SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 25, 2012, 04:01 PM
United States, FL, Boynton Beach
Joined Aug 2011
392 Posts
FrieGuy: would live to see some photos so I can copy it!
lkagan is offline Find More Posts by lkagan
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2012, 08:06 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Sep 2007
1,802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreiGuy View Post
I am in love with my Icon. I actually took a spare canopy and engineered a mount for my GoPro Hero cam. Fantastic videos from it. When I'm flying it with the camera, I set the battery on the floor of the plane so it's next to the rudder servo. Push a piece of foam so the battery doesn't move and that keeps the CG in the same spot as flying it stock without the camera.
I did have one issue after a hard landing that had some water get on the inside. Didn't think much of it, but when I went to take it out again the rudder servo was acting intermitent. I removed the rudder servo and found water inside it.
I'd suggest before you ever get water in it to seal the edges of the rudder servo with some silicone caulk.
This is one awesome plane!!
Would also like to see how you mounted it. How does the Icon handle the extra weight? I'll be flying mine at an elevation of 6,000. MIght have to get a power 10 motor.
tulz43 is offline Find More Posts by tulz43
Old Apr 26, 2012, 02:56 AM
Burlington, NJ USA
Joined Apr 2001
426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AltonMan View Post
Thanks for all who have contributed to make this forum so informative, useful and entertaining.

I picked up a Parkzon Icon A5 at the Weak Signals RC show in Toledo. I've had a couple of flights in my backyard and to be honest, I was not too impressed with the durability of the foam. I had no problems landing this plane, it glides in very nice and stable. I had not crashed it either - but every time I flew something was breaking off

First was the tail area under the rudder with the upside-down v shaped area. I think that broke off from a grass take-off (I'm not sure because I didn't notice it until I was carrying the plane into the house. I had to look for a long time to find it). Then one of the back area part of the flaring broke off on decent landing. Then, the entire wing tip broke off - all on pretty soft landings. I was able to make the repairs using Welder's Adhesive. I put a very thin layer on each part, let it air dry for a minute or two and then press them together.

All in all - I am impressed with the durability.

So are you saying the plane is durable or not? Isn't it the same Z Foam as their T-28?
bfaulguy is offline Find More Posts by bfaulguy
Old Apr 26, 2012, 04:38 AM
Fly the Discombooberator!
Joined Nov 2003
438 Posts
Icon A5 Paint

Love my Icon - but need to get a can of paint to match repair the wing and tail tips which is a sort of bright red but not flourescent - anyone know who makes it?? can't seem to find an equivalent.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=28

(Hi mr Parkzone can you answer this one??)

magnetman the great
magnetman is offline Find More Posts by magnetman
Old Apr 26, 2012, 04:44 AM
Let me Fly please :^)
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman View Post
Love my Icon - but need to get a can of paint to match repair the wing and tail tips which is a sort of bright red but not flourescent - anyone know who makes it?? can't seem to find an equivalent.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=28

(Hi mr Parkzone can you answer this one??)

magnetman the great
Yes would be nice to get the color codes as I'm still trying to find the gray color under the wing to cover my Flap work area.
Paul-RC is offline Find More Posts by Paul-RC
Old Apr 26, 2012, 06:46 AM
Fly the Discombooberator!
Joined Nov 2003
438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-RC View Post
Yes would be nice to get the color codes as I'm still trying to find the gray color under the wing to cover my Flap work area.
Yeah this plane needs flaps, something I intend to do. I just fitted some high intensity strobe lights (Flytron) to the headlights (red port, green stbd.) not scale I know but effect is fantastic.
magnetman is offline Find More Posts by magnetman
Old Apr 26, 2012, 06:51 AM
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman View Post
Yeah this plane needs flaps, something I intend to do. I just fitted some high intensity strobe lights (Flytron) to the headlights (red port, green stbd.) not scale I know but effect is fantastic.
Cool! I have the landing lights installed too but they are not very strong unless I fly when its much darker.
I'm hopping to test the flaps this morning on the water , just getting ready now but have to wait for the fence to the park to open. Hopefully they wont wait too long because the wind and rain again is on the way
Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:21 PM
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,657 Posts
Ok Guys, just came back from 4 Icon A5 water flight with Flaps .
All I can say is Wow! do yourself a favor and install flaps its fantastic!
Very short take-Off , slow flight and very short slow landings .
I was doing very steep descents and landing in a very short distance.
With flaps down at Mid or Full I was getting a bit of pitch up so I mix the elevator trim to a bit of down but very little needed.
Guess what I tried to get tail wag and nothing at all too.
So I was flying with full flaps down almost all the time doing circuits of all kind.
Major fun

I also have videos from my headcam but I have lots to edit because of the lenght so I will work on them later tonight.
For now a couple pictures . I was alone so I had to make do
Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:39 PM
Stone Mountain, GA
Joined May 2007
409 Posts
+1

Flaps are an easy modification and well worth the trouble! Perhaps the 1.1 version will include wings with pre-scored lines and servo wells.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-RC View Post
Ok Guys, just came back from 4 Icon A5 water flight with Flaps .
All I can say is Wow! do yourself a favor and install flaps its fantastic!
Very short take-Off , slow flight and very short slow landings .
I was doing very steep descents and landing in a very short distance.
With flaps down at Mid or Full I was getting a bit of pitch up so I mix the elevator trim to a bit of down but very little needed.
Guess what I tried to get tail wag and nothing at all too.
So I was flying with full flaps down almost all the time doing circuits of all kind.
Major fun

I also have videos from my headcam but I have lots to edit because of the lenght so I will work on them later tonight.
For now a couple pictures . I was alone so I had to make do
dgfinch is offline Find More Posts by dgfinch
Old Apr 26, 2012, 03:58 PM
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,657 Posts
Here is my small video guys, sorry but thats with a headcam so no zoom.

http://youtu.be/jI0QQ1dYHP8
Old Apr 26, 2012, 06:19 PM
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,657 Posts
This afternoon I decided to build myself a retrieval boat since I had what I needed
It should do ok but I hope I wont need it
Old Apr 26, 2012, 07:50 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,179 Posts
Be careful with that prop... one slip and you'll chew up the plane you are trying to rescue. Maybe a shroud would help.
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old Apr 26, 2012, 07:53 PM
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead_71 View Post
Be careful with that prop... one slip and you'll chew up the plane you are trying to rescue. Maybe a shroud would help.
Its not all done yet , there will be some protection from the prop
Old Apr 26, 2012, 08:31 PM
United States, NC, Morrisville
Joined Oct 2011
48 Posts
Thanks for posting that Paul. That convinces me. Flaps are what I need. BTW -- Spring has deifnitely not "sprung" yet in Montreal. We are knee deep in pollen season (even past it) here in the Southeast.
Lprevost is offline Find More Posts by Lprevost
Old Apr 26, 2012, 08:38 PM
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lprevost View Post
Thanks for posting that Paul. That convinces me. Flaps are what I need. BTW -- Spring has deifnitely not "sprung" yet in Montreal. We are knee deep in pollen season (even past it) here in the Southeast.
It was really cold flying this morning my fingers were num
Still , I had fun anyway