Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:44 PM
United States, TX, Colleyville
Joined Jul 2012
48 Posts
Flew my icon for the first time today at a lake at 8500 ft ASL. Took off fine. Buzzed around a bit and brought her in for an ok landing (a bit of a belly flop and splash... But no harm done). Took off again, gained some altitude and decided to go for a loop on full throttle... Had enough to get up and around, but at the bottom of the loop she went into a spin and I crashed nose first into the lake. Rented a paddle boat to retrieve. Broke a few things:

1. Wings and motor stayed together but foam supporting motor broke off from fuselage. easily repaired with gorilla glue.

2. I lost two plastic pieces which I believe sunk. The plastic covering just behind the cockpit and before the motor (i can see aileron wiring now!). Also, one of the decorative small windows popped off. Hopefully I can still fly without these pieces?

3. I pre-treated all electronics with Corrosion X. I bathed Rx. Sprayed ESC and elevator servo (opened case and saturated). The other servos and motor I just sprayed them in their cases and hoped for seepage and successfull treatment. Everything still works post crash except one aileron servo. It made a funny "electrical" noise which sounded almost pulsatile. It responded to Tx commands a bit but did not travel as far as the other aileron. The wing itself appears undamaged from crash so I assume water is killing this servo. I let it dry out more and tried it again. Still the same funny noise but after some sluggish movements, the servo stopped in neutral position and won't respond at all to my inputs. Is the servo now a complete list? Anybody experience something similar? Suggestions?

4. Also small amout of water in cockpit. Now all fogged up. How do you fix this? Cut off windshield, dry, and reglue
Oetboy is offline Find More Posts by Oetboy
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:59 PM
Let me Fly please :^)
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oetboy View Post
Flew my icon for the first time today at a lake at 8500 ft ASL. Took off fine. Buzzed around a bit and brought her in for an ok landing (a bit of a belly flop and splash... But no harm done). Took off again, gained some altitude and decided to go for a loop on full throttle... Had enough to get up and around, but at the bottom of the loop she went into a spin and I crashed nose first into the lake. Rented a paddle boat to retrieve. Broke a few things:

1. Wings and motor stayed together but foam supporting motor broke off from fuselage. easily repaired with gorilla glue.

2. I lost two plastic pieces which I believe sunk. The plastic covering just behind the cockpit and before the motor (i can see aileron wiring now!). Also, one of the decorative small windows popped off. Hopefully I can still fly without these pieces?

3. I pre-treated all electronics with Corrosion X. I bathed Rx. Sprayed ESC and elevator servo (opened case and saturated). The other servos and motor I just sprayed them in their cases and hoped for seepage and successfull treatment. Everything still works post crash except one aileron servo. It made a funny "electrical" noise which sounded almost pulsatile. It responded to Tx commands a bit but did not travel as far as the other aileron. The wing itself appears undamaged from crash so I assume water is killing this servo. I let it dry out more and tried it again. Still the same funny noise but after some sluggish movements, the servo stopped in neutral position and won't respond at all to my inputs. Is the servo now a complete list? Anybody experience something similar? Suggestions?

4. Also small amout of water in cockpit. Now all fogged up. How do you fix this? Cut off windshield, dry, and reglue
Sorry about your crash.
Sounds to me that you may have pulled out of the loop a bit too hard and it stalled. T-Tails have bad stalls.
Even if the Icon does kind of well in aerobatics you have to be really smooth while doing them or coming out of any stunt.
As for landings , well it likes to come in with some power , not really speed but power to the motor like high iddle.

For the servos thats water for shure.
On mine I did cover more the servo arm area and stuff petrolium gely vaseline in there to repel water and it works really well.
For the cockpit fogging I would open up a small openning in the floor but do seal around the edges of the windshield on the outside.
Paul-RC is offline Find More Posts by Paul-RC
Old Sep 30, 2012, 01:35 PM
United States, FL, Coral Springs
Joined Jan 2007
495 Posts
Quote:

