TimBle is offline Find More Posts by TimBle
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2012, 08:18 PM
It's gone...
Germany, NRW, Heinsberg
Joined Aug 2004
5,102 Posts
Tail Wagging:
I wonder why Horizon didn't use AS3X for this?
_OZ_ is offline Find More Posts by _OZ_
Old May 09, 2012, 08:30 PM
It's gone...
Germany, NRW, Heinsberg
Joined Aug 2004
5,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkagan View Post
That's one of the biggest issues with this bird and was covered extensively earlier in this thread. There's no true solution but the best way to mask the problem is with a gyro on the tail. Here's how I put a gyro on the tail and another on the ailerons:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=513
This needs a like button.
_OZ_ is offline Find More Posts by _OZ_
Old May 11, 2012, 05:44 PM
United States, NC, Morrisville
Joined Oct 2011
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovrclkd View Post
... and noticed cracks in the plastic wing inserts on the top of the leading edge of the fuselage sides where the wings slide into them. Anyone else seen this?
I couldn't move them but they run across the plastic? One on each side.
I also haven't noticed any trouble with the Gray fairing on the fuse in front of the motor. Mine won't budge so I don't think it will come off during flight.
Don't worry -- no cracks, those are in all of them. I'm on my second fuselage (learning curve ). On my first fuse, the method they were using to glue that fairing on was with hard glue and it cracked off easily. I lost mine on takeoff as it blew through the prop.

On my second fuse, I noticed they changed their method and are using that soft white caulk like glue and it holds much better. I pulled it off anyway and reglued it with clear silicon but it was definitely manufactured much better. I think they must be listening to this forum!
Lprevost is offline Find More Posts by Lprevost
Old May 12, 2012, 08:45 PM
Jersey Shore
Joined Feb 2012
264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lprevost View Post
Don't worry -- no cracks, those are in all of them. I'm on my second fuselage (learning curve ). On my first fuse, the method they were using to glue that fairing on was with hard glue and it cracked off easily. I lost mine on takeoff as it blew through the prop.

On my second fuse, I noticed they changed their method and are using that soft white caulk like glue and it holds much better. I pulled it off anyway and reglued it with clear silicon but it was definitely manufactured much better. I think they must be listening to this forum!
Thanks for the reply!

I flew the Icon today at the field, still too windy on the bay for a water takeoff and the tail wag was TERRIBLE! Every time I came out of a hard bank turn it wagged like a dog waiting for a treat!

I've ordered 3MM Carbon Rod that I'll run along the fuse to the tail on either side to stiffen it. If that doesn't take most of it out I'll buy the Gyro from HK.
I like the plane but the tail wag is unnerving to say the least.

Would I have still bought the plane if I had a chance to fly it first? .....
Probably not.
ovrclkd is offline Find More Posts by ovrclkd
Old May 12, 2012, 09:08 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Canada, ON, Midland
Joined Jan 2012
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovrclkd View Post
Thanks for the reply!

I flew the Icon today at the field, still too windy on the bay for a water takeoff and the tail wag was TERRIBLE! Every time I came out of a hard bank turn it wagged like a dog waiting for a treat!

I've ordered 3MM Carbon Rod that I'll run along the fuse to the tail on either side to stiffen it. If that doesn't take most of it out I'll buy the Gyro from HK.
I like the plane but the tail wag is unnerving to say the least.

Would I have still bought the plane if I had a chance to fly it first? .....
Probably not.
save yourself to $$ on the carbon rod... this issue is the lack of airflow over the tail when coming off the throttle, or more specifically, the lack of air flow. I have used a gopro facing the tail and there is very little play in the tail in relation to the fuse... acutally the wings move more than the tail... I posted the video awhile ago a few pages back about this... you do have a couple solutions though... you already mentioned a gyro, i have done this but you may want to look into getting a stronger servo for your rudder... I burned mine out after about 20 flights..., so after pulling my gyro and replacing my servo I have started doing what some of the guys on here have talked about... very briefly give a little bit of left or right rudder when you get that dutch roll effect.. and the plane straightens out real quick... it puts some pressure on the vertical stab and while you may have a small knife edge effect for a second... it settles the plane down.. especially during landing.

the real question is how this issue passed QC during testing... but thats a whole other can of worms!

regardless love this plane though... i would have still bought it ahead time if I had known.. but I live near alot of water and almost never use the landing gear...

When I find that vid I will repost it.
Ayeager is offline Find More Posts by Ayeager
Last edited by Ayeager; May 12, 2012 at 09:21 PM.
Old May 12, 2012, 09:13 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Canada, ON, Midland
Joined Jan 2012
176 Posts
the video is post #562 if you want to see it
Ayeager is offline Find More Posts by Ayeager
Last edited by Ayeager; May 12, 2012 at 09:22 PM.
Old May 12, 2012, 10:14 PM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
3,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberJay View Post
Man, I went out to fly yesterday, which was the first time that my schedule and the weather have cooperated in about 5-6 weeks. I got to the lake, set everything up, and.... The rudder didn't move.

I checked the pushrod and it moved fine. I moved the rudder servo to the aileron channel and it still wouldn't move. I disconnected the rudder servo from the receiver and tried to move it with my fingers and that sucker was locked up, would not move. I finally decided I've got nothing to lose so I forced the servo arm and it actually jumped a tooth on the gear. Still totally locked up.

Packed up and went home, when I got home I removed the servo from the airplane and tried it again. Totally frozen. So I took the cover off of it and looked for any trouble. I couldn't see any problems so I plugged it into the receiver without the cover on it and what do you know? It worked just fine.

I then put the cover and horn back on and it seems to be working fine now. I'm not planning on putting it back in the airplane, I'll use something else instead. Fairly frustrated that I didn't get to enjoy the nice day with it yesterday. I did go home, grab some other planes, and go to the club field. So, at least I got to fly.

