Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 27, 2011, 11:40 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Flew it again this morning... Have to correct myself, upright spins are as easy as the big Stryker... I guess I was in a bad mood yesterday!

How do you do it????
bluemeane is online now Find More Posts by bluemeane
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2011, 11:52 AM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metieval View Post
I don't use rates, but for some things I use Expo and LOTS of it! not that I need a un sensitive stick near middle, its because when I want max throw...... I get the opposite (hyper sensitive) near max stick travel.
Thats exactly what I don't like about expo. It makes me way over control. I move the stick and nothing happens so I move it more and oh that was to much.
Hance is offline Find More Posts by Hance
Old Aug 27, 2011, 12:03 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbiker94 View Post
So what other batteries can we use in them other then the beast batteries?
I keep hearing people say the Rcbabbel batteries, what the heck are they?
RCBabbel make 2S packs, specifically for the Beast/Sbach/Stryker with Hyperion cells. They are likely the best packs you can get. I make my own, and so far, I think the 180mah are a bit bordeline and I prefer the 240mah packs. But it's only an opinion, some may like the 180mah better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemeane View Post
How do you do it????
Straight from Dave (HH):

Low-rate elevator, high-rate aileron
Enter a normal spin, full up, full aileron & rudder same direction;
Next, Rapidly reverse the aileron & elevator to full down & opposite aileron. This has to be timed properly with a flipping motion you'll see in the snap.
Last, smoothly reverse the rudder to full opposite (aileron & rudder are now both opposite the way you started) and she'll wind up into an upright boomerang.

I still have a HARD time with it... Lot's of randomness.... I don't use dual rate (I'm full rate all the time), so intead of going low rate elevator, I simply control my elevator (not going full) which may make it harder (random). I also did it a few time while not expecting it, and not following that recipe, so there's other ways
RealGambler is online now Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Aug 27, 2011, 12:22 PM
Regina, SK
Joined Nov 2006
1,650 Posts
It was calm last night when I maidened my Stryker last night and it flew ok. The COG must have been off though because it wanted to drop the nose at half throttle. When I compensated with elevator trim, it wanted to climb at full throttle. The battery was in the middle as per the manual. When I tried to set up my landing approach and reduced throttle, it spun into the ground. Luckily it landed in a tall grassy area and there was absolutely not even a scratch on it.

Rob
Rob_G is offline Find More Posts by Rob_G
Old Aug 27, 2011, 02:24 PM
Can't get enough
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined May 2010
2,213 Posts
Quote:
RCBabbel make 2S packs, specifically for the Beast/Sbach/Stryker with Hyperion cells. They are likely the best packs you can get. I make my own, and so far, I think the 180mah are a bit bordeline and I prefer the 240mah packs. But it's only an opinion, some may like the 180mah better.

Straight from Dave (HH):

Low-rate elevator, high-rate aileron
Enter a normal spin, full up, full aileron & rudder same direction;
Next, Rapidly reverse the aileron & elevator to full down & opposite aileron. This has to be timed properly with a flipping motion you'll see in the snap.
Last, smoothly reverse the rudder to full opposite (aileron & rudder are now both opposite the way you started) and she'll wind up into an upright boomerang.

I still have a HARD time with it... Lot's of randomness.... I don't use dual rate (I'm full rate all the time), so intead of going low rate elevator, I simply control my elevator (not going full) which may make it harder (random). I also did it a few time while not expecting it, and not following that recipe, so there's other ways

This to me is just so confusing. I wish I could actually see the tx in motion to get a freakin grasp lol. Full up left down spin around touch your nose wiggle your behind then full up! lol

J
jabsten is online now Find More Posts by jabsten
Old Aug 27, 2011, 02:57 PM
They call me Crash!
Ohio
Joined Jun 2006
1,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hance View Post
Flying on high rates depends on what you are used to. Personally I only use rates on one plane that I own and it flies 150+ mph. I never use expo on anything ever I cant stand the way it makes the controls feel. If you like low rates use them. If you like ugh expo use it too.
I very rarely use expo or D/R on anything but I have found out that these small birds need D/R. This is my preference but every one is different.

