HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:36 PM
Bozos Live Here
Joined Dec 2012
103 Posts
If they _do_ come out with a "new" UM Stryker I would like to see a DSMX Receiver and Digital Servos.

I was out flying tonight and discovered a neat maneuver I don't know the name of.. I would fly it full throttle straight and level and then push the nose full down while cutting the throttle to zero. It would result in a virtually instant stop. An odd way to air-brake, I must say..but it seriously works and I am liking the variety of unexpected stunts this plane can do.
I love to punch it way, way up there.. then flip it and let it come down inverted..and 3 feet off the ground, go wot and push it nose up and do it over again

I gotta wonder why this plane did not appear to sell well originally..perhaps the looks are intimidating?.
After flying the Stryker, my 3 flying buddies have all placed orders.
Their other planes (champ, um trojan, um spitfire, umx mix-15, um pole cat) sat in the trunk.
Sun Eagle is offline Find More Posts by Sun Eagle
Last edited by Sun Eagle; Feb 09, 2013 at 09:37 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:46 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,110 Posts
Launching is intimidating?
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:10 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
Launching is intimidating?
Good grief, no!

The Baby Stryker is an easy overhand launch.*

Got a new one on the way now......

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Last edited by pugsam; Feb 06, 2013 at 09:23 PM. Reason: add photo
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:25 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CnadianFF View Post
I can't seem to find this talked about anywhere but is there a prop upgrade for the 180 to gain some more speed that wouldn't be to hard to find? Something like a prop from another micro? I notice planes like the champ have the same screw size with a little wider prop. Want to find something that won't overload the stock ESC either. Thanks in advance.
It's actually been talked to death earlier in this thread. The ESC isn't what you have to worry about. It's the battery packs. Put a 4040 prop on her and good quality battery packs and I swear this thing does close to 60mph! Don't try it with the E-flight packs, though.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:27 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Eagle View Post
If they _do_ come out with a "new" UM Stryker I would like to see a DSMX Receiver and Digital Servos.
+1

I also think that now Eflite batteries are a bit better it should come with a 4040 as standard. Also they need to sort the wiring so it works with a 6i out of the box.

They could keep the same shape mouldings (like they did with the Sbach 3D) and just update the electrics, possibly even the CG position...

Tony
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:23 AM
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,825 Posts
What battery packs are recommended for this little bird?
GBLynden is offline Find More Posts by GBLynden
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:32 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,495 Posts
BabbelBatts 180s are highly recommended, though I use his 240s most of the time.

I think the 180s are favoured as they are lighter and can help keep the CG back.

Tony
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:15 AM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Jun 2005
1,504 Posts
Quote:
I was out flying tonight and discovered a neat maneuver I don't know the name of.. I would fly it full throttle straight and level and then push the nose full down while cutting the throttle to zero. It would result in a virtually instant stop. An odd way to air-brake, I must say..but it seriously works and I am liking the variety of unexpected stunts this plane can do.
Nose down?? Hard nose up at full speed is called a wall.
Hornetnz is online now Find More Posts by Hornetnz
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:28 AM
Joined Aug 2012
475 Posts
Quote:

I love to punch it way, way up there.. then flip it and let it come down inverted..and 3 feet off the ground, go wot and push it nose up and do it over again

I gotta wonder why this plane did not appear to sell well originally..perhaps the looks are intimidating? It really is a pussycat if flown at low speed.
After flying the Stryker, my 3 flying buddies have all placed orders.
Their other planes (champ, um trojan, um spitfire, umx mix-15, um pole cat) sat in the trunk.

Nose down? Seems like a good way to stuff it.

I just stuffed mine trying to push out of inverted flight about six feet off the ground. I made the mistake of not giving it enough throttle and rather than coming back up nice and clean, it just kind of rolled over and died. It glued back together nicely though, both stabilizers snapped off, nose snapped off.
AWDstylez is online now Find More Posts by AWDstylez
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:45 AM
United States, TX, North Richland Hills
Joined Mar 2008
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBLynden View Post
I was a new customer but didn't get the new customer discount. Hmmmm

How does the FB thing work? Do I just have to like their page and that is it?
The FB page has a 'deals' category next to their 'photos' and 'likes'.

The new customer was on the cart page and asks you to register for the discount it was only $1 and some change so it wasn't much.

It's my second UM Stryker. I probably won't even fly it until the one I'm flying now becomes unflyable. I'm enjoying it as much as my bigger Q.
lgforeman is offline Find More Posts by lgforeman
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:58 PM
Bozos Live Here
Joined Dec 2012
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDstylez View Post
Nose down? Seems like a good way to stuff it.
What it does is cause the plane to flip inverted in the opposite direction, arresting forward motion in a snap. Cutting the throttle at the same time causes it to just stop and float down inverted. It's very easy to do, give it a go!
(just be sure to hold the nose "down" so it stays inverted and floats until ur ready to rip)
On that topic, this plane will fly better inverted than any I have ever tried.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:27 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornetnz View Post
Nose down?? Hard nose up at full speed is called a wall.
We also call it a Cobra here....
RealGambler is online now Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:57 PM
Can't fly 3D for toffee ...
United Kingdom, Taunton
Joined Dec 2012
1,183 Posts
I maidened mine today in a 5mph or so breeze. First two flights went very well, although I soon discovered that the CG is too far forward. I am using Nano-Tech 300s which are pushed up next to the brick with just a tiny CF rod between. Tomorrow I will put a nail in the rear fuselage to balance it out as I don't want to be buying even more 2S lipos!

I am assuming the CG is off because it needs quite a bit of down elevator when inverted ... does the conventional aircraft rule apply where I should expect little or no forward stick?

I did some nice inverted spins (it wouldn't spin the right way up, due CG I guess), loops, rolls, fast fly bys and elevator landings. I was amazed how quick it goes and how well it deals with the wind.

On the third flight I decided to add some down trim as it was always pitching up at speed. Unfortunately I was distracted finding and using the trim switch so flew it into a small tree that I didn't see It was going pretty quickly so it took a few small chunks out of the leading edge along with other small wounds. I always put clear tape on the leading edge of a new micro... but I had forgotten!. I have had to repair it by snipping out some small bits of foam and gluing in. It still flies but it is annoying to make it a mess early due mis-attention.
GoAround is offline Find More Posts by GoAround
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:11 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
We also call it a Cobra here....
There's a technical difference. The Wall doesn't go past vertical... like a wall. The Cobra does... like a cobra in striking position. A distinction with no real difference, I'm sure.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:51 PM
Bozos Live Here
Joined Dec 2012
103 Posts
Question: Is it possible to get a Dx5 to work with the Stryker?

I need a cheap transmitter and the used Dx6 I bought died the next day.... low on funds, need to know if a Dx5 will get me by or.. ..are there other brands of transmitters that are cheaper but conform to the same dsm2/dsmx standard?