Old Jun 19, 2012, 05:02 PM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
Nice idea

Is that still work in progress?
I see the fus is missing and thought that might be what you were meaning by CG issues. The Stryker 180 can be nose heavy sometimes so your mod would help with that, now I see though that there is no board or battery!

Where do you plan to put them or is the fus going back on?
Yep still working on it but gettin close. No fuse just a reg wing, which is harder to get enough weight in the nose. That's why I moved the motor towards the nose a little over an inch. The RX is going to sit flat on top between the motor and battery bay, hopefully I'll get enough weight in the nose.
TODD
I R Irv is online now Find More Posts by I R Irv
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2012, 06:30 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,665 Posts
I thought it didn't look right at the back!

You should be ok. Most people think this is nose heavy to start with...

I nearly got some of those yellow HK servos for my Sbach but reports are that they don't like 3S
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Jun 22, 2012, 01:25 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jun 2006
273 Posts
I may have damaged my motor. Crashed nose stright into light pole. Hard enough for the outrunner bell to fall off. Next flight, was WAY underpowered. Pulled bell off and cleaned with rubber eraser. Seemed like I cleaned off some marks. Next flight was much better but I dont think it had the same power as before.

Should I replace with another stock motor or is there another one out there that I should consider if I am going to spend some money replacing the motor?
bladefan is offline Find More Posts by bladefan
Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:04 PM
Just wanna fly!
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2008
1,012 Posts
Took the Stryker out yesterday, did some slower flying

UM Stryker F-27Q 180 6/21/2012 (2 min 55 sec)
grovey is offline Find More Posts by grovey
Old Jun 23, 2012, 05:51 AM
Chicago Northwest subs
Joined Jan 2007
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladefan View Post
I may have damaged my motor. Crashed nose stright into light pole. Hard enough for the outrunner bell to fall off. Next flight, was WAY underpowered. Pulled bell off and cleaned with rubber eraser. Seemed like I cleaned off some marks. Next flight was much better but I dont think it had the same power as before.

Should I replace with another stock motor or is there another one out there that I should consider if I am going to spend some money replacing the motor?
I've got a Stryker motor I'm not using. I'll let it go for 20 bucks. It has hardly any time on it. Under an hour. I put a Mighty Midget 13/6/9 CS on mine! The stock motor is actually pretty good on these. PM me if you want it. Now that I think of it, I've got the prop and adapter as well. 25 bucks for all of it shipped CONUS. Saves you 13 bucks and shipping.
MR2
minirips2 is offline Find More Posts by minirips2
Old Jun 25, 2012, 02:18 AM
Shine On !
Northern Ohio
Joined Feb 2003
1,012 Posts
Anybody breaking prop adapters? When I land the prop insists on clocking to the 6 and 12 position causing the prop adapter to snap right at the prop hub. A machined aluminum part would be nice here. I think it's the stress of the mounting screw pulling on the adapter with the 4x4 gws props....not to mention there's more prop hanging down when it clocks in that direction. I can do flybys and bump the throttle to try to move the prop to a more friendly 3 and 9 position, but that gets annoying after a while.
AtomHeartMother is offline Find More Posts by AtomHeartMother
Old Jun 25, 2012, 04:19 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,665 Posts
Are you doing Elevator landings?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 25, 2012, 05:44 AM
Shine On !
Northern Ohio
Joined Feb 2003
1,012 Posts
Quote:
Are you doing Elevator landings?
Yes, but I broke one on a normal landing as well... Been flying wings, etc.. for a long time...I can set them down pretty soft. Just seems to me the adapter is brittle/weak. I may play around with the 4x4 prop hub...take it down some and see if I can get some of the screw pulling stress off the prop adapter.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 06:30 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,665 Posts
Hmm...

I always land with an Elevator and never had any trouble.
My only problems are launching the Stryker, if it were easier then I would have bought the big version too
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 25, 2012, 07:21 AM
Joined Sep 2010
4,036 Posts
On the prop adapters - Search these forums for member ICU - or go to shapeways stores - He has essentially unbreakable prop adapters for a few dollars each. I can't swear by it, but know guys that have tried every way imaginable to break one of these on Sbach's, Beast's, CC, Stryker without success.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Jun 25, 2012, 07:26 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomHeartMother View Post
Anybody breaking prop adapters? .
Just in case, are you landing on grass? Never had one broke on me (mostly elevator landings, but straight and boomerang landings as well).
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Jun 25, 2012, 02:25 PM
Shine On !
Northern Ohio
Joined Feb 2003
1,012 Posts
Always land on grass RealGambler, but with the weeds, etc.. at my field the grass can be pretty tough. I forgot about shapeways bobly, thanks ! I have his site bookmarked.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 03:48 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomHeartMother View Post
Always land on grass RealGambler, but with the weeds, etc.. at my field the grass can be pretty tough. I forgot about shapeways bobly, thanks ! I have his site bookmarked.
You may have hit a bad batch of prop adapters... I remember when the Beast came out, a bunch of reports came in that the prop adapters were fragile. I jumped on the bandwagon then, and ordered 3 of those adapters to make sure I would never miss a minute of flight. Guess how many prop adapters I have left today... THREE (yep, all of them are still in their original little bag).... Have not used one since, and I have about 5 airplanes with those prop adapters. Those reports where more than likely true, so only explanation would be that every now and then, there's a weaker batch of plastic that goes through the production line.... I think you'll eventually get a good one and it will last you a very long time. Sure enough, as other have suggested, if you want to be over with it, buy one of ICU's prop adapter. Those should be unbreakable!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Jun 25, 2012, 04:55 PM
Shine On !
Northern Ohio
Joined Feb 2003
1,012 Posts
I was thinking the same thing RealGambler...that there may have been a brittle batch from the factory. I have 2 oem adapters left and ordered a few from shapeway. Like you, I hate missing out on a fly day due to minor mechanical issues. The baby stryker is such a hoot to fly !
Old Jun 25, 2012, 10:24 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,762 Posts
Quote:
My only problems are launching the Stryker, if it were easier then I would have bought the big version too
Ever since I switched from the over hand launch to the side arm launch life has been easier, as well as safer! After somebody on the full-size Stryker got his forefinger chewed up really bad by a prop strike during launch I switched to this real fast and I have NOT looked back! I launch his 'lil sister the same way but I go full-throttle. Big brother is 50-60% throttle and a different prop but stock motor:

Parkzone Stryker F-27Q Easy Hand Launch (5 min 6 sec)

IMHO this is the best way to launch by far! Re-think the full-size Stryker, you won't be sorry!!!

p.s.- I'm left handed so I hold the Stryker with my left hand on the right wing root, so I throttle up & than place my right hand on the right stick, don't even have to toss her, with the APC 7x6Sport she cruise right outta your hand
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Last edited by rcoconut; Jun 25, 2012 at 10:27 PM. Reason: post script added