SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 02, 2011, 11:46 PM
Work....fly, repeat...
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Joined Jul 2008
1,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
Indeed! Yesterday at twilight I thought I saw, way out on our ENE horizon, a UM F-27Q porpoising and looping directionlessly.

Must have been yours.

Ha. From Cville, very likely could have been. Hey, anywhere out your way a good spot to slope fly a Radian?
AeroRecon is offline Find More Posts by AeroRecon
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2011, 04:24 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroRecon View Post
I take too many risks with it. Or fly too far out at high speed in low light and just loose it for a split sec. Boink! and the nose front half snaps off and/or crushes and twists.
Never should have started with any glues, though. First time it happened the boiling water trick straightened it all back out and I just used Purple Scotch tape to hold it together. Can still use the trick but less effective with glue in the mix now. Oh well. Still flies great, just getting heavier.
Fun little plane.
Totally agree!!

It brings out the hooligan pilot in me, always wants more
The only real problem I have is with orientation once it starts to get dark. Not full on night time...... anyhow, that's Sbach, Mozzie, Extra 300 and Trex 450 time
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Nov 03, 2011, 11:16 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Well I found the wind limits of the Stryker yesterday, LOL! I was flying with a buddy, I had been flying an older balsa sport plane I have and landed it and put the Stryker up. I did a couple of loops and then flew it up high to do a boomerang when suddenly the wind went from around 2 mph to insane. It nearly knocked me off my feet! I had noticed it was getting dark in the distance, but figured we had 10 minutes or so. Nope! At near full throttle pointed straight into the wind it had negative ground speed (was going backwards)! Discretion got the better part of valor and I decided to land Man it was hairy, by then the Stryker was slightly downfield and as it approached the ground it was getting blown around all over the place. I got it down in one piece, but the wind just picked it right back up again and sent it cartwheeling down the field! As it went I started to see parts flying off I caught up to the parts first (canopy and nose) and then sprinted after the airframe as it was still pinwheeling away! I did finally recover it Wow! Luckily the only damage was a clean nose break, it was a 30 second repair. I am really glad I wasn't still flying the balsa plane, it would have been in splinters! I checked Weatherbug when I got home and it was showing 41 mph gusts. On the news later they said the winds were 45 mph on the leading edge of the front. Yikes!
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Nov 03, 2011, 03:19 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroRecon View Post
Ha. From Cville, very likely could have been. Hey, anywhere out your way a good spot to slope fly a Radian?
There probably are good spots, especially around the Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway. However, I don't know any specifics. (I am interested in gliders, but haven't tried my hand with them yet.)

This web page might be helpful. It has links to to flock of nearby soaring sites.

http://www.slopeflyer.com/artman/pub...ticle_83.shtml

//ps - Mr. Wright.....
pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Nov 04, 2011, 02:32 AM
Fast? I got something 4 ya!
United States, WI, Oak Creek
Joined Oct 2007
2,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tres Wright View Post
Well I found the wind limits of the Stryker yesterday, LOL! I was flying with a buddy, I had been flying an older balsa sport plane I have and landed it and put the Stryker up. I did a couple of loops and then flew it up high to do a boomerang when suddenly the wind went from around 2 mph to insane. It nearly knocked me off my feet! I had noticed it was getting dark in the distance, but figured we had 10 minutes or so. Nope! At near full throttle pointed straight into the wind it had negative ground speed (was going backwards)! Discretion got the better part of valor and I decided to land Man it was hairy, by then the Stryker was slightly downfield and as it approached the ground it was getting blown around all over the place. I got it down in one piece, but the wind just picked it right back up again and sent it cartwheeling down the field! As it went I started to see parts flying off I caught up to the parts first (canopy and nose) and then sprinted after the airframe as it was still pinwheeling away! I did finally recover it Wow! Luckily the only damage was a clean nose break, it was a 30 second repair. I am really glad I wasn't still flying the balsa plane, it would have been in splinters! I checked Weatherbug when I got home and it was showing 41 mph gusts. On the news later they said the winds were 45 mph on the leading edge of the front. Yikes!
That is Yikes. Ive had that happen to me. a huge front came in and i had to do a emergency landing. Planes were blowing off the tuning tables at the AMA sanctioned field. I saw a 50CC gas plane blow upsidedown inverted off the table and crush the canopy. People were scrambling to hold their planes down. 3 people had damaged planes, and they didnt even fly yet!

casey
XtremeWingRC is offline Find More Posts by XtremeWingRC
Old Nov 04, 2011, 08:49 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,522 Posts
Propper flat calm outside now. Still a bit wet but no wind.

Might be time to try out the 180 with my Hyperions and 4040....
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2011, 10:57 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,522 Posts
Maidened the Hyperion/4040 combo! Scouted around my local area and found a huge field with a Rugby Pitch on it, breeze ok, houses far away. Jolly good find.

Didn't get chance to test vertical performance. Come to think of it, didn't get much chance to test anything... Launched power off which failed and hit the deck before I could fly off. Tried again power on - about 60% and got a clean takeoff. I must have been congratulating myself too much because as it flew off it started to roll right towards some trees I corrected and started turning left into the open area. Then it just knife edged into the floor still at 60% power!

Not sure what went wrong? It was deffo pilot error, I just watched the damn thing into the floor as if I were expecting someone else to recover...

Badly damaged too. Snapped nose off, left wing clean broke off and the left pointy thing came off too
Didn't leave the field till I found the LiPo - no way was a dog gonna find it and eat it. I was struggling to find the little pack in the grass so I dropped another on the floor to give me an idea what to look for. Lost that one too... Na just kidding, it worked a treat - once my eyes knew exactly what they were looking for I found it easy
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2011, 11:10 AM
Joined Aug 2010
3,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
.....Launched power off which failed and hit the deck before I could fly off. Tried again power on - about 60% and got a clean takeoff......Snapped nose off, left wing clean broke off and the left pointy thing came off too
Oh, dear.

The 60% power-on launch should be fine. As I release, I give a sharp shap of the wrist for speed, and to get my hand out of the way. Works every time.

That damage sounds bad, but, from the peanut gallery, I'll say that it actually should be pretty easily reparable.
Old Nov 04, 2011, 11:34 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,522 Posts
Yeah, when I first saw it I was shocked it looked like a write off. Just need to get my hands on some of that Gorilla Glue (is that what it's called in England, I've never heard of it before?) and all the clean breaks should go back together easy enough...
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2011, 11:41 AM
Joined Aug 2010
3,617 Posts
Try this (at your own risk)

http://petej.com/blog/2008/03/30/whi...illa-cocktail/
Old Nov 04, 2011, 11:47 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,522 Posts
Na, dont think that'll hold!!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2011, 09:11 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Not sure if you guys saw the coverage about our Indiana State Fair disaster with Sugarland's stage? I was flying my beast before that storm came in, wind started picking up brought her down and in. Less than 30 seconds later winds were crazy and then those were the ones that brought down the stage, 80 mph straight line winds.

Main board was the issue with my Stryker, waiting for one to come in stock and then it ships.
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Nov 04, 2011, 09:25 PM
Joined Aug 2011
41 Posts
Anyone know if replacement fuselages are or will be available for lil strykers?

Mine is in need of some love.
bigmark1972 is offline Find More Posts by bigmark1972
Old Nov 05, 2011, 03:36 AM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Mar 2007
3,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmark1972 View Post
Anyone know if replacement fuselages are or will be available for lil strykers?

Mine is in need of some love.

Ummmm? Alls you have to do is look.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...prodDetailTabs
ColoradoHeliNut is offline Find More Posts by ColoradoHeliNut
Old Nov 06, 2011, 09:23 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,522 Posts
I might get another and keep my mashed up one for spares. Electrics still good
RCG Plus Member