HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:34 PM
Joined Dec 2007
624 Posts
definitely not a great plane to go to coming straight from a trainer,but by no means impossible.

best bit of advice i could give i think is if you can,get the dx6i (the cheapest of the decent computerized tx's) and use that on the 180. you can dial in a more suitable amount of expo and travel adjust and make the 180 as tame as possible.

also,it sounds to me like you have already been bitten by the bug and will want more planes after the 180. so with the dx6i you will have all the radio you need for up to ten models.

if you cannot stretch to the 6i then im with the others, plenty of height,keep just enough throttle on to keep it airborne and take it very easy on the sticks,this thing is very responsive and it takes very little movement to get it to change direction.

the dx5e has a buddy box port so if you know anyone with a spectrum tx you could get them to buddy up with you,you will learn faster and your plane will have more chance of a longer life while you are getting to grips with it.

good luck and let us know how you get on.
mrmurder1975 is offline Find More Posts by mrmurder1975
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:40 PM
Canada, QC, La Prairie
Joined Dec 2012
6 Posts
Thank you guys for your input, but now your scaring me!

I know I will have to be very careful at first ( unfortunately I like speed!!! ), but I am willing to take the risk.

Since I live in Canada ( Québec ), I won't be flying my Stryker until spring, so I'll consider getting a flight sim to practice my skills. I also realize that the DX6i would be a more suitable choice then my D5Xe. I'll keep an eye open for deals on a new TX.

Right now, I have a superb firebird stratos that I've been flying. It's quite easy to fly and to repair..........
Gabriel P is offline Find More Posts by Gabriel P
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:47 PM
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Oct 2008
4,113 Posts
the stryker isnt a bad plane but you really need a larger open space to start flying it. Keep it high and at 1/3-1/2 throttle till you get used to it.
verticalspark is offline Find More Posts by verticalspark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Shooting my AR pistol
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:04 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
2,063 Posts
Gabriel, I think it's safe to say if you're having to repair the Stratos, you better wait on the Stryker! By all means go ahead and get it, but I would just wait to fly it at least until you find your Stratos a cake walk, if not wait until you've got an aileron plane after the Stratos under your belt. The Stryker can be pretty quick and require some quick reflexes to get out of situations if you're doing any aerobatics. Like Top-Gun-Tom-Cruise said, (Add Tom Cruise acting here!) 'you don't have time to think out there, if you think, you're dead!'
xmech2k is offline Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:01 AM
Joined Dec 2007
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel P View Post
Thank you guys for your input, but now your scaring me!

I know I will have to be very careful at first ( unfortunately I like speed!!! ), but I am willing to take the risk.

Since I live in Canada ( Québec ), I won't be flying my Stryker until spring, so I'll consider getting a flight sim to practice my skills. I also realize that the DX6i would be a more suitable choice then my D5Xe. I'll keep an eye open for deals on a new TX.

Right now, I have a superb firebird stratos that I've been flying. It's quite easy to fly and to repair..........

living in canada im guessing space wont be a problem when learning the fly the stryker! lucky so n so the sim is a very good idea too.plenty of time to practise before spring.

you sound pretty confident you can do it,so id say, just go for it! the worst case scenario is you crash it and break it (been there,done that!) but with some glue,unless its in 50 pieces,it can be repaired and fly again.

Although flying a quick plane like the 180 is down largely to skill,a large part of it is also confidence. i think if you approach it thinking you are going to wreck first time out then thats exactly what you will do. you obviously have some muscle memory from flying the trainer and driving the trucks,which is an advantage to most newbs,so that can only help with orientation and control. your biggest hurdle with the 180 will be its speed...but that can be overcome simply by keeping the throttle low and making small inputs on the elevon.

i still stand by the dx6i has a very good investment,it will make the 180 100% easier to fly.and once you are used to it you can turn it up to 11 and really enjoy what this plane can do.

15% expo that the 5e will give you is not much.this plane will still be very lively on that setting. hell, i dialled in 45% on my first flight with it and it was still very lively!

but as long as you are prepared to swallow the pill if you trash it first flight then go for it. if you can get the first throw out of the way and get through the battery then chances are you will be ok as you will know what to expect on the 2nd go...from then on,it will be a walk in the park (ish!)

be aware though,once you nail the 180,you will hear the siren call of its big brother!! but the good news is,if you can fly the little one,you can fly the big one too! (and vise versa) i can testify to the fact they both fly very very similar (think the big one edges it for me though)
Old Dec 18, 2012, 07:33 AM
Canada, QC, La Prairie
Joined Dec 2012
6 Posts
[QUOTE=mrmurder1975;23557614]living in canada im guessing space wont be a problem when learning the fly the stryker! lucky so n so the sim is a very good idea too.plenty of time to practise before spring.

you sound pretty confident you can do it,so id say, just go for it! the worst case scenario is you crash it and break it (been there,done that!) but with some glue,unless its in 50 pieces,it can be repaired and fly again.

Although flying a quick plane like the 180 is down largely to skill,a large part of it is also confidence. i think if you approach it thinking you are going to wreck first time out then thats exactly what you will do. you obviously have some muscle memory from flying the trainer and driving the trucks,which is an advantage to most newbs,so that can only help with orientation and control. your biggest hurdle with the 180 will be its speed...but that can be overcome simply by keeping the throttle low and making small inputs on the elevon.

i still stand by the dx6i has a very good investment,it will make the 180 100% easier to fly.and once you are used to it you can turn it up to 11 and really enjoy what this plane can do.

15% expo that the 5e will give you is not much.this plane will still be very lively on that setting. hell, i dialled in 45% on my first flight with it and it was still very lively!
QUOTE]

I am pretty confident, but I will take your advise and go for the D6Xi to have the possibility to adjust the expos. It should help quite a bit and when I'm familiar with this plane it's going to be easy to use the same Tx for bigger toys!!!
I absolutely have to get the sim because I won't be able to wait until spring to fly my new Stryker.
Last edited by Gabriel P; Dec 18, 2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 07:41 AM
Canada, QC, La Prairie
Joined Dec 2012
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
Gabriel, I think it's safe to say if you're having to repair the Stratos, you better wait on the Stryker! By all means go ahead and get it, but I would just wait to fly it at least until you find your Stratos a cake walk, if not wait until you've got an aileron plane after the Stratos under your belt. The Stryker can be pretty quick and require some quick reflexes to get out of situations if you're doing any aerobatics. Like Top-Gun-Tom-Cruise said, (Add Tom Cruise acting here!) 'you don't have time to think out there, if you think, you're dead!'
I like the Tom Cruise quote
I know the Stratos is an easy plane to fly but I only crashed it when trying to do silly stunts at low alt........on my second flight...... Not a good idea with a plane that has a turning radius of a semi truck and no fligth experience under my belt. I am going to respect the Stryker a bit more than this one.
Last edited by Gabriel P; Dec 18, 2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:31 AM
Joined Dec 2007
624 Posts
a wise decision gabriel. i look forward to the spring and your reports on how its going with the stryker! fyi, just got back from flying mine.....and crashed it! sometimes its speed still catches me out and i consider myself a intermediate pilot (with a dx6i! lol)

no great damage though,just the little nub on the leading edge of the wing has broken off. could not find it so just chucked it up again, did not effect the performance as far as i could tell. gotta love this plane!
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:27 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
2,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel P View Post
...but I only crashed it when trying to do silly stunts at low alt........on my second flight......
OK, I understand now. It's so hard to get the whole picture in a forum sometimes. I'm glad you didn't take my post the wrong way. Sounded like you were getting ahead of yourself. Hope spring won't be too far away for you! You'll have a blast!
xmech2k is offline Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:37 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,259 Posts
Gabriel, some questions.

Have you cut and taped and unlocked all of the elevator and rudder throw on the stratos? Do you fly with the virtual instructor system off? Do you completely fly on high rates?

Honestly, the stryker is one of the worst as a second plane. Its a 3D plane, its tiny without AS3X so its twitchy as a mosquito. You CANNOT make a mistake. The first thing that will happen(if you can launch it correctly, hardly anyone launches it succesfully the first couple times) is that your gonna push the aileron to turn, she'll go upside down and you'll nose in and break the plane in half.

The stryker is a high performance craft, one little crash and the performance and stability is at stake, with the stratos you can have a puzzle, glue it and it flies fine. You NEED aileron experience, did you say if you have a sim or not?

Beginners often dont want to buy beginner planes to learn to fly, but if you skip those you may never fully enjoy this hobby.
If you think you're gonna get bored of the T-28, get something else with ailerons, get a ultra micro that Parkzone makes EXCEPT for the stryker. If you are SO adverse to getting a T-28, get a Sukhio SU-26 XP, or the Mustang.

Dont mean to sound like im being harsh on you, but i take this seriously as this is a surefire way to get frustrated and leave the hobby. The UM T-28 is perfect for you, that plane is a HELL alot of fun, I know becuase i own one, even though i fly 3D and pattern ships and can push them to their limit with precision, the little T-28 is still a lot of fun to me.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:17 PM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Assuming you're getting another Tx,
I want to mention Gabriel that using Low Rates along with Expo is a big help.
This limits the travel of the elevons to help prevent overcorrecting errors.
I maiden every plane on low rates and work my way up as I feel more comfortable.
Some people don't like low rates. They simply use a ton of expo instead.
I like to limit the travel because in a panic I'll go to yanking on the stick.
Expo is no help at all at full stick movements.
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:18 PM
Australia, SA, Tailem Bend
Joined Jun 2012
94 Posts
Hi guys, need a bit of help & this is probably a really stupid question from a bit of a newbie. I have a DX6I & was swapping the plugs on the reciever when some how I managed to break the rudder plug off of the reciever board. So do I need to buy another reciever ?? or can I some how do a mix which lets me use the spare plug ( elevator ??) not being used on the reciever
Marty66 is offline Find More Posts by Marty66
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:43 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,259 Posts
You can, you need to mix rudder to channel 5.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:43 PM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
I don't have answers but at least you Can fly without rudders.
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:46 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,259 Posts
You can fly w/o rudders, all previous strykers were that way. But flying this ship without rudders, you might as well peel the Quique somenzini sticker off.