HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 16, 2012, 11:40 PM
Joined Mar 2012
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OZ_ View Post
I also got a couple of spare canopies today that I'm converting for AP/FPV.
Doing the same thing. My plan is to put all my fpv gear in the canopy so i can just change them out to switch from fpv to normal. We will see how it goes.... going 5.8 mhz. The A5 has plenty of power for FPV. When operating normally it has no problem lifting my GoPro2. Going to try my best to maintain CG.
maso2520 is offline Find More Posts by maso2520
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2012, 06:49 AM
Roanoke, VA
Joined Sep 2008
928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by giantkevmiester View Post
does anyone else thinkt that the stock esc in the icon is getting over-taxed, its a standard 30 amp parkzone esc and gets pretty toasty after flight, im not doing WOT or anything, im flying mostly aroud 3/4ths throttle and im just doing circuts with a loop thrown in here in there for fun. The esc gets to around 120 degrees F, has any one else had this problem?
Mine is running cool, and sustains good power. Will keep an eye on it. I ran tests on mine and full power pulling 22 amps. Has a 30 Amp speed Controller seems to work fine. Getting to 120 deg, does not seem too bad. How hot is it where you are flying?
sparkie624 is offline Find More Posts by sparkie624
Old May 17, 2012, 08:17 AM
Old Dog learning new tricks~~
United States, PA, East Stroudsburg
Joined Jan 2011
351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by giantkevmiester View Post
does anyone else thinkt that the stock esc in the icon is getting over-taxed, its a standard 30 amp parkzone esc and gets pretty toasty after flight, im not doing WOT or anything, im flying mostly aroud 3/4ths throttle and im just doing circuts with a loop thrown in here in there for fun. The esc gets to around 120 degrees F, has any one else had this problem?
Mine smoked on the first flight~~ Horizon Hobby replaced it for me
bradhoke08 is offline Find More Posts by bradhoke08
Old May 17, 2012, 12:17 PM
United States, AK, Dillingham
Joined Mar 2012
58 Posts
[QUOTE=kingsflyer;21632958]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdxtac View Post

I'd recommend using CorrosionX on all the electronics, then it won't matter if it gets wet. I soak all my electronics and all my servo connectors in CorrosionX before I ever put them in my waterplanes. I've had ESCs and RXs completely submerged and they were still working. I was able to taxi the upsidedown plane back to shore, empty out the water from the fuselage, and take off again.

McD
Thanks, I'll have to run down to the auto store and see if they have any. Would be better then plastic wrapping it. haha
hdxtac is offline Find More Posts by hdxtac
Old May 17, 2012, 01:57 PM
Joined Jun 2008
22 Posts
I recently purchased the dimension engineering DElight kit to light up the Icon. I plan to soak everything in corrosion X. Has anyone else tried this kit in a water plane with good results?
Bugjuice is offline Find More Posts by Bugjuice
Old May 17, 2012, 05:40 PM
It's gone...
Germany, NRW, Heinsberg
Joined Aug 2004
5,102 Posts
[QUOTE=hdxtac;21639382]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsflyer View Post

Thanks, I'll have to run down to the auto store and see if they have any. Would be better then plastic wrapping it. haha
just put it in a condom
_OZ_ is offline Find More Posts by _OZ_
Old May 17, 2012, 05:53 PM
It's gone...
Germany, NRW, Heinsberg
Joined Aug 2004
5,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugjuice View Post
I recently purchased the dimension engineering DElight kit to light up the Icon. I plan to soak everything in corrosion X. Has anyone else tried this kit in a water plane with good results?
Kinda a pricey system. If you are looking for scale lighting then its a great way to go. I find the blinking lights disorienting and prefer solid light strips.

I found some large rolls of inexpensive LED strips
16 FT for $13-$15 a roll.
http://www.hitlights.com/led-strip-l...rip-light.html
Old May 17, 2012, 06:20 PM
Joined Jun 2008
22 Posts
It is a little pricey, that's why I'm a little concerned about soaking this stuff in corrosion x probably followed in a short time dunking it in the lake LOL. I've got it set up on a three position switch, off for day use, mid for running lights, third for running and landing lights. I may need to add more than the scale lights if lack of orientation is an issue. I was hoping that I wouldn't be the first to review these in the wet.
Old May 17, 2012, 07:35 PM
It's gone...
Germany, NRW, Heinsberg
Joined Aug 2004
5,102 Posts
Intersting, the full size now has a prop guard.
Old May 17, 2012, 09:58 PM
Joined Aug 2010
84 Posts
I've had 2 rudder servos crap out on me, luckly on the ground. Seems to be the low spot inside the hull. Cure! Tower has a traxas waterproof servo for about 30$ thats an exact fit. It's output shaft also sits higher in the hull but no mods to linkage required. Only bad is that it doesn't come with a servo arm. Had plenty hanging around.
bigrap is online now Find More Posts by bigrap
Old May 17, 2012, 10:28 PM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
3,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrap View Post
I've had 2 rudder servos crap out on me, luckly on the ground. Seems to be the low spot inside the hull. Cure! Tower has a traxas waterproof servo for about 30$ thats an exact fit. It's output shaft also sits higher in the hull but no mods to linkage required. Only bad is that it doesn't come with a servo arm. Had plenty hanging around.
The rudder servo that's in there stock has a LOT of grease in it, much more than a standard Parkzone servo. Also has a rubber o-ring that the standard one doesn't have. The case/part number is the same as the standard one, but there are a couple differences.

