HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 18, 2011, 03:47 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by destinbeachman View Post
That thing rocks!I think that's gonna be my first fixed-wing.
I would have said "no way"! But after my first flight on it on low rates, I have to say this thing is VERY easy to fly. It's a pussycat. But you do need more room that you'd think. It eats up air pretty quick at even 1/2 throttle. So, I assume by "first fixed-wing" you're a heli guy? That makes me think this would be OK too. You already have that mechanical stick-to-aircraft feeling, instinctively don't over-control, stay oriented and don't get confused by aircraft flying toward you. If you get mixed up you have very little time to recover. If you can stay in positive control at all times and never feel like you are chasing the model, you should do fine. That's a lot of "ifs" but it's all necessary. If you get behind, you're doomed.

BTW, landing it became a "floater" overshooting my intended spot by a large margin. All I can say is: what fun, what fun, what fun!!!
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2011, 03:55 PM
Experienced R/C Repairman
Three Oaks, Michigan
Joined Sep 2003
2,527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisecat View Post
Is there any way you could try to explain how these flat spins are done?

I know.... prob not easy putting it into words, etc.
But these types of spins with any plane have always intrigued me and
I have to say I've never been able to do such a thing....

Great info, by the way.
Try full up, full aileron & rudder same direction.
barnyardflyer is online now Find More Posts by barnyardflyer
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 18, 2011, 04:05 PM
Florida
Joined Jul 2010
796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
I would have said "no way"! But after my first flight on it on low rates, I have to say this thing is VERY easy to fly. It's a pussycat. But you do need more room that you'd think. It eats up air pretty quick at even 1/2 throttle. So, I assume by "first fixed-wing" you're a heli guy? That makes me think this would be OK too. You already have that mechanical stick-to-aircraft feeling, instinctively don't over-control, stay oriented and don't get confused by aircraft flying toward you. If you get mixed up you have very little time to recover. If you can stay in positive control at all times and never feel like you are chasing the model, you should do fine. That's a lot of "ifs" but it's all necessary. If you get behind, you're doomed.

BTW, landing it became a "floater" overshooting my intended spot by a large margin. All I can say is: what fun, what fun, what fun!!!
Thanks,I'm gonna take my time for sure-cut the throws down and start with quite a bit of expo.I fly the Funjet on Phoenix a ton and when I saw the 'Q 180 I really got jazzed up.Any other tips?
destinbeachman is offline Find More Posts by destinbeachman
Old Aug 18, 2011, 04:10 PM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisecat View Post
Is there any way you could try to explain how these flat spins are done?
Here's how I enter an inverted flat spin: Full power vertical climb to about 100' (or whatever height you're happy with) and apply full down elevator with simultaneous full right aileron and full left rudder (with max recommended throws in the manual) quickly followed by minimum throttle. The plane flicks into a slow rotation flat inverted spin, but if full throttle is maintained the rotational speed is higher.
Hope that makes sense....
P.S. Don't forget to neutralise the sticks in good time or you'll do an inverted flat spin landing!
Ben D Wing is offline Find More Posts by Ben D Wing
Last edited by Ben D Wing; Aug 18, 2011 at 04:17 PM.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 04:20 PM
birmingham Al.
Joined Aug 2005
1,186 Posts
got mine today ,this one is gonna be hard to beat .
killer vtwin is offline Find More Posts by killer vtwin
Old Aug 18, 2011, 04:21 PM
Joined Dec 2010
6,306 Posts
Quote:
Thanks,I'm gonna take my time for sure-cut the throws down and start with quite a bit of expo.I fly the Funjet on Phoenix a ton and when I saw the 'Q 180 I really got jazzed up.Any other tips?
Use the expos and throws suggested in the manual and they specify a LOT of expo. But their settings seem to be as well designed as their aircraft.

If your experience with rc is only on a sim, I would not suggest this model. Really... flying for real is very different. If you end up with this as your first, though, let us know how it goes.

I had someone ask me to let it go with no control input for a few seconds to see how stable it is. I just couldn't. My reflexes wouldn't let me. It's like leaning the wrong way on a bike in a turn. You just can't. I feels like if you're disconnected from it for more than an instant you'd be out of control. It's moving so fast and it goes exactly where it's pointed with no self induced recovery of any sort.

Maybe it would fly for a few seconds, but the point I'm trying to get across is the constant correct, properly oriented, NOT OVER-CONTROLLED input this thing needs is not possible for a beginner. There's so much to get built into your reflexes first.

