Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:30 PM
Registered User
Canada, AB, Sherwood Park
Joined Jan 2011
638 Posts
Anyone flown theirs off of snow yet? I have more flights on her now in the snow than I did all summer on water. It taxis so nicely at a medium speed, its such a treat! At low speeds you have to work on getting the speed up a bit and using your ailerons to lift the wing up to level but once you get that set its such a beautiful plane to have fun with. Its also super nice that it can handle a footprint and handle really soft powerdy snow, just scoots over it no problem..... unlike my TaylorCraft that I have on skiis that noses over on almost any flaw in the snow. I have a few videos ill try to get uploaded. The thing I love most is on takeoff, I slowly ease it up to full power and it just taxis like an arrow, straight and true, then I gently pull back and it climbs so nicely, in a scale like manner and the sound from the prop goes from being a mild hum while on the snow to a crazy loud buzz as it lifts off.....sooooo cool!!!!! Not sure if its the winter air or the snow or what but its so neat.

The ironic part of my whole experience is I had mine for sale, I had a buyer setup, I decided to take it out one more time on the snow just for a last flight so to speak....that was about 8 flights ago. I totally renewed my interest in this plane!!!!!!!!!
KTL13 is offline Find More Posts by KTL13
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:34 PM
Let me Fly please :^)
Paul-RC's Avatar
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTL13 View Post
Anyone flown theirs off of snow yet? I have more flights on her now in the snow than I did all summer on water. It taxis so nicely at a medium speed, its such a treat! At low speeds you have to work on getting the speed up a bit and using your ailerons to lift the wing up to level but once you get that set its such a beautiful plane to have fun with. Its also super nice that it can handle a footprint and handle really soft powerdy snow, just scoots over it no problem..... unlike my TaylorCraft that I have on skiis that noses over on almost any flaw in the snow. I have a few videos ill try to get uploaded. The thing I love most is on takeoff, I slowly ease it up to full power and it just taxis like an arrow, straight and true, then I gently pull back and it climbs so nicely, in a scale like manner and the sound from the prop goes from being a mild hum while on the snow to a crazy loud buzz as it lifts off.....sooooo cool!!!!! Not sure if its the winter air or the snow or what but its so neat.

The ironic part of my whole experience is I had mine for sale, I had a buyer setup, I decided to take it out one more time on the snow just for a last flight so to speak....that was about 8 flights ago. I totally renewed my interest in this plane!!!!!!!!!
No snow here yet but I'm planning on flying it off snow thats for shure
Paul-RC is online now Find More Posts by Paul-RC
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:24 PM
Registered User
Canada, AB, Sherwood Park
Joined Jan 2011
638 Posts
Not the best video, but my son was trying his hardest to video a white plane in a white sky with the most overcast I have ever seen, visibility was extremely poor!!! I also think my 1/2 Cuban 8s threw him off! I fly the Icon pretty much full throttle and pretty close at times so the camera man has his work cut out for him. He did manage to capture the 2 take offs and 1 landing really well.

Parkzone Icon A5 Winter Flying (3 min 2 sec)
KTL13 is offline Find More Posts by KTL13
Last edited by KTL13; Nov 21, 2012 at 03:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:49 AM
Registered User
Canada, AB, Sherwood Park
Joined Jan 2011
638 Posts
I think this video must be viewed in 720p or higher, at 360p it blacks out for me right after the 1st take off. Very strange!
KTL13 is offline Find More Posts by KTL13
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 02, 2012, 04:30 PM
Registered User
United States, TN
Joined Mar 2011
1,404 Posts
My A5 needs about 5 degrees of up elevator trim to fly level at 1/2-3/4 throttle, it flys ok like this but I do get a tip stall if I fly too slow on landing. Is my elevator trim abnormal, should I move my battery (COG) rearward to level the elevator trim?

I eliminated most of the tail wag by adding lateral pieces of fiber packing tape to the skinny part of the fuselage. I really like this plane.

Thank you!
itsme2 is offline Find More Posts by itsme2
Last edited by itsme2; Jan 19, 2013 at 09:25 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 02, 2012, 04:36 PM
Let me Fly please :^)
Paul-RC's Avatar
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme2 View Post
My A5 needs about 5 degrees of up elevator trim to fly level at 1/2-3/4 throttle, it flys ok like this but I do get a tip stall if I fly too slow on landing. Is my elevator trim abnormal, should I move my battery (COG) forward to level the elevator trim?

I really like this plane.

Thank you!
Actually if you need UP trim your nose heavy, so slide back the battery a bit .
Dont slow it down too much on landings , it actually need some power on landing if you have no flaps on yours.
Just do it a bit at a time.
Paul-RC is online now Find More Posts by Paul-RC
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 02, 2012, 05:51 PM
Team OFG (Old Fat Guys)
BigD1961's Avatar
United States, KY, Leitchfield
Joined Jul 2008
440 Posts
Snow....What's that?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-RC View Post
No snow here yet but I'm planning on flying it off snow thats for shure
We didn't get an inch here in Kentucky last year. And of course after hunting for YEARS to find one, I had bought a Kyosho Blizzard R.C. snow plow.....
This year I am hoping we at least get a few good snows to try my un-maidened A5 on and try out my Blizzard.
BigD1961 is offline Find More Posts by BigD1961
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More SEFF pics.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 02, 2012, 05:56 PM
Let me Fly please :^)
Paul-RC's Avatar
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD1961 View Post
We didn't get an inch here in Kentucky last year. And of course after hunting for YEARS to find one, I had bought a Kyosho Blizzard R.C. snow plow.....
This year I am hoping we at least get a few good snows to try my un-maidened A5 on and try out my Blizzard.
I was looking for one of those Kyosho Blizzard too and could not find any , so I found a nice looking one but it a toy and I wanted to modify it but not enough space to work in
No snow here yet in fact its rainning at the momment
Paul-RC is online now Find More Posts by Paul-RC
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:47 PM
Registered User
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Mar 2012
454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulDaniel View Post
Here it is boys, the video of my flight. I was not able to do a lot of stuff since as you will see I have lots of plane eaters (trees) and also had to watch for traffic. I don't normally fly here but the wheels are too small for the grass, at least in my backyard.

Here's what I did with the throws. I found the high rates not high enough. On the ailerons to soft so took them up to 100% on my Futaba 9C w/Spektrum module and dialed in -35% expo, the elevator also took up to 100%, same expo and rudder to 75% and same expo. Hey this is just me but I like a responsive plane. Keep in mind on take off, since this is a pusher, it will take a bit more time to get into the air. I kept a bit of back pressure on the elevator and it rotated pretty nice. It's going to take a bit longer though on grass while the water should be about the same. In turns, I had to put in a bit of rudder but that's how the full size fly so it's no big deal. As you will hear, because it's a pusher, it has a different sound.

I can't wait to get this out to a more open area where I can really wring it out!


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKMry5F48ow
Does the dm8 module work fine on the 10c? I was gonna get one but horizon told me it won't work. And what way does the propeller go on this plane? The manual don't really say.

Thanks.
carlocivicsi is offline Find More Posts by carlocivicsi
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:56 PM
Registered User
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Mar 2012
454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-RC View Post
I flew mine this morning on the water and I can say its far from underpower.
I even took off from dry grass yesterday on the belly.
Check your prop direction too, it makes a big difference.
Unless you have a defective motor, it could happen.
I fly mine in a 3s1p 2200 30c Lipo and it goes vertical.

I will have a video later from the water and the water was rough with little waves and a moderate breeze.
Take-off against the wind but all landings were crosswind with no problems.
Its for me the best float plane I flew in a long time and I had lots of them.
I really enjoy it.

I forgot to mention I did remove the cockpit floor and thats heavy , but I also fly with the contour camera on board with ease.

just got mine and i dont know what way the prop goes. the only markings on the pro is the size 9x8. does that go facing the front of the plane or facing the back?

sorry for the dumb question. just dont wanna crash.

thanks for the help.
carlocivicsi is offline Find More Posts by carlocivicsi
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:02 PM
I am UNIQUE!
Fig Jam's Avatar
Kentucky
Joined Feb 2008
1,344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlocivicsi View Post
just got mine and i dont know what way the prop goes. the only markings on the pro is the size 9x8. does that go facing the front of the plane or facing the back?

sorry for the dumb question. just dont wanna crash.

thanks for the help.
The numbers face to the front.

Mike
Fig Jam is offline Find More Posts by Fig Jam
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:32 PM
Registered User
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Mar 2012
454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fig Jam View Post
The numbers face to the front.

Mike
Thanks.
carlocivicsi is offline Find More Posts by carlocivicsi
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 04, 2012, 10:53 AM
above us only sky
Renfield's Avatar
United States, SC, Greenville
Joined Jan 2006
808 Posts
ESC is history?

Take care of your ESC! It is end of life. Horizon now shows the original ESC1030C as well as their suggested replacement, the uncoated ESC1030 as discontinued.

I'll be over at HK shopping for a replacement.
Renfield is offline Find More Posts by Renfield
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 05, 2012, 04:59 PM
Mattfly's Avatar
Champaign. Illinois
Joined Jun 2003
751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renfield View Post
Take care of your ESC! It is end of life. Horizon now shows the original ESC1030C as well as their suggested replacement, the uncoated ESC1030 as discontinued.

I'll be over at HK shopping for a replacement.


Hey all,

Just want to let you know the coated ESC is discontinued, but we are making a new version that has an upgraded BEC. It is just not here yet and the original ESC for the ICON just had the discontinued flag flipped a little to quick.

Do not worry about the ESC being discontinued, but will be a small wait until the new ones come in....

Here is the link to the new 30 AMP ESC.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/webapp/w...pe=productgrid


Hope that helps and sorry for the confusion.

Matt Andren
Parkzone/Hobbyzone Product Development
Horizon Hobby
Mattfly is offline Find More Posts by Mattfly
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2012, 04:14 PM
Registered User
Canada, AB, Sherwood Park
Joined Jan 2011
638 Posts
A little more winter/snow flying

Parkzone Icon A5 Winter Flying #2 (3 min 44 sec)
KTL13 is offline Find More Posts by KTL13
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log Icon A5 1800mm Wheazel Waterplanes 19 Jul 12, 2014 07:16 PM
Sold LPU: Parkzone Extra 300 - BNF (140) or PNP (100) samolot Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 3 May 31, 2011 12:40 PM
Wanted Parkzone T-28D or F4U Corsair, or similar PNP or BNF TL697 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 3 Sep 13, 2010 11:17 PM
Found Parkzone F4U Corsair or T-28 BNF or PNP *Cheapish?* major.monogram Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Jul 30, 2010 04:50 PM
Wanted Multiplex EasyGlider Pro/Cularis PNP/BNF or Parkzone Radian Sid3ways Aircraft - Sailplanes (FS/W) 6 Jul 21, 2009 08:36 PM