SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 28, 2011, 05:14 AM
United States, NY, Yonkers
Joined May 2010
198 Posts
Rant
The Joys of Summer Flying

Ah, the joys of the outdoors in the summer. Ever get a bug in your ear while flying your heli ? I did last night. It;s quite a fascinating experience. You feel and hear something thrashing around inside your ear but you can't get rid of it. And you can't get it out. And they little sonova*&*^& won't (or can't) get out on its own.. It's quite a wondrous experience. I put something in the ear to kill it. If I can;t flush it;s corpse out of my ear I'll probably end up at the doctors office tomorrow to have it's remnants removed.

Ah, the sweet joys of summer. Frankly, I'll take winter over summer anytime.
Dimateo is offline Find More Posts by Dimateo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:18 PM
Joined Feb 2011
193 Posts
No that never happend to me it probably will happen one day thow.
I had my plane in the air with a nice little brezz just right for flying ,had every thing trimed out I mean perfect then I smell a perfume now im out in a flying filed were there are no weman at least there hasnt been when i was there any way the smell made me look down and OW MY GOD she was an eye catcher I smiled and she smiled and then she pointed up with a look of suprise as my plane ad down elevater distroyd my plane. I ask my self was that rilly worth the look. DAMN WEMAN!
jimmyjam45 is offline Find More Posts by jimmyjam45
Old Jul 28, 2011, 01:20 PM
Austin TX
Joined Mar 2009
336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimateo View Post
Ah, the joys of the outdoors in the summer.
A couple weeks ago I was flying my TRex 250 at the soccer field down the street, early in the morning, and I started feeling something biting my left foot. I sort of smooshed at it with my right foot, but finished my flight before I got serious about getting rid of whatever it was. I figured it was just ants. It turned out to be fire ants. The bites hurt for a week or so.

I didn't crash, though...

--Al Evans
al_evans is offline Find More Posts by al_evans
Old Jul 28, 2011, 01:37 PM
United States, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Jul 2011
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_evans View Post
A couple weeks ago I was flying my TRex 250 at the soccer field down the street, early in the morning, and I started feeling something biting my left foot. I sort of smooshed at it with my right foot, but finished my flight before I got serious about getting rid of whatever it was. I figured it was just ants. It turned out to be fire ants. The bites hurt for a week or so.

I didn't crash, though...

--Al Evans
I pitched my tent one night over a nest In Kerrville tx never got out of a tent so fast ever, before or after even with jumping in the river and stripping naked it was hard to get them nasty biting little sobs off me so I know what you felt ouch bummer
bevncali is offline Find More Posts by bevncali
Old Jul 28, 2011, 01:59 PM
Joined Feb 2011
193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevncali View Post
I pitched my tent one night over a nest In Kerrville tx never got out of a tent so fast ever, before or after even with jumping in the river and stripping naked it was hard to get them nasty biting little sobs off me so I know what you felt ouch bummer
Dont you wish the ladie at my field would have viseted your field to, lolol
Old Jul 28, 2011, 02:04 PM
United States, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Jul 2011
60 Posts
under the circumstances it could have been interesting but then again I might have scared them off with the dance I was doing and with everything I have flapping and bouncing in the breeze. roflol

sorry if I'm of topic
bevncali is offline Find More Posts by bevncali
Old Jul 28, 2011, 02:12 PM
Joined Feb 2011
193 Posts
lololol no your not of the topic but you gave me a some thing to laugh about, i needed that.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 02:57 PM
USA, NY, Cedarhurst
Joined Mar 2010
1,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimateo View Post
Ah, the joys of the outdoors in the summer. Ever get a bug in your ear while flying your heli ? I did last night. It;s quite a fascinating experience. You feel and hear something thrashing around inside your ear but you can't get rid of it. And you can't get it out. And they little sonova*&*^& won't (or can't) get out on its own.. It's quite a wondrous experience. I put something in the ear to kill it. If I can;t flush it;s corpse out of my ear I'll probably end up at the doctors office tomorrow to have it's remnants removed.

Ah, the sweet joys of summer. Frankly, I'll take winter over summer anytime.
ahh that sux... I have had it happen, but not while flying. But I have had a gnat land on my nose and casually walk right onto my eyeball while flying my heli a couple of months ago... that was interesting to say the least, I gave my heli + collective and removed the bastard with my left hand while the heli slowly gained altitude. Ahh... IDK why, but they always seem to go for the eyes.

