HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 03, 2011, 10:18 AM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B View Post
Another incorrect statement... I know for a fact that most of the PZ models do not require a licensing fee. Do you really think they are collecting one on the PZ Stinson, T-28, Me 109, Aeronca, Spitfire, etc? If licensed, the statement typically appears on the product, somewhere.
Perhaps on a few of the high profile names, but not most.

Getting back to your math, I firmly believe thee are different ways to figure things. I for one am perfectly willing to spend more on a product that is conceived, designed, marketed, supported and sold here in the USA. That supports a decent number of US jobs, even if the assembly is shipped to the far east.

I do buy some fraction of my models directly from overseas sources and US resellers but I never apply a universal cost measurement across different
economies. Always willing to pay a little more for a product that supports some US jobs.

The PZ Icon will sell well.
Do you have any boxes from your planes to see if there is a license or not? Somebody some where holds the rights to the names of all the planes you mentioned. I would bet that PZ went to the lengths of obtaining that license. If they just assume that its ok to market that product, the person holding the license can take legal action. Not something PZ is willing to let happen to them because they assume no one holds a the rights to it.

As for spending habits, doesn't really matter that it is conceived, designed and promoted here in the US. That is but a small fraction to what is spent on production. Sure your doing some good but its a drop in the bucket compared to what bringing back American production jobs will do.

Why not apply cost measures across economies. One economy direct effect the other. If we stop spending money here on their products, they raise prices to meet their financial needs. Different economies but directly related.

And yes the A5 will sell well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfingers View Post
Can't imagine anyone is surprised, based on his ranting post above about bringing manufacturing back to the US. A noble sentiment but even if the manufacturing facility and utilities were rent free, the CEO and management volunteered their time, just paying the staff minimum wage would increase the cost of the product fivefold, very likely more.

Thousand dollar Icons anyone?
Ever broken a bone? Hurts like hell for a while right? Then as it heals, over time it, gets better, stronger. Bone heals back twice as strong as it was before it was broke. Our economy is like a broken bone. Sending our jobs out of the country was like that stupid thing we did that we thought was the good idea but is now the cause of our broken bone. Our economy is that broken bone and its going to continue to hurt until we treat the problem. America has to start producing again regardless of the cost. It has to hurt if its to heal and right now we are that little kid pissing and moaning about nobody touching his broken leg. Someone needs to hold us down for our own good and force us to take that big step into recovery and it begins with ending all support of American production outside of our own country.

What do you think is better, 100 unemployed people not spending money or 100 employed people spending money. Kind of a no brainer. The fact of the matter is, even if cost go up, as long as we are stimulating our own economy, it will balance out. If costs go up with out stimulating our economy, money gets tight, cost go up to compensate and businesses die a slow cancerous style of death, much like they are now.

If you really believe what you wrote, you too are part of the problem.

Orion
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2011, 12:08 PM
Orlando, Fl
Joined Jan 2008
1,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJayBee View Post
I assume by all categories that includes the Amphibious section ?

Otherwise I've no idea why you can't see it
It is not in the amphibious section. Must have something to do with permissions on my computer. Looks like it installs though; no errors or warnings. I check it out again tonight. Thanks.
jhroof is online now Find More Posts by jhroof
Old Aug 03, 2011, 12:40 PM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
2,018 Posts
Nice job on this A5 Horizon! Agree that the price is a little more than I would like, but I think if I can be patient for a little while after it's released then the price should go down a bit and/or I could find some coupons or something.

I like the scale touches in the paint job, stock 3-blade prop, and the scale canopy/interior; something neither of the the NFD versions have.
Firehawk989 is offline Find More Posts by Firehawk989
Old Aug 07, 2011, 12:34 AM
Joined Dec 2007
410 Posts
Look forward to getting one!
greggk is offline Find More Posts by greggk
Old Aug 07, 2011, 08:29 AM
I'd rather be flying
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2009
1,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggk View Post
Look forward to getting one!
Same here. It looks like a real winner!
baddb1 is online now Find More Posts by baddb1
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 07, 2011, 11:03 AM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
895 Posts
The longer I look at this model, the more I want one. There are only one or two places around here to fly off of water, but my vacation spot is a big lake, with plenty of room and places to fly. I'm also thinking that this may be a blast in the snow, if anything like the last few years the ground will be covered for a couple months at least. My biggest concern is with the seemingly unprotected foam hull, and water intrusion depending on how well it is sealed. I'm not that worried about either issue, should be easy enough to seal up with some weatherstripping and tape. For the hull, might be able to spray a few thick coats of something on it, or heat and mold some platic to it. Every EPO model that spends time bellylanding, or even models with wheels, and low ground clearance get torn up pretty well in the dry summer grass around here, but even a few strips of packing tape over it will keep it nice for months, if not years.
alucard0822 is offline Find More Posts by alucard0822
Old Aug 08, 2011, 07:34 AM
Charleston, SC
Joined Jul 2006
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackJones View Post
Dave,

