HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 24, 2012, 11:46 AM
Marion, Indiana, United States
Joined Apr 2003
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AltonMan View Post
My rescue boat ("Pinky") is just made from some scrap foam I had in my shop after making some floats. It's made up of 2" pink insulation foam and fanfold.

My electronics are not waterproofed on the rescue boat other than some caulk on the open area of the esc.

I'm a little embarrassed to show pictures of "pinky." It's really just junky hardware and foam. I made my boat a few years ago when I was flying a slowstick on floats. After I made the boat, I never had to use it I whipped it up in about 15 minutes. My first attempt did not have the little pig feet, I added those later because the front of the boat wanted to dig in and water would go over the deck. I'm sure I could correct this problem with a longer piece of foam, but the boat does what I would like it to do as is.
Sometimes simple is the best way to go. Like the pig feet.
Bob
bob parker is offline Find More Posts by bob parker
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2012, 01:05 PM
Joined Dec 2008
345 Posts
I noticed that the esc and rx listed for the Icon A5 show that they are coated (BNF). If getting a PNP model and adding your on AR600 how would you go about coating it, or would it even be necessary for the rx?

Bob
thinman is offline Find More Posts by thinman
Old Apr 24, 2012, 01:43 PM
Go Fly Yourself...!!
United States, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Oct 2004
1,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinman View Post
I noticed that the esc and rx listed for the Icon A5 show that they are coated (BNF). If getting a PNP model and adding your on AR600 how would you go about coating it, or would it even be necessary for the rx?

Bob
Bob,

Look into Corrosion X: http://www.corrosionx.com/corrosionx.html
You can find a ton of people using it here on RCGroups. Everything from just a simple squirt to a full on drenching of components.

Hope this helps..
D-Man
xxD-Manxx is offline Find More Posts by xxD-Manxx
Old Apr 24, 2012, 05:43 PM
Let me Fly please :^)
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzed View Post
Here is a gaggle of Icon's flying off a small pond in Arizona. It was soooo much fun.

Enjoy the photos!

-Buzzed

P.S. My buddy Bryce slapped a Power 10 in his on 3S 2200. Takes off in 10 ft and goes vertical now. Yippeeeeeee!
Cool! I love those pictures
I was thinking also of the power 10 I have one in my Brio but for now I'm very happy on the Icon's performance and I still didn't fly since I installed the Flaps.
The darn weather here lately is really the pits
Paul-RC is offline Find More Posts by Paul-RC
Old Apr 24, 2012, 07:20 PM
3D Sunset Flier
PHX
Joined Jun 2008
4,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-RC View Post
Cool! I love those pictures
I was thinking also of the power 10 I have one in my Brio but for now I'm very happy on the Icon's performance and I still didn't fly since I installed the Flaps.
The darn weather here lately is really the pits
I will send some warm weather from the desert! It should arrive soon my friend.

Buzzed is offline Find More Posts by Buzzed
Old Apr 24, 2012, 07:23 PM
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,657 Posts
Quote:
I will send some warm weather from the desert! It should arrive soon my friend.

Thanks Buzzed
Well its not really cold but rain and really windy ....you know TV weather
Old Apr 24, 2012, 07:24 PM
3D Sunset Flier
PHX
Joined Jun 2008
4,169 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Buzzed
Well its not really cold but rain and really windy ....you know TV weather
Yep, know it well.

Old Apr 24, 2012, 07:29 PM
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,657 Posts
Quote:
Yep, know it well.

So at this very momment I'm applying this thin Lexan sticky back under the Icon and I also picked up my CC BEC so I just finished installing it too so my T-28 can have his CC 35amp and BEC back
Old Apr 24, 2012, 07:31 PM
3D Sunset Flier
PHX
Joined Jun 2008
4,169 Posts
Quote:
So at this very momment I'm applying this thin Lexan sticky back under the Icon and I also picked up my CC BEC so I just finished installing it too so my T-28 can have his CC 35amp and BEC back
Excellent! And we will need more float-flyin' photos when the weather clears.

Thanks,

-Buzzed

Old Apr 24, 2012, 07:32 PM
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,657 Posts
Quote:
Excellent! And we will need more float-flyin' photos when the weather clears.

Thanks,

-Buzzed

For shure
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:35 AM
United States, TX, Lindale
Joined Apr 2012
18 Posts
Mine had its first water trials today.

I flipped it on landing. It stayed upside down for ~2 hrs Until I got it back to shore. Using a tad bit of throttle.

I hate to say it but it seams both aileron's are toast, and the rudder is not even responding.
I'm going to let it dry out tonight and hope for the best in the morning.

But hey this might be a sign to add flaps, bigger motor, and a CC ESC!
DPkiller is offline Find More Posts by DPkiller
Old Apr 25, 2012, 06:19 AM
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPkiller View Post

I flipped it on landing. It stayed upside down for ~2 hrs Until I got it back to shore. Using a tad bit of throttle.

I hate to say it but it seams both aileron's are toast, and the rudder is not even responding.

Sorry to hear this.
A little trick I have been using for many years flying on water is first I cover the servo area as much as possible leaving only the servo arm out and then before flying I apply a bit of Petrolium jelly ( Vaseline ) on the open slot for all servos.
This repels water , you can even use it around the hatch , just wipe clean before going home. Happy flying
Old Apr 25, 2012, 08:18 AM
My middle name is Alton
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Joined Nov 2007
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPkiller View Post

Sorry that you had this happen, I know what it's like to have a plane get soaked and ruin electronics. Not fun.

Your servos might come back when the electronics are completely dry. A trick I use is to open up the servo case and put it in the air conditioning duct of the house for a day. After it is good and dry, give it a try (hey, that rhymes!)

Works for ESCs and receivers too.
AltonMan is offline Find More Posts by AltonMan
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:59 PM
United States, MN, New Hope
Joined Sep 2010
10 Posts
I am in love with my Icon. I actually took a spare canopy and engineered a mount for my GoPro Hero cam. Fantastic videos from it. When I'm flying it with the camera, I set the battery on the floor of the plane so it's next to the rudder servo. Push a piece of foam so the battery doesn't move and that keeps the CG in the same spot as flying it stock without the camera.
I did have one issue after a hard landing that had some water get on the inside. Didn't think much of it, but when I went to take it out again the rudder servo was acting intermitent. I removed the rudder servo and found water inside it.
I'd suggest before you ever get water in it to seal the edges of the rudder servo with some silicone caulk.
This is one awesome plane!!
FreiGuy is offline Find More Posts by FreiGuy
Old Apr 25, 2012, 02:34 PM
Go Fly Yourself...!!
United States, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Oct 2004
1,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreiGuy View Post
I am in love with my Icon. I actually took a spare canopy and engineered a mount for my GoPro Hero cam. Fantastic videos from it. When I'm flying it with the camera, I set the battery on the floor of the plane so it's next to the rudder servo. Push a piece of foam so the battery doesn't move and that keeps the CG in the same spot as flying it stock without the camera.
I did have one issue after a hard landing that had some water get on the inside. Didn't think much of it, but when I went to take it out again the rudder servo was acting intermitent. I removed the rudder servo and found water inside it.
I'd suggest before you ever get water in it to seal the edges of the rudder servo with some silicone caulk.
This is one awesome plane!!
FrieGuy,

I also had the same idea and just received my second canopy to build a removable camera platform. Care to share some pictures of what you came up with? And good tip about the rudder servo silicone!

Thanks,
D-Man
xxD-Manxx is offline Find More Posts by xxD-Manxx