HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:38 AM
Joined Jan 2010
272 Posts
Discussion
FMA Cellpro 10XP Charger

600W Dual Port charger. 1-5S when using both ports. Was ready to hit the buy button until I saw the 5S limitation.
alexf1852 is online now Find More Posts by alexf1852
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:51 AM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexf1852 View Post
600W Dual Port charger. 1-5S when using both ports. Was ready to hit the buy button until I saw the 5S limitation.
Hi:

Just to clarify, the Cellpro 10XP supports 1s-10s Li, or 2 x 1s-5s packs. If you're looking to charge more than 1 battery at a time and each battery is > 5s, consider parallel charging. With 600W on 30VDC input, you'll have plenty of power. The new 10XP also supports XH MODE that we introduced in the Cellpro PowerLab 8. This means it can easily handle your favorite single or parallel adapters with a simple retro-fit to the adapters; meaning soldering two of these cables to the balance wires on existing JST XH style adapters:

http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/...-10-6-Position

Complete wiring diagrams are included in the new charger's user guide.

You can get the full scoop on the Cellpro 10XP here:

http://www.revolectrix.com/10xp_description_tab.htm

We just announced the new charger tonight. We plan to start a new support thread in the FMA forum on RCG tomorrow.

Tim Marks
FMA, Inc.
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:59 AM
Hemet, California, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,591 Posts
Hi Tim,

It would be cool if you offered these retro fit adapters already made for retail sale.

Also, sell me on why I want to buy the new charger to replace my two FMA 10s and FMA 4S chargers?

Mickydee
mickydee is online now Find More Posts by mickydee
Old Jul 28, 2011, 01:49 AM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickydee View Post
Hi Tim,

It would be cool if you offered these retro fit adapters already made for retail sale.

Also, sell me on why I want to buy the new charger to replace my two FMA 10s and FMA 4S chargers?

Mickydee
Hi:

Of course we already have a full line of adapters available for the Cellpro 10XP. If you own the 10s and 4s chargers already, the new charger is backward-compatible with those. There are several parallel adapters already available on the market. The point is, if you have something you like or one that interests you, it's not difficult to modify it to connect to the 10XP. With XH MODE turned on, it's compatible with the popular JST XH batteries available on the market.

Sell you on the new charger? Let me see, particularly if you can put together a 24V or 30V PSU capable of 700W to 750W, you'd be looking at around 3 times the power of the original Cellpro 10s, and 12 times the power of the Cellpro 4s charger. More power means you can charge high C batteries super-fast, or charge multiple packs in parallel. Max charge rate is 15A on the 10XP, and because the efficiency is improved, there is little if any charge current throttling; meaning the charger runs cooler than the Cellpro 10s. Not knowing what you need to charge, it's hard to say what this would mean to you, but as an example, if the Cellpro 10s could manage, say 6A into an 8s battery, the 10XP will do the full 15A, provided your power supply (or Lead Acid battery) is up to the task. Add multi-chemistry support, automatic charge or discharge to storage feature (Li only), and a very reasonable price tag, and it's not hard to tell that the Cellpro 10XP is good value for the dollar and a significant step up from the older chargers in the line you mentioned.

There's a ton of good information in the link I provided above. Have a closer look if you've got some time.

Tim Marks
Old Jul 28, 2011, 04:26 AM
Joined Sep 2003
1,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Marks View Post
Hi:

Of course we already have a full line of adapters available for the Cellpro 10XP. If you own the 10s and 4s chargers already, the new charger is backward-compatible with those. There are several parallel adapters already available on the market. The point is, if you have something you like or one that interests you, it's not difficult to modify it to connect to the 10XP. With XH MODE turned on, it's compatible with the popular JST XH batteries available on the market.

Sell you on the new charger? Let me see, particularly if you can put together a 24V or 30V PSU capable of 700W to 750W, you'd be looking at around 3 times the power of the original Cellpro 10s, and 12 times the power of the Cellpro 4s charger. More power means you can charge high C batteries super-fast, or charge multiple packs in parallel. Max charge rate is 15A on the 10XP, and because the efficiency is improved, there is little if any charge current throttling; meaning the charger runs cooler than the Cellpro 10s. Not knowing what you need to charge, it's hard to say what this would mean to you, but as an example, if the Cellpro 10s could manage, say 6A into an 8s battery, the 10XP will do the full 15A, provided your power supply (or Lead Acid battery) is up to the task. Add multi-chemistry support, automatic charge or discharge to storage feature (Li only), and a very reasonable price tag, and it's not hard to tell that the Cellpro 10XP is good value for the dollar and a significant step up from the older chargers in the line you mentioned.

There's a ton of good information in the link I provided above. Have a closer look if you've got some time.

