HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 17, 2011, 12:58 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Tres Wright's Avatar
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Well, you're WRONG!!! I overhand launch with power all the time.
There's two kinds of people that launch a pusher from underneath with power on- those who have been injured doing so and those that will be I've been flying over 20 years and I can't begin to tell you the number of stories I've heard and read over the years about people getting severe cuts on their hands from this, and nearly every one of them begins with "I don't know what happened, I had launched this way many, many times before without incident".

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbucher View Post
Dangerous? I think you might get a papercut from the MicroStryker prop. If this was regular Stryker - then yeah it can be dangerous.
A bad habit is a bad habit, regardless of the size of the plane.
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2011, 01:12 PM
Registered User
cjbucher's Avatar
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,568 Posts
Yep, it is indeed a bad habbit but I've been doing it for 7 years with all sorts of pusher planes from UM Strykers to 700 watt Funjets... But it works well for me. I've tried other methods only to break the nose off. The biggest mistake you can make with power on launching is to let go and leave your hand up. But if you throw it like a baseball and let go and keep your hand moving down (which I need to do anyway because I need to get on that right stick right away. Funjets like torquing to the left and if you're not on the right stick right away, it it's going to roll over on you.)

I know it's more risky but it's what works best for me.
cjbucher is offline Find More Posts by cjbucher
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 01:48 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tres Wright View Post
There's two kinds of people that launch a pusher from underneath with power on- those who have been injured doing so and those that will be
That's like saying "there are two kinds of people who fly airplanes. Those who are alive, or those who have died in a crash or will die in a crash." It's just false logic. There are many, many of us who have not been bitten and who never WILL be bitten. People need to apply lessons from full scale flying to the model world. Discipline, focus, what you are doing always MUST be fully on your mind. If it's not, stop, breathe and get your focus back before you continue. People get bitten when they loose focus and do it differently because they are not paying undivided attention to what they're doing.

I've got a Bridi Kaos that I built in 1979 that I flew a lot and is in perfect condition. I never crashed. I was taught to fly RC by a WWII test pilot (the P-38 project). It was like learning to fly the real thing as far as procedure, focus and attention.

EDIT: I mean... think of the danger of propping a big engine over if you don't pay attention and do it absolutely RIGHT every single time! Dangerous? Yes, if you loose focus. Propping a big motor over is NOT a bad habit. You just need to pay attention... always.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Last edited by erkq; Oct 17, 2011 at 01:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:36 PM
United States, CA, Santa Rosa
Joined Mar 2011
878 Posts
I launch mine from underneath under power. Just a little flick of the wrist and away she goes.
asosestrom is offline Find More Posts by asosestrom
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2011, 03:21 AM
BMFA 190658
SilentPilot's Avatar
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,155 Posts
Yeah - me too...

For the first flight I found I had no option but to power away, I couldn't trim it till it was in the air but I couldn't launch it power off till it was trimmed
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LemonRx V3 stab in Parkzone Ka8
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2011, 04:46 AM
Registered User
kickythekick's Avatar
Joined Sep 2011
57 Posts
Are there any good batteries on Hobbyking that someone would recommend for the 180? Would this one work? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html
kickythekick is offline Find More Posts by kickythekick
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2011, 05:08 AM
BMFA 190658
SilentPilot's Avatar
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,155 Posts
I'm guessing they are a bit on the heavy side... A lot of people have CG issues saying that it is nose heavy already - you really needs a pack a bit lighter than that. Plus its got 2 connector wires on it and they are both wrong!!

I got some Miniaviation 2S 210mAh which are great, plenty of extra power there
I am however in the process of getting some batts from RCBabbel, he makes his own lightweight packs from Hyperions.

