HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 25, 2012, 11:03 PM
Pan Pan, Pan Pan, Mayday
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
3,495 Posts
Yeah, side arm here too!

was worried big bro would be a bit too heavy for that though...
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nearly done!!
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2012, 12:48 AM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,579 Posts
Not at all!! With a larger prop she'll float outta your hands, with the stock prop it's still easy but not as easy as the 7x6 or 7x5. Something to think 'bout though for your next bird!
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Jun 26, 2012, 04:37 AM
Pan Pan, Pan Pan, Mayday
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
3,495 Posts
Maybe...

I prefer planes to have wheels though. Would like a Carbon Z Scimitar with Retracts but can't justify the cost to myself

Still thinking about an Edge or Slick etc to work up to from my PZ Extra
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 26, 2012, 06:01 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
I prefer planes to have wheels though.
That's funny, the full size PZ Corsair was the first thing I've flown that had wheels in a long time, almost forgot how to take off!!

and I hear ya 'bout the Scimitar, that is pricey!
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Jul 03, 2012, 12:11 PM
United States, TN, Gray
Joined Nov 2010
141 Posts
Maybe I should switch over to the side-arm launch too. I just cut up my knuckle a little bit on a hand launch, and now the motor is stuttering!

Is there a way to tell if it's the motor or the esc? Is stock the way to go to replace one or both? Thanks
jumna is offline Find More Posts by jumna
Old Jul 03, 2012, 12:17 PM
Pan Pan, Pan Pan, Mayday
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
3,495 Posts
Usually the ESC will cut power to the motor if the prop gets stuck. That 'should' not damage either component!

Your propshaft may have bent though. Might be worth opening her up and just checking all the connections are good.

RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 03, 2012, 12:20 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
1,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumna View Post
Maybe I should switch over to the side-arm launch too. I just cut up my knuckle a little bit on a hand launch, and now the motor is stuttering!

Is there a way to tell if it's the motor or the esc? Is stock the way to go to replace one or both? Thanks
Ouch! Sorry to hear it. I wouldn't know how to tell which part is bad in this case, but just wanted to comment that this is my first and only (So far) hand launched plane, and I've always launched it with the throttle off, and have time to get both hands on the tx before giving her throttle. I have a Dx8 and used the trick of slaving the elevator to the gear switch to give some up trim when launching.

We have a couple of guys at the field with Funjets(HIGH-powered ones!), and they always launch with the motors running, and it always makes me nervous. I can't stand the sight of blood!

Did she hit the ground hard after the accident? I've seen so many planes hit things with their props and the motors were fine that I wonder if the knuckle-strike would be enough to ruin motors or electronics. Maybe just a loose wire from an impact? Good luck, and let us know what you find.
xmech2k is online now Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Jul 03, 2012, 01:11 PM
United States, TN, Gray
Joined Nov 2010
141 Posts
Thanks for the ideas. Xmech, the motor sounded strange right after the strike and it went down like it had no throttle and broke the nose off. A nice guy I know has a spare motor I can try, but it won't be till this weekend. The wiring & esc look fine tho. Just annoying that such a little strike can bring it down. I took the prop adapter off & the shaft doesn't look bent...
Old Jul 03, 2012, 02:49 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,400 Posts
Also agreed that side toss, or frisbee toss is the best thing. With the small one, and the big one. Truly strange that just one single hit like that would do that, but who knows, something may have been bordeline from day one, and waiting for just that to happen. Have you checked the motor wiring? Sometime, just one loose wire can cause stuttering.

As long as you're ok, everything else is fixable!

Piece!

No, that was not the small one, but it's big brother! Guess what, no more overhand toss for me!!
RealGambler is online now Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Jul 03, 2012, 02:58 PM
United States, TN, Gray
Joined Nov 2010
141 Posts
Ouch, that's some blade action there. At my club they only launch the big ones with no throttle, safer but maybe trickier to not crash.....

I put an ohmmeter on the motor wires, and it's open circuit from the red wire to the others. Not sure how to take apart the motor tho. Maybe I could cut into the heatshrink at the base and see if that red wire has come loose. Can the motor be pulled apart somehow, aside from hi-speed crashing?
Old Jul 03, 2012, 04:55 PM
Pan Pan, Pan Pan, Mayday
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
3,495 Posts
Are you sure its not the ESC wiring? Like has been said these can have issues from the factory, I didn't realise that I had a problem with my Sbach until I fed it 3S. The motor to ESC conector block was very loose, 2S was no problem but 3S went mad and kept cutting out. I traced the fault and its been great ever since!

ps, Strykers have a bad record on 3S. The Sbach has an identical brick but I think the extra cooling from the conventional puller prop helps...

Tony
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 03, 2012, 04:57 PM
Pan Pan, Pan Pan, Mayday
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
3,495 Posts
Double post
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SilentPilot; Jul 03, 2012 at 06:25 PM.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 05:36 PM
United States, TN, Gray
Joined Nov 2010
141 Posts
SilentPilot, I forgot to say I had tested the esc with a brushless heli motor, and it spun. Some stuttering too, but it must have been me having to hold the male connections together, walkera & eflite just don't mix!

I notice one of the esc to motor wire solder joints is dry, but hopefully it's not a problem...
Old Jul 03, 2012, 06:24 PM
Pan Pan, Pan Pan, Mayday
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
3,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumna View Post
SilentPilot, I forgot to say I had tested the esc with a brushless heli motor, and it spun. Some stuttering too, but it must have been me having to hold the male connections together, walkera & eflite just don't mix!

I notice one of the esc to motor wire solder joints is dry, but hopefully it's not a problem...
Sounds like that IS the problem to me!!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 03, 2012, 08:54 PM
United States, TN, Gray
Joined Nov 2010
141 Posts
That dull joint will likely let go sooner or later. I think I found what was troubling the motor: a broken copper stator wire on the side facing the prop. If I solder it, the open circuits go away, but after much work I can't get a solder joint to work that is small enough to not hit the rotor housing. Sheesh. I think it was a loop sticking out brushing the rotor housing, and it finally gave way.