HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 04, 2012, 04:17 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,079 Posts
Its a different manuever that can be done by 3D planes, you go into a positive elevator, then into a negative elevator, back to positive, you have to keep it along the pitch axis and at a nice and consistent rate.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2012, 06:06 PM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Aug 2011
1,079 Posts
a video perhaps?
copperbricks is offline Find More Posts by copperbricks
Old Nov 05, 2012, 12:21 PM
United Kingdom, England, Southport
Joined Jan 2011
142 Posts
Well landed in a huge puddle today... pulled the battery and went back to the house. Had the bright idea of putting it close to the heater and well just an fyi the servo covers melt fast lol. Everything seems to be ok tho just not going to fly there until it drys up. Finally found an sbach 342 here in the UK so hopefully get that tomorrow. LOVE the stryker tho! I tried the 4040 and its much faster so I may have too play around with the throttle curve because I don't like flying slow with so little throw....
Dannyboy85 is offline Find More Posts by Dannyboy85
Old Nov 06, 2012, 10:09 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,079 Posts
Did amazing 3D with this ship today.
Really loving parachutes, tic tocs, blenders, spins with power than cut power and then restarting it, very cool.
However, ive been practicing a new one that i have never seen mentioned with the stryrker Q.
The cobra manuever!!
Using very similar concepts as the full scale ones.

Gio fast, above half, or full, and dive down a little, not a lot, just a shallow dive. Cut throttle and full up elevator(high rates), the nose will go up and she will instantly bleed her airspeed.
Now here's the tricky part. If you do nother the nose will deep stall straight up and rotate straight down. Right as the nose reaches the top or whenever is the right time to recover, give alot of down elevator and SLOWLY add throttle. If you add too much throttle the torque will flip you over. You should hopefully come out level at a very slow cruise. Good luck!
Saab J35 Draken trainers doing the Swedish Cobra Maneuver (3 min 8 sec)

Cobra maneuver (0 min 19 sec)

BTW, the cobra manuever was first done with no thrust vectoring and no artificial stabilization. Just uses extreme elevator throw, momentum , and natural stability to complete the manuever.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 05:05 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,079 Posts
Well, after practicimg with her again today, you really dont need power to recover when your nose up in a cobra, just use down to bring the nose diwn and power away. One manuever that is very fun and very easy is kind of like the parachute, go vertically down for a hundred or two feet, and 50-15 feet above the ground give up and shell do a beautiful elevator landing at your feet! The almost instant deceleration right above the deck and landing is amazing
Old Nov 09, 2012, 12:59 AM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,079 Posts
The price has dropped to $100!
HH originally said that the Beast was the only previous plane they would re-release with AS3X. But then they released the Sbach 3D, probably because the market was screaming for it. So this means discontinuation, but with replacement or not?
Old Nov 09, 2012, 01:13 AM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,571 Posts
Ultimate Hobbies.com has it for $94!!!! I didn't think the price would drop any lower!!!
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Nov 09, 2012, 08:21 AM
United States, TN, Gray
Joined Nov 2010
141 Posts
Be nice to have a small backup emergency Stryker. Maybe it won't count as a re-release if next it's a Stryker 190 with 3 axis gyros...
jumna is offline Find More Posts by jumna
Old Nov 09, 2012, 08:55 AM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
2,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
The price has dropped to $100!
HH originally said that the Beast was the only previous plane they would re-release with AS3X. But then they released the Sbach 3D, probably because the market was screaming for it. So this means discontinuation, but with replacement or not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut View Post
Ultimate Hobbies.com has it for $94!!!! I didn't think the price would drop any lower!!!
Wow!!!
I need one now for sure
brushless55 is online now Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:15 AM
Wanton construction
Stockholm Sweden
Joined Sep 2006
954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumna View Post
Be nice to have a small backup emergency Stryker. Maybe it won't count as a re-release if next it's a Stryker 190 with 3 axis gyros...
Horizon has stated there won't be any Delta/V-tail mix support on the AS3X system so that rules a stabilised version out, but time will tell I guess.

Honestly the 180 Stryker doesn't need any gyros, it does very well in wind as is.

What I'd like to see is an EPP or EPO version, I just hope the replacement isn't just a slightly larger Stryker 280..
Pouncer is offline Find More Posts by Pouncer
Old Nov 09, 2012, 12:16 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,079 Posts
None of us thought the beast or sbach needed 3 axis gyros!
It is surprisingly stable and flies absolutely perfect without it, however it would add alot of advantages.
-huge wind tolerance
-straight tracking at full speed no matter the CG
-more rearward CG for better aerobatics
-MUCH less twitchy at highs speeds, always have felt that the little stryker is very twitchy at high speeds
-the AS3X would have almost no affect on the extreme aerobatics becuase the authority of AS3X decreases as you move the sticks to full.
-again, less twitchy!
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:40 PM
Wanton construction
Stockholm Sweden
Joined Sep 2006
954 Posts
Quote:
It is surprisingly stable and flies absolutely perfect without it, however it would add alot of advantages.
-huge wind tolerance
-straight tracking at full speed no matter the CG
-more rearward CG for better aerobatics
-MUCH less twitchy at highs speeds, always have felt that the little stryker is very twitchy at high speeds
-the AS3X would have almost no affect on the extreme aerobatics becuase the authority of AS3X decreases as you move the sticks to full.
-again, less twitchy!
You could be right of course, but to reiterate, Horizon said no elevon mix on the AS3X, don't remember the exact wording but it sounded definitive.
And I still think the Stryker is a poor choice for gyro stabilisation, just think of the induced roll when giving full rudder and the potential chaos when the system gives pretty much full opposite aileron to compensate, leaving it with precious little resources to combat the pitch change that causes..
Nor will it help in hover or a knife edge since the Stryker is incapable of either.
Even AS3X can't make it into something it isn't.

Of course they could fit it with an AS2X system, leaving out the rudder..

I wouldn't put it past Horizon to come out with a slightly larger UMX Stryker sharing components with the latest Quique design, the 540 Edge with a 280 motor on 3S and 3.5 g rotary servos. Spectacular performance and way out of my comfort zone, I like to be able to fly in the neighborhood park with people around and the 180 Stryker is at the very limit of what I dare bring to that.
Pouncer is offline Find More Posts by Pouncer
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:02 PM
COPENHAGEN DENMARK
Joined Aug 2007
260 Posts
Why not put a elevator on top of the fins over the rudders., and a as3x plus and extra servo for the elevator. No mix

John
johnkielsen is online now Find More Posts by johnkielsen
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:31 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
2,840 Posts
Quote:
and I'm one of many who still think this
I still prefer my Non as3x Sbach over the 3D
brushless55 is online now Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:38 PM
COPENHAGEN DENMARK
Joined Aug 2007
260 Posts
And I like the AS3X very.

John
johnkielsen is online now Find More Posts by johnkielsen