HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:07 AM
Let me Fly please :^)
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renfield View Post
+1 for Horizon/Park. Love my Stinson, Albatross, SuperCub, Carbon Cub, and of course BOTH my PZ Icons. I do like the scale characteristics of the HK Icon wing, with it's pre-cut flaps. Perhaps PZ will recast the wing mold at some point?

Thomas B has the two extremes, HK small Icon and KMP Large one. He's maidened the PZ for a friend and had several flights. Though he speaks well of the medium sized PZ, he prefers the big one.

Unfortunately, right now the big 71" truly amphibious Icon A5 is made of pure 100% unobtainium. I pre-purchased the electronics for it, based upon a lie by my LHS. ("KMP has stock, it will definitely be here before Christmas!") NOT!!!

Just finished reading this entire thread for the first time. Too windy to fly. Now I'm almost embarrassed for having asked questions already answered. I would, however, be extremely embarrassed if I had asked which way to mount the prop. LOL.
Never be embarrassed to ask a question
Numbers facing the front of the Icon
Paul-RC is offline Find More Posts by Paul-RC
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:24 AM
above us only sky
United States, SC, Greenville
Joined Jan 2006
822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-RC View Post
Never be embarrassed to ask a question
Numbers facing the front of the Icon
Hey Paul! Your flying is truly brilliant. I don't have the stones to fly in such high winds. Love the flaps too.

One day I got caught going down stream toward the "big" water, flying Icon wingman with Karen driving the boat. At first it was great - not too fast, but allowed the boat some catch up. Wind speeds just kept escalating, and I had no choice but to fly it out. Somehow I landed it okay in all the chop. It left a scar on my psyche. But it's a cool video.

Today it's only blowing about 12-15 mph, but it's enough to keep me grounded.

Cheers!
George
Renfield is offline Find More Posts by Renfield
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:30 AM
Let me Fly please :^)
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,460 Posts
Quote:
Hey Paul! Your flying is truly brilliant. I don't have the stones to fly in such high winds. Love the flaps too.

One day I got caught going down stream toward the "big" water, flying Icon wingman with Karen driving the boat. At first it was great - not too fast, but allowed the boat some catch up. Wind speeds just kept escalating, and I had no choice but to fly it out. Somehow I landed it okay in all the chop. It left a scar on my psyche. But it's a cool video.

Today it's only blowing about 12-15 mph, but it's enough to keep me grounded.

Cheers!
George
Thanks George

Well I find the Icon can take a good wind but on the water your really got to watch the tail wind.
A real fun plane I must say
Paul-RC is offline Find More Posts by Paul-RC
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:01 PM
Fly Freely, Fly Responsibly
Fort Worth, TX
Joined Jan 2010
727 Posts
I hear the crosswinds can be a little troubling with the PZ Icon. Especially on water (flippage).

When I get mine (probably order it this weekend) I think I'll wring every last bit of "knowledge" out of it that I can - initially on land. Once I can set it down within 3-5" of anyplace I intend - regardless of winds chosen to fly it in - I'll know I'm "there." It'll be my 'go to' plane.

I LOVE my T-28, but am thinking about selling my Stinson. I get tired of taking a tape measure in my kit to level the wing/ground distance evenly while straightening out the aluminum-within-the-plastic mains to keep if from ground-looping on take off, from a "less than ideal" bouncy landing.

When I can fly it on land like Paul does on water, I'm getting close.

I just remembered, I see Thomas every so often at my club field. I've got the (unmaidened) GP F-86 because he brought it, and the UM Spit (with the ASX3 or whatever) to the field. I was impressed by them. And he's an impressive pilot. And that German F-185, or whatever, "jet" that he has - that looks like it should be an EDF, but really has an EDF motor in front with a little 3" prop that you can't see, is impressive! I think it goes around 75mph+! Impressive for a fat little foamy! He's always "well-equipped" in the planes he brings!

Back on topic - I know 90% of you guys don't fly the PZ Icon on land. But from experiences that you have had, how stout is the gear? Any issues?
WhirlyBits is offline Find More Posts by WhirlyBits
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:25 PM
Work....fly, repeat...
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Joined Jul 2008
1,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhirlyBits View Post
I hear the crosswinds can be a little troubling with the PZ Icon. Especially on water ....
I flipped mine when a sudden gust came up. Sent the Polaris out after it.
Lived to fly another day.
AeroRecon is offline Find More Posts by AeroRecon
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:02 AM
above us only sky
Joined Jan 2006
822 Posts
Here's a quick shout out to Park Zone for the roomy, DRY radio room. I keep expecting to see moisture. But I've put a lot of packs through this one since August, and it's not even humid inside. Plus there's room to access everything. Brilliant!

Compare this with the wicked cramped battery bay in the Hobby Zone Super Cub. The stock battery doesn't even fit. Woof.

Advantage: Icon. Nice design, nicely executed. Thanks, PZ!
Last edited by Renfield; Oct 19, 2013 at 09:30 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:20 AM
above us only sky
Joined Jan 2006
822 Posts
Quote:
I hear the crosswinds can be a little troubling with the PZ Icon. Especially on water (flippage).

When I get mine (probably order it this weekend) I think I'll wring every last bit of "knowledge" out of it that I can - initially on land. Once I can set it down within 3-5" of anyplace I intend - regardless of winds chosen to fly it in - I'll know I'm "there." It'll be my 'go to' plane.

I LOVE my T-28, but am thinking about selling my Stinson. I get tired of taking a tape measure in my kit to level the wing/ground distance evenly while straightening out the aluminum-within-the-plastic mains to keep if from ground-looping on take off, from a "less than ideal" bouncy landing.

When I can fly it on land like Paul does on water, I'm getting close.

