HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2011, 08:22 PM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by micro_builder View Post
This is the one I have in mine, kv is higher than the park 180, but otherwise its pretty similar. Only complaint I had with mine is the bearings were pretty bad, but it runs on 3S just fine and really screams. Of course, they're out of stock at the moment.

Nick
Thanks, it does look like a nice match, although being on backorder and bad quality doesnt sound as good as i'd have wanted

This looks pretty similar and available:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...or_3800kv.html
and http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_2900kv.html

The mighty AP05 but it looks a tad light:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...tor_5_4g_.html

This also looks like a good match but on backorder too:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...500kv_9g_.html

I'm probably going to try the first one.. with a 4141 prop since you guys bought up all the 4040's a long time ago

btw, does it run fine off the integrated ESC? all ESCs are also on backorder
CrashMeUp is offline Find More Posts by CrashMeUp
Last edited by CrashMeUp; Oct 12, 2011 at 08:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2011, 08:49 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickythekick View Post
I am kinda bummed with the charger it came with.... NO WALL PLUG! If I have a dc wall adapter lying around that fits into the celectra charger would it harm the battery to use it?
NO! If you're talking about the Celectra 4 ports 1S charger.... That one come with a 6V wall adapter.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Oct 12, 2011, 09:24 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
Exactly how I like it and why I fly UMs!

Snappy and lightning fast.
My large 3D planes all feel slow now.

rc
I have to agree. I maidened my 3DHS Slick 51" today. It was a complete non-event. Six flights, not a scratch on her. VERY relaxing to fly. It felt like a trainer, even on high rates.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very impressed with the Slick... it's just slow and relaxed flying.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Oct 12, 2011, 09:45 PM
Plane Crazy!!!
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Joined Sep 2006
754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker View Post
i do it the way it say's in the manual, i hold it in the grips throw it forward with a little up angle, then put my hand back on the stick, power up "VERY SLOWLY" and it takes off into the blue yonder

never had a problem yet, wind or no wind, you will find if you give it a good wrist flick, something like throwing a dart, it will glide off with no power well and give you plenty of time to take the controls

Flew mine again yesterday with the Miniaviation 210mAh battery and i can tell you flat out with the stock prop, it is faster than any "average" flyer can safely handle IMHO.

as for the debate on it being nose heavy, are you guys sure? or just assuming it is this because you have never flown a wing before and know how touchy they fly and come on here and read "it's nose heavy" so think that must be why it's not like flying like a normal plane?

have you all checked your CG as per the instruction on a steel ruler edge?

Adjusting Center of Gravity (CG)

The recommended CG location is 67mm (2.6
inches) forward from the firewall at the back
of the fuselage.
This CG location has been
determined with the included 2S 200mAh
7.4V Li-Po battery installed approximately in
the center of the battery cavity.
The battery cavity is oversized to allow for
Center of Gravity adjustment. Start by placing
the battery in the center of the cavity and
adjust as necessary.
Balance the model on the edge of a metal
ruler to find the Center of Gravity. Place the
ruler at the bottom side of the fuselage.

try this before you fly next and see if it balances, if it does then your plane is not nose heavy

cheers chuck

NO, ITS DEFINATELY NOSE HEAVY!

I noticed mine needed considerable UP elevator to stay in level flight at 1/2- 3/4 throttle... even with the battery all the way back to the firewall.

Just for reference I have the UM Sukhoi XP and fly it with a neutral CG and it flies great. I also have the UM 4-Site set up the same way. Maybe I'm just too accustomed to flying 3d now that a nose heavy plane doesn't feel right nor flies the way I want it to... I had the same problem with the original UM Sukhoi being terribly nose heavy, even for sport flying, with no room to move the battery rearward.

I agree that a nose heavy plane is more stable and safe, especially a flying wing. However, my UM Stryker climbs into a full loop at full throttle if I don't feed in down elevator. This is not how any A/C should be setup and when I looked at the elevons they were trimmed up quite a bit to compensate for the nose heavy CG (they looked like "Spoilerons"). My original Stryker F-27 full size never flew as nose heavy as the UM version even with the stock Parkzone "lead weight" batteries.

I have a ton of experience flying electrics; Helis, EDF and 3d and everything in between and I didn't dare go inverted with the UM Stryker in it's out of the box state as I know it would have dove earthward with the amount up UP elevator I had to trim with...

