov 2011
294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Marks View Post
Hi:

The MPA is just a good way to connect multiple batteries to your 10XP in parallel. You can still use AUTO charge rates if that works well for you. The 10XP will calculate the AUTO rate based on the total capacity of the packs connected. For example, if you connect 2 x 3000 mAh batteries in parallel, the total capacity equals 6000 mAh. The 10XP should charge this at 6A if set to AUTO 1C. There's a safety limit on the Max Auto Amps, so you likely won't see a charge rate higher than 6A when using any AUTO charge mode.

AUTO is convenient, but it's not always entirely accurate. There are 3 different LiPo fuel tables available when using the CCS. You can assign these and see which ones match up best with your batteries.

But if you want the absolute fastest charging, set a manual rate. You can calculate it like this:

#P * capacity of individual packs = total capacity
nC charge rate = (n *total capacity) / 1000

Example:

You have 3 packs of 2000 mAh connected in parallel
You want to set a 2C charge rate:

3P * 2000 mAh = 6000 mAh total capacity
2C charge rate = (2 * 6000) / 1000 = 12A

Does this help?

Tim Marks
Tim,
I'm looking at the 10xp as my new charger. I have a question about parallel charging relating to your example above. If I have several 4S packs of 2000 Mah. If I use a parallel charge board and connect 5 of these packs to it I know it would be
4P x 2000 Mah=8000 Mah total capacity
2C charge = 2x8000/1000 = 16A

If the charger has a max chare rate of 15 amps how would it handle this type of parallel charge situation? Would I need to only parallel packs that equal to less than 15A (charge 4 packs instead of 5 in this example)? Or would I only be able to charge at 1C (give me total of 8A)?

Thanks, for the information. I'm fairly new to parallel charging.
ncsky is offline Find More Posts by ncsky
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2012, 10:37 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Tim Marks's Avatar
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsky View Post
Tim,
I'm looking at the 10xp as my new charger. I have a question about parallel charging relating to your example above. If I have several 4S packs of 2000 Mah. If I use a parallel charge board and connect 5 of these packs to it I know it would be
4P x 2000 Mah=8000 Mah total capacity
2C charge = 2x8000/1000 = 16A

If the charger has a max chare rate of 15 amps how would it handle this type of parallel charge situation? Would I need to only parallel packs that equal to less than 15A (charge 4 packs instead of 5 in this example)? Or would I only be able to charge at 1C (give me total of 8A)?

Thanks, for the information. I'm fairly new to parallel charging.

Hi:

You would just set the charger for 15A, the max available, and it would provide slightly lower than 2C charge rate to each of the packs. Or maybe I don't understand your question?

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2012, 07:45 AM
no discrimination, I crash all
ncsky's Avatar
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Nov 2011
294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Marks View Post
Hi:

You would just set the charger for 15A, the max available, and it would provide slightly lower than 2C charge rate to each of the packs. Or maybe I don't understand your question?

Tim Marks
Thanks Tim for the information. I just wasn't sure what happens if you try to parallel charge packs that the total Amps exceed the max charge of 15A from the 10xp. This answers it.

Thanks Again.
ncsky is offline Find More Posts by ncsky
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2012, 07:39 PM
Registered User
Manila, Philippines and Burlingame, CA
Joined Jul 2007
241 Posts
Hi Tim - can yiu help me out? I received a 10xp that does not seem to like to charge dual packs. Ive tried charging a single 6s just to ensure ch2 is working fine. But when i try 2 packs of 3s or 4s on preset 2, it always comes up with an error. I tried switching over from fma node connector to xh node and it does the same thing, either saying bad node connector of either kind. Am i missing a step? And yes i use the left side of the adaptor board from each of the boards.
Gopedasia is offline Find More Posts by Gopedasia
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2012, 11:13 PM
Registered User
United States, WI, Fond du Lac
Joined Sep 2011
585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopedasia View Post
Hi Tim - can yiu help me out? I received a 10xp that does not seem to like to charge dual packs. Ive tried charging a single 6s just to ensure ch2 is working fine. But when i try 2 packs of 3s or 4s on preset 2, it always comes up with an error. I tried switching over from fma node connector to xh node and it does the same thing, either saying bad node connector of either kind. Am i missing a step? And yes i use the left side of the adaptor board from each of the boards.
I also having the same issue but only with my 2s 450mah packs on dual. I an charge one with no problem but when I hook 2 up I get channel 1 bad s count fma node wiring. I have my other packs 2200mah 3s on dual and it works just fine. Help please
racerboy65 is online now Find More Posts by racerboy65
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2012, 11:26 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Tim Marks's Avatar
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopedasia View Post
Hi Tim - can yiu help me out? I received a 10xp that does not seem to like to charge dual packs. Ive tried charging a single 6s just to ensure ch2 is working fine. But when i try 2 packs of 3s or 4s on preset 2, it always comes up with an error. I tried switching over from fma node connector to xh node and it does the same thing, either saying bad node connector of either kind. Am i missing a step? And yes i use the left side of the adaptor board from each of the boards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerboy65 View Post
I also having the same issue but only with my 2s 450mah packs on dual. I an charge one with no problem but when I hook 2 up I get channel 1 bad s count fma node wiring. I have my other packs 2200mah 3s on dual and it works just fine. Help please
Hi:

First thing each of you should do is get a hold of an ohm meter. Without anything plugged into the charger, and with the charger power off, measure for continuity across the two center yellow banana jacks. The circuit should have a direct short. If the circuit is open, then at some point a battery has been plugged in across these two yellow banana jacks and the internal fuse is now blown. When this happens, the charger can not series wire two packs together for charging. The fuse will need to be replaced.

If you are using batteries other than Revolectrix "Cellpro" batteries, and you are using the 10s Revolectrix adapters, you must make sure the charger is set for FMA WIRING MODE. Do not put the charger in XH WIRING MODE in this situation because the REVO adapters already do the conversion from your battery's wiring to FMA Cellpro wiring.

If you continue to have problems, please contact Howard Matos at howard@fmadirect.com and he'll be happy to help you more. If you can send him clear photos of your batteries hooked up to the charger when you email him, that would help him a lot.

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2012, 11:34 PM
Registered User
United States, WI, Fond du Lac
Joined Sep 2011
585 Posts
Mine works tho with my other packs on dual charge just not with my smaller packs. I checked internal fuse it was a 40amp and it was still good
racerboy65 is online now Find More Posts by racerboy65
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion FMA Cellpro 10XP Charger alexf1852 Batteries and Chargers 77 Feb 13, 2014 08:20 AM
New Product Introducing the Scirocco--All Molded, All Carbon Pitcheron Ward Hagaman Slope 174 Nov 16, 2012 08:40 AM
Sold Cellpro 4s Lipo & A123 Charger apex Aircraft - Electric - Batteries & Chargers (FS/W) 2 Jul 02, 2011 09:49 PM
Found all around charger wanted / trade for Cellpro 4S +++ jazzster Aircraft - Electric - Batteries & Chargers (FS/W) 4 Mar 21, 2008 05:55 PM
New Product Introducing the all new Brushless Sensorless Motor Controllers for cars and boats jackson_f Product Announcements 3 Jan 12, 2007 03:13 AM