HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2013, 08:02 AM
airplanes r made from aluminum
United States, SC, Darlington
Joined Jul 2009
652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad skill View Post
great flying and very nice scenery. Love the dog helping out...
wilem is offline Find More Posts by wilem
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2013, 08:25 AM
above us only sky
United States, SC, Greenville
Joined Jan 2006
804 Posts
(RE: Bob Parker video)

Hmmm. Nice snow flying. And yet another parkzone Icon with the cover missing in front of the motor.

I've lost two out of three - so far. The one that came off in flight damaged my prop.

That cover might be a good candidate for preemptive removal and proper re-gluing.
Renfield is offline Find More Posts by Renfield
Last edited by Renfield; Jan 02, 2013 at 08:27 AM. Reason: specify video referenced.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 08:33 AM
Madison, WI
Joined Feb 2004
842 Posts
So New Year's eve I'm flying my Icon off a frozen lake, temperature is 18, I'm 25-30' off the lake, wind is 12-15 mph, coming in for a landing and snap, the plane goes straight down. Turns out the pylon experienced total structural failure!! Check it out at home, all electronics still working, wings OK. Any Icon addicts out there experience this same catastrophe? I question if this has anything to do with cold temps and foam becoming brittle? I purchased the plane last summer and logged 150-180 water flights, each flight lasting 7-8 minutes. Wonder if the pylon had internal stress fractures since nothing was visible to the naked eye? Debating whether of not to buy another fuselage and rebuild or call it quits on the Icon. Your thoughts are welcome!
Fast Freddy is online now Find More Posts by Fast Freddy
Last edited by Fast Freddy; Jan 02, 2013 at 05:58 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:24 AM
Marion, Indiana, United States
Joined Apr 2003
80 Posts
For Reinfield
My cover came off the other day had a slight mishap with tree branches forgot they were there. At least I found it and can glue it back on.
bob parker is online now Find More Posts by bob parker
Old Jan 02, 2013, 07:58 PM
Marion, Indiana, United States
Joined Apr 2003
80 Posts
Having that many flights on the plane I`d say you really liked the plane. Go for another one and have that much more fun.
bob parker is online now Find More Posts by bob parker
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:01 PM
United States, TN
Joined Mar 2011
1,404 Posts
itsme2 is online now Find More Posts by itsme2
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:02 PM
Joined Jul 2009
652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Freddy View Post
So New Year's eve I'm flying my Icon off a frozen lake, temperature is 18, I'm 25-30' off the lake, wind is 12-15 mph, coming in for a landing and snap, the plane goes straight down. Turns out the pylon experienced total structural failure!! Check it out at home, all electronics still working, wings OK. Any Icon addicts out there experience this same catastrophe? I question if this has anything to do with cold temps and foam becoming brittle? I purchased the plane last summer and logged 150-180 water flights, each flight lasting 7-8 minutes. Wonder if the pylon had internal stress fractures since nothing was visible to the naked eye? Debating whether of not to buy another fuselage and rebuild or call it quits on the Icon. Your thoughts are welcome!
nothing to loose, hot glue it back or replace the fuse, maybe install some jury struts...
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:20 PM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
1,972 Posts
Hot glue will be tough to get right over such a large area. Epoxy, good ole fashioned white wood glue, or something like UHU Por is what I would go with. You'll have a better chance at making it look almost new if you have the time, patience, and ability to clamp/stabilize the joint for white glue.

Used epoxy and white glue in different places on my Cessna trainer wing and it never broke in the same place twice.
Firehawk989 is online now Find More Posts by Firehawk989
Old Jan 03, 2013, 06:52 AM
Joined Jul 2009
652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehawk989 View Post
Hot glue will be tough to get right over such a large area. Epoxy, good ole fashioned white wood glue, or something like UHU Por is what I would go with. You'll have a better chance at making it look almost new if you have the time, patience, and ability to clamp/stabilize the joint for white glue.

Used epoxy and white glue in different places on my Cessna trainer wing and it never broke in the same place twice.

yes, if you want it to look new hot glue is not the way to go..But i have glued the front half on airplanes a few times. two people with glue guns, one does the left side and the other the right..stick em together. i have also seen foam safe ca glue a parkzone corsair back together that was broke in half. when you doin combat ya gotta do what ya gotta do. His will be under the plane so the mess wil be minimal. Mine is on a P-51 mustang with a power 10 and an 11x7 prop. it is very fast you cant see the glue at 80 MPH..LOL
Old Jan 03, 2013, 07:28 AM
above us only sky
United States, SC, Greenville
Joined Jan 2006
804 Posts
Quote:
I've broken that part of the fuse - multiple times(!). Always from sudden impact with an immovable object. My neighbors dock lamppost comes to mind.

It is fixable. I've used CA and epoxy with good results. Don't give up!!

But I can't answer the temp question.
Renfield is offline Find More Posts by Renfield
Old Jan 03, 2013, 12:39 PM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
1,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilem View Post
yes, if you want it to look new hot glue is not the way to go..But i have glued the front half on airplanes a few times. two people with glue guns, one does the left side and the other the right..stick em together. i have also seen foam safe ca glue a parkzone corsair back together that was broke in half. when you doin combat ya gotta do what ya gotta do. His will be under the plane so the mess wil be minimal. Mine is on a P-51 mustang with a power 10 and an 11x7 prop. it is very fast you cant see the glue at 80 MPH..LOL
Yea, hot glue would definitely be doable on that one with someone around to help.
Firehawk989 is online now Find More Posts by Firehawk989
Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:10 PM
Madison, WI
Joined Feb 2004
842 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. Think I'll give it a go with some thinned epoxy.
Fast Freddy is online now Find More Posts by Fast Freddy
Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:48 PM
United States, TX, Colleyville
Joined Jul 2012
48 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the input guys. Think I'll give it a go with some thinned epoxy.
I fixed mine with Gorilla Glue. It's strong, white and gives you 5-10 minutes to manipulate pieces. It expands too, which is nice to fill on and defects.
Oetboy is offline Find More Posts by Oetboy
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:12 PM
The Sky's the Limit
Lexington Ky.
Joined Mar 2005
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilem View Post
great flying and very nice scenery. Love the dog helping out...
Thanks! He tries to fetch the plane most of the time, haha
mad skill is offline Find More Posts by mad skill
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:49 PM
Ron - AMA 1025
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Aug 2005
280 Posts
Icon

Was out flying a new PZ Icon today on Lk Keystone in Tampa area, 75 degrees with 5 MPH wind. We also have a Elec Seawind we fly, and a bunch of glow - Seamaster (still the best), CG J-3, Sig Sealane, BUSA Laker, Northstar and a few others. The Icon flew great, a lot more power than the Seawind, need to increase the roll rate, great deal for $200. Will get more pics up later.
ronwc is online now Find More Posts by ronwc
Last edited by ronwc; Jan 03, 2013 at 03:55 PM.