May 15, 2012, 09:45 AM
United States, FL, Boynton Beach
Joined Aug 2011
Resurrecting the Icon A5
I lost control of my Icon on Friday after a bit of water got in there and I did some aerobatics which got water on a the electronics. I lost control on the downward leg of a loop. The Icon dove quickly and violently nose-first into the water. Here's a list of the damages:
- Broken vertical stabilizer support. Apparently, there's something inside the vertical stab supporting it, you can see it if you hold up the tail to the light and look through the foam. This thing would twist about 30 degrees with little effort.
- Small 3/4" hole on the underside of the nose
- Burnt left aileron servo
- Burnt rudder servo
- Top of fuse gray plastic seperated from fuse
- Rip in foam on top of fuse next to the wing exposing the support rod
Soooooo, here's what I did to try to repair it.
- Broken vertical stabilizer support: Cut a groove 1/4" deep along both sides of the vertical stabilizer with a sharp blade. Put gap filling CA inside the groove and then carbon fiber rod on top of that. Then covered the rod with white paintable bathroom silicone. Painted the parts of the Icon decal that I covered with silicone. And painted the silver on the bottom that I covered with silicone. Here's the correct matching silver used on the Icon.
- Small hole on the underside of the nose: Filled with "dries white" Gorilla Glue. Allowed it to fill the hole, shaping it as it expanded. Then sealed it with clear silicone. It's pretty tough to see it in the picture unless you really try. But you can see the white silicone I previously used to seal the leaky landing gear mount. It's just below that on the left.
- Burnt left aileron servo: Replaced with amazingly cheap T-Pro servo I had on hand. Had to replace both ailerons since the T-Pro moved in a reverse direction to the Parkzone servo in the other wing. I didn't feel like soldering to reverse it manually. Also, since I'm using a gyro on the ailerons, I can't use two channels (1 for each aileron) and reverse one of the channels.
- Burnt rudder servo: Replaced with the HobbyKing Digital ball bearing coreless mini servo. Way overkill but I had it on hand. It's bigger than the Parkzone rudder servo but it didn't require any cutting of the fuse, I just pushed it in after putting a bit of white silicone on the sides and then surrounded the edges with silicone.
- Top of fuse gray plastic seperated from fuse: Gap filling CA
- Rip in foam on top of fuse next to the wing exposing the support rod: Gap filling CA.
I took her for a test flight and she performs perfectly even with 20% more throws than the manual suggests. I ran her through a few loops, rolls and high-speed aileron deflection tests to check on those questionable aileron servos. I had to change the gain on my rudder gyro a bit for the new rudder servo but we're back to flying just like she did before, and no tail wag. Although she certainly doesn't look like she did when new. But from 5 feet away, it looks perfect.
Last edited by lkagan; May 15, 2012 at 09:59 AM.