SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 18, 2012, 09:39 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,088 Posts
Biggest advice is launching, ive had perfect results by holding the LE and tossing up and forward with lots of throttle.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2012, 09:45 PM
Free crash course available!!!
United States, NJ, Mahwah
Joined Oct 2011
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut View Post
Hey guys, looks like I'll be getting this in a plane trade! I've had her big brother since day one and it is by far my favorite and trusty plane to fly so I'm familiar with what she can do!! Anything as far as a "To Do" list before I take her up for the first time? Besides ordering some Babbel Batts!!! I see a reference to a 4040 prop. I'm guessing a significant increase in performance, anything else to keep in mind? I have a few other micros so I'm also familiar with how delicate the airframe maybe. Thanks in advance
Looks like you are good to go! The little one may not be as stable as the big one in the wind of around 8-10 mph but you know that already, I guess. Don't let it fly very far, its easy to lose sight of this one. The nose is pretty fragile/brittle so you may not want to nose dive. This one floats on 0 throttle very well while landing.

Tell us your experience...
bs_sunil is offline Find More Posts by bs_sunil
Old Feb 18, 2012, 10:05 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
Biggest advice is launching, ive had perfect results by holding the LE and tossing up and forward with lots of throttle.
I'm still a fan of the "over-hand" launch. With her big brother I use a larger prop so she "leaps" outta my hand during with no problems! So far I've been lucky with launches & I'm expecting the same with baby sister! Thanks for the suggestion though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs_sunil View Post
Looks like you are good to go! The little one may not be as stable as the big one in the wind of around 8-10 mph but you know that already, I guess. Don't let it fly very far, its easy to lose sight of this one. The nose is pretty fragile/brittle so you may not want to nose dive. This one floats on 0 throttle very well while landing.

Tell us your experience...
Sounds good! Didn't think 'bout the wind conditions though. Will take that into consideration for sure! Hope to pick her up next week, I'll be sure to let you guys know how it goes!! Thanks for the help, much appreciated!
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Feb 18, 2012, 10:13 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,569 Posts
Quote:
Hey guys, looks like I'll be getting this in a plane trade! I've had her big brother since day one and it is by far my favorite and trusty plane to fly so I'm familiar with what she can do!! Anything as far as a "To Do" list before I take her up for the first time? Besides ordering some Babbel Batts!!! I see a reference to a 4040 prop. I'm guessing a significant increase in performance, anything else to keep in mind? I have a few other micros so I'm also familiar with how delicate the airframe maybe. Thanks in advance
R,

You are in for a UM treat!

Quality batts, GWS 4040 prop is all it takes.
She is faster than any ultra-micro that I've ever flown.
Super easy to transport.
A personality unlike any other UMX out there.

Enjoy,

rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2012, 10:19 PM
MJF
Waiting Fer Da SEFF
United States, GA, Perry
Joined Jul 2010
1,319 Posts
Wasn't there a post on here about the homemade servo covers ??
MJF is offline Find More Posts by MJF
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: got another plane
Old Feb 18, 2012, 10:25 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
R,

You are in for a UM treat!

Quality batts, GWS 4040 prop is all it takes.
She is faster than any ultra-micro that I've ever flown.
Super easy to transport.
A personality unlike any other UMX out there.

Enjoy,

rc
I'm getting my laundry list for ya Roger!! Gotta get ready for the Mig 15 and the Carbon Cub SS!! As well as more batts for my other UM fleet including my Corsair and I never thought of using your batts with the P51!!!!
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Feb 18, 2012, 11:11 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
After a while, you won't have any problems pulling out of upright boomerangs... It may take a little bit more space than inverted, but not that much. You'll get used to it quickly. I can now literally stop the spin, then apply power so the Stryker not only get out of boomerang fast, but also go where I want it to go as well while exiting. Wait for the ice to melt, landing it while in a boomerang is quite a show too, and not much harder to do. Simply have to know exactly when to stop the spin, and let it land itself like a elevator landing. Need nice soft grass though, as it's still landing with a bit more speed than a typical elevator landing.