Tim Marks
Tim will it work using ford focus battery? I probably would be charging 3s, up to 6s. Also is amp adjustible? Can we fast charge lipo I know it's not safe but some battery you can fast charge them. Thanks.
jcervantes11 is offline Find More Posts by jcervantes11
Old Jul 28, 2011, 08:10 AM
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Feb 2008
1,976 Posts
The official CellPro 10XP support thread is now up.
SteveM732 is offline Find More Posts by SteveM732
Old Jul 28, 2011, 10:12 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2009
4,831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexf1852 View Post
Alex, it's got to be "better" than the Thunderdonkey.
angelfood is offline Find More Posts by angelfood
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 28, 2011, 10:44 AM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcervantes11 View Post
Tim will it work using ford focus battery? I probably would be charging 3s, up to 6s. Also is amp adjustible? Can we fast charge lipo I know it's not safe but some battery you can fast charge them. Thanks.
Hi:

Of course the charger will work using a Ford Focus battery as input. But at 12V, the power out will be substantially lower. There is a power graph in the user guide. For higher powered chargers, these days, a lot of guys take 2 Pb batteries and wire them in series for 24VDC operation. They typically use marine deep discharge batteries. A lot of guys are also using generators at the field and AC/DC power supplies.

Any decent quality LiPo can be fast charged these days. Since about 5 years ago, we have advised customers that if the battery is rated for a 12C or higher discharge rate, you can fast charge it at 2C. The higher the C rating on the pack, the faster you can charge it. Most battery suppliers are rating their batteries on C charge rates as well as discharge rates these days. The 10XP supports 1C, 2C, 3C AUTO charge rates; meaning the unit will automatically calculate the correct charge rate for you, or manual rate settings. The choice is yours.

Tim Marks
Old Jul 28, 2011, 11:22 AM
Joined Jan 2010
272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfood View Post
Alex, it's got to be "better" than the Thunderdonkey.
Maybe so. But the 5S limitation is a deal breaker for me period. For my 26 6S lipos, this charger's dual port capability is useless. I would be better off getting the PL8. But I have no plans for that charger either even if the innards and firmware are better than other chargers. I want a dual port charger for at least 6S. Guys that fly 12S and soon 14S helicopters will not be buying the 10XP.
alexf1852 is online now Find More Posts by alexf1852
Old Jul 28, 2011, 11:53 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,636 Posts
There is no single charger that is perfect for everyone. Chargers like other items are made for a certain sector of the market and at a price point that is competative and profitable.

I just happen to have the CellPro10XP along with the origiinal CellPro10 and two PowerLab 8s not to mention many other chargers. Not a single one of them is best for everything.

Those who feel they only need one do everything charger are in my opinion taking chances I am not willing to take. I much prefer having multi chargers instead of a single dual or quad output charger.

Original CP10 was designed to charge a single LiPoly up to 10S or two each of up to 5S each which were being used in parallel or series. The new CP10XP is a major improvement over the original CP10 . I know that some have up to 4 each CP10 chargers and my quess is there will be many with multi CP10XPs also.

Only thing I really dislike about the CP10XP is the same thing I strongly disliked about the CP10 and that is only two buttons for Menus / programing and no way to scroll forward or backwards.

Some charge graphs here

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post18888257
Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Jul 28, 2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:32 PM
Joined Mar 2009
71 Posts
If you are flying 10S or 12S with 5S or 6S batteries in series. You are taking out the same MAH. This is ideal for parallel charging.

I think my PL8 is a great charger. I charge 4 4S5000 packs at a time at 40 amps total or 10 amps per lipo.

I come to the flield with my packs at storage level and in 15 minutes I am ready to fly.
KAW_Concours is offline Find More Posts by KAW_Concours
Old Jul 28, 2011, 04:20 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAW_Concours View Post
If you are flying 10S or 12S with 5S or 6S batteries in series. You are taking out the same MAH. This is ideal for parallel charging.
The XP is capped at 15 amps max. If the charger would have been expanded to 12s, then you could charge 2x 6s packs at 15amps each. For a 3000 mah pack that is 5c. Or 3c for two 5000 mah packs. IMO that would have been the near perfect charger for every helicopter setup from 450 to 700. No need to parallel charge. But since a 6s pack requires both ports that means you can only charge single 6s pack at 15 amps max.
Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99
Old Jul 28, 2011, 04:54 PM
myp
Joined Oct 2007
1,103 Posts
When charging two 5S at the same time with the 2 ports, are the batteries being charged in series or in parallel? I seemed to remember that the original CP10 charges in series (could be wrong).
myp is offline Find More Posts by myp
Old Jul 28, 2011, 05:00 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by myp View Post
When charging two 5S at the same time with the 2 ports, are the batteries being charged in series or in parallel? I seemed to remember that the original CP10 charges in series (could be wrong).
Hi:

Yes, when you connect 2 x 5s packs to the Cellpro 10XP, the packs get wired in series inside of the charger. The charger sees the 2 packs as one 10s pack. Think of it as a 10s charger with the added benefit of connecting two packs together in series easy. It's important to note that you don't need to have 2 x 5s either. You could have a 3s on Ch1 and a 4s on Ch2, or vice versa. It doesn't care. The two sets of dual banana jacks is where the main discharge leads get series wired. The balancer port voltages must total to the voltage measured on the outer two banana jacks, or the charger will produce a Safety Code. This makes it virtually impossible to make a mistake or charge packs with faulty wiring.

Hope this answers your question.

Tim Marks
Old Jul 29, 2011, 07:56 AM
Joined Apr 2004
184 Posts
Quote:
Note - the Cellpro 10XP charger no longer supports balance-wire-only charging and; therefore, no longer requires the "plug blocker" that came with the original Cellpro 10s charger.
I was very interested up until that statement.

I have a CP 10S and to lose that function is a deal breaker. Otherwise a nice charger.
rick0007 is offline Find More Posts by rick0007