HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:00 AM
USA, CA, Westlake Village
Joined Sep 2004
1,799 Posts
My bet is an AS3X version of this model is forthcoming. Horizon has them on sale at $99 right now! Been contemplating one of these for awhile; at that price point it is very compelling...
lovespicyfood is offline Find More Posts by lovespicyfood
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:33 AM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by macr0t0r View Post
Change of subject:

So, I've been spending waaaay too much time messing around with control mixes on my Micro Stryker. I have a DX8 and have been concerned that if I dial in the amount of pitch and roll that I want, then I'll overdrive the servos when I corner the stick (for an inverted flat-spin or other maneuver). I can actually hear the servo's whine jump louder when I exceed the the limits. I checked some of the Parkzone manuals and saw this text pertaining to those linear servos:

Unfortunately, the DX8 does not have "absolute limits" to prevent this from happening with the elevon mix. You have to have the DX10t or te DX18 for that feature.

But, the helicopter programming DOES have an "E-Ring" feature that prevents servos on a swashplate from overdriving when you corner the sticks! So, my Stryker thinks it's a heli now! I set it for 135deg swashplate control. Then I opened the Stryker and moved the elevator servo to the pitch channel. In the Swash control, I zeroed out the collective so that nothing changes when I move the throttle stick, but I was now able to adjust the roll and pitch throws so that I can have nearly max elevator and roll, yet if I corner the sticks, they do not go beyond 115% (the limit of the linear servos). Perfect!

Since I had it open, I removed the Y-split adapter and connected one rudder servo directly to the rudder channel, and then connected the other rudder servo to the Ch5/Xport channel. Spent a little time mixing Aux2 with those two channels, and I now have split-rudder control! My rudders now move twice as far to the outside as inside, and I now use the flap switch to enable two levels of "split-rudder" air brakes.

Wish me luck, gents. This should be a wild test-flight on Wednesday! If all goes as planned, I'll post my DX8 SPM file.

- Jim
What you want to look for is travel adjust, the travel adjust will be 100 percent unless you change it, so you really dont need to worry about it.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:50 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespicyfood View Post
My bet is an AS3X version of this model is forthcoming. Horizon has them on sale at $99 right now! Been contemplating one of these for awhile; at that price point it is very compelling...
I bet not
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LemonRx V3 stab in Parkzone Ka8
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:41 PM
Joined Jul 2006
581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
What you want to look for is travel adjust, the travel adjust will be 100 percent unless you change it, so you really dont need to worry about it.
No. The travel after the elevon mix can over 100 percent and travel adjust is useless in this case and only the same like D/R.
microheli is offline Find More Posts by microheli
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:36 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
1,859 Posts
I think what Microheli is trying to say is, with the elevator and aileron travels set at 100% each, when you give a mixed input (Pushing the right stick into any corner) they add up to push the servo over 100%. I experienced this on my Dx8, and had to reduce my throws to correct for it. I'll be awaiting Macr0t0r's results eagerly!
xmech2k is online now Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:48 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,276 Posts
any tricks to setting this one up on a DX6i ?
thanks
brushless55 is online now Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:02 PM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
any tricks to setting this one up on a DX6i ?
thanks
Yes,
The 180 manual details swapping 2 Rx leads for the DX6i. Not a big deal to take care of.

Also, I suggest using the following method for All delta wings on a DX6i.
It corrects a programming error in the DX6i elevon mixing.
This applies to new Tx's also as the issue has never been addressed.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=35
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:11 PM
Got more toys than my kid
USA, CA, Fremont
Joined Sep 2004
3,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyRCs View Post
Yes,
The 180 manual details swapping 2 Rx leads for the DX6i. Not a big deal to take care of.

Also, I suggest using the following method for All delta wings on a DX6i.
It corrects a programming error in the DX6i elevon mixing.
This applies to new Tx's also as the issue has never been addressed.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=35
Actually, that issue was address on the DX8 and higher with Airware 2.04. Unfortunately, the DX6i can't be updated easily.

- Jim
macr0t0r is offline Find More Posts by macr0t0r
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:09 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
I bet not
I wouldn't bet against it. Everyone who says "it flies fine without AS3X" isn't seeing the benefits of moving the CG way back... which you can do with AS3X.

Boomerangs and a bunch of other tricks would be a lot easier with a rearward CG, and I'm sure Quique knows this.

$92 @ WT is a closeout price. Just like we saw on the 4-site, the Beast, etc.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:55 PM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,948 Posts
Maybe they're bringing out a UMX Carbon-Z Scimitar AS3X 180 or 280.
TODD
I R Irv is online now Find More Posts by I R Irv
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:19 PM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Aug 2011
1,083 Posts
now that would be sweet! with thrust vectoring of course. Maybe even 360 degrees. Imagine the possibilities.
copperbricks is offline Find More Posts by copperbricks
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:16 AM
Wanton construction
Stockholm Sweden
Joined Sep 2006
956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
I wouldn't bet against it. Everyone who says "it flies fine without AS3X" isn't seeing the benefits of moving the CG way back...
And I still don't

Anyway I just ordered a Stryker in case you are right and it's being discontinued.
Note that they slashed the price with $100 of the full size Stryker as well.
Is this a clear out to make space for updated versions or is it simply a new price point reflecting the fact they're not AS3X equiped?
Doesn't make sense to have older tech that cost the same as the new.

Hard not to speculate, the latest offerings, Mini Vapor, 280 size Edge and 3 channel co-ax heli (I mean, really?) are all non-AS3X and they have to top the current line-up..
Pouncer is offline Find More Posts by Pouncer
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:30 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pouncer View Post
And I still don't
Every modern fighter jet build since about 1979 has a negative stability margin and won't fly without gyro's.

If you want Fighter like performance, you have to have a fighter like CG.

Its where the world is going.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:58 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,688 Posts
2 GREAT flights today!! Winds were 2-3mph on the surface & blowing more up at altitude. A red tail falcon was soaring a bit higher as was another type of cool lookin bird, so I decided to cruise up there & check 'em out. Than I decided to chop the power..... AWESOME!!!!

Had a blast! Why did I never think of soaring her before?? DUH!! I fly a Radian Pro but obviously for some reason I think only the RP can soar/thermal??

Got over 15mins of flying with her and the birds!! I even had more fun with her in the wind than my trusty Eflite MiG 15 EDF that I've had slicing thru 12+mph winds!!
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:30 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pouncer View Post
And I still don't

Anyway I just ordered a Stryker in case you are right and it's being discontinued.
Note that they slashed the price with $100 of the full size Stryker as well.
Is this a clear out to make space for updated versions or is it simply a new price point reflecting the fact they're not AS3X equiped?
Doesn't make sense to have older tech that cost the same as the new.

Hard not to speculate, the latest offerings, Mini Vapor, 280 size Edge and 3 channel co-ax heli (I mean, really?) are all non-AS3X and they have to top the current line-up..
oh man, a 100bucks off the full size one?

interesting to see what's going to happen next....
brushless55 is online now Find More Posts by brushless55