HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 15, 2012, 04:28 PM
Green Bay, Wis.
Joined May 2003
225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkagan View Post
Hey guys,
I lost control of my Icon on Friday after a bit of water got in there and I did some aerobatics which got water on a the electronics. I lost control on the downward leg of a loop. The Icon dove quickly and violently nose-first into the water. Here's a list of the damages:
Burnt left aileron servo
Burnt rudder servo
Top of fuse gray plastic seperated from fuse
- Larry
Hey Larry, had some of the same sort of problems.
Stalled a couple times and nosed in and got water in the plane.
Cracked tail - gorilla glued, reniforcing rods, tape
Chattering aileron servo, took apart, dried - ok
Failed rudder servo, opened up-had 1/4" water in servo-replaced with a spare from an old T28 and silicon caulked all around the servo
Lost the gray plastic cover in front of the motor

Still flying great, I love this plane. Do lots of aerobatics and touch and goes (dead stick and some with a little power).
JimL is offline Find More Posts by JimL
to remove ads between posts
Old May 15, 2012, 11:41 PM
Joined Mar 2012
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkie624 View Post
Couple of simple items... Make sure your prop is on tight, I had that one one of mine recently... 2ndly, make sure your battery is putting out enough power. A bad or weak cell can make all the difference in the world. I doubt it is a weak motor, but anything is possible. Also (if spektrum), try to rebind the radio, making sure the throttle is all the way at idle.
Rebinding fixed the issue. not sure what happend to cause the issue. The plane flew great today. Thanks for the advice!
maso2520 is offline Find More Posts by maso2520
Old May 15, 2012, 11:49 PM
Joined Mar 2012
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdxtac View Post
I know it was asked before, but has anyone tried landing on water with the wheels attached yet? I've been thinking about trying it just for laughs and giggles. I would try right now, but the ponds are still iced over, so maybe this weekend or next week I'll try it, if no one has tried it yet.
You would get a laugh for sure. The wheels will cause a great amount of resistance once under the water, which would cause the plane to flip over.

Can always take off on solid ground, then hope for 20+ mph winds and do a hover type landing on the water . I cant imagine the plane being able to take off in water with wheels on though.

great video for repost:

Float Plane forgets "wheels up" when landing on water (0 min 11 sec)
maso2520 is offline Find More Posts by maso2520
Old May 16, 2012, 05:42 AM
It's gone...
Germany, NRW, Heinsberg
Joined Aug 2004
5,099 Posts
Quote:
I know it was asked before, but has anyone tried landing on water with the wheels attached yet? I've been thinking about trying it just for laughs and giggles. I would try right now, but the ponds are still iced over, so maybe this weekend or next week I'll try it, if no one has tried it yet.
This plane sits pretty low in the water. I bet you can. Try it, take video and post the results here.
_OZ_ is offline Find More Posts by _OZ_
Old May 16, 2012, 06:38 AM
Roanoke, VA
Joined Sep 2008
928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkagan View Post
Hey guys,

I lost control of my Icon on Friday after a bit of water got in there and I did some aerobatics which got water on a the electronics. I lost control on the downward leg of a loop. The Icon dove quickly and violently nose-first into the water. Here's a list of the damages:
  • Broken vertical stabilizer support. Apparently, there's something inside the vertical stab supporting it, you can see it if you hold up the tail to the light and look through the foam. This thing would twist about 30 degrees with little effort.
  • Small 3/4" hole on the underside of the nose
  • Burnt left aileron servo
  • Burnt rudder servo
  • Top of fuse gray plastic seperated from fuse
  • Rip in foam on top of fuse next to the wing exposing the support rod

Soooooo, here's what I did to try to repair it.
  • Broken vertical stabilizer support: Cut a groove 1/4" deep along both sides of the vertical stabilizer with a sharp blade. Put gap filling CA inside the groove and then carbon fiber rod on top of that. Then covered the rod with white paintable bathroom silicone. Painted the parts of the Icon decal that I covered with silicone. And painted the silver on the bottom that I covered with silicone. Here's the correct matching silver used on the Icon.
  • Small hole on the underside of the nose: Filled with "dries white" Gorilla Glue. Allowed it to fill the hole, shaping it as it expanded. Then sealed it with clear silicone. It's pretty tough to see it in the picture unless you really try. But you can see the white silicone I previously used to seal the leaky landing gear mount. It's just below that on the left.
  • Burnt left aileron servo: Replaced with amazingly cheap T-Pro servo I had on hand. Had to replace both ailerons since the T-Pro moved in a reverse direction to the Parkzone servo in the other wing. I didn't feel like soldering to reverse it manually. Also, since I'm using a gyro on the ailerons, I can't use two channels (1 for each aileron) and reverse one of the channels.
  • Burnt rudder servo: Replaced with the HobbyKing Digital ball bearing coreless mini servo. Way overkill but I had it on hand. It's bigger than the Parkzone rudder servo but it didn't require any cutting of the fuse, I just pushed it in after putting a bit of white silicone on the sides and then surrounded the edges with silicone.
  • Top of fuse gray plastic seperated from fuse: Gap filling CA
  • Rip in foam on top of fuse next to the wing exposing the support rod: Gap filling CA.

I took her for a test flight and she performs perfectly even with 20% more throws than the manual suggests. I ran her through a few loops, rolls and high-speed aileron deflection tests to check on those questionable aileron servos. I had to change the gain on my rudder gyro a bit for the new rudder servo but we're back to flying just like she did before, and no tail wag. Although she certainly doesn't look like she did when new. But from 5 feet away, it looks perfect.

- Larry
Did I see this correctly, Do you have "2" HK Servos installed? Roll and Lateral?
sparkie624 is offline Find More Posts by sparkie624
Old May 16, 2012, 07:50 AM
United States, FL, Boynton Beach
Joined Aug 2011
392 Posts
Yeah, 2. Roll & yaw.
lkagan is offline Find More Posts by lkagan
Old May 16, 2012, 09:20 AM
United States, FL, Boynton Beach
Joined Aug 2011
392 Posts
Quote:
That would be very cool, but I can guarantee you that it's going to wind up costing you money for repairs. Plenty of water will get into the fuse and you can almost certainly say good bye to your rudder servo. I don't recommend trying it.
lkagan is offline Find More Posts by lkagan
Old May 16, 2012, 10:12 AM
puttin' warheads on foreheads
United States, GA, Houston
Joined Aug 2010
6 Posts
Has there been any discussion about the droop (NASA Droop) being incorrectly configured? The drooped section just seems to be an extension of the leading edge. Hmmmmm.

The depictions of the droop I have seen show the upper surface of the drooped outboard section matching the upper surface of the rest of the wing's upper surface/airfoil contour, (i.e. same camber profile inboard of the droop as the drooped section itself) with the leading edge of the drooped displaced below the inboard section of the wing, hence the term "drooped." I do not have a depiction of Andy Lennon droop illustration but if able to find it you would see what I mean.

I maidened my A5 today and the power-off stall is very abrupt.

Cool little plane, though, i look forward to getting to know it better.
Ifxjets is offline Find More Posts by Ifxjets
Old May 16, 2012, 01:32 PM
It's gone...
Germany, NRW, Heinsberg
Joined Aug 2004
5,099 Posts
Just got back from the lake after a few flights. I haven't flown it since SEFF. This plane is fun!!
I greased in a few landings. Its a challenge to set the lading up perfect every time, especially with the wind.

I also got a couple of spare canopies today that I'm converting for AP/FPV.
_OZ_ is offline Find More Posts by _OZ_
Old May 16, 2012, 01:54 PM
United States, AK, Dillingham
Joined Mar 2012
58 Posts
[QUOTE=maso2520;21625847]You would get a laugh for sure. The wheels will cause a great amount of resistance once under the water, which would cause the plane to flip over.

Can always take off on solid ground, then hope for 20+ mph winds and do a hover type landing on the water . I cant imagine the plane being able to take off in water with wheels on though.

Well I was planning on hand launching the Icon and then land on water. I've hand launched it before and it flies just fine. I was thinking about wrapping everything in plastic bags or plastic wrap or something before trying it. I know heat issues, but I figure that I'll only be up in the air long enough to line up and "land" the plane.
hdxtac is offline Find More Posts by hdxtac
Old May 16, 2012, 06:33 PM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
4,970 Posts
[QUOTE=hdxtac;21630582]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maso2520 View Post
I was thinking about wrapping everything in plastic bags or plastic wrap or something before trying it. I know heat issues, but I figure that I'll only be up in the air long enough to line up and "land" the plane.
I'd recommend using CorrosionX on all the electronics, then it won't matter if it gets wet. I soak all my electronics and all my servo connectors in CorrosionX before I ever put them in my waterplanes. I've had ESCs and RXs completely submerged and they were still working. I was able to taxi the upsidedown plane back to shore, empty out the water from the fuselage, and take off again.

McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old May 16, 2012, 06:36 PM
Roanoke, VA
Joined Sep 2008
928 Posts
[QUOTE=kingsflyer;21632958]
Quote:

I'd recommend using CorrosionX on all the electronics, then it won't matter if it gets wet. I soak all my electronics and all my servo connectors in CorrosionX before I ever put them in my waterplanes. I've had ESCs and RXs completely submerged and they were still working. I was able to taxi the upsidedown plane back to shore, empty out the water from the fuselage, and take off again.

McD
That is an idea that I hadn't thought of... Just courious, where do you get it the CorrosionX at and is it sprayed or dipped on, or how is it applied?
sparkie624 is offline Find More Posts by sparkie624
Old May 16, 2012, 06:46 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,103 Posts
CorrosionX can be bought at most auto stores or big box and DIY stores if they have an auto department. There are alternative brands as well... basically you are looking for "dielectric silicon grease".

You can get an aerosol can and spray it under the shrink wrap until it overflows, or you can buy it in a can and dip it... just dip the ESC but not the ends of the wires or you might reduce their conductivity (and makes it a PITA to solder/de-solder)
warhead_71 is online now Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old May 16, 2012, 06:55 PM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
4,970 Posts
6 oz spray can is 9.99 at TrueValue hardware stores. I usually just spray under the heatshrink on the ESC. Some folks spray the CorrosionX into a small jar and then submerge the electronics in the jar. That way they can reuse the liquid over and over. You will need to drain the electronics over a paper towel overnight.

CorrosionX will coat the PC boards and soak into the servo lead wires and protect them from any water intrusion. It also has a 40,000 volt dielectric insulation value.

McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old May 16, 2012, 10:36 PM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined May 2011
157 Posts
does anyone else thinkt that the stock esc in the icon is getting over-taxed, its a standard 30 amp parkzone esc and gets pretty toasty after flight, im not doing WOT or anything, im flying mostly aroud 3/4ths throttle and im just doing circuts with a loop thrown in here in there for fun. The esc gets to around 120 degrees F, has any one else had this problem?
giantkevmiester is offline Find More Posts by giantkevmiester