HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 26, 2012, 09:29 PM
Addicted
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2011
1,060 Posts
I'm jealous. Mine tip stalled and recovered just in time to hit power lines at the end of the pond. Bummer. So, I'm using the motor, prop, ESC, receiver and battery on my powered parachute until I get replacement wings and a fuse. I think they're still backordered.
Sixinarow is offline Find More Posts by Sixinarow
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2012, 06:50 AM
Let me Fly please :^)
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,316 Posts
Well my little rescue boat is ready to go.
Did change the Prop for a better performance so now I have 150 watt of power
I can spin around the living room
Paul-RC is online now Find More Posts by Paul-RC
Old Apr 27, 2012, 08:37 AM
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,316 Posts
Another small video flying off choppy water

http://youtu.be/s7SjGvhXTQU
Old Apr 27, 2012, 09:36 AM
Go Fly Yourself...!!
United States, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Oct 2004
1,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-RC View Post
Another small video flying off choppy water

http://youtu.be/s7SjGvhXTQU
Nice job Paul,
I'm tempted to do the same mod to mine after I get the FPV installed.

I'm wondering though... next time can you video the difference between a landing with flaps and one without? Like to see the two back to back in the same video if possible.

Thanks in advance,
D-Man
xxD-Manxx is offline Find More Posts by xxD-Manxx
Old Apr 27, 2012, 09:44 AM
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFloth View Post
Nice job Paul,
I'm tempted to do the same mod to mine after I get the FPV installed.

I'm wondering though... next time can you video the difference between a landing with flaps and one without? Like to see the two back to back in the same video if possible.

Thanks in advance,
D-Man
I should of done that yesterday but I got carried away flying with flaps all the time and forgot to do the comparison vidios
If its windy you can land short with no flaps but if its calm the landing is long and fast and forget about a steep descent unless you side slip in.
The flying with flaps down is very stable too.

Next time I go out I will do comparision flights with and without flaps.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 09:48 AM
Go Fly Yourself...!!
Joined Oct 2004
1,431 Posts
Quote:
I should of done that yesterday but I got carried away flying with flaps all the time and forgot to do the comparison vidios
If its windy you can land short with no flaps but if its calm the landing is long and fast and forget about a steep descent unless you side slip in.
The flying with flaps down is very stable too.

Next time I go out I will do comparision flights with and without flaps.
Perfect.. thanks my friend!

D-Man
Old Apr 27, 2012, 01:00 PM
Joined Jun 2008
22 Posts
I'm a new Icon 5 owner and I'm having a blast with this thing. I've been thinking about building a rescue boat for use on the local small lakes that I fly from the shoreline. I fly Futaba equipment and I've found their system bulletproof for years. But thinking about recovering an aircraft that is still plugged in and completely functional but unflyable and switching models to a rescue boat for a recovery is not going to work on the same radio. When you throttle up the rescue boat the Icon will also throttle up. I do have another Futaba radio even a DSM2 I can bind the boat to so It's not a problem for me. I just wanted to throw this out there for the other Futaba guys that might be thinking about a rescue boat on the same radio with the Icon. You're going to have to bind the boat to a different radio. I hope this helps someone that is not aware of this one shortcoming in the Fasst system, lack of model match.
Bugjuice is offline Find More Posts by Bugjuice
Old Apr 27, 2012, 01:05 PM
My middle name is Alton
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Joined Nov 2007
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfaulguy View Post
So are you saying the plane is durable or not? Isn't it the same Z Foam as their T-28?
I would say it is durable to crashes, but you will have to use glue and tape for the nit-picky stuff. I was having a lot off issues with pieces of foam breaking with normal landings on grass. Grass seems to be hard on the foam. I haven't used the wheels, I don't think they would work very well on grass. I think the Icon would hold up well on wheels and water.

I think the foam is the same as the T28 (I don't have a T28). I have the Parkzone Corsair and it seems to be the same.
AltonMan is offline Find More Posts by AltonMan
Old Apr 27, 2012, 01:08 PM
My middle name is Alton
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Joined Nov 2007
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugjuice View Post
I'm a new Icon 5 owner and I'm having a blast with this thing. I've been thinking about building a rescue boat for use on the local small lakes that I fly from the shoreline. I fly Futaba equipment and I've found their system bulletproof for years. But thinking about recovering an aircraft that is still plugged in and completely functional but unflyable and switching models to a rescue boat for a recovery is not going to work on the same radio. When you throttle up the rescue boat the Icon will also throttle up. I do have another Futaba radio even a DSM2 I can bind the boat to so It's not a problem for me. I just wanted to throw this out there for the other Futaba guys that might be thinking about a rescue boat on the same radio with the Icon. You're going to have to bind the boat to a different radio. I hope this helps someone that is not aware of this one shortcoming in the Fasst system, lack of model match.
My rescue boat uses a different 72mhz transmitter and receiver. I have a DX8, so I thought about just switching to a different model on the transmitter in order to control the rescue boat - but my kids like to drive my rescue boat around in the water, so I went separate.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 01:11 PM
My middle name is Alton
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Joined Nov 2007
231 Posts
Quote:
Well my little rescue boat is ready to go.
Did change the Prop for a better performance so now I have 150 watt of power
I can spin around the living room
That looks sweet! Looks like it will be pretty fast too. Be careful not to flip on the way to rescuing a plane
Old Apr 27, 2012, 06:01 PM
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AltonMan View Post
That looks sweet! Looks like it will be pretty fast too. Be careful not to flip on the way to rescuing a plane
It will be fast on the water as I tried it on the grass and I could not beleive the speed
Who knows I might just have as much fun with the Airboat as the Icon A5
Old Apr 28, 2012, 11:05 PM
United States, AK, Dillingham
Joined Mar 2012
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AltonMan View Post
I would say it is durable to crashes, but you will have to use glue and tape for the nit-picky stuff. I was having a lot off issues with pieces of foam breaking with normal landings on grass. Grass seems to be hard on the foam. I haven't used the wheels, I don't think they would work very well on grass. I think the Icon would hold up well on wheels and water.

