HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 28, 2011, 07:30 AM
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Jul 2010
688 Posts
Awesome! This is too cool. So is the Park Zone Icon A5!

EDIT: The box has a handle! Mother of God! Our prayers have been answered!!!
ElIntocable is online now Find More Posts by ElIntocable
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2011, 07:35 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
You know me Chuck, so here's the first techical questions:

Battery bay size? (so we can start to make our own pack or make sure our old ones fit, particularly the 240mah)

200mah battery size? (out of curiosity but also to see if it fit in UMXs)

Are they new horns? (look a bit thicker which, in my book, would be an asset. If they are thicker, could they be used in previous airplanes, like UMXs)

Can you adjust servos with clevis?

Can you provide pictures of the inside? (Very easy to open the big one, only one screw get access to receiver and ESC)

How are the ailerons attached? (Tape, foam? close up picture please?)

Give me a few more minutes, and I'll have a few more! Sorry for all the work, you're the best!
Closeup of control rods and horns.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 28, 2011, 07:43 AM
Germany, near Hamburg
Joined Aug 2010
66 Posts
Great video, great plane. cannot wait!
I love to see the new servo covers and the handle on the box!
Any1 else realized that they list their 180mah batteries as possible accessory? I wish we had the dimensions of the 200mah battery as it seemed to fit in to the battery bay really snug and tight. Will have to see wether any other batteries fit in there (having the miniaviation 2s in mind).
There's only 1 thing keeping me from preordering... the comment about the DX6i.. i'll have to wait for some1 to figure out the fiddeling around, hoping this is easy and doable..
:edit: switching 2 servo connections shouldn't be too hard.. so i'll preorder once it gets listed on the german site
Anyhow thanks Chuck, Odie and Nitrocharged for providing hints This plane sure is what a lot of people have been waiting for!
fragje is offline Find More Posts by fragje
Last edited by fragje; Jul 28, 2011 at 08:28 AM.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 07:46 AM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,256 Posts
For those who are curious, yes it will do the boomerang maneuver just like the larger one! (super-fast flat inverted spin)
Dave Eichstedt is offline Find More Posts by Dave Eichstedt
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 28, 2011, 07:48 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
So are they thicker horns than the usual UM stuff or not? In my book, this will be a problem if they are as thin as the original horns.

Just read the manual... There will be a learning curve for previous Stryker owners!

First, "Set throttle at zero before plugging the battery"... I can see myself setting it at 50%

Then: "land with 1/4 to 1/3rd throttle"!!! So what, no elevator landings? (though, I have a strong feeling that it will land very much like it's big brother)

I also answered another question I had... ESC and motor cover is taped, not screwed... Ah well.

Thanks Dave for confirming the Boomerang spin!!! YEAH!!!!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Jul 28, 2011, 08:01 AM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt View Post
For those who are curious, yes it will do the boomerang maneuver just like the larger one! (super-fast flat inverted spin)

Can't wait till this one is out, hopefully it is released as quickly after announcement as the polecat and Sbach, says late August, and so far it seems UMs are on time more often than not.

The big F27Q is quickly becoming my favorite plane, does most anything at any speed, the boomerang spins and elevator landings are jaw dropping, being able to do them in the back yard will be awesome. Should also be easier to fly in cluttered areas without much room for landing, just like the big Q, If there is enough sky, but not much landing strip, just launch it, and go vertical, then come in for an elevator landing right at your feet. Haven't been this excited about a plane since, well the last F-27Q
alucard0822 is online now Find More Posts by alucard0822
Old Jul 28, 2011, 08:11 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt View Post
For people who are wondering what it look like, here's a boomerang spin I did yesterday on the full size F-27Q Stryker. Again, cheap keychain camera, bad framerate, out of frame for a while, but if you have not seen one yet, it's very nice. So basically, this is truly a full fledge UM F-27Q.

F-27Q Stryker boomerang spin (0 min 25 sec)
Old Jul 28, 2011, 08:17 AM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,015 Posts
Already placed my order! Chuck, they really need to give you part of the profits on these planes hehe! Lets hope that there isn't much to figure out using a dx6i. Its the only radio I have, so this should be interesting!
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay
Old Jul 28, 2011, 08:23 AM
Germany, near Hamburg
Joined Aug 2010
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsDay View Post
...Lets hope that there isn't much to figure out using a dx6i. Its the only radio I have, so this should be interesting!
i was worried the saem. I just read thru the manual and for dx6i you apparently just have to change 2 of the servo connections on the board. so shouldn't be a biggie
fragje is offline Find More Posts by fragje
Old Jul 28, 2011, 08:26 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsDay View Post
Already placed my order! Chuck, they really need to give you part of the profits on these planes hehe! Lets hope that there isn't much to figure out using a dx6i. Its the only radio I have, so this should be interesting!
Somehow, I'm thinking it has already be done for the big brother. Many people are flying it with a DX6i. Main difference would be if the servo had a different assignement. But as usual, somebody will find the recipe, post it, and then, it will be easy to setup.

@Dave: Since they used the Sbach receiver, is it ok to assume that it will be possible to make airbrakes out of the rudders?
Old Jul 28, 2011, 08:27 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard0822 View Post
......haven't been this excited about a plane since, well the last f-27q
++1
pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Jul 28, 2011, 08:30 AM
Joined Jun 2011
153 Posts
don't think this will be a buy for me... I had a hard enough time figuring out expo and dr and that was easy... I'd rather not have to fiddle with the board to get flying

are the steps required in the online manual? may go check that
apothecarion is offline Find More Posts by apothecarion
Old Jul 28, 2011, 08:33 AM
From a Different Planet!
Lagrange, Ohio
Joined Jun 2005
1,026 Posts
Ok how long do I have to wait for the next release.

Hopefully it will be a real airplane.
edge_pilot is offline Find More Posts by edge_pilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My 2 favorite everyday flyers!
Old Jul 28, 2011, 08:34 AM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Subscribe
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Old Jul 28, 2011, 08:35 AM
Future Pilot
Canada
Joined Apr 2011
1,573 Posts
Thanks for the video Chuck. Although this definitely does not look like a plane you can fly indoors.

I'm actually way more pumped about the A5! Woo!!!

I just don't like pushers that much, don't look scale to me. EDFs are the ticket when it comes to these guys! I want a micro Habu!
astronaut is offline Find More Posts by astronaut