I've got a couple of Hyperion batts myself with the Mini JST on them, wonder if he'll swap the connectors for me after I become a loyal customer
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LemonRx V3 stab in Parkzone Ka8
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2011, 06:25 AM
Registered User
ChuckTseeker's Avatar
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,406 Posts
I have been giving these Miniaviation batteries http://miniaviation.com/UMX_210.html ago in my Stryker of late and am quiet happy with them, they are just as good as the Hyp's in my books and i do fly both

what i like the best is they work out to about $15 each delivered and unlike the Hyps i have to buy here in Australia or from the USA, they already have the right connector attached works out a lot cheaper for me

I have been using them in my Sbach and Beast too no complaints yet

cheers chuck

PS the Miniaviations come from the UK http://miniaviation.com/index.html
ChuckTseeker is online now Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Last edited by ChuckTseeker; Oct 18, 2011 at 06:36 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2011, 07:39 AM
**I'm Battman**
RCBABBEL's Avatar
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
I'm guessing they are a bit on the heavy side... A lot of people have CG issues saying that it is nose heavy already - you really needs a pack a bit lighter than that. Plus its got 2 connector wires on it and they are both wrong!!

I got some Miniaviation 2S 210mAh which are great, plenty of extra power there
I am however in the process of getting some batts from RCBabbel, he makes his own lightweight packs from Hyperions.

I've got a couple of Hyperion batts myself with the Mini JST on them, wonder if he'll swap the connectors for me after I become a loyal customer

Yes Sir.

Send em to me anytime.

rc
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2011, 07:53 AM
BMFA 190658
SilentPilot's Avatar
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,155 Posts
Good Egg
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LemonRx V3 stab in Parkzone Ka8
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2011, 02:09 PM
Registered User
Gamerjoe's Avatar
United States, CA, Diamond Bar
Joined Jul 2011
515 Posts
Battery Connectors?

I have a couple 200mah batteries from other planes I used to own, and I am considering the purchase of the UM Stryker. Can anyone tell me what the battery connector is, so that I can order a couple of connectors along with the plane?

Parkzone does an outstanding job with hiding this detail from everyone, which I assume is because they want all of us to only buy over priced batteries from them exclusively.
Gamerjoe is offline Find More Posts by Gamerjoe
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2011, 02:30 PM
Registered User
bluemeane's Avatar
Joined Apr 2007
1,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamerjoe View Post
I have a couple 200mah batteries from other planes I used to own, and I am considering the purchase of the UM Stryker. Can anyone tell me what the battery connector is, so that I can order a couple of connectors along with the plane?

Parkzone does an outstanding job with hiding this detail from everyone, which I assume is because they want all of us to only buy over priced batteries from them exclusively.
It is a custom connector. Like the batteries on the beast. It is basically a standard 2S balance charger connector with a single tab on the top rather than two.
bluemeane is offline Find More Posts by bluemeane
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2011, 08:42 PM
MJF
Waiting Fer Da SEFF
MJF's Avatar
United States, GA, Perry
Joined Jul 2010
1,319 Posts
The best launh on the umx and big stryker is throttle up...and side toss it.....works all the time
MJF is offline Find More Posts by MJF
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: got another plane
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2011, 09:40 AM
Registered User
kickythekick's Avatar
Joined Sep 2011
57 Posts
I think the reason people can't get there hands back to the receiver in time to power it before it hits the ground is that they aren't throwing it hard enough. If you are willing to chuck the thing like a cheap paper airplane you may find you have that extra time... Just my personal experience.

Also, has anyone clocked the speed of this little devil? I have a guess but was wondering if anyone knows for sure.
kickythekick is offline Find More Posts by kickythekick
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2011, 10:08 AM
flitelab's Avatar
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJF View Post
The best launh on the umx and big stryker is throttle up...and side toss it.....works all the time
That's how I do my Um Stryker. 3/4 throttle or so and slight toss from holding one if the wings.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product Parkzone F 27Q stryker friz Electric Plane Talk 181 Nov 04, 2011 02:54 PM
Video Parkzone Stryker F-27Q updated 23/07/2011 Anda Inc. Electric Plane Talk 3 Jul 23, 2011 05:26 AM
For Sale Latest PNP F-27Q Stryker (NIB) Kansas City Area $180 rcwarrior Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Jun 22, 2011 11:02 AM