SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:22 AM
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,104 Posts
You guys are killing me.. The last 3 pages of this thread sold me on the stryker. Between this and the nano I just bought, I may be in some trouble

Whats the recommended battery for this bad boy? Any recommended mods? Different props? There is simply too much info in this thread! Off to read 250+ pages

edit// found: battery "180mah-240mah, something like a hyperion or nano tech"
prop "4040" seems to be popular
mods none that I have noticed besides a gram or two with pitch on wot (I will be using mixing if the issue is bad enough)
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by 3d astronaut; Feb 16, 2013 at 02:35 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:20 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,529 Posts
For those of us without Magic Fingers at the controls, a bit of packing tape and CF can be employed to reinforce the airframe's common weak spots.

In particular, the elevon tips and the fuse from the canopy to the nose.

Just my 2 cents......

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:39 AM
Can't fly 3D for toffee ...
United Kingdom, Taunton
Joined Dec 2012
1,152 Posts
I have now put in a 10% flap to throttle mix which gives a subtle amount of down elevator to up throttle ('the mix' puts elevator onto flap channel). I have left it switchable and am concerned it will only ever be tweakable to work on one set of rates so I may need to learn to do all my flying at high rates.

I have also been as precise as I can on the mechanical trimming as it seemed to have a minute amount of up elevator which would not have helped.

3 nails (3.75g) have been left in the tail. This seems a sensible amount to counteract the extra weight of the Nano-Tech 300mAh. It puts the CG 3mm forward of Eflie's recommended.

Looking at my prop, it seems to be angled to give down thrust at the rear. I wonder if this is correct as it would give the symptom of pitching up at speed.

I'll report back when I get the chance to fly it.
GoAround is offline Find More Posts by GoAround
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:44 AM
Canada
Joined Jan 2013
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
For those of us without Magic Fingers at the controls, a bit of packing tape and CF can be employed to reinforce the airframe's common weak spots.

Just my 2 cents......

Yes.. this is a must when everything is brand new otherwise it will start looking pretty beat up without. If I hadn't taped my Stryker, the small crash I had probably would made it look like it was a 10 year old piece of foam. I seriously have to give everyone credit for my ability to fly this plane. I read every post and took everyone's advise and also watched all the videos... really shows you what to expect.

The only thing I did do was I removed "the mix" because it seems to really overwork the servos in the corners and I am not skilled enough to be able to recover from a mechanical issue. Human error keeps me busy enough. I did add the Throttle to Elevator mix @ 10% which works perfect for me to keep everything level when on full throttle (I also had to completely remove foam block to move battery back far enough to get CG set on my plane).
Zeus_Lewis is offline Find More Posts by Zeus_Lewis
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:24 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,287 Posts
Quote:

Just my 2 cents......

ok lets talk about this mod with pictures
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:33 PM
Joined Aug 2010
3,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
ok lets talk about this mod with pictures
Ha!

There's usually more than one good way to do these things.

I'll see what I can come up with in the way of photos.......but YMMV....

Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:37 PM
Joined Aug 2010
3,529 Posts
Photos here illustrate the vulnerable area in the front of the fuse

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=4180
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:43 PM
Joined Aug 2010
3,529 Posts
Posts showing some reinforcement strategies:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2678

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1752
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:50 PM
Joined Aug 2010
3,529 Posts
Not shown: using clear tape strips to strengthen the fuse along the fault zone pictured so graphically in post 4237.

That preventative mod doesn't photograph very well; the clear tape doesn't show up. (Which, of course, is a GOOD thing!)

Just use common sense. Apply tape strips in such a manner (location and direction) that their tensile strength will protect the foam from breaking as a result of impact forces.......

Old Feb 16, 2013, 03:47 PM
I can fix that!
United States, ME, Bangor
Joined Jul 2011
942 Posts
Quote:
Not shown: using clear tape strips to strengthen the fuse along the fault zone pictured so graphically in post 4237.

That preventative mod doesn't photograph very well; the clear tape doesn't show up. (Which, of course, is a GOOD thing!)

Just use common sense. Apply tape strips in such a manner (location and direction) that their tensile strength will protect the foam from breaking as a result of impact forces.......

Thanks Pugs...now I can't get my mouth closed!
doug.wagner is offline Find More Posts by doug.wagner
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:27 PM
Canada
Joined Jan 2013
5 Posts
Here's a few pics... it's hard to see but I used 3M Scotch Tape on the Wing Leading Edge then after i had my incident, I put the effort into taping the curved parts with Packing tape.

I should have done that it the first place with the Scoth tape but I didn't feel the need to. I do now though!
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:30 PM
Canada
Joined Jan 2013
5 Posts
Hey Pugsam... I no longer appreciate Tensile Strength. That picture would have been better without it.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:40 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,287 Posts
Quote:
Awesome, thank you!
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:57 PM
Joined Aug 2010
3,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
Awesome, thank you!
I wonder why we haven't heard from 8thelephant in a while......those posts are from him.......he's the awesome one.

8th, are you out there?

Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:32 AM
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Second E-flight? Ew... don't buy any more of those! You can have better performance and life at 1/2 the cost.
Yeah, but mine is nose heavy and I finally have the CG tuned just right. What packs do you suggest and how does their weight differ?
GBLynden is offline Find More Posts by GBLynden