What I did was use hot glue to seal ALL the way around the servo, so water can only enter through the output shaft. I don't know about you, but I never get more than a teaspoon full of water in my Icon, last Saturday I did three flights and had maybe 6 DROPS come out when I turned the fuse upside down.

If you're brave, don't hesitate to soak the servo board in Corrosion-X. I did that with the Futaba ultra-micro servo that is mounted in the float on my Taylorcraft. It is SOAKED after every flight but the servo keeps working. Just have to open the servo and treat the board with Corrosion-X

-Jay
CyberJay is offline Find More Posts by CyberJay
Old May 17, 2012, 11:42 PM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined May 2011
157 Posts
had 1 rudder servo, and a reviever crap out on me from water that got inside, luckily the plane was on the water when it happened, replaced it with a hitec HS-81 and put some packing tape on the top and bottom of the canopy before any flight, never got more that a few drop of waters inside the plane again. luckily the reciever dried out in a few days and worked again.
giantkevmiester is offline Find More Posts by giantkevmiester
Old May 17, 2012, 11:46 PM
United States, AK, Dillingham
Joined Mar 2012
58 Posts
Question 1: Can you land the Icon in water with wheels on?
Answer: Yes, yes you can : )
Question 2: How does it land in water with wheels on?
Answer: Not very pretty, but at least it doesn't flip and it stops pretty quickly.
Question 3: Can you take off in water with wheels on?
Answer: Nope. Way to much drag.
So tonight I flew the Icon and landed successfully 5 times on water with the wheels on. And this was my first flight, well landings, on water. Everything went fine and nothing got soaked. There was a little bit of water on the interior, but my Icon has been repaired a few times so I must have missed a crack or it came in throught the front wheel hole. Going to take the wheels off and try water take-off and landings tomorrow.
I'll post the video as soon as my friend gets me a copy of the video.
hdxtac is offline Find More Posts by hdxtac
Old May 18, 2012, 12:32 AM
Joined Mar 2012
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdxtac View Post
Question 1: Can you land the Icon in water with wheels on?
Answer: Yes, yes you can : )
Question 2: How does it land in water with wheels on?
Answer: Not very pretty, but at least it doesn't flip and it stops pretty quickly.
Question 3: Can you take off in water with wheels on?
Answer: Nope. Way to much drag.
So tonight I flew the Icon and landed successfully 5 times on water with the wheels on. And this was my first flight, well landings, on water. Everything went fine and nothing got soaked. There was a little bit of water on the interior, but my Icon has been repaired a few times so I must have missed a crack or it came in throught the front wheel hole. Going to take the wheels off and try water take-off and landings tomorrow.
I'll post the video as soon as my friend gets me a copy of the video.
Very cool to hear. what were your weather conditions (wind present (10+ mph)?). How fast would you estimate the landing speed to be?

Cant wait for the video!
maso2520 is offline Find More Posts by maso2520
Old May 18, 2012, 08:29 AM
Joined Jun 2008
22 Posts
I've be able to get quite a few flights under my belt both from a pontoon on a large lake and from the shoreline on smaller lakes. I've found the Icon to be pretty easy to fly. Take offs are a breeze if you get it out a ways and just let it sit for a bit it will turn into the wind like a wind sock. If you are in a boat that is the perfect direction for take off. If you are flying from shore it takes a little planning to set up for a good location to set up. Landings are always a little tricky until you learn how the plane settles in. If you set down too hot she'll skip and you'll get to land several times. If you hit it right so you can flair it back so it sits down on the rear section of the hull behind the step it's a thing of beauty. Just a tad of power at the end helps. I've never gotten into trouble flying regardless of how stiff the breeze was aloft. The trouble comes from the amount of breeze at water level. With the high wings and tail taxiing in much of a breeze in any other direction than straight into the wind is challenging until you are up on plane. Every time I've gotten into trouble it was from turning a wing tip or tail into the wind while taxiing at low speed on a breezy day. She'll get on her back pretty quick and there is nothing you can do to stop it. If you can find some calm water even on a breezy day this plane is a hoot.