I would take winter over summer too... but I'm an absolute ski freak so its only logical LOL.
vicovaludemero is offline Find More Posts by vicovaludemero
Old Jul 28, 2011, 06:23 PM
United States, NY, Yonkers
Joined May 2010
198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicovaludemero View Post
ahh that sux... I have had it happen, but not while flying. But I have had a gnat land on my nose and casually walk right onto my eyeball while flying my heli a couple of months ago... that was interesting to say the least, I gave my heli + collective and removed the bastard with my left hand while the heli slowly gained altitude. Ahh... IDK why, but they always seem to go for the eyes.

I would take winter over summer too... but I'm an absolute ski freak so its only logical LOL.
I don't mind the summer but I hate all the darned bugs. The tradeoff here is that the best flying weather is in summer. Winter wouldn't be bad but its always very windy. I don't ski but I also enjoy the winter season. I love the cold fresh air and the snow.

In any event its funny now but when it was happening last night it was pretty scary to feel this thing moving around inside my head. That feeling is going to haunt me for a while. I'm also going to have to pay close attention to how my ear feels over the nest several days. any signs of an earache or anything and I'll probably have to head to the doctor to get it flushed.
Dimateo is offline Find More Posts by Dimateo
Old Jul 28, 2011, 10:45 PM
Aircrafting is noisey...what?!
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Dec 2005
586 Posts
that sucks

I got some flea bites last week, my heli attracts the larger flying bugs flying and turns them into fertilizer. If you put cotton balls in your ears they will just go for another hole like your nose or mouth. Glad we don't get many bugs out here, I have one of those moskito repeller fan things that works sitting at the computer after dark.
charlieoneseven is offline Find More Posts by charlieoneseven
Old Jul 29, 2011, 12:12 AM
Crash Test Dummy
Greeneville, TN USA
Joined Mar 2000
652 Posts
The bugs are KILLING me this summer for some reason. I have to spray myself down with deet before I even think of going outside this year. Even with the bug spray, I'm still coming home with huge welts on me from head to toe. I have no idea why they're so bad here this year, but its frustrating.

I've gotten pretty good at swatting them while the planks are still in the air, but no way am I letting go of the sticks with my helis. I've been making short landings every few minutes of the flight to swat and scratch.
bsumpter is offline Find More Posts by bsumpter
Old Jul 29, 2011, 09:38 AM
USA, NY, Cedarhurst
Joined Mar 2010
1,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsumpter View Post
The bugs are KILLING me this summer for some reason. I have to spray myself down with deet before I even think of going outside this year. Even with the bug spray, I'm still coming home with huge welts on me from head to toe. I have no idea why they're so bad here this year, but its frustrating.

I've gotten pretty good at swatting them while the planks are still in the air, but no way am I letting go of the sticks with my helis. I've been making short landings every few minutes of the flight to swat and scratch.
Seriously! They have been worse here on Long Island too... and even with the big spray some seem to be immune... like those little white gnat looking bugs that live by the bay, I HATE THEM!
vicovaludemero is offline Find More Posts by vicovaludemero
Old Jul 29, 2011, 11:07 AM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,396 Posts
We got bad bugs here in CNY, I fly in the morning and miss them

Still....I love flying in the summer, we get toooooo much snow here and it gets coooooold. Still, planting a heli in the snow dosen't cause as much damage as smacking the ground
ewoodcox is online now Find More Posts by ewoodcox
Old Jul 29, 2011, 11:44 AM
Austin TX
Joined Mar 2009
336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevncali View Post
under the circumstances it could have been interesting but then again I might have scared them off with the dance I was doing and with everything I have flapping and bouncing in the breeze. roflol

sorry if I'm of topic
Heh, sounds like normal Kerrville stuff...

--Al Evans
al_evans is offline Find More Posts by al_evans
Old Jul 29, 2011, 01:37 PM
United Kingdom, England, Witham
Joined Feb 2011
899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewoodcox View Post
We got bad bugs here in CNY, I fly in the morning and miss them

Still....I love flying in the summer, we get toooooo much snow here and it gets coooooold. Still, planting a heli in the snow dosen't cause as much damage as smacking the ground
Be careful tho when flying in extreme cold:-
metals and plastics will become brittle
battery power will be reduced noticably

Also make sure the snow you crash into is not hard packed snow (Don't ask how I know lol)
Essex2visuvesi is offline Find More Posts by Essex2visuvesi