I think the foam is the same as the T28 (I don't have a T28). I have the Parkzone Corsair and it seems to be the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfaulguy View Post
So are you saying the plane is durable or not? Isn't it the same Z Foam as their T-28?
it is quite durable, with the exception of the tail, if you review my previous posts you should do some structural "improvements" to the tail. a few carbon fiber strips will help. I've nose dived mine quite a few time, it was the wind i swear, haha also if your going to be doing some grass landings then you should do something with the underside. i used epoxy in a thin layer to help protect the foam and smoothen out the surface or use fiberglass like others have. the wings are pretty dang durable. they have a spar going from the one end to almost the other end and they will take a beating like you wouldn't believe. it's the plastic connectors that are it's weak point, but that takes a beating to and still hangs on. The tips don't handle crashes well though. Tape the top of the t-tail or something else. The landing gear seems to be pretty sturdent even after some hard landings on gravel.
As for water landings you'll have to ask others cause i still have not had the enjoyment of water flights. it's alaska and here is snow and tundra, but not enough water anywhere to even try. there is still so much snow and ice around still. maybe in a month there will be a big enough pond to give a review about it.
hdxtac is offline Find More Posts by hdxtac
Old Apr 29, 2012, 07:14 AM
Go Fly Yourself...!!
Joined Oct 2004
1,431 Posts
PZ Icon A5 FPV

Here's what I've been working on.. My PZ Icon A5 FPV!

I bought a second canopy, gutted it and laid a thin ply floor for the camera then mounted the vid.tx and vid battery to the back of the canopy. FPV canopy came out 1.7oz heaver then stock with most of that at the back of the canopy. CG was hardly effected.

Also replaced the motor and ESC. Motor was almost a direct replacement and really brought the Icon to life. She cruses easily at just under 1/2 throttle. With flight time on a 2650 3s at 15min.

Motor: Turnigy D3536 1450kv : http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18226
ESC: CC Phoenix 60.

Flaps are my next adventure. (Thanks Paul!)

Love'n the PZ Icon A5!!
D-Man
Last edited by xxD-Manxx; Apr 29, 2012 at 07:21 AM.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 07:53 AM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
2,971 Posts
Man, I went out to fly yesterday, which was the first time that my schedule and the weather have cooperated in about 5-6 weeks. I got to the lake, set everything up, and.... The rudder didn't move.

I checked the pushrod and it moved fine. I moved the rudder servo to the aileron channel and it still wouldn't move. I disconnected the rudder servo from the receiver and tried to move it with my fingers and that sucker was locked up, would not move. I finally decided I've got nothing to lose so I forced the servo arm and it actually jumped a tooth on the gear. Still totally locked up.

Packed up and went home, when I got home I removed the servo from the airplane and tried it again. Totally frozen. So I took the cover off of it and looked for any trouble. I couldn't see any problems so I plugged it into the receiver without the cover on it and what do you know? It worked just fine.

I then put the cover and horn back on and it seems to be working fine now. I'm not planning on putting it back in the airplane, I'll use something else instead. Fairly frustrated that I didn't get to enjoy the nice day with it yesterday. I did go home, grab some other planes, and go to the club field. So, at least I got to fly.

-Jay
CyberJay is offline Find More Posts by CyberJay
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite 85" Carbon-Z Cub
Old Apr 29, 2012, 09:36 PM
Joined Aug 2010
79 Posts
Cure for wingtips

Just had a wingtip mishap on a mild landing. I had already fiberglassed the bottom of the wing past the air cut but I didn't want anything to show on top. The cure, put two carbon fiber rods in each wingtip and pull them out again and coat with epoxy, push back in and fill holes with filler. Has to be much stronger! Thanks Charlie for the suggestion. Also everyone is lightining the canopy and I was wondering if they were using a smaller battery to get the same C.G.?
bigrap is online now Find More Posts by bigrap