I bough two ADs last night and your power train set ups...can't wait to get them built. Man I love fast...and very slow also.
Kaw1000 is online now Find More Posts by Kaw1000
Old Aug 27, 2011, 04:10 PM
Fly it like you stole it!
USA, NC, Raleigh
Joined Jun 2009
832 Posts
This plane is amazing! Just as enjoyable as it's big brother and can fly almost anywhere! My Stryker Q is probably mad at me as it's been sitting on the shelf since the day I got the 180, I'm gonna have to take the Q back out tomorrow and get the real speed thrill going again!
chevypower1930 is offline Find More Posts by chevypower1930
Old Aug 27, 2011, 06:27 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,972 Posts
I'm the guy who lost the canopy and a battery pack on a full throtle, full deflection outside turn. I'm here to report it doesn't fly so great as a "convertible" with the "top down". It does fly, but it really wants to pitch up and the faster you go the more it wants to pitch up. Makes sense, but it's no fun. I'll wait for my canopy before I fly it again.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Aug 27, 2011, 06:57 PM
Crazy Canuck
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Apr 2007
2,145 Posts
Well I solved the battery connector issue. I put the JST connector on the motor wire and I boughtt the TP 240 25C 2S batteries and they're alot cheaper than the cheesy 200 25C 2s and their connectors. I wasn't pleased with having to be forced to buy a wall power cord ($20) or the adapter cord for either the TP or EF charger trays($9) and then buy their batteries ($25) I wish PZ would get it about if they give you a charger to include the power cord I mean what good is it to have the charger with no way to charge the battery except wit ha another battery using the aligator clips. Reall stupid. Also having to buy their batteries that!!The plane at $160 is EXPENSIVE!! and for the added cost of two batteries and cords. I mays well buy the big bird or the SE 5 or another park flyer big plane. I can get better batteries cheaper than theirs. Using their connectors sucks to, again why is it that we RC guys have to SHOW them how to do it right on thier products??? Hint hint PZ wake up and LISTEN to what we are saying you just might get more customers if you LISTEN to what we are doing to make your products right.
Enough ranting I can't wait till I can maiden this bird. But the hurricane is in the way..only a small Cat 1 and the entire east cost is flippin out . What a joke. Shutting down everything....so much for ecconomic gains here. We had worst winds and storms than this and now theses people are flippin out and all. Now I know prevention is a good thing but come on it's a 45-70mph winds and so what. What's going to happen later in the year when the BIG one hits us ?? Talk about freaking out. oooopppppsss here I go again ranting sorry guys.
After the storm flying I'm maidening my little stryker whippeee
NEWBEFLYER is offline Find More Posts by NEWBEFLYER
Old Aug 27, 2011, 07:38 PM
"Add Lightness"..Colin Chapman
Keystone State, USA
Joined Jun 2007
1,139 Posts
I assume you have a TP charger or at least the balance ports for TP as they use different balance taps so you're forced to buy THEIR products as you were so against with PZ.

The battery issue isn't that big of a deal. Part of the hobby is about adaptation, experimentation, etc.

Glad you got your problem solved though. Hope the Hurricane leaves behind that usual calm after the storm so you can get your Stryker in the air. Perhaps you got a good one that isn't so nose heavy out of the box it wasn't even fun to fly....
Elisecat is offline Find More Posts by Elisecat
Old Aug 27, 2011, 08:30 PM
United States, CA, Santa Rosa
Joined Mar 2011
877 Posts
I actually like the alligator clips for the charger. I have a battery from a power chair that I take to the field with me. I have three chargers from 2 beasts and a q. I can charge 3 batts at a time at the field.