4 - Any thoughts on swapping the stock motor for a Power 10? I'm thinking the extra weight of the Power 10 may help offset some camera weight up front.
Yeah, like the Power10 from my WildCatFish, which will probably never fly again!
Raehm is offline Find More Posts by Raehm
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: GWS Me-262 Build
Old Aug 10, 2011, 06:07 PM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
2,018 Posts
Oh, and Horizon, if you're listening:

UMX version of this please!!!

*Edit* Post #666: Is that a sign that I would sell my soul to the devil for the above? Guess we'll just have to find out!
Firehawk989 is offline Find More Posts by Firehawk989
Last edited by Firehawk989; Aug 10, 2011 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Considered selling my soul to satan.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 02:08 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhroof View Post
It is not in the amphibious section. Must have something to do with permissions on my computer. Looks like it installs though; no errors or warnings. I check it out again tonight. Thanks.
I'm having the same problem. I installed it and can't find it at all! Did you ever figure this out?
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Aug 11, 2011, 02:09 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehawk989 View Post
Oh, and Horizon, if you're listening:

UMX version of this please!!!

*Edit* Post #666: Is that a sign that I would sell my soul to the devil for the above? Guess we'll just have to find out!
On man... now that would be sweet!!
Old Aug 17, 2011, 11:20 AM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Aug 2011
731 Posts
PROBLEM: Icon A5 Phoenix Flight Sim installation failures

I had the same problem trying to download the Icon and other new aircraft. Some did not show up on my sim as installed, but the Phoenix update said they were, while others did show up as installed on my sim, but the Phoenix update said they were not. URGGHH!

I called Horizon's tech support and the rep said they had the problem with one of their computers. I asked if there was a fix or if I needed to uninstall the sim, re-install it, and then get the new updates. He advised me to do that...and it worked.

But NOTE: I successfully reinstalled the 2.5 version from the CD. However, when it then tried to download the 3.0 update, that failed...the sim program shut down! I had to go to the Phoenix website and download the 3.0s update from there. Easy to do, but you'll need high speed internet since it's a VERY large download! Then I could go to the sim's automatic update and get the Icon A5 and other aircraft I wanted.

Hope this helps.
And hope it doesn't happen the next time new aircraft come out that I want!
shepflyr is offline Find More Posts by shepflyr
Old Aug 17, 2011, 11:53 AM
United States, MI, Royal Oak
Joined Nov 2005
1,361 Posts
Turnerm, what does UMX stand for?
JGuilty13 is online now Find More Posts by JGuilty13
Old Aug 17, 2011, 12:09 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGuilty13 View Post
Turnerm, what does UMX stand for?
Ultra Micro Extreme. Currently there are three UMX planes out -The Beast, The Sbach and the Extra 300.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 04:35 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhroof View Post
I've downloaded it several times and installed it, but it doesn't show up in the model menu. I've looked through all the categories and still can't find it. Anyone else having this problem?
Hey Jason

Did you go underwater to view the model?

No seriously, I am subscribing to this thread and can't wait to get one myself!

I almost pulled the trigger on the larger Catalina by Dynam over at NitroPlanes and I am considering this one instead because of the Park Zone's reputation and parts availability.

Thanks HH!
Carlos
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 20, 2011, 11:03 PM
Orlando, Fl
Joined Jan 2008
1,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial View Post
Hey Jason

Did you go underwater to view the model?

No seriously, I am subscribing to this thread and can't wait to get one myself!

I almost pulled the trigger on the larger Catalina by Dynam over at NitroPlanes and I am considering this one instead because of the Park Zone's reputation and parts availability.

Thanks HH!
Carlos
Yeah...I'll probably get one. I have a lake near my house and this would be perfect. I want to set up some kind of retrieval boat too, just in case.
jhroof is online now Find More Posts by jhroof