Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 16, 2012, 09:14 AM
Free crash course available!!!
United States, NJ, Mahwah
Joined Oct 2011
123 Posts
After a few days of desperate wait for the windy weather to calm down, I flew today morning at around 8:30 AM EST. The weather was very calm around 3-5 mph, but it was freaking cold (18 deg F, -7 Deg Cel) and my hands were numb before I could start. But I braved the cold put on the woolen golves and checked if I could feel the Tx sticks. Seemed okay but then here was the challenge before me, how do I launch? The plane was slippery. I somehow managed to grip the little one with the nails of my thumb and middle finger and awkwardly launch it. A little nervous flight adjustments after the launch and it was flying high.

Flight characteristics with 4040 prop and Eflight 200 mah battery

1. Battery fully in the front, closest to the nose - The plane seems to have a tendency to gain height. I had to give about 4-5 down elevator trim. It flew beautifully and was a little bit faster than the stock prop. Landing was simply a treat to watch and was very graceful. The plane floats better now with 4040 prop.

2. Battery fully in the back, farthest from the nose - The plane will be tail heavy and has tendency to stall but manageable. I brought it down and pushed the battery forward.

Flight characteristics with 4040 prop and Hyperion 200 mah battery

1. Battery fully in the front, closest to the nose - The plane was much stable than the Eflight battery and I enjoyed flying it including the landing.

The battery time was very less. I could not time it exactly since i had to focus on many other things, gloves, launch, cap etc and I was shivering. I think the battery time was about 3-4 mins in Eflight and slightly more in hyperion. I used to get about 10 mins flight time during warmer days.

Days ahead are going to be more difficult till summer. Need to find some indoor place to fly.
bs_sunil is offline Find More Posts by bs_sunil
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2012, 05:35 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,450 Posts
Well, the Stryker may now have some competition for the fastest UM...

Scorching Performance - UMX MiG 15 DF (0 min 17 sec)

And this may mean that the board inside that Mig may work on the Stryker! Not the motor though but who knows, maybe the ESC is more powerful too?
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Last edited by RealGambler; Jan 16, 2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 06:34 PM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,703 Posts
wow another product that we won't see parts for for another 6 months that is what really ticks me off about HH. There still no parts for the umx stryker far as I know I have not seen anything for it at work one big reason have not gotten one.
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old Jan 16, 2012, 06:41 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,510 Posts
Some hobby shops are just slow getting replacements parts I guess. Ordered mine from wholesaletrains.com and went ahead and ordered an extra canopy,servo covers,props,motor mount,prop adapter and it all was in stock and shipped with the Stryker.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Jan 16, 2012, 07:15 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,450 Posts
Shoot, I'm in Canada, where airplanes show up one month later than anywhere else in the world, but parts are always available (I've even seen parts showing up before the airplanes here!). I would also say your LHS is slow too...
Old Jan 16, 2012, 07:33 PM
More Planes Than Sense
United States, PA, Wexford
Joined Feb 2010
324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoweredrc View Post
wow another product that we won't see parts for for another 6 months that is what really ticks me off about HH. There still no parts for the umx stryker far as I know I have not seen anything for it at work one big reason have not gotten one.
i just ordered a number of items for the UX Stryker from HH on Sunday and they shipped today.
wgarman is offline Find More Posts by wgarman
Old Jan 16, 2012, 09:59 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,665 Posts
Our local hobby shop has had parts for the um stryker almost from day one as far as I know. I haven't needed any, but several guys have bought some.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:31 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
3,971 Posts
I found some extra damage on my original Stryker so that has now been retired, or more like canibalised! 2 of the servo covers are on my Sbach along with the 3000kv motor, 1 of the servos went into my XP for the ailerons.

All those spares and I've still got a brand new Stryker with a 4040 on it, just have to go easy now
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LemonRx V3 stab in Parkzone Ka8
Old Jan 17, 2012, 05:26 PM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
And this may mean that the board inside that Mig may work on the Stryker! Not the motor though but who knows, maybe the ESC is more powerful too?
Gambler I don't now anything about these jets but it looks like A,E,R to me. Could you please explain this statement as Nothing would make me happier than finding an AS3X RX to scratch build some wings with.
TODD
I R Irv is offline Find More Posts by I R Irv
Old Jan 17, 2012, 06:09 PM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Some hobby shops are just slow getting replacements parts I guess. Ordered mine from wholesaletrains.com and went ahead and ordered an extra canopy,servo covers,props,motor mount,prop adapter and it all was in stock and shipped with the Stryker.

Charles
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Shoot, I'm in Canada, where airplanes show up one month later than anywhere else in the world, but parts are always available (I've even seen parts showing up before the airplanes here!). I would also say your LHS is slow too...
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgarman View Post
i just ordered a number of items for the UX Stryker from HH on Sunday and they shipped today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
Our local hobby shop has had parts for the um stryker almost from day one as far as I know. I haven't needed any, but several guys have bought some.
Well the thing about Hobbytown is that we get leftovers after all the other store front hobby shop gets there parts. I guess I should be complaining to HH about that we get the leftovers then if they have parts to other places already I had not looked online. It seems we never have anything and makes working at HTUSA very hard. I hate telling people NO I don't have it.
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old Jan 17, 2012, 06:38 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,510 Posts
Somewhere in one of the Micro threads perhaps the Stryker or 3D Beast one I read a post mentioning data on LiPolys at higher amps. would perhaps be useful Hyperion 2S 240 mAh ( from bare cells) at 2,3 and 4Amps.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...07&postcount=7

Thread also has some 120 and 180 test graphs in it.

Charles
Old Jan 17, 2012, 07:24 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I R Irv View Post
Gambler I don't now anything about these jets but it looks like A,E,R to me. Could you please explain this statement as Nothing would make me happier than finding an AS3X RX to scratch build some wings with.
TODD
The Mig receiver is PROGRAMMABLE!!!! HH listened to us and gave us a way to change "some" parameters in the new board. No servos on board, and you use the Xport to program it. Nothing more known for now, but truly interesting and hopefully, something we could use on a wing like the Stryker... Would be nice to have a AS3X board for it! It's already a great airplane in the wind, but now it would be rock solid. Maybe I'm only dreaming!

Edit: The Hyper Taxi is already showing the versatility of that AS3X board (somehow, it's a bit like a wing...). So, Stryker next with the programmable board? Who knows!
Last edited by RealGambler; Jan 18, 2012 at 07:24 AM.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 08:48 PM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,842 Posts
Quick question and I'm already sure it's been awnsered, but what's the max amp draw on the esc on the ar6400bl (specificly the stryker)
foam and tape is online now Find More Posts by foam and tape
Old Jan 18, 2012, 05:13 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,510 Posts
Official claimed by HH I do not know but mine (Stryker) trips at 4A.

Anyone else notice that E flite seems to be underrating claimed capacity?

Amusing note. While testing a n E flite 2S 25C 200mAh at 2A it delivered 221mAh. Years ago some vendor / manufactures underrated their LiPoly cell's capacity to perhaps make them look better.

A 200 mAh at 2 A is a 10C discharge.
A 220 mAh at 2A is a 9.09 C discharge.

E flite 200 weighs 13.5 gram @ 2A delivered 221 mAh down to 3.3 per cell (6.6V)

My assembled from bare cells 240 mAh Hyp. weighs 14.4 grams and @ 2A delivered 235 mAh down to 3.3 per celll (6.6V)

221 / 13.5 = 16.37
235 / 14.4 =16.31

It would seem that the GWS 4040 prop is right at ESC limits static.

Stryker 180 Test Data

Stock prop 3.75 X 3

E flite 25C 200
16,700 WOT / 13,500 @ 1/2 Thro.

Hyp. 180 Same RPMs as above

Max A 2.72 / 20.2 watts
Holds 2.5A / 18 watts

GWS 4040 prop

Max. A 3.96 / 29.5 watts

Holds 12,300 RPMS / 3.7A

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Jan 18, 2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 01:50 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,450 Posts
Just been confirmed.... The new Mig 15 AS3X receiver is programmable, but only for standard airplane configuration... So it will not work on the Stryker. Me sad... Oh well, maybe next revision!