You will need a new servo for sure, I had mine flip over and servo acted funny until final it just froze up. I tried drying it out with a hairdryer with no luck. I purchased a new servo and replaced. Caerfully pull back tape and then use rudder cement to replace tape back on. On mine ou can not even tell I replaced my servo.
falconjet50 is offline Find More Posts by falconjet50
Old Sep 30, 2012, 01:40 PM
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,370 Posts
I also did replace my rudder servo but not do to water , just a stronger one , a HS82MG and it sideways on an elevated foam block with silicone and vaseline too .
It will never get in contact with water unless the plane fills up with water
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:13 PM
Joined Jul 2012
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-RC View Post
I also did replace my rudder servo but not do to water , just a stronger one , a HS82MG and it sideways on an elevated foam block with silicone and vaseline too .
It will never get in contact with water unless the plane fills up with water
I am on vacation in the mountains so getting a new servo for my left aileron won't happen until I get back home. I'm upset that I damaged my plane do quickly. Do you all think I can fly the icon like a 3 channel trainer?! Just disconnect ailerons altogether and switch rudder to aileron so it's controlled on right stick? At least I could do touch and goes, right? Or is this not as easy to control as say a Super Cub 3 channel and I'm only wishful thinking?!
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:33 PM
When pigs fly rc
USA, NY, Chester
Joined Apr 2008
2,428 Posts
The wing is to flat to be controlled by rudder only. I would wait.
rcrich is online now Find More Posts by rcrich
Old Oct 01, 2012, 02:13 PM
Joined Jul 2012
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconjet50 View Post
You will need a new servo for sure, I had mine flip over and servo acted funny until final it just froze up. I tried drying it out with a hairdryer with no luck. I purchased a new servo and replaced. Caerfully pull back tape and then use rudder cement to replace tape back on. On mine ou can not even tell I replaced my servo.
Which servo did you replace it with?
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:19 PM
United States, FL, Coral Springs
Joined Jan 2007
495 Posts
Quote:
Which servo did you replace it with?
I replaced with the stock servo from Eflite. Servo work great, any servo that gets wet will most likely fail. I sent back the orginial to Horizon and they sent me a replacement FREE of charge. Now that's custom service. I have had over 60 flights with this ICON with the new servo and no issues
falconjet50 is offline Find More Posts by falconjet50
Old Oct 02, 2012, 12:01 PM
Joined Jul 2012
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconjet50 View Post
I replaced with the stock servo from Eflite. Servo work great, any servo that gets wet will most likely fail. I sent back the orginial to Horizon and they sent me a replacement FREE of charge. Now that's custom service. I have had over 60 flights with this ICON with the new servo and no issues
It's been 3-4 days since submerging my icon. The failing aileron has starte working again! I thought it might be a fluke and I didn't want to trust it after it behaved so erratically. But I've tried powering it up multiple times now and it seems pretty normal! The only difference I see between the damaged aileron servo compared to the other aileron servo is that when I "relax" the input (go from deflection to neutral), the damaged servo has a small amount of "flutter" before fully going neutral and remaining completely still. This is VERY minute movement and lasts only a split second.

Do you think it finally dried out and I can fly again? Or too risky?!
Old Oct 02, 2012, 12:50 PM
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,370 Posts
Quote:
It's been 3-4 days since submerging my icon. The failing aileron has starte working again! I thought it might be a fluke and I didn't want to trust it after it behaved so erratically. But I've tried powering it up multiple times now and it seems pretty normal! The only difference I see between the damaged aileron servo compared to the other aileron servo is that when I "relax" the input (go from deflection to neutral), the damaged servo has a small amount of "flutter" before fully going neutral and remaining completely still. This is VERY minute movement and lasts only a split second.

Do you think it finally dried out and I can fly again? Or too risky?!
I personally would not risk it because if it jams on you in filght in one direction your done.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 02:09 PM
United States, TN
Joined Mar 2011
1,404 Posts
I'm just now getting into transmitter (DX6i) control mixing. How does the A5 react to a programmed aileron/rudder mix? What % of rudder mix with aileron is recommended with the A5?

Thank you!
itsme2 is online now Find More Posts by itsme2
Old Oct 02, 2012, 02:12 PM
above us only sky
United States, SC, Greenville
Joined Jan 2006
808 Posts
Quote:

Remove and disassemble the servo. Clean, lube and reassemble. Hang the cockpit from whatever angle it drains. If you're missing just the rear windows, forget about it. But make sure the radio room is sound. A new fuse might be in order. Rinse, repeat and FLY!!!

The Icon comes with coated Rx and ESC. The aileron servos often take a dunk, but they are tough. The only one I've replaced all summer was from hitting my neighbor's lamp post (on his dock) at full speed. It ripped the connection off the servo. I had to glue the wing in several directions. I'm pretty sure the servo still works. The wing still does!! This is one tough bird.
Renfield is offline Find More Posts by Renfield
Old Oct 02, 2012, 02:43 PM
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme2 View Post
I'm just now getting into transmitter (DX6i) control mixing. How does the A5 react to a programmed aileron/rudder mix? What % of rudder mix with aileron is recommended with the A5?

Thank you!
I have very little % on mine just to say it moves a bit along with the ailerons, if I need more I just feed in more manually.
I can also switch it off with the mix switch ( DX7)
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:09 PM
Joined Jul 2012
48 Posts
Quote:
I personally would not risk it because if it jams on you in filght in one direction your done.
I kept on testing the "water damaged" aileron and it just kept on working... I took the risk and put her in the water and air this evening!!! Awesome landings in glass water, in the mountains with autumn leaves changing colors... And so peaceful... Until I hit full throttle!!!
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:15 PM
Joined Jul 2012
48 Posts
Quote:
I have very little % on mine just to say it moves a bit along with the ailerons, if I need more I just feed in more manually.
I can also switch it off with the mix switch ( DX7)
I have aileron/rudder mix at 20%. Not sure it's the best percentage mix, but I have only flown 2 batteries. First battery didn't go so well certainly 20% is flyable...