HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 25, 2011, 02:26 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swind View Post
Loving my stryker, has about 40 flights on it now, but ive never had unlimited vertical like everyone seems to have??? i tried the 4540 but that was too much prop for it, and the 4040 seem a bit better then stock, but i still stall fairly quickly if i point it straight up on full power

Im also finding that the throttle hits mak at about 3/4 stick movement on my dx6i, is there a fix for this, not sure how to set the throttle range on these bricks??
Odd. I get unlimited vertical even with the stock pack. Maybe you're somehow not getting full throttle because of that 3/4 stick problem? I don't know enough to help you there.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2011, 02:31 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Well, I finally found a major problem with the Ultra Micro Stryker! You get so used to fly it, that when you go back to flying the full size Stryker, you're not as careful as usual... I launch it too casually, and got my first prop "stryke" (I handlaunch with power... Thinking about building a launching ramp now!). Oh well, if it only happen once every 250 flights, I guess I'm ok with it!
OMG, that's terrible! I guess you managed to land the Stryker w/o botching it up too?

My launch is: overhand... forward with a last little push up and then release and hand down as fast as I can. You're a full scale pilot, right? I use the same mentality with my models. Checklists... procedures... discipline... focus... what you're doing has the #1 focus, without exception for anything.

Anyway, that said... side-arm launch sounds good!
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Sep 25, 2011, 05:16 PM
UK
Joined Dec 2010
208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Odd. I get unlimited vertical even with the stock pack. Maybe you're somehow not getting full throttle because of that 3/4 stick problem? I don't know enough to help you there.
I will try reseting the trims and rebinding it, then will increact the throttle EPA
Swind is offline Find More Posts by Swind
Old Sep 25, 2011, 06:05 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
OMG, that's terrible! I guess you managed to land the Stryker w/o botching it up too?

My launch is: overhand... forward with a last little push up and then release and hand down as fast as I can. You're a full scale pilot, right? I use the same mentality with my models. Checklists... procedures... discipline... focus... what you're doing has the #1 focus, without exception for anything.

Anyway, that said... side-arm launch sounds good!

Perfect landing, in full control all the time! The propeller was making a very funny noise, but after inspection, was perfect... I have the video but you don't see my fingers being hit, dang! Was a short flight for sure.

Well, they say if you fall from a horse, you have to get back on it. So that's what I did. Flew my UM Stryker 8 times, then my full size Stryker 7 times, then my UM Stryker 5 more times. Was the first time I was flying both of them back to back like that. (I did fly both on the same day before, but one in the morning and one in the afternoon). My Beast is getting jealous now!

As I said, I'm serious when I say that flying the UM make you loose your focus when flying the big one... That's really the worst part about the UM! I now may have a few little scars to remind be about it! Note that my 7 flights on my full size had sideway launches as well (I'm better on the left side it seem, but still have to experiment). Didn't look good, but did they trick, last thing I wanted was to hit my fingers again. Still think I'll build myself a launching gizmo for the full size though!.

Found a major difference between the big one and the UM though. In upright boomerangs, you can add power to make it spin quicker and faster on the big Q.... The small one doesn't like that
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Sep 25, 2011, 07:40 PM
Joined Aug 2011
7 Posts
Piece of Cake to Fly (from a noob)

From the journal of a novice pilot:
My daughter and I just came in from our maiden flight with the Stryker 180. (Video attached Ė sorry for the shake, she is only 9 and using a Flip Cam )

- A little background -
We bought our Stryker 180 at Neat Fair (R/C Air show Northeast Electric Aircraft Technology) last weekend. When we picked it up, we were politely told this was perhaps not the best choice for a 2nd air frame. I wanted to post here because I believe there might be someone else viewing this thread that has been told that this is a difficult plane to fly.

Back in June this whole adventure started when we saw someone flying a Stryker F-27C on TV. We both freaked out and knew right away we both wanted one. After a visit to the forums and hobby shop, SEVERAL people told us it would take us a very long time before we could handle a Stryker. Dejected but undeterred, we settled on the Super Cub as our first plane. I also bought a DX6i at the same so I could buddy box with her once I got the hang of it. We have probably flown it 10 times this summer as we have both been a little busier than we had hoped but that hasnít changed how much we have really enjoyed learning to fly. (Just one nose hard crash )

Well, as Summer came to an end I couldnít handle the fact that we didnít get to fly a Stryker. So, as we walked past all the vendors at the air show my daughter spotted the Stryker 180 and literally started jumping up and down saying: ďLook, itís the baby Stryker!Ē Neither of us could resist. So, I handed over the cash and my daughter and I walked away with our second plane, the Stryker F-27Q 180.

Today was our maiden flight and I must say - It is VERY easy to fly. For anyone who is unsure about flying this thing, I will be honest, I don't even have 20 battery cycles on my Super Cub and I have almost zero simulator time (unless you count Leo's R/C Simulator for my Android) with a push prop air frame. I was able to setup my DX6i with the recommended settings and put it in the air with no problems...

