HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:18 AM
United States, TN, Gray
Joined Nov 2010
154 Posts
Nice vid Realgambler. Are the upright boomerangs always a faster spin? The couple of times I've gotten an upright it seems to spin a bit faster. $75 is tempting for a backup emergency Stryker. Ya know, I'd like to see a sale on the 180's big brother sometime before spring....
jumna is offline Find More Posts by jumna
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:08 AM
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,585 Posts
So is the balance charger that comes with it any good?
GBLynden is offline Find More Posts by GBLynden
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:30 AM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,088 Posts
I use it, very convenient if you have a 12v power supply, you can get one that works at staples or Walmart or something. I think it works well, all of my batteries charged using it lived up to and beyond expected lifespan.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:38 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,273 Posts
I use mine as a travel charger.

It works just fine and I trust it not to damage my batteries, however, without a readout to know how many mAh have gone back in I cut my flights quite short so as not to risk going over 80% discharge.

Tony
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:44 AM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,088 Posts
If it had a voltage digital readout I would not care about old 2-4s balancing celectrix anymore, also ability to set charge current like on their mcpx and mossie chargers, that would make me perfectly happy. Two ports.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:59 AM
Bozos Live Here
Joined Dec 2012
101 Posts
I apologize if this has been covered before but after doing searches and reading many pages I could not locate exactly what I was looking for.

I bought a UM Stryker last night. Besides a bent control horn, to my horror I realized that the Battery/Plane has some kind of funky connector type on it that won't connect to my Turnigy charger. No warning of this was given on the box, on the website, by my LHS, etc.

1. What is the name of this type of connector?
2. Is this a proprietary Parkzone thing?
3. If not, where can I purchase bats that are setup with this connector already?
4. Can I purchase an adapter so I can charge this battery on my normal chargers?
Sun Eagle is offline Find More Posts by Sun Eagle
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:02 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Eagle View Post
I apologize if this has been covered before but after doing searches and reading many pages I could not locate exactly what I was looking for.

I bought a UM Stryker last night. Besides a bent control horn, to my horror I realized that the Battery/Plane has some kind of funky connector type on it that won't connect to my Turnigy charger. No warning of this was given on the box, on the website, by my LHS, etc.

1. What is the name of this type of connector?
2. Is this a proprietary Parkzone thing?
3. If not, where can I purchase bats that are setup with this connector already?
4. Can I purchase an adapter so I can charge this battery on my normal chargers?
It's called a UMX connector. It's only used on Horizon Hobby products (E-Flite, Parkzone). You can purchase batteries from many third party now, and they will come with the right connector. Hobby King (cheap), Hyperion, or if you want some homemade and very light package, check RCBabbel here on this forum. Sure enough, you can also purchase adapters, either for charging on your Turnigy charger) or for converting batteries (JST to UMX). For that, just google "umx adapter" and you should find quite a few. But quickly, Gleen, at RC-connectorsDOTcom is pretty good. RCBabbel is also selling some. And even Hobby King is selling some. Otherwise, dig around, there's quite a few place selling adapters. I highly recommend that you buy a parallel charging adapter, which will allow you to charge up to 8 batteries at once. (You can still charge only a single battery if you want, but eventually, you may have to charge a lot more! )

Some people also simply replace the connector on the airplane itself. But trust me, if you start flying those little UMX airplanes, you may end up with a few of them, so it's up to you. They really seem to like that connector, since they even started using them on the new heli mCPx BL that just came out.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:03 AM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,705 Posts
1. You know, not sure what the "official" name of the connector is called, but I've gotten to know them as Micro Connector as well as the JST-PH Charge Connector???
2. No, oops, my apologies, guess it is a HH thing, sorry...... It's the only products I fly so wasn't sure 'bout that one!?!
3. HobbyKing has the batts with the connector on it already, or you can do what some of us here has done and contact RCBabbel here on the forums & he'll get you a 2s 240mAh batt also with the proper connector for you (I have 4 of his Babbel Batts as well as 4 of his 1s 180mAh batts, LOVE 'em!!!)
4. I use this to charge my micro batts with my ThunderPower charger:

http://www.progressiverc.com/paralle...beast-umx.html
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Last edited by rcoconut; Jan 19, 2013 at 10:06 AM. Reason: words added
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:06 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumna View Post
Nice vid Realgambler. Are the upright boomerangs always a faster spin? The couple of times I've gotten an upright it seems to spin a bit faster. $75 is tempting for a backup emergency Stryker. Ya know, I'd like to see a sale on the 180's big brother sometime before spring....
You can make it spin slower with the rudder, but faster spin usually mean lower descent (and it's much cooler to look at!). I usually spin fast, then, if I want to land it, I simply inverse the rudder at the last few seconds, so I can slow down the spin enough (a lot) and land it without ripping anything.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:15 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,273 Posts
Flew mine today in the snow!

Numb fingers stopped play before any mishaps, good job as the grey sky was causing orientation issues...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:27 AM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,705 Posts
Hey Silent, would this help ya out during the cold months??

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ap_Ready_.html
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:41 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,273 Posts
I've got a mitt on it's way, it'll probably get here in time for summer!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:45 AM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
I've got a mitt on it's way, it'll probably get here in time for summer!
LOL, awe man, isn't that the way it always goes......
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:55 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
That Tx glove is the most awesome thing for winter flying, but sadly, it's hard to launch the Stryker with one hand, then, quickly re-insert the hand into the glove and reach the Tx quickly. If you have somebody else to launch it for you though, then, it's a must. Otherwise, it's better to fly something that doesn't need handlaunch (Clean/frozen runway, or skis). Sure enough, it's a MUST in any cold country.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:13 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
That Tx glove is the most awesome thing for winter flying, but sadly, it's hard to launch the Stryker with one hand, then, quickly re-insert the hand into the glove and reach the Tx quickly. If you have somebody else to launch it for you though, then, it's a must. Otherwise, it's better to fly something that doesn't need handlaunch (Clean/frozen runway, or skis). Sure enough, it's a MUST in any cold country.
Just launch with your left. You have all the time in the world to get your left hand back in there if you've got your right hand on the stick.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq