Old Jul 31, 2011, 11:51 PM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Hance,

Cool plane! I bet it doesn't care how hard the wind is blowing! I'm thinking that the ol' eyeballs wouldn't be up for that, however.

I have plenty of large & fast stuff that I can fly at the club field, and I have plenty of small & slow stuff, and plenty of small & 'kinda fast for the scale' stuff that I can fly in my yard when the wind is 10 MPH or less. What I don't have is something that can fly in the yard, and still be fun to fly in a 10-20+ MPH wind. Or, something that can handle a 20+ MPH wind, but would still be fun to fly in the yard. I'm hoping that the UM Stryker will be that plane. It should have the speed & wind-penetration, and flying wings can fly very slowly in high-alpha - especially with a little reflex. Plus, I can set up the dual rudders for airbrakes. So, it should be happy flying a slow approach or cutting through a headwind @ WOT.

Joel
I think it will probably handle it fine. I have a 12 inch teensie model flying wing from superflyrc ( the first one ever built in fact) and it's a blast in 20 mph winds. The Stryker 180 and it are pretty similar. I have eleven elevon planes that I can think of off the top of my head and they all handle wind well. I have never had one with rudders I think that's going to change soon though.
Hance is offline Find More Posts by Hance
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2011, 12:06 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hance View Post
I think it will probably handle it fine. I have a 12 inch teensie model flying wing from superflyrc ( the first one ever built in fact) and it's a blast in 20 mph winds. The Stryker 180 and it are pretty similar. I have eleven elevon planes that I can think of off the top of my head and they all handle wind well. I have never had one with rudders I think that's going to change soon though.
Hance,

Thanks for the info. I figured that in general, flying wings should be good in the wind. I was about to get the larger version, and then this one came out. I will most likely end up with one of each. I've been flying RC for over 27 years, but this will be my first flying wing. I'm looking forward to exploring the flight dynamics of the platform. I always wanted one with yaw-control, hence my interest in the two versions of the F-27Q.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 01, 2011, 12:09 AM
Can't get enough
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined May 2010
2,344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hance View Post
Really depends on what you are used to I guess. I fly a Stevens aero adrenaline rush that looks like so

DSCN2190 by Hance1976, on Flickr
It has a 23 inch wing span but a tiny profile so it can disappear really easy and does 80+. The pitch speed with my setup on the adrenaline rush is 122 mph. If the Stryker won't take the wind get one of these they dont care how hard the wind is blowing.
I really don't like that plane..sorry I don't care how fast that goes...that is one ugly chunk o wood.
jabsten is offline Find More Posts by jabsten
Old Aug 01, 2011, 12:51 AM
FPV = Fun Powered Vehicle
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Apr 2011
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
How did you get it for this price???....I put it in my cart and it comes up $159...I am a member of WT and have a huge order coming from them Monday...I've spent about $500 with them in the last couple of weeks...

Kevin
Are you on the buyer club program? If you've spent $200or more you should be. If you haven't here is the help page. Buyers Club Help They are offering free membership for a limited time.

Also make sure your logged in. I show it for $132 with discount.

Cheers

Edit: Sorry link was not working right. It's working now.
LokeyFPV is offline Find More Posts by LokeyFPV
Last edited by LokeyFPV; Aug 01, 2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old Aug 01, 2011, 01:00 AM
7.62x51
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Jul 2010
699 Posts
WOW. This thread has gotten dumb. I hope a new thread is started when it's actually available and there is REAL proof of how it flies, not mathematical guesses. There is already 20 pages, and only about 10 posts worth a damn. Then we get mad at the new guys for not searching in a thread. Can you blame them? I'd start a new post too rather than read about pre release BS, speed theories, and gripes about how PZ should've have made it better from arm chair engineers.

Rant off...

To Chuck and the others who have the inside connections and HH employees, thanks for what you do.
ElIntocable is offline Find More Posts by ElIntocable
Old Aug 01, 2011, 01:10 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElIntocable View Post
WOW. This thread has gotten dumb. I hope a new thread is started when it's actually available and there is REAL proof of how it flies, not mathematical guesses. There is already 20 pages, and only about 10 posts worth a damn. Then we get mad at the new guys for not searching in a thread. Can you blame them? I'd start a new post too rather than read about pre release BS, speed theories, and gripes about how PZ should've have made it better from arm chair engineers.

Rant off...

To Chuck and the others who have the inside connections and HH employees, thanks for what you do.
All pre-release thread are like this. You'll have to get used to it or pull your hair out.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 01, 2011, 08:08 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
All pre-release thread, are like this. You'll have to get used to it or pull your hair out.
So true! It's part of the fun of flying RC. Looking at a new bird and guessing all kind of stuff until we can get our hands and it and verify if we were right, or totally wrong. This one is slightly different though because the big brother is well known, and we know how QQ can be very picky when he design a plane. So, not much else to talk about but speed, and mods!

