SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:35 PM
Fly Freely, Fly Responsibly
Fort Worth, TX
Joined Jan 2010
727 Posts
Great pics, guys!

That's a great job you did on detailing your A5, Paul.

How long did it take ya?

And is the aileron washout you have config'd effective?

I've been reading about folks having to use a fair amount of up-trim (stock config). I see that yours is flush...

I have mine 1/32-1/16 high right now, at neutral. At least till I see how it flies on the maiden (maybe this weekend next). Then, I'll probably do what Jim suggested and shim the horizontal stab.
WhirlyBits is offline Find More Posts by WhirlyBits
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:29 PM
Let me Fly please :^)
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhirlyBits View Post
Great pics, guys!

That's a great job you did on detailing your A5, Paul.

How long did it take ya?

And is the aileron washout you have config'd effective?

I've been reading about folks having to use a fair amount of up-trim (stock config). I see that yours is flush...

I have mine 1/32-1/16 high right now, at neutral. At least till I see how it flies on the maiden (maybe this weekend next). Then, I'll probably do what Jim suggested and shim the horizontal stab.
Yes on mine elevator is neutral and the 2200 3s1p Lipo is place at the max foward. but I did cut out the complete floor of the canopy so its a lot less weight.
That was for my camera but its much nicer without that extra weight.
I added flaps and at full flaps I dont have the tail wag.
But on the video you see some tail wag and that was happening witout the canopy on but it wasn't much.
I didn't touch anything for the ailerons or the wing tips I just added some STOL fins as you can see on the pictures.
I also added a small U shape aluminium piece to strenghten the tail area.
Paul-RC is offline Find More Posts by Paul-RC
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:25 PM
Fort Worth, TX
Joined Jan 2010
727 Posts
Yup....I saw the wing fences (more like vortex generators, in your case).
The design of the wing seems to call for it, with that shape.
Since many turbines use them, they're probably pretty effective without the corkscrew (nose) prop-wash doing odd things.

I considered the cockpit reduction, but I like the styling as is!

I think I'll put about 30-50 flights on it before I make any changes at all, and I hope they won't be airframe restorative...

I don't crash very often (knock on foam), but I've been known to "scuff" something every 5-10 sorties or so. This'll be my 3rd year in R/C and I've only destroyed 2 planes (all at once, or progressively over 3-4 flights ).
My first T-28 after 15-20 flights, and my first Mini Ultrastick (with a Power 10) that I lost in the sun - and kept ham-fisting tight loops for some inexplicable reason, instead of relaxing the sticks until I re-acquired it - too fast earthward to recover. Heh heh.

I'm expecting great things from this beauty, and I've got a feeling it'll be my "go to" frame - it naturally, and by design, does all the types of flying I like to do!

Now, for that weekend to get it aloft....
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:50 PM
above us only sky
United States, SC, Greenville
Joined Jan 2006
822 Posts
Originally posted 12-5-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattfly View Post
Hey all,

Just want to let you know the coated ESC is discontinued, but we are making a new version that has an upgraded BEC. It is just not here yet and the original ESC for the ICON just had the discontinued flag flipped a little to quick.

Do not worry about the ESC being discontinued, but will be a small wait until the new ones come in....
Renfield is offline Find More Posts by Renfield
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:43 PM
Germany
Joined May 2009
744 Posts
my icon A5... i fly it every week if the weather allows it

Parkzone Icon A5 - My best Flight (9 min 27 sec)
GaryX1001 is offline Find More Posts by GaryX1001
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:46 PM
Fort Worth, TX
Joined Jan 2010
727 Posts
Finally got mine up and put about 5-6 packs thru it at the club field, so that I had enough space to not be distracted by any flying space obstacles or limitations.
Other than other "traffic"...

It's "different."
Oh, and that "tail wag" seems more "extreme" in-person, than in the videos, but it's little more than 'entertaining' to me.

Plenty of power. Floats quite a bit on landing. Good lift in any regime of flight.
I'd say my T-28 is "easier" to fly, but this is my first "pusher" so that probably accounts for it.

I've been reading about this "tip stall" tendency, but at 3 mistakes high or so for any conceivable event, every stall I did was pretty benign. Next time out, I'll really explore the "corners" of the envelope more. I had a 6-9kt. crosswind all day, so I couldn't get an accurate picture of all that it does. Nice flyer, though!

Weird thing is, that my left aileron goes down (and only down) 1/3 less than the right one.The horn is at the same position, centered in the wing, as the right one is. It's possible that it's in a different position on the servo shaft than the other one, but the the travel is the same as the right one is, in the up direction. So I doubt that's the deal. Strange. It doesn't noticeably affect flight though, as currently configured, and I've got my Tx set for 75% / 30 expo on low rates, and 80% / 30 expo on high rates, with all the hardware in the holes recommended in the manual (for now).

I don't think I'll put the gyro in (when it comes) until I've got it completely mechanically dialled-in and fine tuned.

Overall, it's a nice flyer!
Last edited by WhirlyBits; Feb 16, 2013 at 10:58 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:13 AM
above us only sky
Joined Jan 2006
822 Posts
Quote:
Finally got mine up and put about 5-6 packs thru it at the club field, so that I had enough space to not be distracted by any flying space obstacles or limitations.
Other than other "traffic"...

It's "different."
Oh, and that "tail wag" seems more "extreme" in-person, than in the videos, but it's little more than 'entertaining' to me.

Plenty of power. Floats quite a bit on landing. Good lift in any regime of flight.
I'd say my T-28 is "easier" to fly, but this is my first "pusher" so that probably accounts for it.

I've been reading about this "tip stall" tendency, but at 3 mistakes high or so for any conceivable event, every stall I did was pretty benign. Next time out, I'll really explore the "corners" of the envelope more. I had a 6-9kt. crosswind all day, so I couldn't get an accurate picture of all that it does. Nice flyer, though!

Weird thing is, that my left aileron goes down (and only down) 1/3 less than the right one.The horn is at the same position, centered in the wing, as the right one is. It's possible that it's in a different position on the servo shaft than the other one, but the the travel is the same as the right one is, in the up direction. So I doubt that's the deal. Strange. It doesn't noticeably affect flight though, as currently configured, and I've got my Tx set for 75% / 30 expo on low rates, and 80% / 30 expo on high rates, with all the hardware in the holes recommended in the manual (for now).

I don't think I'll put the gyro in (when it comes) until I've got it completely mechanically dialled-in and fine tuned.

Overall, it's a nice flyer!
Congrats on the maiden! Weird indeed about the aileron servo. I'm sure you'll sort it out.

I'm also sure that the stalls are manageable at altitude, but they're a real beeotch in a low downwind turn. Better pilots won't complain of this tendency in the Icon. Just overconfident noobs like me. It definitely doesn't hover like my Trex. Gotta drive it like a sports car.

Just nice?!? Hmmm. Try it on water, flying wingman with a fast boat.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:55 PM
Fort Worth, TX
Joined Jan 2010
727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renfield View Post
Congrats on the maiden! Weird indeed about the aileron servo. I'm sure you'll sort it out.

I'm also sure that the stalls are manageable at altitude, but they're a real beeotch in a low downwind turn. Better pilots won't complain of this tendency in the Icon. Just overconfident noobs like me. It definitely doesn't hover like my Trex. Gotta drive it like a sports car.

Just nice?!? Hmmm. Try it on water, flying wingman with a fast boat.
I readjusted the ailerons so that they're just a smidge low (almost unmeasurable) and spent a great deal of time with the nose steering linkage to get it perfect, rather than very close. Left aileron servo is still "what it is" but I'll have to wait for a very low/no wind day to reassess. Winds last Thurs. and then Sun. and today were a howling gale, in "foamy land" (23kts.+ with gusts to 35 or so... ). Yes, knots - not mph!

If I drove it like I do my 2013 Mustang GT 5.0, there'd be pieces missing - from the motor/ESC/prop!

That's gotta' be a hoot to "wing" your boat!
Have you hover-landed it in the boat yet?

HK and Hobbypartz gyros both come in tomorrow (figures - same day, and on a workday. I was off today). HK is the ORX3 V2 and the Hobbypartz one is the one that no one seems to have used - or at least not reviewed publicly - yet.

No sorties til the weekend...
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:19 AM
above us only sky
Joined Jan 2006
822 Posts
Quote:
I readjusted the ailerons so that they're just a smidge low (almost unmeasurable) and spent a great deal of time with the nose steering linkage to get it perfect, rather than very close. Left aileron servo is still "what it is" but I'll have to wait for a very low/no wind day to reassess. Winds last Thurs. and then Sun. and today were a howling gale, in "foamy land" (23kts.+ with gusts to 35 or so... ). Yes, knots - not mph!

If I drove it like I do my 2013 Mustang GT 5.0, there'd be pieces missing - from the motor/ESC/prop!

That's gotta' be a hoot to "wing" your boat!
Have you hover-landed it in the boat yet?

HK and Hobbypartz gyros both come in tomorrow (figures - same day, and on a workday. I was off today). HK is the ORX3 V2 and the Hobbypartz one is the one that no one seems to have used - or at least not reviewed publicly - yet.

No sorties til the weekend...
My "dry" servo (right wing) in PZ Icon #2 developed parkinsons disease a couple weeks ago. Even the high end chinese stuff doesn't last. Spazzed out so much it took full left aileron to correct. So it was trying to fly in a constant right bank, or straight with full spoilers. Fun stuff.

The boat isn't suitable for a hover landing. Too small. But the wing thing is a total blast. Just being able to fly straight without constantly planning your next turn is very freeing. I need a faster boat to keep up with the PZ Icon. The HK should be perfect.

