Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:48 PM
above us only sky
United States, SC, Greenville
Joined Jan 2006
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhirlyBits View Post
What did you use for a correction?

I'll probably use my "modern foamy modeler's secret weapon" - gorilla glue!
Just run a small bead in there and cover with tape to keep it from expanding/keep the surface flush.
I've read good things about the gorilla glue. I was tempted to go with CA and get in another flight that evening. But I took the high road and did a sweet epoxy fix with a proper cure time. You have to be looking for it to see anything.

I'm so glad it didn't break free altogether. That's much harder to get right.

Just one side, almost entirely where the factory saved $.30 on glue.
Renfield is online now Find More Posts by Renfield
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:35 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,666 Posts
How's the stock power on this? Enough to pull the gopro and fpv gear?
Wingbreaker is offline Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:21 PM
Fly Freely, Fly Responsibly
Fort Worth, TX
Joined Jan 2010
727 Posts
GG is pretty amazing stuff. The plane I have flipped over on it's back, is the PZ T-28. About a year and a half ago, I snicked off the vertical stab right at that bend 3-4" back from where is leaves the fuselage. I GG'd the whole thing back on using semi-sticky tape to keep it from expanding/ballooning. It's painted blue in that area, and you can't even tell it was GG'd, except for slight sheen in the matte finish - just at the break line - and you have to get real close to tell. It doesn't become brittle either, unlike epoxy. Just stronger.

GG is truly amazing stuff. Lighter than epoxy too. They both have their uses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renfield View Post
I've read good things about the gorilla glue. I was tempted to go with CA and get in another flight that evening. But I took the high road and did a sweet epoxy fix with a proper cure time. You have to be looking for it to see anything.

I'm so glad it didn't break free altogether. That's much harder to get right.

Just one side, almost entirely where the factory saved $.30 on glue.
WhirlyBits is offline Find More Posts by WhirlyBits
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:09 PM
above us only sky
Joined Jan 2006
828 Posts
First tail fix on the former Hangar Queen

I've put four packs through the PZ today so far, and the tail fix is good! It did nothing for the dutch roll, but I never expected that to change.
Last edited by Renfield; Oct 19, 2013 at 09:30 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:04 PM
Fort Worth, TX
Joined Jan 2010
727 Posts
Nice job!

That's about how my PZ T-28 tail repair came out (about the same location, also). It might have 'discolored' a bit, but mine is the USAF version (gray/blue) so it was not noticeable.

Question: My PZ Icon is due here on Wednesday. What about that gray paint on the underside. I've heard it comes off real easily with your hands (not from scraping). Can/should anything be done about that? Still an issue?
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:22 PM
airplanes r made from aluminum
United States, SC, Darlington
Joined Jul 2009
652 Posts
Quote:
Nice job!

That's about how my PZ T-28 tail repair came out (about the same location, also). It might have 'discolored' a bit, but mine is the USAF version (gray/blue) so it was not noticeable.

Question: My PZ Icon is due here on Wednesday. What about that gray paint on the underside. I've heard it comes off real easily with your hands (not from scraping). Can/should anything be done about that? Still an issue?
mine has not
wilem is offline Find More Posts by wilem
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:12 AM
above us only sky
Joined Jan 2006
828 Posts
Quote:
Nice job!

The gray is fine. Silver, not so much.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:24 PM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
2,018 Posts
Quote:
Woo hooooo!

Not only has my PZ A5 shipped earlier today, but I just ordered an HK ORX3 V2 3-axis gyro!

Let's see those previously nasty 20-plus mph and added gusts winds! Bring it!

How do ya' like me now, son-a-ma-beeeesh????
Enjoy your new A5!

I have the ORX v2 on my HK small Icon and love it! However, they have some minor quirks. If you have to reverse the servo direction on the ORX, MAKE SURE that you also re-check the reversing settings in the tx after EVERY CHANGE! A reversal on the ORX will fix the gyro acting direction, but it will also reverse your control inputs, resulting in the need to reverse everything again in the tx. Fortunately for me, I got it all sorted before I went flying, and I had no death spirals or anything on the maiden. Also, do take the plastic case off before you install the ORX and check the soldering on all the input/output pins. One of my pins had no solder, which obviously prevented the unit from working. Applied solder in the correct place, and it's been working perfectly ever since!
Firehawk989 is offline Find More Posts by Firehawk989
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:35 PM
Fort Worth, TX
Joined Jan 2010
727 Posts
Thanks, Hawk!

Yeah, I read the whole ORX3 "thread" where you and others refer to that. I'll be reading and re-reading it a few times during install and before I flip the "on" switch!

This is the first time I've ordered from HK. Ordered on Friday, specified "US Parcel" (or whatever) mail - including 10 10CM male-to-male servo cables - and just got an email that "it's about to be shipped" and "allow 48 hours for tracking info." Since I paid ~$16 for shipping, that ought to put it here around the end of the month...

Ah, well...I'm sure a few flights without it won't hurt. I'll skip the high-winds test, until it arrives...
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:51 PM
Fort Worth, TX
Joined Jan 2010
727 Posts
Bummer.

Putting together my brand new PZ Icon A5.

Got the LG on and horizontal stab screwed on.

Left the wings off, for the moment. Plugged a LiPo in, got 3 beeps, no lights flashing in the Rx. Hmmm. Rechecked bind plug. Turned on my Tx on an empty slot in my Dx6i to try to bind anyway. No go, of course. Tried connecting the aileron leads also, for giggles. Nope.

Disconnected ESC lead to the included AR600 (BNF version), and mostly disassembled my PZ Stinson SR-10 to get the AR500 out of it to try.
3 beeps on battery power with the Icon ESC connected to it - no flashing.

I'm stumped. Bad ESC? Bad motor? It's not the AR600 Rx that came with it.

Can ya help me out, fellas?

What a bummer...at least I ordered it direct!
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:06 PM
Fort Worth, TX
Joined Jan 2010
727 Posts
Disregard last transmission. It was a "bad" bind lead, of all things!

It binded fine. Back in 'bidness' and building resumes....
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:58 AM
above us only sky
Joined Jan 2006
828 Posts
What's the word, whirlybird? Here's a little inspirational action shot to get you motivated.
Last edited by Renfield; Oct 19, 2013 at 09:30 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:43 PM
Fort Worth, TX
Joined Jan 2010
727 Posts
Niiiiice!

Yep...she's all built and calibrated. The right aileron is just a little off...I have it set 1/4 trailing-edge height high on the outboard, and 1/2 trailing-edge height low on the inboard side - starboard aileron. No biggie...my T-28 came a little like that and only needed one click, max, on the Tx. Power run-up is impressive!

Unfortunately, winds are forecast for 14-18 tomorrow. Not really "maidening" weather.

When my ORX V2 comes in, though.... But I won't wait for it if a calm (2-7) day shows up.

Happy flights! I'll letcha' know when it's been skyward...
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:03 AM
Serial crasher
Switzerland (French-speaking part)
Joined Aug 2009
53 Posts
A few pictures of mine:

And a short video on snow:

Parkzone Icon A5 on snow (1 min 8 sec)

Nice little plane.
Gator23 is offline Find More Posts by Gator23
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:22 PM
Let me Fly please :^)
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,531 Posts
Here is mine from flying this morning.
This is the second time on snow for it and lots of fun too

Here is a small video from this morning
Icon A5 -Winter-flight (3 min 11 sec)
Paul-RC is offline Find More Posts by Paul-RC
Last edited by Paul-RC; Feb 10, 2013 at 07:01 PM.