As usual, we should see at least one more thread when it will come out, the usual mod thread.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Aug 01, 2011, 08:25 AM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,070 Posts
i plan to make 2S from HK mcpx batteries as they appears to be the only ones light enough with mostly proper C rating, although i'm sure there's better solutions that will be tested in the future, this one has a pretty good price/battery ratio =P

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...F-224C226C3B9F (note: this uses my buddy code)
CrashMeUp is offline Find More Posts by CrashMeUp
Old Aug 01, 2011, 10:03 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashMeUp View Post
i plan to make 2S from HK mcpx batteries as they appears to be the only ones light enough with mostly proper C rating, although i'm sure there's better solutions that will be tested in the future, this one has a pretty good price/battery ratio =P
I've been flying one homemade pack in my Beast and Sbach for a little while, and they are ok so far (not enough flights yet to be sure), but not the greatest thing in the world either. They are a pain in the .... to solder. Hyperions are VERY easy to solder compared to those, and people complaint about the Hyperions! I'd bet that the mCP-x Hyperions 250mah would yield better results or very close for not much more, price wise ($3 vs $3.95) and probably give more cycles.... Thinking about it, I have some as well, so maybe I'll build a pack of those, but since I have many 240mah Hyp packs already, I'm wondering if the extra weight will be worth it! (pictures with a 240mah Hyp pack... Extra foamy gorilla glue because I didn't even trust my solders, after only doing it for 30 years... %$$%/&/ Nanotech!)

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...-173-nano2.jpg

Old Aug 01, 2011, 01:26 PM
Can't get enough
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined May 2010
2,344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
I've been flying one homemade pack in my Beast and Sbach for a little while, and they are ok so far (not enough flights yet to be sure), but not the greatest thing in the world either. They are a pain in the .... to solder. Hyperions are VERY easy to solder compared to those, and people complaint about the Hyperions! I'd bet that the mCP-x Hyperions 250mah would yield better results or very close for not much more, price wise ($3 vs $3.95) and probably give more cycles.... Thinking about it, I have some as well, so maybe I'll build a pack of those, but since I have many 240mah Hyp packs already, I'm wondering if the extra weight will be worth it! (pictures with a 240mah Hyp pack... Extra foamy gorilla glue because I didn't even trust my solders, after only doing it for 30 years... %$$%/&/ Nanotech!)

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...-173-nano2.jpg

Hey RG, what kind of scale do you have? I bought a cheap digital off of Wowhobbies, and what a piece of you know what...Far from accurate, and fluctuates way too much! Thanks!

Justin
jabsten is offline Find More Posts by jabsten
Old Aug 01, 2011, 01:28 PM
Joined Dec 2007
530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post

I've made 2S packs of Nanos, exactly like yours (except for using micro deans). I'm not a very experienced solderer, but I didn't have any issues soldering these cells. The trick is not to bend the tabs and use the existing solder on them. Easy as pie! I've tested the Nanos, Hyp 250mAh, and the stock mCP-x cells, the stock ones are mediocre, but still fine for lower C applications (Beast, Alula, mSR, mCX Tandem, mCP-x hovering, etc.). The Hyps and Nanos have exactly the same performance subjectively, and objectively (under 1 Amp testing). Nevertheless, I won't make any more 2S packs (just a Y-harness) too keep my cells cross-compatible.

I have more faith in Hyperion than HK, hence only have the 9 Nanos I snarfed for 1.99 USD each during the swarm offer.
McMoron is offline Find More Posts by McMoron
Old Aug 01, 2011, 02:04 PM
No, I dont work for HH ;)
Southampton, Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2009
3,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
Well bowers you can pee further than those two
Lol
Haha, i like it!
Bowerz is online now Find More Posts by Bowerz
Old Aug 01, 2011, 02:05 PM
No, I dont work for HH ;)
Southampton, Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2009
3,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
All three of you are wrong, because it's "you're" not "your". Everybody's wrong sometime.
I was grading the Math, not the English! haha
Bowerz is online now Find More Posts by Bowerz
Old Aug 01, 2011, 03:51 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabsten View Post
Hey RG, what kind of scale do you have? I bought a cheap digital off of Wowhobbies, and what a piece of you know what...Far from accurate, and fluctuates way too much! Thanks!

Justin
Something I bought from DealExtreme. It does look like a Ipod. Cover is solid, so I can really bash it around. They made a mistake and sent me a 500mg one instead of the 1Kg I had ordered. (Same resolution). To fix the problem, they asked me to pay a little bit for shipping and would send me the 1Kg. I did (one is in my TX case, other is on my bench). We have a lab at work, and we have those calibrated weights that you can only manipulate with gloves to check scales. I tested both of them, and they were very accurate on the full range. (Let's put it that way, the lab rat was VERY surprised).
Old Aug 01, 2011, 03:51 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMoron View Post
I've made 2S packs of Nanos, exactly like yours (except for using micro deans). I'm not a very experienced solderer, but I didn't have any issues soldering these cells. The trick is not to bend the tabs and use the existing solder on them.
That was my mistake... Mine had very long tabs, so I cut them right away, removing the solder section. And since I left only about 3/16th of an inch, from then on, getting them hot was a problem. One of the tab is really easy to solder (negative I think), but the other one was a real pain. Trust me, if I had to make another pack of those, I would not cut those tabs anymore... Learned my lesson.

Just made a Hyperion pack from those mCP-x batteries as well. (It's very windy, nothing else to do! ) Those soldered very easily again, but wow, did they use a lot of silicone on them. Will be flying this pack as well soon but not expecting much either. (from my 240mah pack I mean)