HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:08 PM
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Joined Nov 2000
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
If you took it down to below 6 volts, that was probably the end wasn't it? Didn't think you could drag lipo cells below 3 volts each without damage.
That was discharging down to 3.3V per cell, not 3.3V for the 2s pack. I watched the voltage march down from 3.7 or so to 3.3, so it was clearly discharging it correctly.

(You made me nervous so I checked the manual for the iCharger 206B. The 3.3V discharge target is clearly documented as a per-cell voltage. The iCharger won't let a LiPo discharge past 3V per cell, and it monitors each cell individually)

I've got a (long) post in the battery forum with more details. Right now I'm slowly charging it back up. 500 mAh and counting, no heating, no puffing, and it's slowly inched it's way above 4V per cell.

At this point I'm just enjoying the recovery project.

The other thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1697116
pmeyer is offline Find More Posts by pmeyer
Last edited by pmeyer; Jul 22, 2012 at 11:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2012, 03:14 AM
Searching Field
Joined Oct 2011
64 Posts
Let's look at our new video :
Micro Stryker 180 vs. Radjet 420 : Speed battle !

http://www.matterhorns.org/pages/vid...sion-2012.html

Have Fun & Fly. Over.
DOCFIGHT is offline Find More Posts by DOCFIGHT
Old Jul 24, 2012, 03:42 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,522 Posts
Sweet

Shame the Stryker don't like 3S or I'm sure it would have kicked ass!!
Either that or just put on a 4040 ....
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:59 AM
United States, OR, Sherwood
Joined Jan 2009
288 Posts
How to do the flat spin?

My UM180 flys OK except It has pretty weak rudder response. the throws are full range. My attempts at doing a flat spin result in little more than a spiral. Battery placement all the way back and forward doesn't help. Is there a post about how to set up/ execute the flat spin?
JJ460 is offline Find More Posts by JJ460
Old Jul 27, 2012, 12:42 PM
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Joined Nov 2000
23 Posts
First real day of flying. Three batteries, about 12 minutes of flying time (still calibrating the battieries) maybe 6 flights (1-4 minutes).

The second hand launch ended hard in the grass before I got control and broke off the nose. I didn't have any glue with me, but a piece of electrical tape held it on just fine. I'll gorilla glue it for next time.

The first flight I felt I was having to really fight to keep the nose down. Turned out the elevator was trimmed full up and I hadn't noticed in my pre-flight check. It flew much better with neutral trim.

On my last couple of flights I was having fun going slow, with very low rates, just working on control. It was quite docile, although a bit jumpy since I was flying in 10mph winds.

The biggest difference between this and my previous planes: it's much harder to keep orientation straight. I can't really take my eyes off the plane to glance at the timer or check for pedestrians/dogs. If I'm high enough I can apply some control, watch the reaction, and figure out orientation, but I have to be a couple of mistakes high for that to work.
pmeyer is offline Find More Posts by pmeyer
Old Jul 27, 2012, 12:46 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
1,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ460 View Post
My UM180 flys OK except It has pretty weak rudder response. the throws are full range. My attempts at doing a flat spin result in little more than a spiral. Battery placement all the way back and forward doesn't help. Is there a post about how to set up/ execute the flat spin?
Check here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...r#post19101495
xmech2k is online now Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Jul 27, 2012, 01:32 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
Quote:
You may also want to check this thread for upright boomerangs. Those are very hard to do though, but if you ever try any of the methods there (there's more than one!), you'll end up doing a lot of inverted boomerangs! Always remember to bail out very high, as it take a while to stop the spin... But if you ever master the upright boomerangs, then, you can also simply land while doing it (it's kind of cool....).

Here's an old video showing some...

UM Stryker upright boomerang landings

P.S.: For the UM Stryker, I highly recommend the freesbie toss. You can see how to hold the Stryker just before I do the first launch in the video above.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Jul 27, 2012, 03:09 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
1,960 Posts
Cool video! I've yet to perfect the upright boomerang, they're still like plain old spins, with the nose pointed down quite a bit. Sounds like you still have a little throttle on for yours?

