Old Jul 28, 2011, 07:26 AM
7.62x51
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Jul 2010
699 Posts
Discussion
ParkZone Icon A5 BNF or PNP

http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Def...ProdID=PKZ5880

One of the hottest new aircraft in general aviation is now an outstanding ParkZone replica. The ICON A5 was designed in cooperation with ICON Aircraft for looks and flight characteristics to match the full-scale flyer. Along with a near-perfect scale outline and realistic trim scheme, it features a special hull design that makes water takeoffs and landings remarkably easy to master. Add the optional light set (sold separately) and you will really have a one-of-a-kind parkflyer that will grab attention wherever it flies.

-Powerful 960Kv 480 brushless outrunner motor with a realistic 3-blade prop
-Quick mounting landing gear with steerable nose wheel to go from pond to pavement in minutes
-Full 4-channel control
-Durable Z-foam™ construction
-AR600 6-Channel Receiver installed
-3S 2200mAh 25C battery included
-2-3 cell variable rate fast charger included
ElIntocable is offline Find More Posts by ElIntocable
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2011, 09:28 AM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Looks great but they are a little late to the market and certainly not priced competitively. Its the same setup as all their $120 planes have with the exception that it floats and has a 30 amp esc. Not worth the $80 markup in my opinion but its Parkzone and their reputation will sell it.
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
Old Jul 28, 2011, 09:50 AM
7.62x51
Joined Jul 2010
699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Pax View Post
Looks great but they are a little late to the market and certainly not priced competitively. Its the same setup as all their $120 planes have with the exception that it floats and has a 30 amp esc. Not worth the $80 markup in my opinion but its Parkzone and their reputation will sell it.
I think your mistaken. There is no similiar setup for $120. I would say that it has the same stuff as any other $250 BNF from Park Zone, except it floats.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 10:18 AM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElIntocable View Post
I think your mistaken. There is no similiar setup for $120. I would say that it has the same stuff as any other $250 BNF from Park Zone, except it floats.
Forgive me, I was looking at the Wildcat which is $119 PNP and the only difference (Mechanically) other than size is an esc and modular wheels. The Trojan and Stinson and others are $20 cheaper but I still think those are overpriced considering the esc is the only variable other than size and its doesn't constitute an $80 or $60 difference in my book. So $199 for a PNP is still a bit much for what it is. HK has their large 1800mm with flaps option and retracts for $179. Add $30 for shipping and $30 for a 60amp esc and you have a plane that is much more than what PZ offers up. A $40 difference and you get optional flaps retracts and a 4s setup. Not saying that the HK doesn't have its problems and I am not saying that the PZ one is not nice but I just think for what it is, its over priced. I would be more inclined if it was at the $159 price tag like the Raiden. For reference of the market, I just got a twin engine PBY which is just a touch larger than the Icon A5 from PZ and I paid $130 for it. Same foam quality, same lipo size, 2 motors, 2 escs and same number of servos for $70 less. I am sure that PZ will sell a bunch of these by reputation alone and I am usually the first to jump in and buy PZ stuff but the competitors beat them to the market in product and price on this one. Its nice and I hope it does well enough to be around this time next year.

Orion
Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:16 PM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,281 Posts
I agree
kuczy is online now Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
Old Jul 29, 2011, 12:40 AM
centennial/aurora colorado
Joined Mar 2008
1,398 Posts
well i pre ordered mine
kelloggair is offline Find More Posts by kelloggair
Old Jul 29, 2011, 01:39 AM
7.62x51
Joined Jul 2010
699 Posts
Quote:
Forgive me, I was looking at the Wildcat which is $119 PNP and the only difference (Mechanically) other than size is an esc and modular wheels. The Trojan and Stinson and others are $20 cheaper but I still think those are overpriced considering the esc is the only variable other than size and its doesn't constitute an $80 or $60 difference in my book. So $199 for a PNP is still a bit much for what it is. HK has their large 1800mm with flaps option and retracts for $179. Add $30 for shipping and $30 for a 60amp esc and you have a plane that is much more than what PZ offers up. A $40 difference and you get optional flaps retracts and a 4s setup. Not saying that the HK doesn't have its problems and I am not saying that the PZ one is not nice but I just think for what it is, its over priced. I would be more inclined if it was at the $159 price tag like the Raiden. For reference of the market, I just got a twin engine PBY which is just a touch larger than the Icon A5 from PZ and I paid $130 for it. Same foam quality, same lipo size, 2 motors, 2 escs and same number of servos for $70 less. I am sure that PZ will sell a bunch of these by reputation alone and I am usually the first to jump in and buy PZ stuff but the competitors beat them to the market in product and price on this one. Its nice and I hope it does well enough to be around this time next year.

Orion
I completely understand your point. But for me, the extra cost is worth the CS and parts availability. It just depends on your personal taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelloggair View Post
well i pre ordered mine
Sweet! Have you seen the real Icon?
Old Jul 29, 2011, 06:12 AM
Mark 12:30
United States, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Jan 2004
676 Posts
Strange release date.