I work in retail, so my days off are M-W. I hadn't flown for two weeks, so I pressed my luck with too much wind yesterday. Very short, very bouncy flight. It was all I could do to land, but the taxi back to shore fell apart. Left wing went in deep and right came over the top. Had to break out the paddle boat. Today is rain and double digit winds. Sigh. Maybe tomorrow.

So today is sharpie and tweak day for the new little Icon. Which, BTW, is assembled with Gorilla Glue thanks in part to your recommendations. Fun stuff.

Here's what you don't want to see on a Monday morning. Or Saturday for that matter.
Last edited by Renfield; Oct 19, 2013 at 09:30 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:29 PM
airplanes r made from aluminum
United States, SC, Darlington
Joined Jul 2009
652 Posts
Quote:
My "dry" servo (right wing) in PZ Icon #2 developed parkinsons disease a couple weeks ago. Even the high end chinese stuff doesn't last. Spazzed out so much it took full left aileron to correct. So it was trying to fly in a constant right bank, or straight with full spoilers. Fun stuff.

The boat isn't suitable for a hover landing. Too small. But the wing thing is a total blast. Just being able to fly straight without constantly planning your next turn is very freeing. I need a faster boat to keep up with the PZ Icon. The HK should be perfect.

I work in retail, so my days off are M-W. I hadn't flown for two weeks, so I pressed my luck with too much wind yesterday. Very short, very bouncy flight. It was all I could do to land, but the taxi back to shore fell apart. Left wing went in deep and right came over the top. Had to break out the paddle boat. Today is rain and double digit winds. Sigh. Maybe tomorrow.

So today is sharpie and tweak day for the new little Icon. Which, BTW, is assembled with Gorilla Glue thanks in part to your recommendations. Fun stuff.

Here's what you don't want to see on a Monday morning. Or Saturday for that matter.
ahhhhh, i feel your pain, i was hoping for enough snow Saturday to fly mine off of..no such luck...doubt we'll see another snow in SC this year. Today was awful as well.
wilem is offline Find More Posts by wilem
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:28 PM
Roanoke, VA
Joined Sep 2008
928 Posts
Quote:

If its any consolidation... You are not the first to do it and you certainly won't be the last.
sparkie624 is offline Find More Posts by sparkie624
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:14 AM
above us only sky
Joined Jan 2006
822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilem View Post
ahhhhh, i feel your pain, i was hoping for enough snow Saturday to fly mine off of..no such luck...doubt we'll see another snow in SC this year. Today was awful as well.
Yea, a snow flight looks fun. Not sure we've ever gotten enough here to feel safe from what lies beneath. I worked that day and missed the whole show.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:26 PM
Fort Worth, TX
Joined Jan 2010
727 Posts
Woo hoo!

Gyro's mounted and working correctly - mapped to the gear switch to turn it on and off.

Winds are forecast for 5 or so on Saturday. Good day for shakedown.

If all goes well (and it will), thereafter I'll be flying a 30+ "gale" while others pack it in!

When I start my "water" trials, I don't think I'll be using it on takeoffs and landings - too easy for a windward wingtip to lift "automatically" at the wrong time.

I'll put the other gyro in my "ground-loop happy" Stinson, tomorrow maybe...

Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:06 AM
Joined Dec 2012
42 Posts
Hey guys! Im enjoying my A5, however ive had a few issues. After going thru this thread it seems like im not alone. First off let me say NO i didnt put my prop on backwards! However mine had the missing tail glue, and flipped over flying from snow and it broke, ive reinforced it (maybe over done it) with two 3mm CF rods laid into the foam on a 45 degree angle on each side. I fly mine with a turnigy 2200mah 25c 3s. pack. Flies great with plenty of power, and balances great at 50mm. My only huge concern is that its VERY "tip-stally" (sp??) Which is VERY annoying and has almost caused a crash or two. Has there been anything done about this??
Eeeeky20 is offline Find More Posts by Eeeeky20
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:43 AM
above us only sky
Joined Jan 2006
822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeeky20 View Post
Hey guys! Im enjoying my A5, however ive had a few issues. After going thru this thread it seems like im not alone. First off let me say NO i didnt put my prop on backwards! However mine had the missing tail glue, and flipped over flying from snow and it broke, ive reinforced it (maybe over done it) with two 3mm CF rods laid into the foam on a 45 degree angle on each side. I fly mine with a turnigy 2200mah 25c 3s. pack. Flies great with plenty of power, and balances great at 50mm. My only huge concern is that its VERY "tip-stally" (sp??) Which is VERY annoying and has almost caused a crash or two. Has there been anything done about this??
Reinforcing the tail is a common mod for the Icon.

Tip stall has been thoroughly speculated about in this thread. There are many theories and the only fix I've found is experience. . Though I took the advice of Thomas B and removed the mold line on my wings LE. Haven't noticed any difference, but I did no before/after measurements of any kind except seat of my pants.

My guess would be your CG. The book calls for 30-35mm from LE. At 50mm you're well outside their recommendation. One of the horizon reps specifically wrote that this model flies better on the nose heavy side.

Congrats and welcome to the Icon.