An alternate launch technique: with my Dx6i (And newer Dx8) I slave the elevator to the gear channel, so with 'gear down', I get a little up trim. Then I can throw it into the wind, and she'll glide forever, giving time for your hand to get back to the radio before giving any power. Just have to remember to 'retract the gear' once you're up and away. And I'm not claiming to have invented the technique, I read it here somewhere here.
xmech2k is online now Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Jul 27, 2012, 03:46 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
Cool video! I've yet to perfect the upright boomerang, they're still like plain old spins, with the nose pointed down quite a bit. Sounds like you still have a little throttle on for yours?
Normally, not with the ultra-micro. I believe you hear a mix of my DX7 being noisy (truly, since I bought it... It make noise, and I think it's related to the LCD refresh rate) and the servos acting up on the Stryker (trying to center)... On the other side, I do use the throttle a lot with the full size Stryker, particularly because the spinning start VERY slow, and I want things to move/spin faster. You can go easy 25% throttle to start the upright spin on the big Stryker.... Who knows, maybe I'm adding some on the small one as well, but normally it's not needed.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 12:34 PM
United States, OR, Sherwood
Joined Jan 2009
288 Posts
How todo upright boomerangs?

Using the method referrenced earlier I was able to do the boomerang inverted. I noticed that to fly inverted takes about 3/4 down elevator, even with the batt all the way back. upright needs some up elevator for level flight too. Has anyone tried moving the CG back or changing the motor angle to get a neutral balance?
I bring this up because I am wondering if that issue is related to the always inverted boomerang behavior? ideas JJ
JJ460 is offline Find More Posts by JJ460
Old Aug 03, 2012, 06:19 PM
Joined Apr 2011
16 Posts
spectrum AS6410NBL

Hey guys,I just saw this stand alone as3x unit that spectrum has available.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...c-SPMAS6410NBL
Can this unit be used with an elevon model like the stryker 180?
755 bob is offline Find More Posts by 755 bob
Old Aug 03, 2012, 06:58 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
Quote:
Using the method referrenced earlier I was able to do the boomerang inverted. I noticed that to fly inverted takes about 3/4 down elevator, even with the batt all the way back. upright needs some up elevator for level flight too. Has anyone tried moving the CG back or changing the motor angle to get a neutral balance?
I bring this up because I am wondering if that issue is related to the always inverted boomerang behavior? ideas JJ
As you may have read in the upright boomerang thread, there's many recipes, but no matter what, it's not easy at all, until you finally get one, then a second one, etc. Keep trying, it's not easy. I can do it with pretty much any C.G. now, but if my memory is right, a aft C.G. does help a bit at least for the method I'm using... As I said earlier, doing the inverted boomerang is VERY easy... Don't expect the upright to be that easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 755 bob View Post
Hey guys,I just saw this stand alone as3x unit that spectrum has available.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...c-SPMAS6410NBL
Can this unit be used with an elevon model like the stryker 180?
No, it's programmable, but only by using some templates provided by Horizon Hobby, and all those templates are for typical airplanes (warbird, 3D, plain,etc, but no elevons....)
Old Aug 03, 2012, 07:08 PM
Joined Apr 2011
16 Posts
I did see that.I am thinking that elevon can be programmed with the dx-7.
Why not download a standard plane to activate the as3x then mix the elevons with the tx??
Old Aug 03, 2012, 07:47 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 755 bob View Post
I did see that.I am thinking that elevon can be programmed with the dx-7.
Why not download a standard plane to activate the as3x then mix the elevons with the tx??
Basically, on the AS3X receiver, the gyros are active on the rudder, elevator and ailerons output and it's built in the receiver. Let say some outside force is pushing the airplane down, the gyro will give some up elevator to compensate. If a wing try to go up, the gyros will give some down on the aileron on that side.

If you program your Tx for elevons, your transmitter (in elevon mode) then send a signal to two servos (typically, elevator and aileron), so they both go down or up if you give some elevator, and they both act as ailerons if you give some ailerons. Now, go with the same force as above. Something push the airplane down, the onboard gyro will only send a up signal to one output, the elevator output. But that won't raise both elevons since it's only one servo on one output. The airplane would bank instead of going up as it should.

I'm pretty sure eventually, HH will come up with a board that will allow elevons. But for now, we are stock with normal aircraft configuration if you want to use AS3X...
Old Aug 03, 2012, 08:48 PM
Joined Apr 2011
16 Posts
Thanks Gambler,you are absolutely correct.I have been messing with the unit and it is just as you describe.Oh well looks like my sbach is getting an upgrade instead of the stryker...I had to try though..