Just checked Horizon Hobbies website and they have the release date as mid Oct. Spring or summer would seem to make more sense. Then again, late this year is better than spring next year !! Love the 3-bladed prop !!
TipStalled is offline Find More Posts by TipStalled
Old Jul 29, 2011, 06:49 AM
centennial/aurora colorado
Joined Mar 2008
1,398 Posts
yep, i was at air venture when they first introduced the icon prototype
kelloggair is offline Find More Posts by kelloggair
Old Jul 29, 2011, 07:09 AM
Suspended Account
United Kingdom, Swansea
Joined Mar 2011
2,225 Posts
Quote:
HK has their large 1800mm with flaps option and retracts for $179. Add $30 for shipping and $30 for a 60amp esc and
....another $35 for missing servos and another $7 for a spacer and another $15 for servo extension leads ans everal hours worth of fiddling to re-inforce parts you know are going to break on the first flight if you don't

In all I'd still rather have the 1800 model though, would just have been better to know exactly what I was getting before I purchased
TeeJayBee is offline Find More Posts by TeeJayBee
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 29, 2011, 08:41 AM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElIntocable View Post
I completely understand your point. But for me, the extra cost is worth the CS and parts availability. It just depends on your personal taste.
I agree with the parts availability. CS is a non-issue. The PZ planes fly great but I have never needed it, however I have heard both good and bad stories about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJayBee View Post
....another $35 for missing servos and another $7 for a spacer and another $15 for servo extension leads ans everal hours worth of fiddling to re-inforce parts you know are going to break on the first flight if you don't

In all I'd still rather have the 1800 model though, would just have been better to know exactly what I was getting before I purchased
Never had missing servos. You need 2 for the flaps if you want to use them and it only cost if you don't have some laying around. Don't know what spacer your talking about but basswood is $1.50. Servo extensions are $2 a piece, how many does the plane need? Its a hobby, take your time and enjoy the build. Nothing is perfect out of the box. You don't want the bigger one with all the bells and whistles, get the PZ one. Not saying PZ isn't great or that the HK one doesn't have its complications or that there is a lack of CS from HK but realistically, The PZ A5 is priced out of its market and is late to the party. I am sure it will do well and I still want one but I will wait for them to go on sale and then use a coupon on top of that.

Orion
Old Jul 29, 2011, 09:30 AM
Suspended Account
United Kingdom, Swansea
Joined Mar 2011
2,225 Posts
Not including the extra servos for flaps I had two servos missing
As for the spacer, I live in the sticks and run a 3 ton 4x4 a 40 mile round trip to get a tiny bit of wood would easily cost me a lot more, better and cheaper to get a spacer made up localy, for servo extensions I bought the wire and ends seperately so I can make one's the right size

The point was not to slag off the HK/NFHobbies Icon A5, it was to point out that there's hidden costs with it which makes the price difference between it and the PZ model les significant
Old Jul 29, 2011, 09:41 AM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
906 Posts
I'm wondering why they didn't go with the 15 sized motor. At 43oz, it will be a pig like the stinson, OK for scale flying with a short loop from a dive, or tenuous roll thrown in every so often. I don't care if it has unlimited vertical, but I would like the ability to fly more "sport" aerobatics, and not be limited to simple boring scale circuits. I also wonder if there is anything to seal the electronics, pushrod tubes or canopy with a bit rougher seas, a little splashing on the canopy could quickly get water into the hull, even a simple rubber gasket could be handy with a little splashing on the canopy being the canopy line is probably all of 2" above the water line. I also would have liked to see a plastic liner over the belly to protect it from landing in grass, even with wheels, it doesn't take many landings for dry rough grass to make the underside of a foamie look like crap. I would also wonder about the tail boom, if it flexes as bad as the radian tail, especially with the prop blowing right at it, and being thinner it could be a minor issue, they may have spars in it, and it may be OK. I'm still interested, we have some water around to fly from, and the Icon beats the army of cubs and supercubs on floats. I'm sure it will fly OK, and am OK with doing a few mods(I know I'm picky), they may not even be needed, as of course I havent even held, much less flown one, but for the money, it seems like they could spend a little more attention protecting it from water intrusion, reinforcing the hull, and giving it a bit more power.
alucard0822 is online now Find More Posts by alucard0822
Old Jul 29, 2011, 09:50 AM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJayBee View Post
Not including the extra servos for flaps I had two servos missing
As for the spacer, I live in the sticks and run a 3 ton 4x4 a 40 mile round trip to get a tiny bit of wood would easily cost me a lot more, better and cheaper to get a spacer made up localy, for servo extensions I bought the wire and ends seperately so I can make one's the right size

The point was not to slag off the HK/NFHobbies Icon A5, it was to point out that there's hidden costs with it which makes the price difference between it and the PZ model les significant
I understand what you were getting at but your blowing it a bit out of proportion I think. Your looking at a $50-$60 dollar difference between the 2 at the most, and I am being kind by not factoring in PZ shipping cost. Since its a trip for you to the LHS you will want to order this on line too and I bet it runs you in the $20 range for shipping as well from Horizon. This now a $30-$40 difference.

Honestly, I like the PZ one better but I like the idea of a true amphibian and optional flaps too. I will take a lack of CS or certain qualities like all the servos or whatever, if it means I have an airframe suitable for my needs and wants. In the end that is what it is all about, individual needs/wants. PZ lands right in the middle of the 2 current offerings and it looks great. It just doesn't have that "in the middle" price point. $20 more than the other guy that is bigger and has more options just doesn't sit right. Its like Nike vs Sketchers, does it really matter? Only if you have more money than scene.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 12:04 PM
Suspended Account
United Kingdom, Swansea
Joined Mar 2011
2,225 Posts
Shipping for the Icon from HK cost me $85

What of service, surley that's a huge factor in purchasing, what are PZ like to deal with

I already know what HK are like e.g. just went to look up my order online to get the shipping cost above and they have removed the order, I'm assuming because I put in a complain (very polite one) regarding the missing items