HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 03, 2012, 02:50 PM
SlingWinger
San Bernardino, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
1,708 Posts
I just bought a very slightly damaged micro Stryker for a good price. I only have a DX5e with no expo.

The control rods are in the innermost hole of the control arms, which the manual states is correct.

Since I don't have expo, should I move the rods further out from the surface? I'm used to the more sedate planes, and am a bit anxious about over-controlling on my first flight with this little cutie.
dayhead is offline Find More Posts by dayhead
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2012, 04:56 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayhead View Post
I just bought a very slightly damaged micro Stryker for a good price. I only have a DX5e with no expo.

The control rods are in the innermost hole of the control arms, which the manual states is correct.

Since I don't have expo, should I move the rods further out from the surface? I'm used to the more sedate planes, and am a bit anxious about over-controlling on my first flight with this little cutie.
Not sure a DX5e can drive this plane, as it uses ELEVONS (a mixing to allow the same control surfaces on the Delta wing to act as both elevators and ailerons) and I was of the impression the DX5e does NOT have that wing / mix setting available to it.

I could be wrong ...

Marlin
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
Old Jun 03, 2012, 06:35 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
2,060 Posts
Yep, the Dx5e has elevon mixing. Page 11 in the manual.

In other news... I just got lucky and won one of these at our club's jet rally today! (Lucky me, I never won a plane before!) Can't wait to try it out. It was way too windy for me to try today. I'll be browsing the threads for tips and to learn how to do the boomerang maneuvre!
xmech2k is offline Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Jun 03, 2012, 07:47 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,778 Posts
I'm back in the micro Stryker club! It was RCBabbel who posted the link to Ultimate Hobbies where the micro Stryker sells for $119 in post #3284 My LHS price matched it & I could not resist using my credit from the Carbon Cub SS I returned to pick up the UM Stryker (I took back 2 Carbon Cub SS where the servos froze on me). ALL control surfaces move smoothly & are NOT freezing up (like the previous Stryker I got from the Classifieds here). I didn't have the heart to open her up to get the Air Brake set up but I can live without that. Hope to maiden this week with my Babbel Batts!! Thanks Roger!! Got the GWS 4040 on her as well so I'm all set to jet!!!!!
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Jun 04, 2012, 08:44 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
2,060 Posts
Well, got to fly her twice this morning. Got her all set up last night, including swapping the elevon connectors on the rx, per instructions. Took a couple of tries to get the hang of hand launching, since I've always flown off a paved runway, but I think i've got it now, and the durable Stryker took it all in stride! Hardly used full throttle at all so far. Now to pick up a couple of extra batteries!
xmech2k is offline Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Jun 04, 2012, 09:31 PM
Just wanna fly!
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2008
1,012 Posts
Took my Stryker out for a burn tonight. 2S 240 BabbelBatts and a freshly installed GWS 4040 prop.

As I get to the field, I drop the plane and the tip of the right elevon tears. Fortunately not completely off. Did the plane care? Nope

Only flew 2 battery packs though. Glued the elevon, and ready for next time!
grovey is offline Find More Posts by grovey
Old Jun 04, 2012, 10:33 PM
Wanaka, NZ
Joined Mar 2009
601 Posts
Quote:

BTW, DX5e has default expo built in. about 30% i think from memory.
qman is offline Find More Posts by qman
Old Jun 06, 2012, 01:21 PM
Too much is just not enough...
Joined Jan 2009
1,093 Posts
When you reduced the throws to 98%, did you do it with dual rate, or end point? I want to make sure and not overdrive the servos. (using dx8)
I set my travel up using dual rate, and low rates are around 60% and I used ~95% for high rates.
I didn't see a throw spec. for the "corners". I thought I heard a little buzzing before I reduced rates. Will end point keep the servos from being overdriven if set less than 100%?

Thanks!
Woody_99 is online now Find More Posts by Woody_99
Last edited by Woody_99; Jun 06, 2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 03:01 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,789 Posts
I have been wondering the same myself! So far no trouble but I don't see any point pushing my luck - the sticks spend a lot of time at the corners when I'm throwing it around.

I believe the DX8 has an 'Electronic E-Ring' function, its a Heli thing to stop the Cyclic servos being overdriven by the certain Collective/Cyclic inputs. I don't see why we shouldn't be able to use this to protect Stryker servos...

Tony
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Jun 06, 2012, 03:14 PM
Just wanna fly!
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2008
1,012 Posts
Rates are a percentage of your end points.

So if you set your end points to 98% travel, and rates to 95%, then the throw will be 95% of 98%.
grovey is offline Find More Posts by grovey
Old Jun 08, 2012, 11:14 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grovey View Post
Rates are a percentage of your end points.

So if you set your end points to 98% travel, and rates to 95%, then the throw will be 95% of 98%.
Thanks for the feedback. I should probably ask these radio questions in the radio forum, but it pertains specifically to the Stryker, so here goes one more...

At 98% end point, will that also work during any mix type situation, as in the stick being in the corner?

Thanks again!
Old Jun 08, 2012, 11:57 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,789 Posts
The danger with the Stryker is the Elevon Mix which can overdrive servos. Helis have a similar problem with their Collective/Cyclic Mix. I believe the DX8 has the capability to dampen out the corners, beware though because you might need max Aileron and Elevator at the same time!

I setup mine with mechanical max throws then checked the corners and backed off a couple of % A&E. This has so far produced no ill effects even with wild stick banging
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Jun 08, 2012, 01:00 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,093 Posts
I played around with the endpoint adjustment for ail, and then went to the monitor screen. Putting the stick in the corners, I had to reduce the left and right ail end point to around 75% in order for the monitor to stay below 100% with the stick in the corner.
I didn't get a chance to measure the throws, but I'm going to guess that they will need a change in dual rate.
I guess I'll work on the end points to ensure that I don't overdrive the servos, and still acheive throw specs.
Any info on deflection distance with elevon max travel?
Old Jun 09, 2012, 10:50 AM
Joined Sep 2010
4,067 Posts
Quote:

Do some searches, recently there have been posts on these forums explaining how to get some expo set up in the DX5e. Horizon put the info out, but I can't remember which forum it was listed in. Apparently it has always been available in this tx.

Edit: if I did this right, here is the manual that tells how to activate expo in DX4 and 5e transmitters on page 10 or 11
http://www.bladehelis.com/prodinfo/F...-Manual-EN.pdf
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Last edited by bobly; Jun 09, 2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 07:40 AM
Italy, Sicily, Palermo
Joined Sep 2006
871 Posts
I put on mine the GRAUPNER CAM SPEED PROP 4/3 10/8 CM.......What a great prop is faster and more torque than the stock one.
Fits directly.....I don't know if is better or less than the GWS 4040....
FedericoA is offline Find More Posts by FedericoA