Old Oct 13, 2011, 09:52 AM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
RealGambler --

Thanks - I always fly over grass without wheels and always use a strap. Sounds interesting - might just have to try it.
b,

Should be an excellent choice for you.
Hand launches get super easy with a little practice and a TX neck strap.

Fastest UM plane that I've ever flown.
Can also fly pretty slow as well.
Very stable design.
Very fun and different.
Nothing to be afraid of.

Time to fly...

rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:42 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,141 Posts
Quote:
Guess I'm gonna have to get a stryker too. Are they much harder to fly than the Sbach or Beast or Sukhoi or how do they compare to any of these?
Only thing I'd say is they are faster, especially with Hyperions and 4040 prop. So if you're not careful with your speed it could get away from you. It turns into a dot FAST!
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Oct 13, 2011, 11:18 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker View Post
PS i like to fly mine with the battery just back a bit from the center of the bay, putting it all the way back makes it VERY touchy
I think you're flying a bigger pack though aren't you? That would make sense, I'm flying the stock pack for the time being. I'd probably move a bigger pack up a little too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
There are also some thrust-line tweaking that some have done to get it perfect. I didn't bother and I forget the determination for that.
Yeah, thrust line is another wrinkle, the dive test assumes that the thrust line is close to right (and it may not be on a given plane).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisecat View Post
I prefer to work on getting the control surfaces as lined up and as level as possible mechanically and going from there.
Typically flying wings need some reflex ("up" trim) to maintain level flight even with the proper CG. With a flat-bottomed airfoil if you project the bottom of the foil straight out then the elevons typically need to be a few degrees above that for level flight. The Stryker elevons align pretty well though, so your technique is a good starting point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
I have read the whole thread, but how are you guys launching this?
I hold the left wing in my left hand. I stand at 90 degrees to the direction I'm launching (IE, launching to my left) with my left foot forward and the TX in my right hand. I throttle up to about 2/3 and toss from my right to left, like throwing a Frisbee but without the wrist flick at the end. I've been doing this for years with my little EDF wings and those things are MUCH harder to get on step than the Stryker. This is a good launch technique for launching a wing under power without risking cutting your hand on the prop.
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Oct 13, 2011, 11:31 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Quote:
Guess I'm gonna have to get a stryker too. Are they much harder to fly than the Sbach or Beast or Sukhoi or how do they compare to any of these?
It's definitely closer to the Sbach/ Beast than the Sukhoi as far as performance goes. I'm flying my Beast on a 0547 with Babbel's 180's and it is much faster than it was when stock (about the same as my stock propped Sbach), but the Stryker is noticeably faster even though I'm using the stock prop & batt on the Stryker. But it slows down nicely too, like most flying wings it has a nice speed range and good stability.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:30 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,868 Posts
Thanks for all the input so far - feel free to keep it coming. The only downside I see so far is the "fast" thing. I'm old and not as quick reflexed as I "think" I used to be and sometimes yard isn't quite as big as I'd like. I hardly ever get the Sbach much past 1/2 throttle (just fast enough to roll and loop) and don't care for any more speed. So maybe the stryker would not slow down enough for my yard anyway. I'm also still in the advanced beginner stage and if I roll my Sbach over to fly inverted, before I get much inverted flight in, I'm scary close to the solid tree line 300' or so away and put myself in a position to panic and do something really stupid. Out at the club field, I'll fly it all over with the wheel side up and not be concerned.
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
Old Oct 13, 2011, 01:17 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Quote:
So maybe the stryker would not slow down enough for my yard anyway.
I just posted this in another thread, but I'll paste it here too since it's related to your concern:

Quote:
I think the key to enjoying the Stryker is to fly it like a flying wing and not like a plane. It is completely different from flying the Sbach and Beast (and other "conventional" planes). The thing I love the Stryker for is super-low half-throttle flying, it's actually more fun to fly around and through obstructions than in an open field because it's so maneuverable. I keep it really low (just inches above the ground at times) and constantly transition between loops/ rolls/ inverted and upright flight in a slow, deliberate fashion. It really excels at this! I punch it to WOT now and then to take it up high and bring it down in a boomerang or elevator, then resume the low stuff. I've got lights on mine and when I fly planes in the backyard the Stryker is always the last flight of the evening, flying it as described above when it's dusk and calm out with the lights on is immensely entertaining
Old Oct 13, 2011, 01:32 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickythekick View Post
I just got my Stryker. Any last words before I maiden tonight? I'm setting up my rates at 50% and 30% expo. Do I want to select flaperons on my JR 9303?

I just want an uneventful first flight!
Hi there! I know that I'm going back a bit here but I think it is worth stating that you asked if your JR needed Flaperons mix...

Um, NO!
Elevon mix, YES!

I know it's a flying wing but lets keep things simples
btw, I'm thinking of adding a Canard Nose if I ever smash up the front end!! No more nose heavy problems and yes that will have a Flap mix for propper loony tune aeros worth of a Eurofighter Typhoon
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LemonRx V3 stab in Parkzone Ka8
Old Oct 13, 2011, 03:06 PM
Suspended Account
United Kingdom, Swansea
Joined Mar 2011
2,225 Posts
Nice review video Chuck

Got mine yesterday and maidened the same day
Here's the short version of the review.....

It's frikin ACE"

Seriously, it's exactly what I was hoping for, i.e. tiny, floaty/slow flier if you want and balistic if you can/dare, fantastic flight times for a micro (as long as your not constantly balistic)
It's well made, very easy to set up on the transmitter, charge the battery and fly

Here's some pics and a video
Please forgive the crap pics and video, it was really hard to keep track of this tiny little thing

My mate Richard range testing, all OK

Yes it is in this pic somewhere

Stryker UM 180 Maiden (1 min 8 sec)

Well it just peformed fantastic, that was after some tweaking of the dual rates and control horn positions, turned out that's it's twitchyness was overstated so I had moved the control rods to the outer holes and set expo and dual rates, ended up moving the control rods to the second hole from the outside and flicking the switches to turn the dual rates off
I may still use DR when flying FPV, don't know yet
A little lateral balancing is required as the left wing is heavier than the right plus I would like to try to fix it so that it flies flatter when going slow, because you have to hold very slight up elevator it tends to fly nose up, which in FPV means a view of the sky and nothing else, not sure it can be done though, any ideas welcome
TeeJayBee is offline Find More Posts by TeeJayBee
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 13, 2011, 03:20 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,871 Posts
Any airplane or wing will tend to fly with the nose up at slower speeds. Slower speeds require a higher angle of attack to maintain lift.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Oct 13, 2011, 03:25 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,116 Posts
Point the camera downwards a bit
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LemonRx V3 stab in Parkzone Ka8
Old Oct 13, 2011, 03:44 PM
Suspended Account
United Kingdom, Swansea
Joined Mar 2011
2,225 Posts
Cheers guys
Yes I thought of the pointing down and that will have to do, only trouble is that at normal speed I may only be able to see ground and no horizon
I'll just have to experiment and find a happy medium
TeeJayBee is offline Find More Posts by TeeJayBee
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 13, 2011, 05:02 PM
Can't get enough
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined May 2010
2,274 Posts
I believe my left side is heavier as well. It tends to sink on that side. I have made sure all surfaces are level etc. Even the rudders are fine. I might just add some weight to the right side.

J
jabsten is offline Find More Posts by jabsten
Old Oct 13, 2011, 05:13 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabsten View Post
I believe my left side is heavier as well. It tends to sink on that side. I have made sure all surfaces are level etc. Even the rudders are fine. I might just add some weight to the right side.

J
You can side-side balance by putting the prop exactly vertical and holding it by the top tip if the prop and the nose tip. Might even stick a pin in the nose to balance it on. This is not as important as fore-aft balancing, but it should be done with every plane IMHO.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Oct 13, 2011, 05:19 PM
Can't get enough
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined May 2010
2,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
You can side-side balance by putting the prop exactly vertical and holding it by the top tip if the prop and the nose tip. Might even stick a pin in the nose to balance it on. This is not as important as fore-aft balancing, but it should be done with every plane IMHO.
Thank you for the info I will try that method.

Update: Tried it and my plane is level.

J
jabsten is offline Find More Posts by jabsten
Old Oct 13, 2011, 09:28 PM
Joined Apr 2004
106 Posts
4040 props

where do you guys get them?
AWDEVO8 is offline Find More Posts by AWDEVO8