HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:40 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,216 Posts
HH always puts a high price and then gives a lower price to always make it seem on sale. You could say the vapor bnf was always 130, but it has always been "on sale" for 100.
airpower is online now Find More Posts by airpower
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:58 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,930 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pouncer View Post
This is apparently the real "on sale" list:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/content/...eekly-specials
+1

Good find. Wonder if they update that page every week.
pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:53 PM
Got more toys than my kid
USA, CA, Fremont
Joined Sep 2004
3,676 Posts
Okay, I completed my testflight this morning with "Heli" mode to handle elevon mixing. Works perfectly! Plenty of roll and pitch without fear of over-driving the servos. I'll post my SPM later tonight when I get home.

The split-tails is fun to play with. With the outer tail deflecting only 45% as much as the inner tail, I seem to get just a little more rudder, but with a lot less pitch-up tendency. The airbrakes are certainly effective, but I'll need to cut the foam and move the CG back to be able to flip it. With full split, I can harrier straight down like a leaf. Pretty useful if you have to land between trees.

I think I'll use the "flight mode" switch to enable a mode that mixes elevator with the air-brakes for some interesting flips. Or, I could create a mode where the lower 25% of throttle is all off, and it just controls the air-brakes. I have 3 flight modes, so I could really mess around with this!

In any case, it worked great. I'll post what I have and let you guys mess with mixes. I'll fiddle with it some more after I repair my kids' planes.

- Jim
macr0t0r is offline Find More Posts by macr0t0r
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:35 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
4,048 Posts
I need to stop reading this cool thread, I'm wanting the new Edge540 180 and now you guys have me spending more coin on this one!
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:10 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by macr0t0r View Post
With full split, I can harrier straight down like a leaf. Pretty useful if you have to land between trees.

- Jim
The stock stryker does this great right out of the box. But I do realize we all like different stuff - some just like to try different mods and see what happens - so enjoy. But I find the stryker very striking right out of the box. For sheer fun and versatility for the dollar, they can't be beat thus far.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:14 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,216 Posts
Try doing an elevator with elevator and the brakes, or a parachute with brakes and elevator, id be very interested in how that turns out.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:36 PM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Aug 2011
1,081 Posts
How did you set up the rudders air brakes? Doesn't the board act as a y-harness?
copperbricks is offline Find More Posts by copperbricks
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:29 PM
USA, CA, Fremont
Joined Sep 2004
3,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by copperbricks View Post
How did you set up the rudders air brakes? Doesn't the board act as a y-harness?
Nope, they actually have a Y-harness adapter plugged into the rudder channel! I took that out, plugged one rudder servo directly into the rudder channel, and then plugged the other servo into the fifth channel, which is also the xport. It has 4 pins, so you have to plug the servo to the left side. The AR6400LBL manual shows how to do that. With that, I was able to toss aside the adapter and do all the mixing in my DX8.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:45 AM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,216 Posts
I have a plane to open up tonight...
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:00 AM
USA, CA, Fremont
Joined Sep 2004
3,676 Posts
SPM of Stryker using Heli Swash mix

Okay, here it is! At least, here is the first version.

The intent: to provide full pitch and roll control without over-driving the servos when you corner the sticks. Also, provide "split rudder" control so that we can play with air-brakes.

To use this, you need to swap some servo plugs on your receiver. You should look at the receiver manual so that you can tell which plugs I'm talking about:
http://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/F...-Manual_EN.pdf

1. Peel off the tape on one side and fold the canopy over. It's easier if you peel off the left side and fold to the right.

2. Move the Elevator(Ch3) servo plug to the Pitch(Aux1/Ch6) channel.

3. Unplug the Y-Harness from the Rudder channel and unplug the two servos. Plug one servo (I think it is the right rudder) directly into the rudder channel.

4. Plug the other rudder servo (left side, I think) into the X-Port Gear(Ch5) socket. With the motor leads facing up, you plug the servo into the LEFT three pins. Right pin stays exposed.

There! Don't close up the hatch until you've confirmed the controls with the new SPM file.

5. Load the SPM file that is attached. A couple things to know:
- You'll need to physically adjust the rudder linkages to be a hair longer since I've offset the rudder servos by 30 counts. This gives us just a little more outward travel. Useful, since we won't be moving inwards nearly as much.
- The left topside trim toggle will adjust the left rudder individually. This way, you can line up the two rudders when the temperature changes without having to physically adjust the linkages.
- The "air brakes" are only controlled with the flap switch for now. I'll do fancier mixing later.
- The elevons are now limited to prevent damage, but the rudders are NOT. Don't bang the rudder when you have full air-brakes on.
-I'm old-school, so high-rates are UP, and low rates are MIDDLE. I only need two rates, so the DOWN position is unchanged.

So, how does this all work? Well, as we're painfully aware, the DX8 does not have the "absolute limits" feature. No, that feature is apparently worth a $300 premium to get the DX18. But, there is the "E-Ring" feature in Heli-mode that will limit control throws to prevent overdriving or binding the swashplate. This is the same as absolute limits, but Spektrum was a bit forced to put this into heli mode or risk getting eaten alive by Futaba and Hitec (which already has this feature). If you use the 135deg swash, that puts the aileron and pitch servo at 45deg, which is nearly identical to controlling elevons.

E-Ring is kind of weird in that it is not limited by servo travel. That is just to "sync up" servos, so I left that alone. It is limited by what percent of roll and pitch is given in the swash settings. I currently have it set to give just a little more elevator than roll. When you corner the sticks, it moves the servo to 115 counts of travel, which is the physical limit of travel for these servos. You'll notice that increasing the dual-rates beyond 100% will have no affect since they are limited by this E-Ring function.

Now, the split tail requires three mixes. One mix ties the rudder channel to the Gear channel. I've set the travel limits on the two channels to 100% and 45% so that they swing out more than in.
The other two mixes is so the AUX3 (flaps) will push the rudder and gear channels outward. I tied the AUX3 channel to the flap switch.

Notice that I re-assigned the gear channel to the top left trim adjustment. Not only does this allow you to easily sync up the rudders, but it prevents a catastrophic "landing" if you accidentally flip the gear switch during a low pass.

In any case, let me know if you have issues. I'm not sure if my trim settings are saved to the SPM file, so you may have to re-center your trims. Have fun with your fre "upgrade" to the little Stryker!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:02 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
2,050 Posts
Genius, Macr0t0r! Thx for pushing the outside of the envelope! Can't wait to do this to my Stryker!
xmech2k is online now Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:07 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,045 Posts
Gosh... I'm going to have to glue my Stryker back together and put the motor back in it! I just abandoned it when I crashed it last... a long time ago. This looks like too much fun!

BTW... I've become a 3S freak when it comes to my UM's. I won't fly them any other way. I guess the Stryker brick is a "hit and miss" smoker when it comes to 3S, unlike the Beast which hardly ever fries. Anyone ever try 3S on this puppy recently? Though, as I remember, with good 2S batts and a 4040 one hardly needs 3S.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:24 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,757 Posts
I used a Stryker board in my 3Sbach with good results

Personally I think that because the Stryker is a Pusher Prop configuration the board has a much harder job staying cool without the propwash...

Like you say though, a well setup 4040 Stryker is all you need so I leave the 3S madness for my Beast3SD and 3Sbach

Tony
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:59 AM
USA, CA, Fremont
Joined Sep 2004
3,676 Posts
With 3S, you'd need to reduce the prop pitch a little. The Stryker is already more "propped" than the Beast (you can tell by the reduced flight time). Of course, this thing already has a 1:1 power:weight ratio. You really need more?
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:48 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by macr0t0r View Post
... You really need more?
Nnnnope! Like I said in my post... as I remember it one hardly needs 3S. This is going to be fun.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq