HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:50 PM
Canada, QC, La Prairie
Joined Dec 2012
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
Gabriel, some questions.

Have you cut and taped and unlocked all of the elevator and rudder throw on the stratos? Do you fly with the virtual instructor system off? Do you completely fly on high rates?

Honestly, the stryker is one of the worst as a second plane. Its a 3D plane, its tiny without AS3X so its twitchy as a mosquito. You CANNOT make a mistake. The first thing that will happen(if you can launch it correctly, hardly anyone launches it succesfully the first couple times) is that your gonna push the aileron to turn, she'll go upside down and you'll nose in and break the plane in half.

The stryker is a high performance craft, one little crash and the performance and stability is at stake, with the stratos you can have a puzzle, glue it and it flies fine. You NEED aileron experience, did you say if you have a sim or not?

Beginners often dont want to buy beginner planes to learn to fly, but if you skip those you may never fully enjoy this hobby.
If you think you're gonna get bored of the T-28, get something else with ailerons, get a ultra micro that Parkzone makes EXCEPT for the stryker. If you are SO adverse to getting a T-28, get a Sukhio SU-26 XP, or the Mustang.

Dont mean to sound like im being harsh on you, but i take this seriously as this is a surefire way to get frustrated and leave the hobby. The UM T-28 is perfect for you, that plane is a HELL alot of fun, I know becuase i own one, even though i fly 3D and pattern ships and can push them to their limit with precision, the little T-28 is still a lot of fun to me.
I am flying the Stratos with all the " flying aids" removed and the high rates. I find it much easier, for this type of plane, to control everything myself and I haven't crashed in a while. I am considering buying a flight sim to practice during winter time. I am not the type of person who doesn't like to take advice. I sincerely appreciate all the advice I can get and I may look at an easier plane to begin with, but at 89$, I just couldn't resist buying the Stryker 180
Gabriel P is offline Find More Posts by Gabriel P
Last edited by Gabriel P; Dec 18, 2012 at 04:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:58 PM
Canada, QC, La Prairie
Joined Dec 2012
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyRCs View Post
Assuming you're getting another Tx,
I want to mention Gabriel that using Low Rates along with Expo is a big help.
This limits the travel of the elevons to help prevent overcorrecting errors.
I maiden every plane on low rates and work my way up as I feel more comfortable.
Some people don't like low rates. They simply use a ton of expo instead.
I like to limit the travel because in a panic I'll go to yanking on the stick.
Expo is no help at all at full stick movements.
Very easy to understand. Thank's for the tip
Gabriel P is offline Find More Posts by Gabriel P
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:18 PM
Got more toys than my kid
USA, CA, Fremont
Joined Sep 2004
3,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
I finally got to try Macr0t0r's spm program. My first hand launch went into the dirt! (Not Mac's fault, just needed some up-trim.) Then flew fine. With the new program, the 'falling leaf' stunt was great. The extra elevator travel did the trick. But I noticed my snap rolls were less snappy, and the inverted frisbee's were noticably slower spinning. After I landed, I realized it's probably the way the rudders don't travel equally any more. The one moving outboard travels a lot farther than the one travelling inboard. I think you did that for better knife-edges, Macr0t0r? If so, I'll try it again, otherwise, I think I'll go in and give full rudder deflections again.

I'm still coming to terms with the speed brake feature. Definitely slowed it down, but I think it caused it to pitch up, too.

Thanks again for all the work Macr0t0r!
Sorry for the late response; I've been spending time doing "Christmas Stuff." When choosing between "browsing RCGroups" and "RC tinkering," I generally pick the latter!

I'm surprised that the rudder response was reduced. In my testing, it actually helped a little since deflecting the "inside" rudder more provided more drag to the inside. Also, it slightly reduces the pitch-up tendency of applying rudder at higher speeds. However, I can see that this may reduce thrust deflection at low speeds. I wonder how hard it would be to change that mix using the rudder dual-rate switch.

Yes, it pitches up quite violently with the air-brakes. However, I don't want to mix that out since the pitch up is gone as soon as it slows down. If I mix in down-elevator, then we won't have as much up-elevator for the harrier. Besides, with good timing by coordinating it with the elevator, you can use the air-brakes to nearly flip in reverse during a downward's dive. Makes for a pretty neat effect when you are diving downwards, and then it suddenly flips upwards in place and powers back up! (However, as my busted nose can attest, you do not want to mess that up at too low of altitude.)

