HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2012, 09:43 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,935 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
and somehow I just do not understand some folks negative reactions to the Stryker180. Granted wings and delta are not for everyone but even box stock it lauches and flys great and with a better prop(s) and LiPolys it really performs.
Yep, guy was whining on to me the other day about how bad he thought the UM Stryker was. According to him it's 'unlaunchable'.

Of course it all came down to his launch technique which, to say the least, was cackhanded. Anyway, I showed him how to launch frisbee style and he had to eat his words although he still says it flies badly, which it does with him at the Tx. All he wants to do is compare the tiny Stryker to something much bigger and much more expensive.

I told him he was being stupid and now he is in a sulk and won't talk to me.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2012, 09:47 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,113 Posts
Strykers are like Marmite, you either love them or hate them!!!

You just have to agree to dissagree
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LemonRx V3 stab in Parkzone Ka8
Old Jan 22, 2012, 09:54 AM
Free crash course available!!!
United States, NJ, Mahwah
Joined Oct 2011
123 Posts
How I am glad that I fell in love with the UM Stryker ...I feel pity for those who dislike it and loose the chance to enjoy flying this awesome plane...
bs_sunil is offline Find More Posts by bs_sunil
Old Jan 22, 2012, 09:54 AM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,771 Posts
Some people cant fly anything, believe me 4 months working in a very busy hobbyshop I get broken planes in all the time.people come in looking for a jet when they need to be buying a Champ or j3 cub.
Not flown the micro but the big boy F27Q is a blast. but only good for going fast and flat spins
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old Jan 22, 2012, 09:58 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,935 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
Strykers are like Marmite, you either love them or hate them!!!

You just have to agree to dissagree
I'm struggling with the concept of not liking something with such a massive flight envelope that you can fly it any way you want. Also I just don't understand the mentality of not liking something that's so much fun.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:05 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,113 Posts
Same here Gerry!!

BUT. it's a pusher, it's a delta, no wheels etc.
Some luddites just dont get it
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2012, 11:41 AM
"Add Lightness"..Colin Chapman
Keystone State, USA
Joined Jun 2007
1,139 Posts
Just popped onto this thread for the 1st time in a while and saw the
interesting posts above.

I think the UM Stryker is really cool. Probably one of the coolest UM's out there. However I think it just comes down to preference, etc.

It just didn't appeal to me for some reason and I just sold mine to a nice person who will enjoy it I'm sure. I wish I could put my finger on exactly why
I didn't like it but I can't. For some reason the more traditional planks such as the UM Beast and Sbach give me more enjoyment.

I'm going to take my Stryker money and put it toward the Gee Bee.
Elisecat is offline Find More Posts by Elisecat
Old Jan 22, 2012, 11:52 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,113 Posts
Elisecat,

I thought that at first. Usually I hate planes without U/C, touch and goes are such a must for me to improve take off and landings that I dont care much for anything without them. So much so that I would love the Eflite Scimitar with retracts instead of the bigger Stryker, only the price puts me off...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2012, 01:09 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisecat View Post
Just popped onto this thread for the 1st time in a while and saw the
interesting posts above.

I think the UM Stryker is really cool. Probably one of the coolest UM's out there. However I think it just comes down to preference, etc.

It just didn't appeal to me for some reason and I just sold mine to a nice person who will enjoy it I'm sure. I wish I could put my finger on exactly why
I didn't like it but I can't. For some reason the more traditional planks such as the UM Beast and Sbach give me more enjoyment.

I'm going to take my Stryker money and put it toward the Gee Bee.
I have a UM Stryker with the 4040 prop and Hyperions. I don't fly it much, and unlike others I can tell you why. I like ROG take-offs and shooting landings. I like standard aerobatics like 4 point rolls, slow rolls, hammerheads and knife edges. I like 3D moves like pop-tops, hovers, and flat slow rudder-turns. In short, without a properly functioning rudder it just doesn't do the moves I like an airplane to do. It does do elevators and boomerangs, but that's not enough for what I have to give up. I much prever the Beast and Sbach, and in the larger world, my Slick 51.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Jan 22, 2012, 01:44 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,935 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
I have a UM Stryker with the 4040 prop and Hyperions. I don't fly it much, and unlike others I can tell you why. I like ROG take-offs and shooting landings. I like standard aerobatics like 4 point rolls, slow rolls, hammerheads and knife edges. I like 3D moves like pop-tops, hovers, and flat slow rudder-turns. In short, without a properly functioning rudder it just doesn't do the moves I like an airplane to do. It does do elevators and boomerangs, but that's not enough for what I have to give up. I much prever the Beast and Sbach, and in the larger world, my Slick 51.
yeah, but didn't you know all that before you bought it? If you only like ROG then why buy a plane with no gear?

For example, I don't like free flight planes, which is why I don't buy them and because I don't buy them I don't need to got and tell the free flight community why I don't like them.

As long as something does what it says on the tin, there's no point buying into it and then being negative about it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2012, 02:25 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
yeah, but didn't you know all that before you bought it? If you only like ROG then why buy a plane with no gear?

For example, I don't like free flight planes, which is why I don't buy them and because I don't buy them I don't need to got and tell the free flight community why I don't like them.

As long as something does what it says on the tin, there's no point buying into it and then being negative about it.
EDIT: BTW, I'm still part of this community. I still own mine and I still fly it, unlike you and free flight.

Of course. I'm not a dope. It's just THAT in addition to all the other stuff. I had to experience the whole package and it came up as not as much fun to fly.

As far as being negative, I'm just joining the conversation that this UM Stryker community already has in play. Excu-uuse the hell out of me.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Last edited by erkq; Jan 22, 2012 at 02:41 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 03:02 PM
Regina, SK
Joined Nov 2006
1,651 Posts
I have the complete working guts from my first 180 and would be interested in trading for some (new) hyperion batteries. If anyone is interested, let me know. It all works %100, but the airframe had an unfortunate case of 'hangar rash' that left it unflyable. Rather than lament over it, I went and bought another

Rob
Rob_G is offline Find More Posts by Rob_G
Old Jan 22, 2012, 08:57 PM
Barnwell, SC
Barnwell, SC
Joined Sep 2004
843 Posts
I'm luvin mine.
Stryker27Q 180 ultraMicro (5 min 11 sec)
hfenn is offline Find More Posts by hfenn
Old Jan 23, 2012, 06:16 AM
Joined Oct 2009
129 Posts
Deleted
DangerDave is offline Find More Posts by DangerDave
Last edited by DangerDave; Jan 30, 2012 at 11:44 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 07:12 AM
Free crash course available!!!
United States, NJ, Mahwah
Joined Oct 2011
123 Posts
[QUOTE=DangerDave;20510298]Another GWS 4040 & Hyperion 240 flight.
This time you can at least see the Stryker

Nice..
You bet, tracking the little Stryker with a video camera is challenging...it gets so small and fast...zooming causes lots of shake while chasing the little one...anyone any ideas on how to have a good video of the little Stryker flying...
bs_sunil is offline Find More Posts by bs_sunil