When I get home, the battery goes on a trickle charger. It's a great system.
asosestrom is offline Find More Posts by asosestrom
Old Aug 27, 2011, 08:31 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWBEFLYER View Post
Well I solved the battery connector issue. I put the JST connector on the motor wire and I boughtt the TP 240 25C 2S batteries and they're alot cheaper than the cheesy 200 25C 2s and their connectors. I wasn't pleased with having to be forced to buy a wall power cord ($20) or the adapter cord for either the TP or EF charger trays($9) and then buy their batteries ($25) I wish PZ would get it about if they give you a charger to include the power cord I mean what good is it to have the charger with no way to charge the battery except wit ha another battery using the aligator clips. Reall stupid. Also having to buy their batteries that!!The plane at $160 is EXPENSIVE!! and for the added cost of two batteries and cords. I mays well buy the big bird or the SE 5 or another park flyer big plane. I can get better batteries cheaper than theirs. Using their connectors sucks to, again why is it that we RC guys have to SHOW them how to do it right on thier products??? Hint hint PZ wake up and LISTEN to what we are saying you just might get more customers if you LISTEN to what we are doing to make your products right.
Enough ranting I can't wait till I can maiden this bird. But the hurricane is in the way..only a small Cat 1 and the entire east cost is flippin out . What a joke. Shutting down everything....so much for ecconomic gains here. We had worst winds and storms than this and now theses people are flippin out and all. Now I know prevention is a good thing but come on it's a 45-70mph winds and so what. What's going to happen later in the year when the BIG one hits us ?? Talk about freaking out. oooopppppsss here I go again ranting sorry guys.
After the storm flying I'm maidening my little stryker whippeee
Try flying the stryker in 70mph winds , It'll be able to fly without power .
Cheese5 is offline Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Aug 27, 2011, 09:43 PM
MJF
Waiting Fer Da SEFF
United States, GA, Perry
Joined Jul 2010
1,318 Posts
Hey y'all..........
Gots mine today..

Went out very late to fly and barley had time to give it a go

So far I like it a losts
MJF is offline Find More Posts by MJF
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: got another plane
Old Aug 27, 2011, 10:05 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabsten View Post
This to me is just so confusing. I wish I could actually see the tx in motion to get a freakin grasp lol. Full up left down spin around touch your nose wiggle your behind then full up! lol

J
I'll tell you a secret... I looked for Dave's recipe for you, but basically, I'm not even sure what I'm doing when I do it! I do it without thinking, so I could not even tell you how I do it. When I read the Dave's instructions, I was like: Wow, that doesn't look one bit like I do it! My Stryker also have only +/-10mm while other have 12mm, so not sure if that help or make things worst... But hey, that's the fun of flying isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
I'm the guy who lost the canopy and a battery pack on a full throtle, full deflection outside turn. I'm here to report it doesn't fly so great as a "convertible" with the "top down". It does fly, but it really wants to pitch up and the faster you go the more it wants to pitch up. Makes sense, but it's no fun. I'll wait for my canopy before I fly it again.
Thank you for testing it for us, now we know!. (I'm the one who suggested you tried it). Hope you get your canopy fast!
RealGambler is online now Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Aug 27, 2011, 11:02 PM
Can't get enough
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined May 2010
2,213 Posts
Quote:
I'll tell you a secret... I looked for Dave's recipe for you, but basically, I'm not even sure what I'm doing when I do it! I do it without thinking, so I could not even tell you how I do it. When I read the Dave's instructions, I was like: Wow, that doesn't look one bit like I do it! My Stryker also have only +/-10mm while other have 12mm, so not sure if that help or make things worst... But hey, that's the fun of flying isn't it?

Thank you for testing it for us, now we know!. (I'm the one who suggested you tried it). Hope you get your canopy fast!

Thanks RG! It was a little too windy to fly today unfortunately. I just was messing around to actually measure my ail/elev, and at around 75 D/R I get around 10mm up and 10mm down. When you do full ail/elev (corner up or corner down) It jumps to over 17mm! That has to be pushing the servos...I tried lowering the D/R to lower the full ail/elev servo throw, but it makes weak ail and elev seperately. Can this be fixed on the DX8 with a mix? Microheli was the one to mention it. I wonder if this is ok? Anyway, just thought I would throw that out there!

Justin
jabsten is online now Find More Posts by jabsten