- Jim
macr0t0r is offline Find More Posts by macr0t0r
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:56 AM
Australia, SA, Tailem Bend
Joined Jun 2012
93 Posts
My Maiden. So I would class myself after 8 months & starting with an Apprentice,Stryker F27Q, Beast (all still going)& a couple of other smashed up planes :-),, a very average intermediate. So got my Stryker 180 a few days ago & as I use a DX6I I took the cover off to swap the 2 aileron ports, this is when my stupidity started. While doing that some how I broke off the rudder port on the reciever, so while I was chasing around & getting info on how I could mix the rudder into the gear port I came up with this brilliant idea of hooking up the beast reciever with AS3X into the Stryker. Now obviously I'm a bit thick when it comes to this stuff but it all seemed to be great until I got it into the air.Very quickly I learnt that the AS3X doesn't work real well when u have elervons hooked up & if some of the plugs are in different ports the gyros may even be working in the wrong direction, which ment after about 2 seconds it face planted itself into the ground snapping off the nose section. So back home glued it up & set up the rudder to gear mixes (thanks to Air Power & Free Chip for your help) & went back for another go. Now I had no wind at all & this is the best micro plane I have flown, absolutley loved it. Rolls might be a bit slow but as I have already used up my mixes it will have to do (unless anyone has another idea) To Gabriel !!! get at least a DX6I & get out & fly this thing, it flies great slow or fast, just make sure u cut out about a cm of foam so u can move the battery back ( did the same thing with my big Stryker) Also by reading most of the threads it is the hand launch that stuffs most people up,,,,, This is how I was taught with a mini P51 & I have never gone wrong, except when I try with gyros connected to a 180 :-))))))) Set you throttle at about 60% (bit more with big stryker) launch with your left hand, it doesn't have to be hard & at about a 30 deg angle, with your right hand hold a small amount of up elevator & a slight bit of right aileron to help with the engine torgue roll. When u launch it just follow through with a down motion & the prop gets nowhere near your hand & your right hand is already on the stick to make any adjustments, hope that helps
Sorry for the long post guys
Cheers Mark
P.S. Am I the 1st idiot to try AS3X on a Stryker :-))
Marty66 is offline Find More Posts by Marty66
Last edited by Marty66; Dec 20, 2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:26 AM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,405 Posts
Well i seem to have a problem with my f27q right out of the box. The rudders wont move at all when i give rudder input. Im using a dx7s...anyone know what the problem could be?
electricrc68 is online now Find More Posts by electricrc68
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:35 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,109 Posts
What Tx setup are you using?
Have you tried downloading the official Spektrum .SPM file for the Stryker?

Tony
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LemonRx V3 stab in Parkzone Ka8
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:54 AM
Joined May 2011
4,405 Posts
Im using
Wing: elevon
Tail: normal

No i have not tried the spektrum file...do you need it to fly, or is my tx setup just incorrect?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:21 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,109 Posts
Nope, that should work just fine...

Tony
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:26 AM
Joined May 2011
4,405 Posts
Oh..well then idk what the problem could be......thanks anyway.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:30 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,109 Posts
Me neither...

Suppose your best bet would be to download the .SPM file and use that (it is free!) or you could just make a new blank template with no mixes at all and just the elevon wing mode.
There could be an unknown mix affecting the rudder.

Have you checked inside the plane? It could just be the rudder plug has come off the board...

Tony
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:02 PM
Joined May 2011
4,405 Posts
Ah okay thanks. Nope havent checked the inside, but i will download the file first.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:41 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,109 Posts
Hope that sorts it for you.

I don't like opening a perfectly good airplane, I've been meaning to remove the rudder Y lead so I can have some airbrakes. It can wait for now...

Tony
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:17 PM
Joined May 2011
4,405 Posts
Yeah thats the main reason im trying the file first...i hate opening a perfectly good plane!
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:46 PM
Joined May 2011
4,405 Posts
Well the file seemed to fix the problem! Thanks for letting me know about it btw.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:49 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,109 Posts
No problem!
RCG Plus Member