EDIT: I can barely get my thumb off the stick long enough to adjust trim when I'm flying this... sometimes.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 04:28 PM
I fly em', there for I am.
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Feb 2009
667 Posts
Great to hear others are chiming in on their new birds!! For any that are new, I say lots of expo!! It's a very small plane with big control surfaces...

Thanks for the flat spin instructions guys! I've been wanting to know how that's done too. I hope I get a chance to give it a shot this afternoon... 30 minutes and I'm done with work..
SBOTI74 is offline Find More Posts by SBOTI74
Old Aug 18, 2011, 04:28 PM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
One came in to my LHS today. How does the stryker fly in comparison to the beast? easier to fly? harder? quicker?
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock
Old Aug 18, 2011, 04:32 PM
Florida
Joined Jul 2010
796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Use the expos and throws suggested in the manual and they specify a LOT of expo. But their settings seem to be as well designed as their aircraft.

If your experience with rc is only on a sim, I would not suggest this model. Really... flying for real is very different. If you end up with this as your first, though, let us know how it goes.

I had someone ask me to let it go with no control input for a few seconds to see how stable it is. I just couldn't. My reflexes wouldn't let me. It's like leaning the wrong way on a bike in a turn. You just can't. I feels like if you're disconnected from it for more than an instant you'd be out of control. It's moving so fast and it goes exactly where it's pointed with no self induced recovery of any sort.

Maybe it would fly for a few seconds, but the point I'm trying to get across is the constant correct, properly oriented, NOT OVER-CONTROLLED input this thing needs is not possible for a beginner. There's so much to get built into your reflexes first.

EDIT: I can barely get my thumb off the stick long enough to adjust trim when I'm flying this... sometimes.
I'm a pretty good 3D heli pilot.I fly well enough to pull off inverted flipping autorotations.I'll go slow.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 04:36 PM
Joined Dec 2010
6,306 Posts
Quote:
I'm a pretty good 3D heli pilot.I fly well enough to pull off inverted flipping autorotations.I'll go slow.
Oh... well THAT makes all the difference. Your last post made it sound like you were exclusively a computer jockey. You've got all the skills necessary, then. It should be easy for you.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 04:38 PM
Joined Feb 2009
667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryclock View Post
One came in to my LHS today. How does the stryker fly in comparison to the beast? easier to fly? harder? quicker?
Grab it! Grab it, you won't be disappointed!! I have the Beast and I love it but the Stryker 180 is in a league all it's own.

I would say it slows down to about the same speed as the beast but is more stable. It flys was different though. A lot quicker and with high rates, it's a spinning machine! Flip in it's own space almost! I wouldn't say it's any harder to fly if you set the low rates but you need to be on your toes a lot more with the Stryker on high rates than you would be with the Beast on high rates.

Quicker? Yeah, for sure than the Beast! I get unlimited vertical, with authority, on the Styker. Good times.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 04:38 PM
Joined Dec 2010
6,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBOTI74 View Post
Great to hear others are chiming in on their new birds!! For any that are new, I say lots of expo!! It's a very small plane with big control surfaces...
No kidding! For high rates, the manual suggest 50%, 40% and 5% expo on the rudder! Forget which is which for the elevator and ailerons.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 04:45 PM
Florida
Joined Jul 2010
796 Posts
That thing just looks like crazy fun for the money!It's a great time to be flying RC.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 04:51 PM
Joined Feb 2009
667 Posts
Quote:
That thing just looks like crazy fun for the money!It's a great time to be flying RC.
Yes sir, it sure is!! As a part-time Heli guy myself, I love just being able to grab a box (Beast or now the Stryker) and my radio and go out for a bit and bang some sticks. Not as cool looking as a Heli but I lot easier on the brain..

All these UMs and UMXs coming out, it's a great time!!!
Old Aug 18, 2011, 04:59 PM
Joined Dec 2010
6,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBOTI74 View Post
Yes sir, it sure is!! As a part-time Heli guy myself, I love just being able to grab a box (Beast or now the Stryker) and my radio and go out for a bit and bang some sticks. Not as cool looking as a Heli but I lot easier on the brain..

All these UMs and UMXs coming out, it's a great time!!!
I fly a Blade 400 and when a servo stripped (fortunately I do a control check every flight... click, click, click...) I haven't taken the time to replace it. I HAVE the servo, I just don't put it in. These little planes have completely swept me away from the heli. I don't even fly my cool little mCPx anymore!