HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 03, 2012, 12:02 PM
Puffed Up Lipo
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Apr 2008
50 Posts
I just unscrewed the horizontal stab, took it off and its clean. It's mounted flush to the rudder.
kimeza is offline Find More Posts by kimeza
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2012, 12:18 PM
Puffed Up Lipo
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Apr 2008
50 Posts
Stock Motor Mount vs. HK Motor Mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by _OZ_ View Post
Here are pics of what I describe earlier to adjust the CG back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFloth View Post
Here's what I've been working on.. My PZ Icon A5 FPV!

I bought a second canopy, gutted it and laid a thin ply floor for the camera then mounted the vid.tx and vid battery to the back of the canopy. FPV canopy came out 1.7oz heaver then stock with most of that at the back of the canopy. CG was hardly effected.

Also replaced the motor and ESC. Motor was almost a direct replacement and really brought the Icon to life. She cruses easily at just under 1/2 throttle. With flight time on a 2650 3s at 15min.

Motor: Turnigy D3536 1450kv : http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18226
ESC: CC Phoenix 60.

Flaps are my next adventure. (Thanks Paul!)

Love'n the PZ Icon A5!!
D-Man
D-Man,

I have a spare 3536 laying around and wanted to upgrade my motor. So I took off the motor exposing the mount and discovered the motor mount pattern is different than the HK motor. 2 holes match but 2 don't. How did you mount the 3536 to the stock motor mount?

Thanks.
kimeza is offline Find More Posts by kimeza
Old Jun 03, 2012, 12:21 PM
It's gone...
Germany, NRW, Heinsberg
Joined Aug 2004
5,102 Posts
Hmm. I don't remember mine having that much up trim.
_OZ_ is offline Find More Posts by _OZ_
Old Jun 03, 2012, 06:39 PM
Joined Jul 2011
54 Posts
I would probably try the 'X' mount that came with your motor rather than the parkzone mount. I have had other planes under water with the electronics on, so I just used an aircompressor to blow out as much water as I could. Once that was done I left the electronics out for several days to air out...no problems as of yet.
ColoradoFalcon is offline Find More Posts by ColoradoFalcon
Old Jun 03, 2012, 08:57 PM
Joined Aug 2010
84 Posts
Reguarding waterproof rudder servo. Look at post 880 for dropin replacement.
bigrap is offline Find More Posts by bigrap
Old Jun 04, 2012, 08:42 AM
Joined Oct 2010
31 Posts
bigrap,

I looked at your post in #880 it says Traxxas but what model are you using....are you happy with it so far?

Thanks.
Ginsbene is offline Find More Posts by Ginsbene
Old Jun 04, 2012, 08:48 AM
Go Fly Yourself...!!
United States, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Oct 2004
1,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimeza View Post
D-Man,

I have a spare 3536 laying around and wanted to upgrade my motor. So I took off the motor exposing the mount and discovered the motor mount pattern is different than the HK motor. 2 holes match but 2 don't. How did you mount the 3536 to the stock motor mount?

Thanks.
Kimeza,

Yes I had to drill two new holes in the motor mount for the inner motor screws.
Truth is.. if one was to use blue Loctite one could get away with using only two mounting screws. But I'd rather be safe then sorry.

D-Man
xxD-Manxx is offline Find More Posts by xxD-Manxx
Old Jun 04, 2012, 08:22 PM
United States, NC, Morrisville
Joined Oct 2011
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginsbene View Post
Just did some nice evening flying for the first time with flaperons over water. Nice quick easy mod and it works. Thanks to all on this forum who posted on that. It didn't slow it down as much as I would like on -60. Will try on -80 next time.
I'm going to try -80 too. I've also had very good luck with flaperons and I've also thought about trying differential to get a smoother roll on this baby. The roll causes me heart palpitations. Flapperons are a very good mod. Sorry about the bad accident. I'm on my third fuselage due to some learning curve and one due to a failed wet rudder servo.
Lprevost is offline Find More Posts by Lprevost
Old Jun 04, 2012, 08:25 PM
Joined Oct 2011
48 Posts
I've been flying my Icon A5 for a while and feel pretty good about takeoff and landings. I'm still struggling with the bounce on landing so any tips out there would be appreciated. I've gotten better by putting some expo in the elevator to avoid overcontrol.

My brother just bought me the Electrifly Widgeon which arrives after being backordered for a while within the next few days. Has anyone who flies the A5 also had experience with the Widgeon? How do they compare in terms of difficulty?
Old Jun 04, 2012, 09:25 PM
It's gone...
Germany, NRW, Heinsberg
Joined Aug 2004
5,102 Posts
I come in slow with about a 10 degree angle of attack and use throttle to control my rate of descent. Drag the tail, then throttle back and watch it grease right in.
Old Jun 05, 2012, 08:26 AM
United States, FL, Boynton Beach
Joined Aug 2011
392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OZ_ View Post
I come in slow with about a 10 degree angle of attack and use throttle to control my rate of descent. Drag the tail, then throttle back and watch it grease right in.
+1 Same here. The goal is to have the back half of the fuse touch down first. It's a little tough because she loves to float in the air. I try to shake off a lot of air speed before beginning final approach and come in low.
lkagan is offline Find More Posts by lkagan
Old Jun 05, 2012, 10:04 AM
Norcross, GA
Joined Dec 2005
249 Posts
Our Friday morning float fly.
ggroyal1117 is offline Find More Posts by ggroyal1117
Old Jun 05, 2012, 10:30 AM
Norcross, GA
Joined Dec 2005
249 Posts
The Icon A5(upside down) and the Fun Cub were lassoed by the Saratoga and brought to shore. A piece of foam was attached to the end of the rope.
ggroyal1117 is offline Find More Posts by ggroyal1117
Old Jun 05, 2012, 12:56 PM
Joined Oct 2011
48 Posts
Thanks to _oz_ and lkagan for the landing tips. I will surely try them.

My daughter and I caught some video yesterday full of good times and some bad ones. You'll see my patented "bounce" landing frequently along with some where I extended final a bit too far! Anyways, enjoy. You can see my 12 year old was getting irritated with flying and wanted to go get ice cream.

Icon A5 Learning Curve (5 min 45 sec)
Last edited by Lprevost; Jun 05, 2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old Jun 05, 2012, 03:05 PM
It's gone...
Germany, NRW, Heinsberg
Joined Aug 2004
5,102 Posts
Don't embed. just copy and paste the you tube link from the address bar.