I just remembered, I see Thomas every so often at my club field. I've got the (unmaidened) GP F-86 because he brought it, and the UM Spit (with the ASX3 or whatever) to the field. I was impressed by them. And he's an impressive pilot. And that German F-185, or whatever, "jet" that he has - that looks like it should be an EDF, but really has an EDF motor in front with a little 3" prop that you can't see, is impressive! I think it goes around 75mph+! Impressive for a fat little foamy! He's always "well-equipped" in the planes he brings!

Back on topic - I know 90% of you guys don't fly the PZ Icon on land. But from experiences that you have had, how stout is the gear? Any issues?
Strong enough wind will flip any plane on water. I've flipped the Icon. Lesson is don't turn around in high wind. Land downwind and taxi into the wind. Easy when you fly from a boat.

I've never flipped a plane like I flip that darn Stinson. It'll nose over in the grass every time. If I can put it down in the infield, it will - usually - stay on it's feet. But grass? Fuggetaboutit. Spends more time on her back than a pro.

If you are rebending your Stinson gear, you'll be doing the same with the Icon.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:13 AM
Fort Worth, TX
Joined Jan 2010
727 Posts
Quote:
Strong enough wind will flip any plane on water. I've flipped the Icon. Lesson is don't turn around in high wind. Land downwind and taxi into the wind. Easy when you fly from a boat.

I've never flipped a plane like I flip that darn Stinson. It'll nose over in the grass every time. If I can put it down in the infield, it will - usually - stay on it's feet. But grass? Fuggetaboutit. Spends more time on her back than a pro.

If you are rebending your Stinson gear, you'll be doing the same with the Icon.
I've never flipped the Stinson...my common thing is to come in nicely and chop the throttle a bit too high and a shade too hot - plop - bounce! The gear doesn't noticeably 'bend' - but if you ground-loop on a touch and go after this, you'll know you 'deflected' the gear at least a third of an inch or so. Hence, the tape measure to ensure wing height being the same, to determine the correction.

You didn't mean "easy when you fly from a boat," I think. You meant: "easy, when you shadow it with the boat, on the leeward side of the wind, from said wind!"

BTW, I pulled the "PZ Icon handle" at 5:30AM this morning - tick...tock...tick...tock. ...goes the wait on shipping.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:05 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,267 Posts
Have a Q for youz Icon A5 guys...

I think I will buy one .. and make it FPV as usual. Was talking to the owner of the nearby LHS, and he says he can get them in, but he suggests buying some cheaper copy of it instead. He says there is some copy with interchangeable parts with the Parkzone A5.

I am doubtful. I know of two other Icon A5s models - both are cheap crap from China. I had the Guanli version and it is a horrible design, and totally not with parts that would also fit a Parkzone version. Parkzone I know comes from the factory dialled in, tested and functional.

Anyone know of these exact Parkzone knockoff?

Just curious. I will insist on the authentic Parkzone product this time.

(FWIW, I am also considering putting a deposit down on a full size Icon )
BCSaltchucker is offline Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:02 PM
Fort Worth, TX
Joined Jan 2010
727 Posts
Woo hooooo!

Not only has my PZ A5 shipped earlier today, but I just ordered an HK ORX3 V2 3-axis gyro!

Let's see those previously nasty 20-plus mph and added gusts winds! Bring it!

How do ya' like me now, son-a-ma-beeeesh????
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:51 AM
above us only sky
Joined Jan 2006
822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
Have a Q for youz Icon A5 guys...

Was talking to the owner of the nearby LHS, and he says he can get them in, but he suggests buying some cheaper copy of it instead. He says there is some copy with interchangeable parts with the Parkzone A5.

Anyone know of these exact Parkzone knockoff?

Just curious. I will insist on the authentic Parkzone product this time.

(FWIW, I am also considering putting a deposit down on a full size Icon )
Skip the PZ, go full-size!!! LOL. I know of no other. Been trying to get the 71" version. There's another thread in water planes for all the foam versions, but no direct copies of the PZ. So far.
Last edited by Renfield; Feb 02, 2013 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Added link
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:54 AM
above us only sky
Joined Jan 2006
822 Posts
Quote:
Woo hooooo!

Not only has my PZ A5 shipped earlier today, but I just ordered an HK ORX3 V2 3-axis gyro!

Let's see those previously nasty 20-plus mph and added gusts winds! Bring it!

How do ya' like me now, son-a-ma-beeeesh????
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:53 AM
Fort Worth, TX
Joined Jan 2010
727 Posts
Apropos response, Renfield...

Wouldn't it suck to wreck it BECAUSE of the ORX V2, when I was implementing it to PREVENT that?

After my boast above, it would be schadenfreude for that to happen (translated as "just desserts").

Don't think I won't triple-check everything, and NOT use it on water-taxi, for obvious reasons (uncommanded "corrections").

indeed... Stay tuned.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:33 PM
above us only sky
Joined Jan 2006
822 Posts
So I was playing motorboat heading toward a buoy. I saw the buoy, but decided I would go around, pylon style. Nope. Tagged the right wing and halfway snapped the tail.

It has been mentioned multiple times in this thread, but bears repeating: check for the missing glue in the rear fuse!!!

I'm so glad it didn't break in flight.
Last edited by Renfield; Oct 19, 2013 at 09:30 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:18 PM
Fort Worth, TX
Joined Jan 2010
727 Posts
Ahhh...thanks for that!

I think discussion of this is near the beginning of this thread (after page 20-25 or so)?

If I recall, the "channel" that needs the reinforcement is fairly visible and obvious? Your pic is a good reference. What did you use for a correction?

I'll probably use my "modern foamy modeler's secret weapon" - gorilla glue!
Just run a small bead in there and cover with tape to keep it from expanding/keep the surface flush.