This video doesnít show any of the flight because there are already a ton of those online. So, I figured I would just show off the fact that I really am flying this thing with quite a bit of ease.

Finally, I did manage to crash it today (probably because I was screwing around and trying to do a low fly-by) but I think itís little size and the strong EPO foam make it more durable than other planes. So, donít hold back. If you want a fun little jet that is sure to turn heads at the park, I HIGHLY recommend one of these. Itís easy to fly and even a novice pilot can handle it.

Stryker F-27Q 180 Maiden Flight (1 min 20 sec)
pro607 is offline Find More Posts by pro607
Old Sep 25, 2011, 08:15 PM
Joined Apr 2004
106 Posts
balled up stryker!

Hello,

I crashed the micro stryker pretty hard today. anybody have a good recomendation on which adhesive works best?
AWDEVO8 is offline Find More Posts by AWDEVO8
Old Sep 25, 2011, 08:46 PM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
Gorilla works I have Also used Canopy (Formula 560) it dries clear and flexable

Mal
kushal_22 is offline Find More Posts by kushal_22
Last edited by kushal_22; Sep 25, 2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 09:50 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
Here's my last flight of day... Mostly upright boomerang landings. A bit of low flying as well (and a nice pass just inches above my head ). At least, I have no problem launching this little guy sideway!

Ultra-micro Stryker 180 upright boomerang landings. (3 min 37 sec)
Old Sep 25, 2011, 11:02 PM
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2004
611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDEVO8 View Post
Hello,

I crashed the micro stryker pretty hard today. anybody have a good recomendation on which adhesive works best?
Foam safe CA with matching accelerator is easiest to work with and keeps everything light. My stryker didn't even need to be balanced after I rebuilt one wingtip.
AgentCow007 is offline Find More Posts by AgentCow007
Old Sep 26, 2011, 12:09 AM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentCow007 View Post
Foam safe CA with matching accelerator is easiest to work with and keeps everything light. My stryker didn't even need to be balanced after I rebuilt one wingtip.
I find Foam safe to be brittle with this type of foam. how have you found it to be?

Regards
Mal
Old Sep 26, 2011, 12:18 AM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Here's my last flight of day... Mostly upright boomerang landings. A bit of low flying as well (and a nice pass just inches above my head ). At least, I have no problem launching this little guy sideway!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWGanUwoigs
U need a DOHH! at the end of that not a Oppsss

Still trying to get those down only have had mine 5 days and 3 of them wayyyy too windy I gather you need to have aileron on Low rates and elev on high as it states in the How to or can you just go with high rates with Both?
I have Low and High rates programed in but i rarley switch to low rates or put any expo into mine. I really like the Positive feel i get with n expo.
Mal
Old Sep 26, 2011, 05:51 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
I fly high rate all the time. For upright boomerangs, I simply reduce the throw with my fingers in flight (not push it 100%), so no need for dual rate. I kind of like the fact that you can then adjust manually, instead of using a fixed rate.

Well, the last landing was more like a oooops, doh, dang, shoot... But as long as I bring the airplane back in one full piece home, I'm still happy! What I hate is walking that far to get it! I do think I could have kept it airborne, but I'm a big chicken and didn't want to damage it.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 07:47 AM
Joined Aug 2011
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kushal_22 View Post
I Gather you do not have a Charger...This is your first Lipo Powerd plane?
If Not Use yout Lipo charger and set it t 2S @ 0.3MAH

Mal
Okay, so I ended up just clipping the alligator clips onto my car battery for the first charge, but that isn't really as convenient as I had hoped.

I DO have this wall adapter from my Super Cub - http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HBZ1004

Will this work? It is a cigarette lighter adapter which would suggest it is intended to output a similar voltage to what my car puts out. It does say "13V Max" on it though.

Does the extra volt make a huge difference? Does the "max" part simply mean peaking?

I don't want to blow up my only 2 cell charger.

What do you think? Will it work?
pro607 is offline Find More Posts by pro607
Old Sep 26, 2011, 08:15 AM
UK
Joined Dec 2010
208 Posts
ive run the stock 2 cell charger at 14.2 volts and its been fine, forgot to turn my powersupply down I think it will be fine if the adapter fits in.
Swind is offline Find More Posts by Swind
Old Sep 26, 2011, 10:19 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pro607 View Post
Does the extra volt make a huge difference? Does the "max" part simply mean peaking?

I don't want to blow up my only 2 cell charger.

What do you think? Will it work?
If you check the actual voltage of a car battery it's actually in the 13v range and if the car's running it can be as high as 14v. I'm sure the chargers are built to take this variance into account. I've been running both my 2 cell chargers off my 13.8v power supply with no issues.
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright