HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Sep 27, 2011, 11:18 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBOTI74 View Post
I think you guys are a little crazy launching this thing with power.......

I launch it with no power, throw it like a dart and then apply power as soon as my hand it back on the throttle stick. Guys, she glides for quite a while! I've never had it get close to the ground before I applied throttle...

Either way, still loving my Stryker UM but I'm starting to get a little bored with it after about 4 minutes flight... Wasn't someone working on thrust Vectoring for the UM??? I'd love to try that out...
I agree that launching the full size Stryker with no power is easy when there's some wind. But have you launched it with no wind? You need a very strong arm!

How could you be bored already with the UM Stryker? I'm just starting to be good with upright boomerangs and will now try to perfect my KEs (I'm still really bad with those and may have to play with mixes for that one). It fly slow, fast, inverted, snap, etc. If that plane is boring, then most planes are!
Only thing missing is landing and take-off from the ground, but hey, it does handlaunch easily, and you can elevator land (or boomerang) almost straight in your box which is totally different from other airplanes and look cool doing it.

I love it when I go fly, people ask me questions, and finally go for the "hey, how do you land this thing? And I simply bring it quick, do a cobra, and drop it at their foot.
RealGambler is online now Find More Posts by RealGambler
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2011, 12:27 PM
I fly em', there for I am.
SBOTI74's Avatar
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Feb 2009
667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
I agree that launching the full size Stryker with no power is easy when there's some wind. But have you launched it with no wind? You need a very strong arm!

How could you be bored already with the UM Stryker? I'm just starting to be good with upright boomerangs and will now try to perfect my KEs (I'm still really bad with those and may have to play with mixes for that one). It fly slow, fast, inverted, snap, etc. If that plane is boring, then most planes are!
Only thing missing is landing and take-off from the ground, but hey, it does handlaunch easily, and you can elevator land (or boomerang) almost straight in your box which is totally different from other airplanes and look cool doing it.

I love it when I go fly, people ask me questions, and finally go for the "hey, how do you land this thing? And I simply bring it quick, do a cobra, and drop it at their foot.

I'm sorry guys. When I ment bored, I'm compairing it to my bigger planes. I'm getting into EDF and mild 3D planes and there's just so much more I can do with the bigger planes. Now don't get me wrong, I love my Baby Styker in the fact it's cool, way cool, I can't take it with me everywhere and it does keep me on my toes but it just seems after a few minutes, I'd rather fly my UMX Beast or Habu or anything else I may have drug out with me... I think it's just me though.. Not the Stryker....

As for launching the Baby Stryker, I launch it all the time with no wind... Here's how it goes... I am left handed so the Stryker is in my left hand with my right hand holding the radio with fingers on the elevator/aileron stick. I hold the Stryker like I'm going to throw an overhand pitch. Take one step forward and toss. As it leaves my hand, I give a little up elevator and maybe some aileron if it's not going straight. I then get my left hand on the throttle and away I go. I haven't had to throw it hard or anything. I mean, a pretty good toss but nothing to throw my arm out with.

Catching/landing... Well, that's another story. I'm out here in the deserts of California and there isn't much grass around... So, (don't look AMA) I end up catching it at the end of my flights. Just like you mentioned, a little cobra type deal where I flare right infront of me and I reach out and snag it. I'm actually getting really good at that and haven't dropped it in the past 10 or so flights. Guys at the field are impressed... So am I actually.
SBOTI74 is offline Find More Posts by SBOTI74
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 01:44 PM
Expo is built into my thumbs
Hance's Avatar
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBOTI74 View Post
I think you guys are a little crazy launching this thing with power........
if you think that's crazy I have some that would scare you too death. Imagine a 6x4 prop spinning at 42000 rpm right behind your hand when you launch.
Hance is offline Find More Posts by Hance
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 01:51 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hance View Post
if you think that's crazy I have some that would scare you too death. Imagine a 6x4 prop spinning at 42000 rpm right behind your hand when you launch.
C'mon... you don't HAVE to launch at 42,000 rpm, do you? Wouldn't a paltry 12,000 git 'er dun? THEN nail it.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 02:09 PM
I fly em', there for I am.
SBOTI74's Avatar
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Feb 2009
667 Posts
Yup, cookoo!!! You guys are nuts!! I remember back in 90' or so I was at a local club in Sacramento, Ca (Red Baron flying club) and I saw a guy lose a finger when he went to adjust his throttle settings on a .40 engine. He had it pinned and was setting the high side.... Man, props scare the crap out of me if my hands are anywhere near them. I like all 10 digits I have. But, almost anything you do these days has a risk...
SBOTI74 is offline Find More Posts by SBOTI74
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 02:26 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBOTI74 View Post
Yup, cookoo!!! You guys are nuts!! I remember back in 90' or so I was at a local club in Sacramento, Ca (Red Baron flying club) and I saw a guy lose a finger when he went to adjust his throttle settings on a .40 engine. He had it pinned and was setting the high side.... Man, props scare the crap out of me if my hands are anywhere near them. I like all 10 digits I have. But, almost anything you do these days has a risk...
Accidents happen, but it's SO not necessary. There are RULES with everything... table saws, guns, full scale helicopters (nasty tail-rotor), planes ("clear!"), and, yes rc model props. Stay behind. Stay out of the arc. Reach from behind. Mantra, mantra, mantra... If you're going to do any of these things, it's got to be worth the focus it takes to do it safely. If you can't stay focused and follow the rules, don't do it!

Sorry to be so preachy, but people just don't have to get hurt. Now... watch me loose a finger tomorrow...
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 02:43 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Tres Wright's Avatar
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBOTI74 View Post
I think you guys are a little crazy launching this thing with power.......
I launch mine at about 2/3 throttle, but I don't use the finger holes. I hold the leading edge of the left wing in my left hand, throttle up and give it a gentle toss forward from around waist level. I toss it from in front of me towards the left (IE, I point my left foot the direction I want the plane to go), kind of like throwing a frisbee, but without the wrist flick. Works great and no risk of a prop strike. I've been doing this for many years on flying wings and small EDFs.
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 02:45 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Tres Wright's Avatar
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Stay out of the arc. Reach from behind.
I think you forgot what thread you're posting in You definitely don't want to reach from behind with a pusher
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 02:51 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tres Wright View Post
I think you forgot what thread you're posting in You definitely don't want to reach from behind with a pusher
Well, right... I was referencing the guy who lost his finger.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 03:41 PM
Registered User
cjbucher's Avatar
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,643 Posts
But I don't think anyone would lose a finger on a UM Stryker. Maybe if the prop hit just right you might need some stitches but I doubt it would do much damage to you if you messed up the launch. Most likely it would just sting a little...
cjbucher is online now Find More Posts by cjbucher
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 03:47 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbucher View Post
But I don't think anyone would lose a finger on a UM Stryker. Maybe if the prop hit just right you might need some stitches but I doubt it would do much damage to you if you messed up the launch. Most likely it would just sting a little...
Right. I was talking about the guy adjusting the .40 motor. And, RG got nailed on the full sized Stryker.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 04:14 PM
I fly em', there for I am.
SBOTI74's Avatar
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Feb 2009
667 Posts
Safety, Safety, Safety. All I'm trying to say is, if I can avoid getting hit by any size prop, I'm going to try. Again, find a small grass field and try to launch this UM Stryker with out any power. It will work even with no breeze. I just don't want to risk getting hit.

Now, I do like the frisbee toss idea but I tried it and I'm doing something wrong. I just can't seem to get it. So, I just toss from overhand and hit the throttle before the plane hits mother earth... Maybe a vid of someone doing the frisbee toss would help?????
SBOTI74 is offline Find More Posts by SBOTI74
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 04:20 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Right. I was talking about the guy adjusting the .40 motor. And, RG got nailed on the full sized Stryker.
BTW, no matter what, accident do happen, so with the 50 tools in my transmitter box, there's now a little emergency kit! (Was thinking about doing it for the last 2 years, but never did...). Just saying it's not a bad idea, no matter how careful you are! One little ziplock bag, full of basic stuff...

And yes, I survived the full Stryker without stitches, so c'mon, the UM must be only like a mosquitoe bite? (Kidding, I won't try it myself anytime soon!)
RealGambler is online now Find More Posts by RealGambler
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 05:43 PM
Dinasour Electric
Portland Intl, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2004
101 Posts
prop safety and hand launches.

I am of the old school safety, safety, safety yet as I type this my finger is still healing. I lost just the tip to my wing warrior. I have flown the aircraft well over a hundred flights across three years and I have been flying for 30 yet I slipped up and paid the price.
I launch the 48 inch warrior like a pizza box carried overhead. It takes a healthy push and I have hit the ground before getting under full throttle resulting in lost props.
At the start of this years season I hit the throttle to early and caught the tip of the index finger in the prop arch as the aircraft was leaving my hand.
It was clean but bloody required urgent care to stop the bleeding.
I was glad I had my first aid with me and my spotter friend to drive from the field.
I am exited to own the UM Stryker so I can fly a wing in the school yards near the house.
I sure do not want any more prop strikes on my body in this life time one was enough!
PS I do not count the many nicks in my fingers from starting .049s as a kid
jamgrah is offline Find More Posts by jamgrah
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 06:59 PM
Dinasour Electric
Portland Intl, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2004
101 Posts
I have a DX7 and the um stryker.
I set the d/r to 68% and 50%.
At 68% It does not exceed 100% servo throw in the far corners of stick movement.
jamgrah is offline Find More Posts by jamgrah
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product Parkzone F 27Q stryker friz Electric Plane Talk 181 Nov 04, 2011 03:54 PM
Video Parkzone Stryker F-27Q updated 23/07/2011 Anda Inc. Electric Plane Talk 3 Jul 23, 2011 06:26 AM
For Sale Latest PNP F-27Q Stryker (NIB) Kansas City Area $180 rcwarrior Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Jun 22, 2011 12:02 PM