HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 13, 2012, 05:51 PM
3D Sunset Flier
PHX
Joined Jun 2008
4,223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-RC View Post
Here is my small video from this morning.

I wish I had a friend with a good video camera to film good with a zoom too.
This is all I can do for now with my Contour GPS camera
http://youtu.be/z2vSq0nIpRE
Very nice vid and thanks for sharing.

What telemetry unit are you using for the overlay? That is really, really cool!

Buzzed is offline Find More Posts by Buzzed
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2012, 05:53 PM
Let me Fly please :^)
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,690 Posts
I use a software called Dashware, it reads the GPS datas from my Contour GPS camera.
I edit the video first with dashware to select and overlay the gauges and then I can do a final edit on my video software.
Paul-RC is offline Find More Posts by Paul-RC
Old Apr 13, 2012, 05:55 PM
3D Sunset Flier
PHX
Joined Jun 2008
4,223 Posts
Quote:
I use a software called Dashware, it reads the GPS datas from my Contour GPS camera.
I edit the video first with dashware to select and overlay the gauges and then I can do a final edit on my video software.
Thanks for the info!

Old Apr 13, 2012, 08:49 PM
Joined Aug 2010
94 Posts
Please let me know where to get that camera. I saw a pic of your mounting inside canopy, but I didn't think it would shoot so fine through the tint. Is it water proof? Any aditional details about instalation or weight will be of great to share with all on this site
Thanks,
Bigrap
bigrap is offline Find More Posts by bigrap
Old Apr 14, 2012, 01:39 AM
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrap View Post
Please let me know where to get that camera. I saw a pic of your mounting inside canopy, but I didn't think it would shoot so fine through the tint. Is it water proof? Any aditional details about instalation or weight will be of great to share with all on this site
Thanks,
Bigrap
Well its the Contour GPS camera I got from http://pointofviewcameras.com/contou...hd-camera.html

I got the tripod camera mount
http://pointofviewcameras.com/univer...contourhd.html
and made a small plate that slides under the Lipo .
I had to remove the floor of the canopy and just slide the Lipo back to adjust the CG and its perfect.
The camera is water proof as is from splashes but not if its submerge in water. Then you need the waterproof casing and thats more weight again.
http://pointofviewcameras.com/contou...roof-case.html
Old Apr 14, 2012, 01:47 AM
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,690 Posts
After a few flights off the water I did notice a few drops of water inside the fuselage and tracked it down form the air intake on top.
Since I was splashing water it was going in there and going down with the motor wires to the inside.
Not much but enough for me to worry about were it was coming from.
Now I made a small piece of black foam and I will place it in the air intake on the next flights to see the result.
From what I can see its not much of a air cooling intake for the motor anyway and the motor was not hot at all after 6 flights of about 7 to 8 min each.
I did seal around the windscreen as its not well seal at start.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 03:35 AM
United States, AK, Dillingham
Joined Mar 2012
58 Posts
I'll be a crash test dummy

So I've posted some pics of the weak points of the tail and I'm going to post some more pics of another weak point of the tail. I'm about ready to take donations to buy planes and test them for others to find the faults so I can post them to help other save some heartache haha.
So if you look at the bottom of the top of the T on the T-tail you'll see a black line going across the length of it. I seen as a solid strip of carbon fiber and I'm sure someone else has too. Guess what? It's not, tricking dogs. A black sharpie would have the same structual support as this.
As many problems as I've had with this plane I still love flying it, breaking it, glueing it and flying it somemore.
hdxtac is offline Find More Posts by hdxtac
Old Apr 14, 2012, 03:43 AM
Green Bay, Wis.
Joined May 2003
227 Posts
Maiden flight was great. I used the landing gear for these 2 flights. It was a little cool, 32 deg F when I got there but no wind.
Seems to have plenty of power, it climbed fast, it does rolls, loops and inverted flight with no problems. Also did a nice tailslide and some wingovers.
I like to have the plane do level flight at Ĺ throttle and I had to add some up elevator to do this.
Didnít take long and I had it trimmed the way I like to fly.
By using some up elevator at less than Ĺ throttle I was able to slow the plane considerably to allow some nice smooth touch and goes. Control was great for the landing approach.
Flew one flight with the stock 2200 25c battery and another with a 2200 20c that I had. The plane flew just fine with the 20c but I mostly stayed away from full throttle though I still did some aerobatics.
I didnít notice any tail wag though I didnít think of watching for it.

I have it trimmed and flying the way I like now. Will remove the landing gear. The next flights will be off the water. Looking forward to the water. Should be fun after flying my HZ SuperCub on floats.
JimL is offline Find More Posts by JimL
Old Apr 14, 2012, 05:09 AM
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdxtac View Post
So I've posted some pics of the weak points of the tail and I'm going to post some more pics of another weak point of the tail. I'm about ready to take donations to buy planes and test them for others to find the faults so I can post them to help other save some heartache haha.
So if you look at the bottom of the top of the T on the T-tail you'll see a black line going across the length of it. I seen as a solid strip of carbon fiber and I'm sure someone else has too. Guess what? It's not, tricking dogs. A black sharpie would have the same structual support as this.
As many problems as I've had with this plane I still love flying it, breaking it, glueing it and flying it somemore.
Doesn't matter how strong you make a part , in a foamy there are lots of weak spots, foamies are fomies
Still showing us those areas is sad but helpful
What kind of an impact did it take for this to happen?
Old Apr 14, 2012, 04:21 PM
3D Sunset Flier
PHX
Joined Jun 2008
4,223 Posts
Man, this interweb thing is amazing! All I had to do was Google "Tail wag" and up pops this;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_roll

Wings placed well above the center of mass may explain why our little Icon A5 wags a bit at slow speeds with the power at idle. I notice it on base to final. I guess we need to install a yaw damper now. Hehe

-Buzzed

P.S. The positive stability incorporated into the design is amazing. It seems to want to "right" itself when I relax the ailerons in a bank.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longitu...atic_stability

"If such a change causes further changes that tend to restore the vehicle to its original speed and orientation, without human or machine input, the vehicle is said to be statically stable. The aircraft has positive stability."
Old Apr 14, 2012, 06:46 PM
Addicted
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2011
1,184 Posts
Did my maiden and second flight Easter Sunday on asphalt. Did my third, fourth, fifth and sixth flights this afternoon off water. Four nice takeoffs, four nice flights, three nice landings.

I was coming in on final making sure to clear the dam and get it between the pine trees. Just as it passed me it clipped a willow bush, spun 360* and ended upsidedown.

Tail broke off in one clean break with one dent in the right wing, dent in the left sponson on the fuse, and a crack at the right wing root.

Damn. Nothing a little filler and glue can't fix, though.
Sixinarow is offline Find More Posts by Sixinarow
Old Apr 14, 2012, 07:40 PM
United States, AK, Dillingham
Joined Mar 2012
58 Posts
yeah thanks for the reminder. I was landing on snow and my plane hit a bump and spun around and ended up hitting with the edge of the tail. I really wish winter would end here so I can try some water based flights. haha
hdxtac is offline Find More Posts by hdxtac
Old Apr 15, 2012, 08:55 AM
Green Bay, Wis.
Joined May 2003
227 Posts
Quote:
Here is my small video from this morning.

I wish I had a friend with a good video camera to film good with a zoom too.
This is all I can do for now with my Contour GPS camera
http://youtu.be/z2vSq0nIpRE
Paul,
That is a neat video, nice landing approaches and touch and goes. It actually sounds like you are in boat with an outboard motor when the plane is travelling on the water.

I'll have my first water flights shortly.

Edit: Had nice weather this afternoon and got out on the river for 2 float flights. About 5 mph wind, it flew nice, quick row, did some loops, rolls, and wingovers. Got the hang of landing without bouncing and some nice touch and goes.
Tried a flight with an 1800 20c battery. If flew fine and was able to slowly glide in dead stick for a nice landing.
Getting about 13 minutes of flight time with a mix of aerobatics and easy flying and touch and goes and not taking the battery below 3.75 volts per cell.
Only mod I made was to cover the hull ahead of the step with packing tape.
It flys great but I still need up elevator trim to fly level at 1/2 throttle, I may try a shim to raise the back of the horizontal stabilizer a little bit.
JimL is offline Find More Posts by JimL
Last edited by JimL; Apr 15, 2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 10:00 PM
Addicted
Joined Dec 2011
1,184 Posts
Mine is fixed! Thanks to some thick CA, kicker, carbon strips and tape. I'm going to Z-Poxy the hull ASAP.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 10:36 PM
Addicted
Joined Dec 2011
1,184 Posts
So now that my wings are all dinged up from smacking a willow bush on landing should I put some flaps in?

Two 5-gram servos, a y-harness, two extensions, two control horns, two pushrods, some hinge tape... nothing to it!

Hmm, how big?