Tucson, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
841 Posts
Tim, thanks...Both of my new 10XP's are doing the same thing (Bade S Count):

My PL8's are charging these batts fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Marks View Post
Hi:

Can you please post some good photos of the packs connected to the charger? Need to see the adapters, all the wiring, how everything is connected up.

Tim Marks
teryn1 is offline Find More Posts by teryn1
Last edited by teryn1; Nov 14, 2011 at 08:25 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2011, 08:46 AM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teryn1 View Post
Tim, thanks...Both of my new 10XP's are doing the same thing (Bade S Count):

My PL8's are charging these batts fine.
Hi:

This appears to be a 6s pack. You have it plugged into the 6s port of the adapter. But you have only one pigtail from this adapter plugged into the charger. The other pigtail comes from another adapter. When you charge 6s packs on this charger using this adapter, both pigtails coming off the adapter have to be plugged into the charger. The pigtail labeled near RJ1 on the adapter goes to the Ch 1 port of the charger as you have it. The other pigtail labeled RJ2 on the adapter goes to the Ch 2 port of the charger. You don't have that one plugged in.

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Old Nov 14, 2011, 07:58 PM
Tucson, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
841 Posts
Tim, Thanks....that worked. Still trying to figure out why that side needs to be plugged in....seems like it isn't using it.

Quote:
Hi:

This appears to be a 6s pack. You have it plugged into the 6s port of the adapter. But you have only one pigtail from this adapter plugged into the charger. The other pigtail comes from another adapter. When you charge 6s packs on this charger using this adapter, both pigtails coming off the adapter have to be plugged into the charger. The pigtail labeled near RJ1 on the adapter goes to the Ch 1 port of the charger as you have it. The other pigtail labeled RJ2 on the adapter goes to the Ch 2 port of the charger. You don't have that one plugged in.

Tim Marks
Old Nov 14, 2011, 08:46 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Tim, Thanks....that worked. Still trying to figure out why that side needs to be plugged in....seems like it isn't using it.
Oh, it's using it. A 6 position cable only supports 5 cells. The 6th cell is wired on the first two wires of pigtail 2. Why else would we include 2 pigtails?

Tim Marks
Old Nov 14, 2011, 08:48 PM
Tucson, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
841 Posts
OK...good point... I didn't add up the wires, and didn't analyze it enough. appreciate your patience with this.

Quote:
Oh, it's using it. A 6 position cable only supports 5 cells. The 6th cell is wired on the first two wires of pigtail 2. Why else would we include 2 pigtails?

Tim Marks
Old Nov 14, 2011, 10:15 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
OK...good point... I didn't add up the wires, and didn't analyze it enough. appreciate your patience with this.
Hi:

Glad I could help! For future reference, you might want to keep the user guide around. Pack connections are diagrammed on p 12, 13, 14. You're 6s configuration is more or less like illustration 3 on p 13.

http://revolectrix.fmadirect.com/sup.../item_1375.pdf

Tim Marks
Old Dec 03, 2011, 06:31 PM
Joined Feb 2005
32 Posts
My fan did not work, Please advise.
Unit pretty hot already after charge 10S for 30mins 1C auto.
integy2 is offline Find More Posts by integy2
Old Dec 03, 2011, 10:03 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,363 Posts
Does the fan come on when you first power up the charger?
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Dec 04, 2011, 12:36 AM
Joined Feb 2005
32 Posts
No it doesn't.
Old Dec 04, 2011, 08:53 AM
United States, CA, Placerville
Joined Feb 2006
592 Posts
Integy2

Do the fan blades move freely if you blow on the fan hard? If not, then the fan wires may be interfering with the fan and stopping it from working. If so, simply remove the 4 screws holding the front face on the 10XP (noting where the grounding strap goes under one of the screws) and move the fan wires out of the way of the fan blades. Hopefully your problem is as simple as this. One of my 10S chargers had this problem and I have seen it mentioned on the forum also.

If that is not the problem, I would not recommend using the charger until the fan is replaced. Replacement is very simple/straighforward. In a pinch, any electronics store such as Frys, should have a similar fan. They are not expensive at all. In fact, some of your surplus electronic 'junk' may have a direct replacement, just match size, volts and away you go.... I had a similar problem and my replacement fan from FMA arrived in a couple days. Great service.

Don
DonA is offline Find More Posts by DonA
Old Dec 05, 2011, 03:05 PM
AR-15 BRD!
Frederick, MD
Joined May 2002
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by integy2 View Post
My fan did not work, Please advise.
Unit pretty hot already after charge 10S for 30mins 1C auto.
Hi,

Please send me an email with your name and address and I will get you a replacment fan sent out, thanks.

howard@fmadirect.com
Howard Matos is offline Find More Posts by Howard Matos
Old Dec 05, 2011, 03:12 PM
Joined Feb 2005
32 Posts
Thanks Howard, just e-mail you the info.

Great support.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 08:16 PM
Joined Nov 2009
185 Posts
Stupid users…

I just worked through a “stupid user” experience with a brand new 10XP.

I had purchased it as part of a package I am putting together for a friend. I had been using a 10S for quite a while and felt that the simplicity of the auto C presets would be perfect. The 10S was out of stock so I opted for the 10XP which has even more preset slots.

I use an old Radio Shack 25amp power supply to drive my 10S. Works great but, sadly, they are no longer in production. I purchased a PowerWerx SS-30DV power supply that has specs almost identical to my Radio Shack unit at about half the total size.

The 10XP shipped with the wrong balancing leads but Cindy did a great job getting the right ones out to me. Received them last night and decided to test the new stuff out today. I configured the presets and charged up a pair of 4 cell 4500mah packs using my new 2 Pack - 1C preset. It took almost three hours to charge the packs which had started at about 30%.

I thought I had messed something up in the preset but they seemed OK so I switched to the “Optimize for Fast Charging” mode and tried another pair of packs. Same story. Watching with the computer I noticed that the current to packs was at or below 1 amp for the whole charge.

I decided to see what my old 10S did and it was acting wacky too but I saw that it was warning loudly about low power supply voltage. Sure enough if I drew more than about 5 amps off the SS-30DV power supply the volts would drop below 11 and even at 2 amps it was barely holding 12 volts. Hooked up my old Radio Shack supply and it held 13.8 volts just fine. Well, there’s your problem!

As I am sadly contemplating this brand new power supply wondering if I had grossly misinterpreted it’s specs I noticed that the little teeny, tiny voltage switch on the back was configured for 230 volts input. Changing from 230 to 115 fixed everything.

Stupid users…
Sky Writer is offline Find More Posts by Sky Writer
Old Dec 17, 2011, 11:54 AM
Cape Coral, FL
Joined Nov 2001
1,898 Posts
For charging 2 batteries at once....

Is there any practical difference between charging 2 batteries at once using a single channel charge mode versus a dual channel mode? One obvious thing is in Dual Channel, you get to see all the specs for both batteries. Otherwise, is there any difference in the actual charge performance or anything else? What's the point of ever charging 2 packs in series on a single channel when you can charge 2 packs independently on dual channel?

I want to use a manually set charge rate of 4.0C. Either way, the batteries are hooked to the charger identically, correct? Battery 1 goes to channel 1 balance port and channel 1 pigtails, and Bat 2 goes to Ch 2 bal port and Ch2 2 pigtails. Then it's a matter of choosing a single channel or dual channel charge Preset, then manually select the appropriate charge amps (let's say the 2200 packs, would be 4.0 x 2200 mAh = 8800, use 8.8 Amp rate).

I have multiples of the following and would always be charging 2 identical packs (with similar discharge state):
2s 350's and 2s 450's
3s 1300's, 3s 1550's, 3s 1800's, 3s 2200's
4s 2500's

One more question. Out of the 10 available charging Presets, the factory defaults have position 2 and 6 set as Dual Channels. The other 8 positions are Single Channel. The best I can tell, in order to change that setting (dual vs single) for a Preset, you need to buy the USB connector and run the CCS software. Is this correct?

Thanks,
Derek
DerekB is offline Find More Posts by DerekB
Old Dec 17, 2011, 12:26 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekB View Post
Is there any practical difference between charging 2 batteries at once using a single channel charge mode versus a dual channel mode? One obvious thing is in Dual Channel, you get to see all the specs for both batteries. Otherwise, is there any difference in the actual charge performance or anything else? What's the point of ever charging 2 packs in series on a single channel when you can charge 2 packs independently on dual channel?

I want to use a manually set charge rate of 4.0C. Either way, the batteries are hooked to the charger identically, correct? Battery 1 goes to channel 1 balance port and channel 1 pigtails, and Bat 2 goes to Ch 2 bal port and Ch2 2 pigtails. Then it's a matter of choosing a single channel or dual channel charge Preset, then manually select the appropriate charge amps (let's say the 2200 packs, would be 4.0 x 2200 mAh = 8800, use 8.8 Amp rate).

I have multiples of the following and would always be charging 2 identical packs (with similar discharge state):
2s 350's and 2s 450's
3s 1300's, 3s 1550's, 3s 1800's, 3s 2200's
4s 2500's

One more question. Out of the 10 available charging Presets, the factory defaults have position 2 and 6 set as Dual Channels. The other 8 positions are Single Channel. The best I can tell, in order to change that setting (dual vs single) for a Preset, you need to buy the USB connector and run the CCS software. Is this correct?

Thanks,
Derek

Hi:

Only difference between Single and Dual pack is how the balancers operate, and how the charge data is displayed. In Single pack, all the cells in both packs are balanced to all the other cells, and mAh in is calculated for the whole pack. In Dual Channel mode, all the cells of Ch 1 are balanced to each other, and all the cells of Ch 2 are balanced to each other. The mAh are calculated independently. In either case, you connect the packs to the 10XP the same way, and you set the charge current the same way.

Yes, you are correct. To change preset's characteristics of Dual vs Single pack, you require the CCS. Same is true for selecting between different Fuel Tables.

Tim Marks