Just my experience thus far...
Kilo60 is offline Find More Posts by Kilo60
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:08 PM
4000 posts?!
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2005
4,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashMeUp View Post
Thanks, it does look like a nice match, although being on backorder and bad quality doesnt sound as good as i'd have wanted

This looks pretty similar and available:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...or_3800kv.html
and http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_2900kv.html

The mighty AP05 but it looks a tad light:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...tor_5_4g_.html

This also looks like a good match but on backorder too:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...500kv_9g_.html

I'm probably going to try the first one.. with a 4141 prop since you guys bought up all the 4040's a long time ago

btw, does it run fine off the integrated ESC? all ESCs are also on backorder
Not sure about it running on the integrated ESC, I'm running 3S so I'm using an external unit, but I dont see why it wouldnt work just fine.

The kv is pretty high on that first one, i think the park 180 from e-flite is a 2200kv, but I could be wrong. I'd imagine anything in the 16 to 18mm diameter range, or 8 to 10 gram range should do. The 2nd like you have might do the job. Having a hard time picking motors cause there's so many sure is a nice problem to have!

Nick
micro_builder is offline Find More Posts by micro_builder
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:13 PM
Joined Dec 2010
7,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by micro_builder View Post
Not sure about it running on the integrated ESC, I'm running 3S so I'm using an external unit, but I dont see why it wouldnt work just fine.

The kv is pretty high on that first one, i think the park 180 from e-flite is a 2200kv, but I could be wrong. I'd imagine anything in the 16 to 18mm diameter range, or 8 to 10 gram range should do. The 2nd like you have might do the job. Having a hard time picking motors cause there's so many sure is a nice problem to have!

Nick
I think the motor on the Stryker is more like 2800kv.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:59 PM
Joined Sep 2011
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
NO! If you're talking about the Celectra 4 ports 1S charger.... That one come with a 6V wall adapter.
I'm talking about the one that comes in the box with the Stryker um. All I got was the celectra and a dumb cord with banana clips to hook up to my car battery.... Doesn't seem very practical. I do however have wall adapters from OTHER electronics that will fit.... Do I dare?
kickythekick is offline Find More Posts by kickythekick
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:35 AM
4000 posts?!
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2005
4,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
I think the motor on the Stryker is more like 2800kv.
Ah, must be a special wind for the Stryker, I checked e-flites site but only saw the 2200kv. Thanks for the clarification.

Nick
micro_builder is offline Find More Posts by micro_builder
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:51 AM
Joined Dec 2010
7,497 Posts
Quote:
I'm talking about the one that comes in the box with the Stryker um. All I got was the celectra and a dumb cord with banana clips to hook up to my car battery.... Doesn't seem very practical. I do however have wall adapters from OTHER electronics that will fit.... Do I dare?
If you can read the voltage somewhere on the adapter and it says 12 volts, sure.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 05:20 AM
Joined Sep 2011
57 Posts
Thanks!
kickythekick is offline Find More Posts by kickythekick
Old Oct 13, 2011, 05:34 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
Quote:
When I checked mine, they needed very close to 300mah, so any 12V 300mah and up should be ok. Ideally, you would want 400 or 500mah just to be sure (but a solid 300mah will work)
Old Oct 13, 2011, 06:21 AM
Joined Sep 2010
4,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashMeUp View Post
nah i want approximately the same kind of motor as a replacement, but getting spare parts for eflite stuff around here is terribly long (might be available in 4 month)
so might as well use another motor
OK, we are lucky, we just go to lhs and pick one up for about $15 or so. Have you had a motor quit already? First one I've heard of.

And Horizon web site says the stock motor is 3000kv.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Oct 13, 2011, 06:54 AM
Joined Sep 2010
4,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
I have to agree. I maidened my 3DHS Slick 51" today. It was a complete non-event. Six flights, not a scratch on her. VERY relaxing to fly. It felt like a trainer, even on high rates.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very impressed with the Slick... it's just slow and relaxed flying.
Maybe I'm not the only one that feels this way. One club I fly with are all geared to big gassers and can't seem to understand um's at all. But I just love the versatility of them. Control response is much quicker than most really big planes and you can fly them almost anywhere. Like you, after flying my Sbach and Beast for a week or so without flying bigger planes, the big planes feel like a heavy board with a motor. Guess I'm gonna have to get a stryker too. Are they much harder to fly than the Sbach or Beast or Sukhoi or how do they compare to any of these?
Old Oct 13, 2011, 07:24 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
Guess I'm gonna have to get a stryker too. Are they much harder to fly than the Sbach or Beast or Sukhoi or how do they compare to any of these?
Personally, the Stryker is easier to fly than the Sbach. You won't have any problems with it, other than the fact that it doesn't have any wheels! So handlaunch mandatory (but easy). Just make sure you have a Tx strap, to free up one hand for launch.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 09:39 AM
Joined Sep 2010
4,001 Posts
RealGambler --

Thanks - I always fly over grass without wheels and always use a strap. Sounds interesting - might just have to try it.