SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:49 PM
Can't fly 3D for toffee ...
United Kingdom, Taunton
Joined Dec 2012
1,184 Posts
Yes, knife = surgery! Then I cut away the back of the battery tray and replaced with a thin CF rod next to the brick as I will be using 300mAh batteries. I guess that must count as surgery, albeit not required by HH!
GoAround is offline Find More Posts by GoAround
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:07 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,519 Posts
I might try that myself!

I like the idea of getting my 240s a bit further back. A carbon strip could allow this, though I bet the carbon strip and glue weighs more than the foam square that is removed...

Tony
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:32 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAround View Post
Yes, knife = surgery!
Don't be silly, it's a moveable hatch, held on by tape.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:57 PM
United Kingdom, Taunton
Joined Dec 2012
1,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
I bet the carbon strip and glue weighs more than the foam square that is removed
It's just a single length of 1mm CF rod glued in across to act as a barrier between the battery and brick. It weighs virtually nothing, like the foam it replaced. It's only purpose is to get the battery back 1cm. Unfortunately, it is still a bit nose heavy. I won't look at any other solutions till I actually get the weather to test fly it though. If it flies nose heavy then I will relocate the brick etc. a bit further aft or add tail weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
Don't be silly, it's a moveable hatch, held on by tape.
But I like being silly ... and the knife was very sharp
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:57 PM
Bozos Live Here
Joined Dec 2012
103 Posts
Well I wondered why the price came down on these I think I might know why.

I just noticed this...
For some unknown, unimaginable reason.. the ( Parkzone UM F-27Q) do not have DSMX Receivers...it's the obsolete, older DSM2 Receivers! (At least, that's what the box says).

Why would horizon do that? Is it a typo? I can't imagine for the life of me why they would not install a DSMX receiver into this class of plane.. Heck even the new Champ has DSMX!

I'm somewhat new to the world of Spektrum.. is this a deal-killer? Should I get my money back? Does DSMX make all-that-much difference in reality? Will the range suffer?
Sun Eagle is offline Find More Posts by Sun Eagle
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:16 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Eagle View Post

I just noticed this...
For some unknown, unimaginable reason.. the ( Parkzone UM F-27Q) do not have DSMX Receivers...it's the obsolete, older DSM2 Receivers! (At least, that's what the box says).

Why would horizon do that? Is it a typo? I can't imagine for the life of me why they would not install a DSMX receiver into this class of plane.. Heck even the new Champ has DSMX!

I'm somewhat new to the world of Spektrum.. is this a deal-killer? Should I get my money back? Does DSMX make all-that-much difference in reality? Will the range suffer?
HH regularly lower the price of their airplanes. Usually, it's because they will stop selling it (getting rid of inventory) or they are coming with a better version of the airplane (ex.: Beast became Beast 3D with AS3X)

Being DSM2 is not a problem at all unless you plan to fly your airplane with 100 other airplanes. DSMX simply allow more airplanes in the air at the same time. So, enjoy the fact that the price went down recently. You got a great deal on a great airplane. Sure enough, if they decide to come out with a Stryker with AS3X, then, you may have been better waiting for it (though likely pay more for it), but they may also kill it, and if that's the case, you may have missed an awesome airplane.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:56 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,994 Posts
Quote:

I just noticed this...

You're panicking unnecessarily. If you read this thread you will find no evidence of mass shoot downs or range problems.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:24 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,501 Posts
Quote:
is this a deal-killer? Should I get my money back? Does DSMX make all-that-much difference in reality? Will the range suffer?
Let's see... no, no, no and, um... no. Your vision will run out far sooner than the radio.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:25 AM
Germany, HE, Wiesbaden
Joined Jan 2013
48 Posts
How can I subscribe a topic here?

???
harald.doerr is offline Find More Posts by harald.doerr
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:30 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,519 Posts
Not sure what you mean...

Just ask a question and we will help if we can. Posting any comment, like you already have, subscribes you to this thread.

Tony
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:32 AM
United Kingdom, Taunton
Joined Dec 2012
1,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harald.doerr View Post
???
You just did by posting but the neater way is to look at the Thread Tools, just under all the page numbers at the top.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:31 PM
Bozos Live Here
Joined Dec 2012
103 Posts
First Flight Impressions/Experiences

Fast plane, very broad handling envelope. Will cruise around slow or go ballistic. The roll rate, for me, is more than adequate and landings are beyond easy..just slow it up, pull back on the elevator and let it drop down onto the grass. I ran 4 bats through it without a scratch.

Borrowed a DX7s, no expo no adjustments just a straight bind to the supplied model. No adjustments were needed...with everything on full it flies amazing! I don't think I can ever go back to 1 cells. It seems faster than the UMX Mig-15.
The ability to accelerate, straight up...wow. This plane gets small fast!

One problem however..
When I first ran the motor up it sounded..weird. It seemed to pulse and cut out on occasion. Stayed sounding weird throughout the entire time. Took it back to my LHS and they confirmed that it sounded super weird and the motor even cut out once while on-power.. they swapped it out with a new plane without issue. The new motor sounded much more robust and not-weird... so even flying with a "bad" motor this thing was a little rocket. The long flight times are a serious bonus.

Summation: Color me a Stryker Fan. This plane rocks! Pure fun.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:34 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,739 Posts
Quote:
Borrowed a DX7s, no expo no adjustments just a straight bind to the supplied model. No adjustments were needed...with everything on full it flies amazing!

Summation: Color me a Stryker Fan. This plane rocks! Pure fun.
NICE, when I grow up, maybe I'll be able to fly without Expo, LOL!!

I've never flown her with the stock prop, I immediately put the GWS 4040 prop on her as suggested here as well as using RCBabbel's Babbel batts, 2s 240mAh. Very fun!!

Glad your LHS store helped you out!
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:36 AM
Bozos Live Here
Joined Dec 2012
103 Posts
Frankly I tried to find the switch(s) that enabled the lower rates but was unable to do so. None of them seemed to have any effect and I'm not sure how to enable them.
That being said it flew wonderfully.

My LHS sells a 300mah 35c 2 cell 'Lectron Pro' (see pic) that is virtually the same dimension as the stock battery and only 3 dollars more. It has a UMX connector and they assured me it would work well in my UM Stryker and my friends Mig-15.
It is slightly longer, wider and thicker but worked OK. The C of G was not an issue but slightly ahead of the stock bats. Worked well but need more flights to test flight times and performance. My scale says it's 1 gram heavier than the stock battery but I admit it's just a kitchen scale.

I am eager to try the prop. you mentioned. Do I need the adapter for smaller than 4mm?
Last edited by Sun Eagle; Feb 02, 2013 at 11:11 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:48 AM
Germany, HE, Wiesbaden
Joined Jan 2013
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAround View Post
You just did by posting but the neater way is to look at the Thread Tools, just under all the
page numbers at the top.
1000tx-working. GOT IT
harald.doerr is offline Find More Posts by harald.doerr