-Jay
I wanted to follow this up. I looked through my servos I had laying around and didn't find anything that was going to fit perfectly, so I talked myself into putting the stock servo back. I used hot glue and sealed all the way around it so there's no way water could get in, except through the output shaft hole, which is elevated. The Icon doesn't get more than a couple drops of water in it anyway, so I think I'll be fine. I have about 10 flights on it since the rudder servo was locked and it seems to be fine. I will report back if anything funky happens.

-Jay
CyberJay is offline Find More Posts by CyberJay
Old May 13, 2012, 02:37 PM
Jersey Shore
Joined Feb 2012
264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayeager View Post
save yourself to $$ on the carbon rod... this issue is the lack of airflow over the tail when coming off the throttle, or more specifically, the lack of air flow. I have used a gopro facing the tail and there is very little play in the tail in relation to the fuse... acutally the wings move more than the tail... I posted the video awhile ago a few pages back about this... you do have a couple solutions though... you already mentioned a gyro, i have done this but you may want to look into getting a stronger servo for your rudder... I burned mine out after about 20 flights..., so after pulling my gyro and replacing my servo I have started doing what some of the guys on here have talked about... very briefly give a little bit of left or right rudder when you get that dutch roll effect.. and the plane straightens out real quick... it puts some pressure on the vertical stab and while you may have a small knife edge effect for a second... it settles the plane down.. especially during landing.

the real question is how this issue passed QC during testing... but thats a whole other can of worms!

regardless love this plane though... i would have still bought it ahead time if I had known.. but I live near alot of water and almost never use the landing gear...

When I find that vid I will repost it.
Thanks Ayeager ...
I flew the plane again today from land (blowing 20 knots across the bay here at the Jersey Shore) and the plane flew different (?). The wind was 6 to 8 with some 12 mph gusts and the wag was considerably less. Yesterday was calm at 3 to 4 mph. The planes seems to like the wind (what plane doesn't) and carved thru it nicely. I could see it wag once in a while but not as bad as yesterday.
I did use some rudder in the turns and they were pretty smooth.
Looks like I climbed on the soapbox too soon

When I mentioned adding carbon rods to the tail one recommendation from a club member was to run struts from the fuse to the underside of the stab.
I have the pads and clips to do this and it would definately stiffen the tail and keep it from flexing. I don't know about others but I can move the tail on my Icon a good 1/4" side to side with very little effort. I used silicone glue at the fuse/tail joint but it didn't help.

I cannot wait for a calm water day so I can fly it as it was intended. I live right on the bay here and bought this for that sole purpose as our club is a 40 minute drive. It's saltwater and I put foam in the air intake as suggested earlier and changed the canopy gasket to a ribbed type we use to seal boat hatches at work. I will get some corrosion inhibitor spray for the electronics as well to keep the inevitable to a minimum.

Thanks again for the replies, the planes a looker and grew on me big time after the flights this morning!
Old May 13, 2012, 10:06 PM
Work....fly, repeat...
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Joined Jul 2008
1,618 Posts
Looking forward to taking my A5 down to the Outer Banks of North Carolina soon and flying off the quiet saltwater Sound. Should be fun if I can keep the saltwater out! Good idea about the intake foam. I missed that one. What type? Any other suggestions?
Thanks
AeroRecon is offline Find More Posts by AeroRecon
Old May 13, 2012, 10:34 PM
Roanoke, VA
Joined Sep 2008
928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroRecon View Post
Looking forward to taking my A5 down to the Outer Banks of North Carolina soon and flying off the quiet saltwater Sound. Should be fun if I can keep the saltwater out! Good idea about the intake foam. I missed that one. What type? Any other suggestions?
Thanks
Protect your electronics from Salt... Salt is a real killer. If you can, put your receiver in a air/water tight package as well as your ESC. Seal your servos as well if you can.

Sparkie
sparkie624 is offline Find More Posts by sparkie624
Old May 14, 2012, 02:08 AM
United States, TX, Lindale
Joined Mar 2012
18 Posts
I have been twinkering around with mine.
I want to add flaps to the wings, Any one have a "How-To". I'm ferly new to this hobby on the aspect of building and modifying.

1. What servo's to use Hitec HS-55,HS-65HB,HS-65MG?
DPkiller is offline Find More Posts by DPkiller
Old May 14, 2012, 06:41 AM
Roanoke, VA
Joined Sep 2008
928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPkiller View Post
I have been twinkering around with mine.
I want to add flaps to the wings, Any one have a "How-To". I'm ferly new to this hobby on the aspect of building and modifying.

1. What servo's to use Hitec HS-55,HS-65HB,HS-65MG?
At least a 65 I would say. 55's are not that strong. Also, be sure to find some way to seal them from moisture.
sparkie624 is offline Find More Posts by sparkie624
Old May 14, 2012, 07:07 AM
Jersey Shore
Joined Feb 2012
264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroRecon View Post
Thanks
I cut a piece of foam found in Pelican Cases. I use those cases for my amplifier tubes.
The foam is very porous and will block the water from entering while allowing some air flow for cooling. Hope this helps.

PS: camera cases use a similar material.
Old May 14, 2012, 11:47 PM
Joined Mar 2012
10 Posts
So, i have around ~60 flights on my A5 and today i had a major problem. For some reason it took way too long to take off (60-80ft). Dead clam, no winds today. I have 7 batteries and it did the same for all of them. It flew perfect the last time i took it out.

The field i go to is a grass runway. I was barely able to make it off the ground before i hit the non-mowed area.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=33.244...8&z=19&iwloc=A

Could the motor be going bad already (prop is on correct way, and i use the landing gear)?
maso2520 is offline Find More Posts by maso2520