I have the big one, but didn't fly it much since I got the small one! They fly exactly alike. What you learn on the small one, you can immediately do on the big one. Power and speed are definitively awesome. And sure enough, the big Q is not scared of wind. Still prefer my little one though, since it's so easy to move that tiny little box around all the time!

P.S.: Even with tons of practice, I still miss the upright boomerang every now and then and end up inverted. Keep you humble!
Thanks for all this, I did the couple upright boomerang landings while still spinning. I have been exiting with FULL DOWN elevator and just stopping spin with rudder, which puts me in a nose down dive which I simply apply power and pull out of. Sounds like I merely need to use rudder to stop the spin then fly out of the elevator ... or let it elevator down to land. Have to try that tomorrow.

Excellent tips RG, and I am encouraged even more now to get the big Q ... can't imagine how fast and much fun that one must be ... though I think I might need more space. This little bird can cross the soccerfield in a BLINK of an eye as it is, can't imagine flying a bigger, faster, badder version in the double soccerfield I fly this one from ... course that would be fun!

Marlin
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
Old Feb 19, 2012, 12:30 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJF View Post
Wasn't there a post on here about the homemade servo covers ??
The stock ones are fine. There was lots of babble about servo covers for the Beast and less so for the Sbach. I just use Stryker servo covers on my other UM's.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Feb 19, 2012, 06:41 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,665 Posts
Silverexpress

Great follow through , congratulations.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3067

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Feb 19, 2012, 06:44 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,453 Posts
Quote:
I'm still a fan of the "over-hand" launch. With her big brother I use a larger prop so she "leaps" outta my hand during with no problems! So far I've been lucky with launches & I'm expecting the same with baby sister! Thanks for the suggestion though.
Exactly like I was thinking... Many hundred full size Stryker launches later, my luck ran down. Have to admit that after so many launches, you "loosen" up too much, and you end up screwing just one launch to remind you that overhand is dangerous. Never trust luck with the big Stryker, otherwise, it's only a question of time!

I do the frisbee toss with the small one even if the propeller doesn't have a lot of bite. And I've started using the leading edge toss with the big Stryker. My scars are all gone now!

RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Feb 19, 2012, 06:47 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Silverexpress

Great follow through , congratulations.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3067

Charles
I second the motion! Love what he is doing so far.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Feb 19, 2012, 11:03 AM
MJF
Waiting Fer Da SEFF
United States, GA, Perry
Joined Jul 2010
1,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
The stock ones are fine. There was lots of babble about servo covers for the Beast and less so for the Sbach. I just use Stryker servo covers on my other UM's.
yeah I lost one of 'em.....long story short...
I made one out of a coke bottle ..(.the bottom of it )
works ok....
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2012, 11:23 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJF View Post
.....long story short...
I made one out of a coke bottle .......
A coke (or Diet Dr. Pepper) can as temporary cockpit-cover replacement:

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Feb 19, 2012, 12:00 PM
MJF
Waiting Fer Da SEFF
United States, GA, Perry
Joined Jul 2010
1,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
A coke (or Diet Dr. Pepper) can as temporary cockpit-cover replacement:

nice
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2012, 12:15 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Exactly like I was thinking... Many hundred full size Stryker launches later, my luck ran down. Have to admit that after so many launches, you "loosen" up too much, and you end up screwing just one launch to remind you that overhand is dangerous. Never trust luck with the big Stryker, otherwise, it's only a question of time!
Nasty! Sorry! I guess it'll catch up with me too. I just figure I apply the same focus and attention to launching the Stryker as I do to full-scale. You never slack off in full scale and I never slack off with models either. If you're not focused on procedure, take a moment, gather your thoughts and concentrate on what you're doing. Recognizing when you are un-focused is key and you already know how to do that with full-scale.

Now watch me be the next finger-bite pic!
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq